Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chains with re-usable quick links

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chains with re-usable quick links

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 04:10 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,928 Posts
Originally Posted by SourDieseL
So I'm riding a SRAM 10spd chain and for the life of me cant get the damn powerlink off.
Just get the Park MLP-1 and it will come off easily.
Old 11-03-09, 04:10 PM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So i've read after fiddling with greasy hands. So I'm still asking would a KMC missing link work if I cut the powerLOCK out or would I be better off just swapping all the way to a x10SL?
I'm attaching a photo of a SRAM PC-1090R chain with the SRAM PowerLock (left) and the KMC Missing Link-10 (right). I think the SRAM is the right choice for these chains... as you can see, the KMC link doesn't match the width of the chain well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PowerLock.jpg (77.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-03-09, 04:17 PM
ggatsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on the other side of things...
can i use a SRAM link on a KMC chain?
Old 11-03-09, 04:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 448 Posts
See post #14 for the proper match of link and chain. It's all about the width across the inner plates. Shimano, KMC and Wipperman are a little wider than SRAM or Campy.
Old 11-03-09, 05:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I'm attaching a photo of a SRAM PC-1090R chain with the SRAM PowerLock (left) and the KMC Missing Link-10 (right). I think the SRAM is the right choice for these chains... as you can see, the KMC link doesn't match the width of the chain well.
The gold missing link is a 9spd link. Not a 10 spd one - thus accounting for the difference in width.

Old 11-03-09, 05:13 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Wipperman on my 105 chain and noticed that if you don't install it in the right direction (as shown in the directions, of course) my chain skips in the highest gear. Took me awhile to figure that one out, as the link will install either way and works OK in all but the highest gear.
Old 11-03-09, 05:14 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
The gold missing link is a 9spd link. Not a 10 spd one - thus accounting for the difference in width.
Yes, that's a completely wrong link for the chain. Note the huge side clearance.

10 speed chains all about the same outside width, but two different widths across the inner plates. Campy and SRAM are the only narrow models that I can think of. All the rest are wider.
Old 11-03-09, 07:03 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Negative. That is a 10-speed KMC link, right out of the blister pack. It also happens to be precisely the same width as the one that came with my KMC X10-series chain. I have 9-speed KMC master links as well, considerably wider. I also have a Dura-Ace 7900 master link here, and it's closer to the width of the KMC than to the SRAM.

The huge side clearance is precisely the point of the photo. We all agree: (1) got to be careful to use an appropriate master link, and (2) that one's definitely not For me, I'll stick with the PowerLock on the SRAM 10xx chains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0062.JPG (55.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by mechBgon; 11-03-09 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 10:14 PM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS said that shimano frowns on them due to failure of the quicklink. With my meager power output, I can only hope my quicklinks fail so I can brag about breaking them. One thing I do know, its too damn cold out to do drive train maintenance in the late fall and winter in the garage, so a quicklink to bring the chain inside is the only way it gets done. I decided to take the chance with quicklinks.
Old 11-03-09, 10:29 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been using a KMC chain for awhile now and the missing link has been plied off and on a dozen times... holds strong! The instructions say its not re-usable, but the hell it is!
Old 11-04-09, 07:50 AM
DaveSSS 

I missed that the KMC link shown was on a SRAM chain. That's why the side clearance is too large. KMC does make a link just for Campy UN chain that will fit the SRAM chain, too. I even use it with an 11 speed chain.
Old 11-04-09, 10:27 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I missed that the KMC link shown was on a SRAM chain. That's why the side clearance is too large. KMC does make a link just for Campy UN chain that will fit the SRAM chain, too. I even use it with an 11 speed chain.
Cool, that's useful to know. I'm going to suggest that our ordering guy get some in, sounds like a good item to sell to the 11s owner who wants a quickie chain-repair option on the road.
Old 11-04-09, 10:58 AM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So grabbing a KMC x10sl and taking the missing link off it, break the sram 10spd chain powerlink and adding on the missing link should work with my sram chain? then keep the KMC as a back up for when the sram chain needs to be swapped out.

I would only have to break the sram powerlink with a chaintool and then pop in the missing link and it should snap back together no problems
Old 11-04-09, 12:24 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by subframe
KMC DX-10SC here, on both bikes. Zero problems with the chains or the quicklinks, and the chains have held up incredibly well.
The only chain I've ever broken was a KMC DX-10SC. On the first day of a 500-mile bicycle tour, the chain separated at the aptly named Missing Link. It only had about 700 training miles on it. Repaired it with a spare Missing Link, but it was stretched to the point of being useless after another 100-200 miles. I've since gone back to using SRAM chains; they last longer and don't fall apart.
Old 11-04-09, 01:06 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by sstorkel
The only chain I've ever broken was a KMC DX-10SC. On the first day of a 500-mile bicycle tour, the chain separated at the aptly named Missing Link. It only had about 700 training miles on it. Repaired it with a spare Missing Link, but it was stretched to the point of being useless after another 100-200 miles. I've since gone back to using SRAM chains; they last longer and don't fall apart.
Hmmm...something tells me you're doing it wrong.

I've been using and selling KMC DX10 chains for a few years and have never had a missing link failure nor had any customer with a missing link failure. I have literally sold and used about 200+ of them. I currently have something like 50 of them on hand now.

It is a great chain and works better with SRAM drivetrains than SRAM chains do.

Old 11-04-09, 01:30 PM
Shimagnolo

So grabbing a KMC x10sl and taking the missing link off it, break the sram 10spd chain powerlink and adding on the missing link should work with my sram chain?
The SRAM 10s link is the PowerLOCK, not PowerLINK.
You don't need to break anything.
Just remove it with the Park MPL-1, and it can be reused, regardless of what SRAM says.
I've been doing this for a year and a half.
SRAM is just making an end-run around the Superlink patent on a *reusable* link, (and selling more PowerLocks).
Old 11-04-09, 01:33 PM
change
for the better

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jenson sells the KMC missing link in a 6-pack for $12 here:

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+10+Speed.aspx

I've been using the missing link for the past couple of years on KMC chains, Ultegra 6600 chains, and now on Ultegra 6700 chains. No problems whatsoever.
Old 11-04-09, 02:44 PM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
The SRAM 10s link is the PowerLOCK, not PowerLINK.
You don't need to break anything.
Just remove it with the Park MPL-1, and it can be reused, regardless of what SRAM says.
I've been doing this for a year and a half.
SRAM is just making an end-run around the Superlink patent on a *reusable* link, (and selling more PowerLocks).
alright so going with the MPL-1 tool, just squeeze together the powerlock so that both pins slide in and I can remove the plates on both sides to d/c the chain?
Old 11-04-09, 02:50 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wippermann Connex are without a doubt the best quick links one can buy. I have never had one fail, and I use them on almost all of my bikes.
Old 11-04-09, 03:36 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect thread for me right now as I'm about to break the bike down to winterize. So I'm riding a SRAM 10spd chain and for the life of me cant get the damn powerlink off. Ok so I read it's not easily removable like the KMC missing link where you pinch and push to disconnect the chain. So here I am off to swapping out my chain, would you suggest me just picking up a missing link from KMC and putting it on my SRAM while removing the powerlink? Is that even compatible to do? Or should I just remove the chain all together and go with a KMC x10SL w/missing link.
I struggled with this exact problem last week and finally took it into the shop. They had it off in 2 seconds!

1) They used a curved wire (you could make one from a coat hanger or they are often included in some multi tools) to get about 4 inches of slack in the chain that included the powerlink.

2) Then they used a pair of channel locks (water pliers) to grab the powerlink from end to end at a oblique angle such that squeezing the plier moved the pins of the link toward each other but only with force on each single side of the link (in other words, the jaws of the pliers only moved each side of the link and were not in the way of the side coming the other way)....

3) SNAP!!!!! easy peasy. I reused it without hesitation on the same chain after changing cranksets.
Old 11-04-09, 05:15 PM
DaveSSS 

The Wipperman connex is a fine prodcut, but it only fits Shimano, KMC or Wipperman chains. The old 10S1 link would fit Campy or SRAM 10, but it's no longer made.
Old 11-04-09, 06:43 PM
Shimagnolo

alright so going with the MPL-1 tool, just squeeze together the powerlock so that both pins slide in and I can remove the plates on both sides to d/c the chain?
Exactly.
No damage to the Powerlock whatsoever.
It is also makes removing the 8s or 9s PowerLink much easier.
Old 11-04-09, 10:12 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
Wippermann Connex are without a doubt the best quick links one can buy. I have never had one fail, and I use them on almost all of my bikes.
You're doing better than I am. Broke* two of those so far.

*or had a random self-disconnect, with the same effective result

So grabbing a KMC x10sl and taking the missing link off it, break the sram 10spd chain powerlink and adding on the missing link should work with my sram chain? then keep the KMC as a back up for when the sram chain needs to be swapped out.
Since the KMC X10SL and the SRAM 10-speed chains seem to be significantly different in width, check to be sure you don't have excessive side clearance like in that photo I showed earlier. You don't want big gaps that chainring or cassette teeth can wedge into.

Last edited by mechBgon; 11-04-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 10:30 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Hmmm...something tells me you're doing it wrong.
Doubt it. There's not much you can screw up with a press-fit master link. I've been using them for quite a while and never had a problem... until the KMC DX-10SC.

It is a great chain and works better with SRAM drivetrains than SRAM chains do.
I've heard you say this on several occasions, which is why I gave them a try. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the KMC chain and the SRAM chain. Other than the fact that the KMC stretched to the point of uselessness 2-3X faster than any other chain I've ever used... and fell apart on the first day of my 500-mile tour.

KMC may make good chains, but the DX-10SC is not one of them, in my opinion!
Old 11-05-09, 10:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by sstorkel
Doubt it. There's not much you can screw up with a press-fit master link. I've been using them for quite a while and never had a problem... until the KMC DX-10SC.

I've heard you say this on several occasions, which is why I gave them a try. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the KMC chain and the SRAM chain. Other than the fact that the KMC stretched to the point of uselessness 2-3X faster than any other chain I've ever used... and fell apart on the first day of my 500-mile tour.

KMC may make good chains, but the DX-10SC is not one of them, in my opinion!
Again....1 data point does not make a trend, and especially when I have a TON of data points that say the exact opposite. It implies special cause variance - user.

With that in mind I have 2 SRAM chains I'd easily sell you in a heartbeat. They are of no use to me and were only bought as a temporary measure as all of my suppliers kept running out of the KMC DX10 chains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.