Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 10:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4068 Post(s)
Liked 7,664 Times in 3,075 Posts
My wife often reminds me how most people she encounters while riding are very friendly. The young hot shots smile, the packs of racers give a subtle wave, smaller club groups with varying demographics generally say hello. Even cyclists that are clearly in the middle of a hard workout seem to muster the energy to give you a nod. But, the old guys riding solo rarely wave, never say hello, and usually have a sour expression on their face.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-19-24, 11:49 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've seen cyclist riding solo that are a good example of what the OP is asserting about the group rides being witnessed.

Groups have their pro's and con's, just like riding solo has it's pro's and con's.

Just for the record, I ride solo most of the time. Not because I don't like groups, but because few want to ride in the middle of the day as I do.
Midnight Madness rides (12AM to 6AM) most everybody's asleep soooo it's SOLO for MOI
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-19-24, 12:20 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
Without having tried a group ride I can confidently say that this group riding is not for me. It appears stressful and chaotic, ...
Depends on the group.

Based on your description, it's sounding like there are several bunches of people who in your area do such rides. Might hook up a handful of times, to see who's out there, which group(s) might best suit you. Not all groups will be similar.

Definitely, there'll be the "hot rods" and "ego" types who will push in order to focus on the challenge and the outright exercise of it. But if there are enough people in the area at such gatherings, quite as likely there'll be another subset of people who are utterly against such an approach to cycling. (Myself, I'm one of those, as I'm in it for the basic A-to-B and light exercise purposes, not to race or challenge anyone. I haven't often done "group" rides, but the ones I've done have found me settling-in with the sub-group that best matches my own pace and approach.)

If you haven't yet done two or three such group gatherings, I'd suggest considering them. If you find a good match, with respect to goals, purpose and outlook, you might well find it's "for you" ... not as a replacement, but as an addition to whatever other riding and fitness activities you might be doing.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-19-24, 12:27 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
My wife often reminds me how most people she encounters while riding are very friendly. The young hot shots smile, the packs of racers give a subtle wave, smaller club groups with varying demographics generally say hello. Even cyclists that are clearly in the middle of a hard workout seem to muster the energy to give you a nod. But, the old guys riding solo rarely wave, never say hello, and usually have a sour expression on their face.
I must be an outlier of the solo riders, because I always wave. The way I look at it, If a solo rider gets a mechanical, it will most likely will be another solo rider to help yo out! Best to stay friendly!
Old 05-19-24, 12:36 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I must be an outlier of the solo riders, because I always wave. The way I look at it, If a solo rider gets a mechanical, it will most likely will be another solo rider to help yo out! Best to stay friendly!
There are definitely plenty of older guys that ride solo that are very friendly. It's just that the majority seem not to be.
Old 05-19-24, 12:55 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 76 Posts
Freedom, solitude and achieving goals through self-discipline don't mesh well with group dynamics. I want to take a turn when I want, go the speed I want and hop onto a sidewalk if I think it's safer. Can you imagine Rocky in a group training run with Eye of the Tiger blasting? How about Batman achieving the fortitude in group sessions to escape The Pit or Luke Skywalker in daily Force Strengthening classes? Nope Nope and Nope.
An intelligent comment, an accurate assumption or a smart bicycle buying decision don’t mesh with someone named MikeDeason…..

You sir, continue to amaze with your nonsensical commentary based upon what seems to be a lot of time thinking about things and only coming up with daft theories that make no sense.
Old 05-19-24, 01:35 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 212 Posts
I ride almost exclusively solo. Mostly out of convenience since I don't have to adapt to someone else's schedule, I can start and end rides at my house, go at my chosen pace, and modify a ride as I want. I find riding sort of like meditation with the rhythm of pedaling and so on.

Like many activities, some people prefer to do them with others and some prefer being on their own. And of course, some people do both. Nothing right or wrong about either.

I'd also say I see about as many riders solo as not. And even then, I see pairs much more than larger groups.

As for the friendliness or not of other riders. Almost all riders I see and myself included, give a head bob, or take a hand off the bars and a sort of stick a hand out as a gesture to acknowledge the other rider. I'll usually offer a "have a good day" if I pass someone. And most that pass me give a short greeting as well.

Sometimes I'll notice another rider not acknowledging me. I don't read anything into that. Could be they waved just as may attention was focused somewhere else and I missed it. Maybe they were lost in thought (as I am at times) or looking at something on their bike computer. And sure sometimes I get the "I'm such a serious rider, I don't acknowledge others" vibe, but odds are that's in my head and not theirs. And of course there's the busy MUP. It's starts to get silly if you're trying to wave at everyone.
Old 05-19-24, 01:57 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
My last three MTB trail races done in the past were years with groups, we had fun, even had lunch together and we had a good dynamic. I ride solo nowadays, but when I see another solo cyclist or another pack of cyclists,I always wave. I happened two join three times in the past a group of road bike riders with whom I rode on 20 km , it was fun and interesting chatting with them, they were going fast so I was but at one moment I was was out of force so their leader got back to me and kept the group together , then we changed directions.
Old 05-19-24, 02:17 PM
MikeDeason

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 45 Posts
Just coming back from a long solo ride I can safely add that I want to use the bushes when I want to use the bushes. No shame or uncomfortable conversations about the ethics of urinating in "nature"

The sheer volume of 5 am groups was a shock, a whole other world revealed while I would normally be sipping a morning coffee. Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour.
Old 05-19-24, 02:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7162 Post(s)
Liked 11,366 Times in 4,858 Posts
Just coming back from a long solo ride I can safely add that I want to use the bushes when I want to use the bushes. No shame or uncomfortable conversations about the ethics of urinating in "nature"
Have you ever tried riding in a group?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-24, 02:43 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,359 Times in 1,139 Posts
I see very few lone cyclists on these early morning jaunts
You just don't get up early enough. Before dawn I have the road to myself.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-19-24, 02:50 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2655 Post(s)
Liked 3,216 Times in 1,835 Posts
Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour.
And so they have. For every group of 20 riders that you see in a given territory, there are easily 200 solo riders (probably an underestimate). They slip under the radar precisely because they're not in a group.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-19-24, 02:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you ever tried riding in a group?
Either this or is all BS (Which it obviously is, but I’m not going to clue the OP in to his mistakes. All I will say is that the OP needs to work on his game.) or the answer to your question has to be “No.”

I have led many group rides and participated in many, many more. Not once did anyone ever complain about someone needing to take a nature break. Anyone who didn’t have to go soft pedaled about 100’ ahead and then waited for the rest.

For many years I led a group on our club’s century to Brooklyn. I had a special, isolated place for a group nature break. Men went down by the river. Women used the cornfield on the other side of the road. People who didn’t have to go rode ahead a bit then waited for the rest of the group,

Maybe the OP should move to Quebec province. When I went on Le Grande Tour, guys wouldn’t even go into the woods. They would simply turn their back. A few times women rode by and weren’t offended one bit.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-19-24 at 03:02 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-19-24, 03:11 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Either this or is all BS (Which it obviously is, but I’m not going to clue the OP in to his mistakes. All I will say is that the OP needs to work on his game.) or the answer to your question has to be “No.”

I have led many group rides and participated in many, many more. Not once did anyone ever complain about someone needing to take a nature break. Anyone who didn’t have to go soft pedaled about 100’ ahead and then waited for the rest.

For many years I led a group on our club’s century to Brooklyn. I had a special, isolated place for a group nature break. Men went down by the river. Women used the cornfield on the other side of the road. People who didn’t have to go rode ahead a bit then waited for the rest of the group,

Maybe the OP should move to Quebec province. When I went on Le Grande Tour, guys wouldn’t even go into the woods. They would simply turn their back. A few times women rode by and weren’t offended one bit.
+1

This thread is just ... weird.

I don't think the op would do well in La Belle Province. As you say, pretty relaxed attitude about everyday bodily functions such as hanging an elephant. For example, the rooms in one of our favourite hotels in Québec City is designed with everything 'open plan'. I suspect that the op is rather concerned about such things.
Old 05-19-24, 03:15 PM
MikeDeason

Never have and never will. Group biking contradicts my core values of self-motivation and self-determination.

Kinda like how I know I will never like Taylor Swift as much as my 12-year-old daughter. Sure, a couple of songs may get stuck in my head but they are never going to end up on one of my playlists.
Old 05-19-24, 03:22 PM
indyfabz

Never have and never will. Group biking contradicts my core values of self-motivation and self-determination.
I have never eaten Brussels sprouts and never will. They undermine my core value of eating foods that taste good.

Which begs the obvious question: Why do you care what we think, especially if differing opinions would undermine core values of yours?

Are you beginning to see the problems with your construct and follow-ups?

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-19-24 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-19-24, 03:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts

Kinda like how I know I will never like Taylor Swift as much as my 12-year-old daughter. Sure, a couple of songs may get stuck in my head but they are never going to end up on one of my playlists.
the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate... just like in the 'woods' & to group riding, just I shake it off, I shake it off.
Old 05-19-24, 03:23 PM
tomato coupe

Group biking contradicts my core values of self-motivation and self-determination.
This sounds like the theme of a bad essay written for a community college philosophy class.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-19-24, 03:26 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This sounds like the theme of a bad essay written for a community college philosophy class.
Or the bad plot of a Hallmark Channel movie.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-19-24, 03:35 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have never eaten Brussels sprouts and never will. They undermine my core value of eating foods that taste good.
Finally, a subject we can sink our teeth into ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-19-24, 03:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 5,824 Times in 2,944 Posts
"core values of self-motivation and self-determination" Let's not forget self-gratification. Don't need no stinkin' others.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-24, 04:08 PM
MikeDeason

I think the unwashed masses are reading too much into my proposition.

The thesis is and remains as follows "The sheer volume of 5 am groups was a shock, a whole other world revealed while I would normally be sipping a morning coffee. Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour."

Of course, this being a forum, a supposition of negativity coalesced and as Taylor so eloquently ruminates...

Last edited by MikeDeason; 05-19-24 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-19-24, 04:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
I think the unwashed masses are reading too much into my proposition.

The thesis is and remains as follows "The sheer volume of 5 am groups was a shock, a whole other world revealed while I would normally be sipping a morning coffee. Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour."

Of course, this being a forum, a supposition of negativity was coalesced and as Taylor so eloquently ruminates...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
. AFAF
Old 05-19-24, 04:21 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I get burned out if I have to do only solo or only group. I need the variety.
Old 05-19-24, 04:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 955 Posts
No man is an island.
Unless he is solo cycling.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.