Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 10:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
, somehow without looking like a TDF entry. Just saying, it is possible.
Agreed. I have several jerseys. Again, none of them have Italian dish soap logos on them. None are skin tight. It is possible.
I've never owned bibs but I get it. That waistband thing is a drag. Keep in mind that the sun hitting skin tight synthetic clothing will heat you up like the surface of Mercury. In hot weather, skin tight synthetics may "handle" perspiration better than cotton but it is going to make you sweat more than necessary.
Well, you were mocking riders for wearing kit, I didn't know you were against logos or team sponsor names. I don't mind graphics but I don't have any team clothing. It just wouldn't fit. I also don't wear "skin tight" jerseys. Too fat for that. I wouldn't mind wearing a jersey with an Italian dish soap logo on it if I had the physique for it and I liked the look. Some of my clubmates look sharp in team logo jerseys, even in their 70s.

I also have never worn bibs. I have used various brands of Lycra shorts for about 40 years, even in 110+ weather. It's over 100 for weeks at a time during summer here.
Old 02-23-24, 10:33 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I also have never worn bibs. I have used various brands of Lycra shorts for about 40 years, even in 110+ weather. It's over 100 for weeks at a time during summer here.
If you like lycra shorts you will LOVE bibs. I have never heard a contrary opinion from anyone who has tried both. Imagine your lycra shorts without that danged waistband. Especially if you are at all on the heavy side of the "perfect" physique. I've never tried them but many friends have. They all rave about them.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 02-23-24, 10:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Well, you were mocking riders for wearing kit, I didn't know you were against logos or team sponsor names.
Back in the day when Lance was riding for Trek it seemed like every old geezer (I'm 65 so I can say that) was wearing the "Lance kit". That may be what got me started laughing at that fashion statement. Especially the guys turning their tallest gear and doing 7mph . Lance used to turn 100+ RPM and of course cruise around near (or above) 30 mph on the regular.

Hey, I have a good sense of humor. Sue me.
Old 02-23-24, 10:48 PM
big john

Back in the day when Lance was riding for Trek it seemed like every old geezer (I'm 65 so I can say that) was wearing the "Lance kit". That may be what got me started laughing at that fashion statement. Especially the guys turning their tallest gear and doing 7mph . Lance used to turn 100+ RPM and of course cruise around near (or above) 30 mph on the regular.

Hey, I have a good sense of humor. Sue me.
I knew a few guys who wore Discovery Channel kits. They look ok to me. I don't read anything into it. I don't connect what someone is wearing or what they are riding to whether they are fast. I've been dropped by people who look slow on crude bikes and I've passed people who look like a fashion statement on a nicer bike than I have.
Old 02-24-24, 08:11 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I don’t
Old 02-24-24, 10:48 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
If you like lycra shorts you will LOVE bibs. I have never heard a contrary opinion from anyone who has tried both. Imagine your lycra shorts without that danged waistband. Especially if you are at all on the heavy side of the "perfect" physique. I've never tried them but many friends have. They all rave about them.
As the old saying goes, Never say never. I have both shorts and bibs and only wear bibs when the weather is cold because they heat me up too much in hot weather. Also I find them a PITA when nature calls, where shorts are super easy in that regard. Bibs with cold weather and shorts the rest of the time.

Old 02-24-24, 11:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
THREAD CLOSED -

Old guys whinging over trivial pursuits has run its' course.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-24-24 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-24-24, 11:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
If you regularly see your speed hitting/exceeding 25 mph on the flats, then full roadie kit for sure. Otherwise it's a waste of money and kinda hilarious.
Nonsensical...and churlish!

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-24-24, 12:24 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
I am heavy and bought bibs a while back to try. I love them. They are much more comfortable than shorts with the waistband.
Old 02-24-24, 03:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
As the old saying goes, Never say never. I have both shorts and bibs and only wear bibs when the weather is cold because they heat me up too much in hot weather. Also I find them a PITA when nature calls, where shorts are super easy in that regard. Bibs with cold weather and shorts the rest of the time.
I’m not fond of them either for the same reasons. I also have a longish torso, and they cramp the boys too much.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 02-24-24, 03:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I knew a few guys who wore Discovery Channel kits. They look ok to me. I don't read anything into it. I don't connect what someone is wearing or what they are riding to whether they are fast. I've been dropped by people who look slow on crude bikes and I've passed people who look like a fashion statement on a nicer bike than I have.
I don't connect anything to whether other cyclists are fast or not, nor do I care or connect anything to "being dropped" or whether I pass anyone else while cycling, no matter what they are riding or wearing.

I even know a few other cyclists whose cycling does not revolve around being fast or competing with others or themselves when out for a ride. There may even be a few other such guys on this list who are OK with this lack of "connection." Or maybe not.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-24-24, 06:18 PM
big john

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't connect anything to whether other cyclists are fast or not, nor do I care or connect anything to "being dropped" or whether I pass anyone else while cycling, no matter what they are riding or wearing.

I even know a few other cyclists whose cycling does not revolve around being fast or competing with others or themselves when out for a ride. There may even be a few other such guys on this list who are OK with this lack of "connection." Or maybe not.
We all know how you feel about this stuff, you've made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion and that's fine. Some people are utility cyclists and some just cruise and enjoy the ride.

My comments were in response to someone saying that he laughed at guys who wore team jerseys but weren't fast. It was also said that overweight or slow riders were funny if they rode a racing type bike. My point was that anyone can ride or wear whatever they want and don't deserve ridicule because they are not as fast as someone thinks they should be.

I'm not fast, I don't collect data, I don't "train" per se. I just ride and try to keep up with friends and clubmates. I'm 70 in a few weeks. I'm a little overweight, have COPD and a-fib. I'm pretty far from elitest. I will never criticize another person for the bike they ride or the way they enjoy riding it. I also don't care what anyone wears, on or off the bike.
Old 02-24-24, 06:51 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Beats me how any reasonable person would conclude that someone wearing a team inspired jersey or kit is doing so to try to fool people into thinking they’re fast. I mean … when you’re riding, whether you’re fast or not is rather self apparent, no?

My decision re what jersey to wear;

1. Traffic. I’ll wear solid, bright jerseys when I expect more auto traffic.

2. My tubbyness. Like all of us, I’m sure, I have my “fat” and “skinny” jerseys. Larger jerseys are nice, and jerseys with patterns (instead of solids) tend to hide the blubber.

3. Birds of a feather. I have a lot of “event” jerseys … ones you have to earn by completing a tough ride. When I do the event another year, I’ll wear the jersey from previous years.

Hell, if I wanted to impress people, I’d wear my 2018 RAAM jersey 100% of the time and leave it at that. I think any rational person knows anyone can buy a commercial team jersey.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 02-25-24, 09:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The racer boyz can wear what they want. However with is wrong with us recreational cyclist just wearing T-shirts, and low cost shorts. We save a lot of money, and we are not out to impress anyone anyway.

A personal example is I can get left over T-shirts from rides for as little as $3. And I can buy Champion brand shorts on sale for $15. So my whole "kit" costs me $18!!!! And believe it or not, not very many people have pointed me out and laughed!!!

Last edited by rydabent; 02-25-24 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-25-24, 09:05 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The racer boyz can wear what they want. However with is wrong with us recreational cyclist just wearing T-shirts, and low cost shorts. We save a lot of money, and we are not out to impress anyone anyway.
Nothing. Go for it and be happy.

Using pejorative terms like "racer boyz" indicates your disdain of riders who also wear what they want.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-25-24, 09:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
We all know how you feel about this stuff, you've made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion and that's fine. Some people are utility cyclists and some just cruise and enjoy the ride.

My comments were in response to someone saying that he laughed at guys who wore team jerseys but weren't fast. It was also said that overweight or slow riders were funny if they rode a racing type bike. My point was that anyone can ride or wear whatever they want and don't deserve ridicule because they are not as fast as someone thinks they should be.

I'm not fast, I don't collect data, I don't "train" per se. I just ride and try to keep up with friends and clubmates. I'm 70 in a few weeks. I'm a little overweight, have COPD and a-fib. I'm pretty far from elitest. I will never criticize another person for the bike they ride or the way they enjoy riding it. I also don't care what anyone wears, on or off the bike.
You are correct, my reply should have been directed at the other poster that you replied to, who seems to believe that cycling clothes are viewed by any intelligent person as an indication of how fast the wearer is or wants to be; or that cyclists' visual appearance to others ("looking" stupid or smart, handsome or ugly, or anything in-between) is in any way connected to how "fast" they ride a bicycle.
Old 02-25-24, 09:44 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
This thread was resurrected at post #121 and now it is at post #341 - 220 posts later (more than the original version) and I am still not sure if there is consensus. But it was sure fun recognizing some of the "old" names from the original incarnation. Carry on.
Old 02-25-24, 02:20 PM
big john

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are correct, my reply should have been directed at the other poster that you replied to, who seems to believe that cycling clothes are viewed by any intelligent person as an indication of how fast the wearer is or wants to be; or that cyclists' visual appearance to others ("looking" stupid or smart, handsome or ugly, or anything in-between) is in any way connected to how "fast" they ride a bicycle.
Finally we agree on something.
Old 02-25-24, 07:23 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some think being known as being among the racer boyzs is a good thing.
Old 02-25-24, 08:34 PM
big john

It's not?
Likes For big john:
Old 02-25-24, 10:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I’m not fond of them either for the same reasons. I also have a longish torso, and they cramp the boys too much.
Ditto. Long torso = no bueno por los muchachos

Old 02-26-24, 10:54 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I always enjoy seeing cyclists wearing road kits with top speeds of 12mph. I see it every day. Logos a-blazing! Very aerodynamic!

I'm sure there are many cyclists I see wearing off road kits. Baggie shorts with padded liners, tech-Ts, etc. I wouldn't know for sure because they look like "normal" people out for a bike ride.

If you regularly see your speed hitting/exceeding 25 mph on the flats, then full roadie kit for sure. Otherwise it's a waste of money and kinda hilarious.
What is the required minimum speed for wearing high-end cycling kit without logos? I just want to make sure I understand your rules. Should I send you a pic of my kit before I leave for a ride, to make sure it meets your approval?

I suppose me and my friends looked pretty silly to you on our ride on Saturday. 3 of us were wearing the exact same kit, from the same team. It's the kit of the local club/team we are all members of. On our nearly-4 hour ride, we averaged less than 9mph. Most of it, we were going less than 5mph. It was a pretty hard day on the bike.

I've found that high-quality cycling clothing helps keep me more comfortable - hot or cold, fast or slow, pavement or dirt. More comfortable means the ride is more enjoyable. There is no riding speed or body shape where being comfortable isn't a benefit.
Old 02-26-24, 11:05 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I don't mind being known as an older, ex-racer who can still ride with the racer-boys.
Old 02-26-24, 11:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
On our nearly-4 hour ride, we averaged less than 9mph. Most of it, we were going less than 5mph. It was a pretty hard day on the bike.
Gosh, that sounds like such a good time. Uphill both directions?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-26-24, 12:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Gosh, that sounds like such a good time. Uphill both directions?
Gravel bike ride with LOTS of steep climbing. 5000' of vert in the first 20 miles of the ride. The suffering was somewhat tempered by some really excellent singletrack descents between brutal climbs. Thankfully, I was wearing bike clothing that kept my body temp comfortable the whole time, and was easy to make adjustments to suit the changing conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.