Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Williams system 30 weight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 12:10 PM
Baldor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After pulling these wheels out of the box I couldn't resist throwing them on the scale. Sadly they came in at 940g for the rear and 710g front, both without skewers. That is much more in line with what the system 30x are supposed to weigh, and yes I counted spokes to make sure that they sent me the right set. I know that obsessing over 1520g (the listed weight) and 1650 is excessive, but isn't that what BF is for? Does anyone have a set of these they have weighed on an accurate scale? Should I just accept this variance, for all I know if I asked for another set they would come in the same. Is this discrepancy just the way the industry works with insane weight weenies looking for the lower published weights? I really want to like the wheels, just holding and spinning they are so smooth, but I must admit the extra mass bothers me.
Old 05-10-08, 12:48 PM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair of 30x in a couple of weeks ago. They also seem to be seriously over the advertised weight, though I was trying to weigh them on a flat scale, which means that there is quite a bit of error just from trying to balance them on the scale. The lowest figure I could come up with on that scale was 1720 (760 front, 960 rear) without skewers, but with rim tape, which is 125 g over advertised spec. The high figure was about 100 g more than that.
Old 05-10-08, 02:17 PM
toothless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 30x's were over 1800g. They do roll nice though.
Old 05-10-08, 04:45 PM
huytheskigod

Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar experience with my System 30. I chalk it up to rim tape, difficulty/inaccuracy of flat scale, and low claimed weight. I still really like them but they're MUCH noisier than my Ritchey WCS Protocols.
Old 05-10-08, 06:43 PM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baldor
I know that obsessing over 1520g (the listed weight) and 1650 is excessive, but isn't that what BF is for?
WTF?! The absolute extreme limit of lying about wheelset weight is 100g. Send them back. You can get much better custom built wheels with White Industries hubs and CX-Ray spokes... and the same rims, for a little over $600. 1475g... no BS... no lying.
Old 05-10-08, 08:17 PM
Strong Bad
ride lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note to self:
Never even consider buying Williams wheels.
Old 05-10-08, 08:26 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
That sucks pretty hard. Zipps are very close to their claimed weight, actually slightly lighter according to Weight Weenies. By the way, WW doesn't appear to be very current on their weight listings. Nothing for Williams wheels at all.
Old 05-10-08, 09:01 PM
Baldor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't start this post intending to bash Williams. First, while my scale is accurate, one that I use for baking, I would not count it as a certified measurement on an instrument that had been calibrated beforehand. However I am confident it is in the right ballpark, and I wanted to find out if my wheelset was an anomaly. I suspect a lot of wheels have optimistic printed weights, as can be seen on WW. They are still reasonably light, low count bladed spokes, and there is a part of me that thinks, ooh ceramic bearings. There is also another part that says, WTF, be reasonably honest, or quit using the lead rim tape, and if Zipps weren't 4X as much I'd have dimpled rims spinning up right now.
Old 05-11-08, 03:15 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeSoul wheels, on the other hand tend to be near spot-on with their weight claims. I'm just bringing this up because I've been comparison shopping between Williams and BikeSoul a bit, and they seem to be coming out 'even' on paper... But with these reports of mis-quoted weights, I'm leaning towards BikeSoul wheels instead (which have been well reviewed if you can get over the ship/wait time)
Old 05-11-08, 04:28 AM
mihlbach

Liked 128 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by rruff
WTF?! The absolute extreme limit of lying about wheelset weight is 100g. Send them back. You can get much better custom built wheels with White Industries hubs and CX-Ray spokes... and the same rims, for a little over $600. 1475g... no BS... no lying.
+1 (speaking from experience)
Old 05-11-08, 08:05 AM
Mitro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I pulled everything off and tossed them on the scale:

1610 for the pair of system 30s (690 front, 920 rear).
Old 11-01-09, 11:20 PM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was seriously looking at buying a set of Williams System 30s. I guess most manufacturers weights are off by a 100 grams. I weighed my Neuvation cycling wheelset, they were actually spot on. The brand new Mavic Aksium Race wheelset I have were off by +150 Grams. The Kysrium SL at my LBS were off by +100 grams. These manufacturers must assume that most folks wont throw their wheels on scale and think they have a lighter set.
Old 11-01-09, 11:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

How is this different than the claimed weight vs. actual weight of most cyclists?
Old 11-02-09, 12:04 AM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lame

my 2008 Bontrager Race X Lite have a claimed weight of 1535g

today I weighed the wheelset with Velox cloth rim tape on my Feedback digital scale.... 1520g (+/- 10g still puts them under spec)

also arguably just as durable, if not more, as the 30x. granted, they are much more expensive retail.
Old 11-02-09, 12:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
How is this different than the claimed weight vs. actual weight of most cyclists?
Unlike the wheels, I lose the extra 100g during my morning constitutional.
Old 11-02-09, 11:03 AM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it is important. I throw stuff on the kitchen scale for fun sometimes. Some manufacturers are always spot on (or even less than claimed) while others are more.

I know there's a lot of hype in the industry to get weight down, but it's hard to compare accurately if one manufacturer is using a realistic weight while the other is not.
Old 11-02-09, 11:10 AM
Mitro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine that most of these weights come from samples that the manufacturer sends, which I'm sure is almost always the lightest ones that come off the line.
Old 11-02-09, 11:34 AM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitro
I imagine that most of these weights come from samples that the manufacturer sends, which I'm sure is almost always the lightest ones that come off the line.
more than likely correct but if your really concerned about being accurate you'd weight several wheels.. randomly selected and use the mean weight as your advertised
Old 11-02-09, 11:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
Wheels are an assembly of many components. Each of those components has tolerances. Stack them all and you end up with an assembly that can vary greatly in weight.

Personally I list weights in quotes as "in the neighborhood of" mainly because I do custom builds and I do not compensate the spoke weight with it's estimated length due to lacing and rim dimensions.

I have collected enough data though to really start giving customers more of a good idea of where those estimated weights stand.

Personally I also weight every wheel and include a weight/spec sheet.

I truly can't comment on other's practices, but I would like to think that they are providing the weight they believe is the best estimate of what they can produce.

Old 11-02-09, 11:52 AM
Zen Cyclery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are flat out lying. When I quote weights I give a tolerance of +- 10 grams. Spokes will always weigh the same assuming length is constant, nips never change, and I have never had a set of hubs be more than 2-3 grams apart. So if you have the hoops in front of you then you should be able to nail it down. Williams is lying just like Fulcrum does.
Old 11-02-09, 11:55 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Personally I also weight every wheel and include a weight/spec sheet.
Yes he does.

Nicest wheelset I've ever owned.

It's Psimet.com® for all your Bike Schwag needs.

Pcad Approved
Old 11-02-09, 11:59 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
When I estimate weights, I compensate for spoke length and round each set of components UP to the nearest 5g. Example, the combined weight of one wheel's spokes calculated at 231.449 would count as 235. I count the weight of the nipples, which many people forget about in custom builds. So far, all of my estimates have been over by 5-20g, which is good because I'd rather tell someone their build came in under my projected weight than over.
Old 11-02-09, 12:02 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
They are flat out lying. When I quote weights I give a tolerance of +- 10 grams. Spokes will always weigh the same assuming length is constant, nips never change, and I have never had a set of hubs be more than 2-3 grams apart. So if you have the hoops in front of you then you should be able to nail it down. Williams is lying just like Fulcrum does.
Agreed. My custom wheels came within 20 grams of just using this calculator. The only real variance is with the rims. Spokes, nipples and hubs are usually very consistant.

https://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/wh...alculator.html

Buy your bike parts here
Old 11-02-09, 12:07 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keith frequents these forums so it'll be interesting to hear his side of things.
Old 11-02-09, 02:36 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My next wheels will probably be a set of Soul 2.0's. As much as I love my Rolf Elans, they are a pricey venture. Soul 2.0's are pretty darn close in weight/performance for half the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.