Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Kickr broke (again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 04:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,807 Times in 2,595 Posts
Are you taking that off to get to the controller? I need to go do that on the kickr I'm repairing, but are you sure you need to? The video that I saw, the guy gets the whole thing apart and then realizes he doesn't need to disassemble it as far as he did.

OTOH, I believe there was a common assembly error where the keyway holding that pulley was too small. So there are multiple videos on youtube about how to get the pulley off.

I should have gotten the controller out already, I guess I'll go try right now.
Old 12-01-23, 05:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Liked 1,200 Times in 699 Posts
Yes, that is exactly right. I am trying to get to the controller. I'll look again but don't see a way with the flywheel present.
Old 12-01-23, 05:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Okay, I agree. The plastic is a single piece, and is captured by the flywheel. And the pulley won't come off for me either. I see suggestions that you can pry it off with a thin screwdriver, but I didn't get that far yet.

If only there was a company that took trainers seriously enough to make them maintainable.
Old 12-01-23, 09:39 PM
spelger

i left the trainer on its side sitting on the flywheel with the pulley topside, after one full day with PB blaster sitting in the hole it still won't budge. there is about 1.5-2 mm of clearance between the pulley and the bearing. i might take a torch to it tomorrow and see how that goes, if that does not go then maybe a small gear puller. not sure if it will fit between pulley and bearing though.

it is annoying that this is not very serviceable. the direto i now have is much easier to work on if need be.
Old 12-02-23, 09:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Screwdriver worked for me. I think they went from to small of a key to too large of a key.
Old 12-02-23, 01:32 PM
spelger

glad you got it off. i'm still having trouble. did yo twist the screwdriver or pry? how much force do you think you needed?

it is very tight and only soft aluminum so am very hesitant to apply too much gorilla to it.

edit: it finally budged. PB blaster was very helpful.

Last edited by spelger; 12-02-23 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 02:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I beat the screwdriver in with a hammer. Doesn't seem like there was any damage. Glad you got it to move.

The flywheel came off without much force. I have seen people say it was difficult to get out of the bearings. You really do need to take everything apart, it's difficult to get the optical sensor out without removing the stator for the brake.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-02-23 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 06:05 PM
spelger

this is as far as i have gotten:

when i took off the flywheel (practically fell out) it was pretty cruddy inside. was hopeful that dust cause IR blockage on teh sensor. bummer, not so, at least i don't think so. i cleaned up the sensor and at least sort of verified that the TX side is working: un-powered and powered up images, you can just make out the IR illumination.

i'm goign to probe the sensor to see what life it has but i need some test leads soldered on. my eye sight is not what it used to be so i may just wait until my EE daughter gets here the week of christmas. or bring it in and see if one of the younger EEs at work can do it for me, they are such good kids. my kid worked with them over the summer and they all got along really well. in fact, one of them was her TA in her last semester class.

anywho, one of the flywheel bearings seems a bit stiff to me, it does not spin like the other. probably damaged by me prying that SOB pulley off. guess that'll have to be replaced.
Old 12-03-23, 01:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

If you watch rogers2000's video, he shows himself testing the sensor with a mirror. I would definitely do that first before any surgery.
I expect you need a new controller, seems to be a common failure nowadays.
Old 12-03-23, 09:18 AM
spelger

I can try a mirror. What I did do was to cut a round white paper disk, blacken half of it, and attach it to the end of a screw. Then stuck that in a drill and used the drill to spin it at various speeds simulating the flywheel rotating. But I can see a mirror giving better reflection.
Old 12-03-23, 09:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

He just tests it statically and monitors the output voltage. I don't think having it go on and off quickly is going to tell you anything.
Old 12-03-23, 12:58 PM
spelger

my hopes and dreams were that with the dust cleaned from the surface of the receiver it would start to work again. its something more nefarious that that apparently.
Old 12-04-23, 09:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Yeah, it was apparent to me that your processor died. Can be replaced.

I have to control myself on forums not telling people that their processor died. Have to remember my motto, "don't borrow trouble."