Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wooden rims?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wooden rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 02:48 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,108 Times in 7,563 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
OK. Can we talk about rubber seat posts?
The first rule of rubber seat post club is….
Old 05-24-24, 09:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I vote for #2.
I'm on ignore list. That's all I need to know!
Old 05-24-24, 09:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,333 Times in 6,310 Posts
I don't really blame the OP for being a bit put out about the reaction here. Wooden rims are a thing. A niche thing, and maybe something that will never be more than a niche and for good reason, but it's not like he asked about rims made of feathers or cheese. Some of the responses basically boil down to "You're stupid to even think about it.", when the posters themselves clearly didn't look into it at all.

Of course, this IS the internet and that's how things work here.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-24-24, 10:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,682 Times in 3,085 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I don't really blame the OP for being a bit put out about the reaction here. Wooden rims are a thing. A niche thing, and maybe something that will never be more than a niche and for good reason, but it's not like he asked about rims made of feathers or cheese. Some of the responses basically boil down to "You're stupid to even think about it.", when the posters themselves clearly didn't look into it at all.
Simply asking about wooden rims likely wouldn't have generated very many negative responses. But, the OP quickly started arguing that wooden rims are somehow superior to aluminum and/or carbon rims, and he introduced some nonsensical "science" to support his theories.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-24-24, 11:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Simply asking about wooden rims likely wouldn't have generated very many negative responses. But, the OP quickly started arguing that wooden rims are somehow superior to aluminum and/or carbon rims, and he introduced some nonsensical "science" to support his theories.
See "Of course, this is the internet and that's how things work here."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-24-24, 11:28 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,181 Times in 3,202 Posts
Suggesting that most Campag wheels are “idiotic” and dangerous probably didn’t help. I thought that was a weird post and the wheel crash testing for personal info just seemed bizzare!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-24-24, 12:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Suggesting that most Campag wheels are “idiotic” and dangerous probably didn’t help. I thought that was a weird post and the wheel crash testing for personal info just seemed bizzare!
That's a fair point. I confess to scrolling past that bit because it WAS so nonsensical. But some of the criticism of wooden rims as if they were an impossibility was a bit over the top.

Old 05-24-24, 12:29 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's a fair point. I confess to scrolling past that bit because it WAS so nonsensical. But some of the criticism of wooden rims as if they were an impossibility was a bit over the top.
It's one thing to ask the question but then concoct bizarre rationalization and testing programs that trigger the responses. This would be analogous to questioning the validity of horse ownership in NYC for transportation.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-24-24, 03:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,860 Times in 2,962 Posts
I'd forgotten about the crazy "tests" OP alleged to have conducted. Post #11 is a good place to start. And #35 for the Campy fiasco.
Old 05-24-24, 04:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,682 Times in 3,085 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd forgotten about the crazy "tests" OP alleged to have conducted. Post #11 is a good place to start. And #35 for the Campy fiasco.
I'm going to nominate post #42:

Originally Posted by DiTBho
From a purely scientific point of view, I could not conclude anything without first having verified the large numbers hypothesis.
The Large Numbers hypothesis asserts that all the large dimensionless numbers occurring in Nature are connected with the present epoch, expressed in atomic units, and thus vary with time. It requires that the gravitational constant G shall vary, and also that there shall be continuous creation of matter. The consistent following out of the hypothesis leads to the possibility of only two cosmological models. One of them, which occurs if one assumes that the continuous creation is a multiplication of existing matter, is Einstein’s cylindrical closed Universe. The other, which occurs if one assumes the continuous creation takes place uniformly through the whole of space, involves an approximately flat Minkowski space with a point of origin where the Big Bang occurred.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-24-24, 04:27 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,797 Times in 1,890 Posts
But, the OP quickly started arguing that wooden rims are somehow superior to aluminum and/or carbon rims, and he introduced some nonsensical "science" to support his theories.
To be fair, there was ample faulty "science" on the "wood is bad" side of the argument, also.

Old 05-24-24, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
To be fair, there was ample faulty "science" on the "wood is bad" side of the argument, also.
My favorite post of the thread was
It's big,
it's heavy,
it's wood!

Likes For genejockey: