Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mike Appel Frame Info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mike Appel Frame Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 05:32 PM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Starck
Sammyboy,
Is this your opinion, based solely on my posts on the two lists you cite, or have you been influenced by the opinions of others? What, preicisely, have I written on those two mailing lists to which you've formed your opinion? Or, if others contributed to the formation of your opinion, tell me howso.
Well I certainly can tell your a ass..........welcome to the club
Old 11-04-09, 10:39 AM
Kurt David
J'aime le velo

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III, 1982 Trek 412 - SunTour Vx, 1985 Trek 300 - Sachs Huret Rival, 1995 Trek 1220 - Shimano, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper - Suntour/Shimano, and a 1937 Mead Ranger - New Departure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appel's shop

Do you remember where Mike Appel's shop was in Madison? I am interested in Trek history and live in the Madison area.

thanks
Old 11-04-09, 03:45 PM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I remember it being on the East side, somewhere just off East Washington, if I'm remembering correctly. That was about 20 years ago that I visited his shop, so I very well could be wrong. I could check with my brother who lives in Madison if he remembers.
Old 11-04-09, 07:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 4,046 Times in 2,755 Posts
Mike Appel was pictured in a lot of early Trek ads and brochures.
Probably shouldn't hot-link to Vintage Trek, but if you follow my link, Mike is on the left and Dick Nolan was on the right.
I'm guessing the picture was taken in '76 or earlier.
Picture of Mike Appel

He is meticulous, which is probably why he was putting on braze ons when I was at Trek and not actually making frames.
Old 11-04-09, 07:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,683 Times in 2,079 Posts
Mike Appel was one of the original Trek brazers, but by 1979 he was already on his ownin Madison. He still maintained pretty close contact with Trek, and a number of Trek builders used to hang out at his shop, including Joe Starck, Dave Tesch (both later with Masi CA), Chris Fiorini (last I heard he was with Waterford), Kelly Gamble, and myself. He was a great framebuilder and quite a perfectionist but unfortunately not much of a businessman. He was always struggling to make ends meet and often lived in his shop to cut expenses. He quit frame building several years ago and sold all his tools and fixtures. As of last year anyway, he was back at Trek doing custom paint jobs.
Old 11-04-09, 07:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,683 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt David
Do you remember where Mike Appel's shop was in Madison? I am interested in Trek history and live in the Madison area.
He had several locations over the years; first just off Washington near Ella's Deli in an old gas station, then on First Ave just north of Washington by the Yahara river, then on the west side on University Avenue toward Middleton near where Whole Foods is now, and in the "small business incubator" in the old warehouse by the new Madison Metro bus garage on Washington.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-04-09, 07:59 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
so...does he do the project 1 custom paint jobs?
Old 02-28-10, 10:20 PM
isoglenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I just found the appel racing cycle thread, and it is good to see (took me seven years to type in the right info). I bought a semi- forgotten black with turqoise size 53 back in 2003, and stripped her down, and rebuilt her up in full Dura Ace. A bike messenger in San Francisco could barely part with her, but I swore to be worthy. All he told me was that it came from waterford, and handbuilt, which was obvious. One ride down mission street, and I was hooked. I then rebuilt her back up, and started to do 60 mile loops around lake baryessa 5 times a week, and the oakland hills everyday that I could. 2-3 hundred miles a week for several years. When I rebuilt her up , the paint was worked , so I had a pro repaint her in silver, Henceforth she's been silvi' ever since. At size 53, she's always been a good size too big, and I conformed to love this bike. I finely bought a 52 big leg emma about 4-5 years ago, but never parted with silvi'. I try to ride her with stationary cycle ops, but still a stretch with the size. This bike gave me hope after moving to New York the day before 911, and being a block away when the second tower fell. Needless to say I came back to california, ( there was no getting a job at that point) I found that frame, and she's still as strong as the day I bought her. Appels are strong for people working things out the hard way. Thanks, I never new about mike appel.
Old 07-09-16, 10:12 PM
appelapprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum and saw that people were asking questions about Mike Appel and ARC (Appel Bikes) I am currently apprenticing with Mike. So please if anyone has any questions for him, I'd be more than happy to ask your questions and try to get some answers for you.
Old 09-02-17, 10:09 PM
topuqua93

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appel road bike!

Originally Posted by appelapprentice
Hey all, new to the forum and saw that people were asking questions about Mike Appel and ARC (Appel Bikes) I am currently apprenticing with Mike. So please if anyone has any questions for him, I'd be more than happy to ask your questions and try to get some answers for you.
hello so you still work with mr Appel?
Old 05-22-19, 09:52 AM
kanawa 

Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Beautiful frames. The lug coutouts on mine are very subtle and elegant.
Old 09-16-20, 08:57 AM
bg18947

Bikes: 72 Iverson Drag Stripper, 81 Raleigh Super Course, 82 Appel 531, 82 Falcon 753, 83 Pinarello Record SL, 85 Strawberry SL, 97 Cannondale F1000

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I went to the shop in 1982 to order a Harry Quinn and the shop owner suggested that I look at a new frame he got in. It was an Appel. I saw the quality of the work and placed an order for an Appel instead. There is no SN stamped anywhere, but I am pretty sure I took delivery of the frame either late 82 or early 83. I raced it in my first year which was 1983. It has a sloping top tube (minor angle) and a very tight wheelbase. Excellent for racing criteriums. Stiff as heck! The paint job wasn't the best on my collection. The paint was thin in a few spots and I can spot surface rust, but otherwise excellent lug work and build quality.

Overdue maintenance and full cleaning during COVID-19. Notice how close the Conti Sprint Gatorskin comes near the front derailleur clamp.

Front decal missing part of the A. His logo at this point used the Davida font.

Another close up of lug work, keep in mind almost 38 years old. Radius hole added to Cinelli lug cutout.

Reinforced chain stay bridge. Cinelli BB shell.

Got the front and rear brake arm mixed up, but that is OK because there isn't a rubber nub on either one for frame protection.

Chainstay bridge close-up

Standard Appel seat binder and fancy seat stay caps. I believe it's all Cinelli caps, lugs, and BB shell of the early 80s.

Last edited by bg18947; 09-16-20 at 09:01 AM.
Likes For bg18947:
Old 05-10-21, 10:10 AM
alexihnen 

Liked 488 Times in 203 Posts
I found this Appel listed for sale in Vermont recently. Thrilled to have the build sheet on this one. Now I just need to decide on a final build and how much touch-up or repaint to do.

Likes For alexihnen:
Old 05-10-21, 01:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,321 Times in 2,381 Posts
Interesting to see this thread come back from the dead and to find out that at least some of the '77 TX 900s were built by Mike Apple as I have one.
Old 05-16-21, 06:53 PM
kanawa 

Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alexihnen
I found this Appel listed for sale in Vermont recently. Thrilled to have the build sheet on this one. Now I just need to decide on a final build and how much touch-up or repaint to do.

perfect saddle. Frame looks great. I wouldn’t mess. Super Or Nuovo full gruppo if it was mine. Gorgeous bike.