Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Minimalist Seat Bag - Silca Matone or Asymetirco?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Minimalist Seat Bag - Silca Matone or Asymetirco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 11:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5057 Post(s)
Liked 8,333 Times in 3,934 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Good point. Hmm. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I needed to use a multi-tool on the roadside. Maybe it's time to skip the multi-tool all together.

I have a mini-pump, so why do I need to carry CO₂ inflator and cartridges? I can leave them home, too.

What remains:
  • spare TPU tube
  • tire levers
  • self-adhesive patches
  • tire boot nylon fabric
  • tiny scissors to cut tire boot to size
  • super glue to hold tire boot in place
I've used my multi-tool (with chain breaker) at least 4 times in the past year. Twice to fix chain issues (I'm done with KMC chains). Once to solve a cleat issue. Once to make seat height adjustments on a new bike.
Old 05-06-24, 12:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7090 Post(s)
Liked 11,209 Times in 4,785 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The truth in the old saying that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.
In this context, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by Eric F
I've used my multi-tool (with chain breaker) at least 4 times in the past year. Twice to fix chain issues (I'm done with KMC chains). Once to solve a cleat issue. Once to make seat height adjustments on a new bike.
I'm betting both times were on an MTB.

I honestly can't recall the last time I needed a multi-tool on a ride, and I've never needed a chainbreaker. But I still carry them all the time -- even when racing. Especially when racing.
Old 05-06-24, 12:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5057 Post(s)
Liked 8,333 Times in 3,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm betting both times were on an MTB.

I honestly can't recall the last time I needed a multi-tool on a ride, and I've never needed a chainbreaker. But I still carry them all the time -- even when racing. Especially when racing.
Gravel bike. Both times it was transitioning from a downhill to an uphill, and shifting under some load. I've gone back to a Shimano chain on that bike.
Old 05-06-24, 01:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked 1,543 Times in 1,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If I had to guess which bf'er would care about the aesthetic appeal of an item that spends 99.999% of its life packed inside a saddlebag, it would've been you.
Lezyne SV Pro-5 (silver) is around $2 more than its V Pro-5 (black).
The reason I do not carry the latter is that I may not be able to find it when wearing my contact lenses.
The reason chaadster does not carry the latter is that it is not sufficiently aesthetically pleasing.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-06-24, 02:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 5,903 Times in 3,031 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Good point. Hmm. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I needed to use a multi-tool on the roadside. Maybe it's time to skip the multi-tool all together.

I have a mini-pump, so why do I need to carry CO₂ inflator and cartridges? I can leave them home, too.

What remains:
  • spare TPU tube
  • tire levers
  • self-adhesive patches
  • tire boot nylon fabric
  • tiny scissors to cut tire boot to size
  • super glue to hold tire boot in place
You have a point. I haven’t used my multi-tool in years and it has considerable heft (must be a paranoid Boy Scout thing)- and with tubeless and no flats in 2.5 years, why do I need to carry CO2 since I always carry a mini-pump as back-up?

Never had a boot slip so will probably skip the glue. I use either a piece of Tyvec or a dollar and don’t care about size (no scissors) because when home, it will all be repaired or swapped out anyway.

Thanks for letting me steal the ideas. Usually BF posts cost me $, so this is a nice change.

Old 05-06-24, 03:03 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12014 Post(s)
Liked 6,775 Times in 3,537 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Usually BF posts cost me $ . . . .
Speaking of which, you’re late. Need a visit from Tony?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-06-24, 03:06 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12014 Post(s)
Liked 6,775 Times in 3,537 Posts
Couldn’t resist, it was hanging so low.
Old 05-06-24, 05:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3554 Post(s)
Liked 3,715 Times in 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Never had a boot slip so will probably skip the glue. I use either a piece of Tyvec or a dollar and don’t care about size (no scissors) because when home, it will all be repaired or swapped out anyway.
I started gluing on tire boots after the Park boot I had didn't close up the hole. The boot bulged out the hole and quickly wore through. Tube went pop!

The glue helps the boot hold the hole in the tire casing closed. Gorilla tape might work just as well as nylon fabric + glue, but what I have is working okay, and I'd rather not experiment with roadside repairs.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-09-24, 04:57 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Yikes !
Can't remember the last time I had need for a chain tool, on the road... Certainly not after going to chains with master links... 25 yrs ? ??
and only once, when I mustta not put the sedis chain together properly...
I do carry a red spoke wrench used prolly 2x in the past 4 yrs... Once for me and once for riding bud.
and some reading glasses - thin folding ones... forget finding small things or reading something without them... used almost as often as replacement tubes... LOL!
also contact info & main Med Card/info...
Ride On
Yuri