Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help.I bought a really nice bike today and it shows as Stolen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need help.I bought a really nice bike today and it shows as Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 11:05 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Thanks for all feedback.
I am a second generation immigrant so I thought it was important to do the right thing. There were different ideas here and I respect them all. The important thing to remember is we're lucky to live in a land where we can talk about this freely. I hope the next time we all talk it's about something less toxic like how to wax your bike or dog owners with those tiny leashes you can't se until th last second.
This is an honest question, just curious: why did you check the stolen bike database? Was there a reason you suspected it was stolen? I'm not saying I do everything right, but as I mentioned above, I've never thought of used bikes I've bought being stolen, nor have I ever felt an ethical obligation to check on them. Thanks.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-18-22, 11:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
The moral to the story…. When going to purchase a used bike, first run the serial numbers and if they get really huffy….just run.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-18-22, 11:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's amazing how hard some people will work to politicize everything. Is the idea that you can't knowingly keep stolen property controversial?
It works for vaccines, public health, and teaching evolution. So why not?

A whole bunch of people seem incapable of thinking outside of the cliché.
Old 12-19-22, 12:00 AM
Ridinglurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Good for returning the bike.

Really bad and dangerous move trying to contact the thief. This could have ended badly....

Bad move not involving the Police. Now that thief is available for the next "gig". Since this theft was without consequences for the thief, there will be another victim....
Old 12-19-22, 12:27 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
After my bike was stolen years ago in Tucson, a good Samaritan recognized it as stolen because he happened to be in one of the bike shops that I was distributing flyers to when I was there, and remembered me describing it. He tracked me down living in Seattle after I had moved, going well beyond the call of duty, and I got my bike back. I paid him $100 to reimburse the guy who brought it to him to check out, and $60 to ship it to me. I considered it almost a miracle, and was very grateful.

(Hey, if you were that guy by any chance, message me!)
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-19-22, 05:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
4 pages in and we still don't know the circumstances in which the OP actually bought the stolen bike or how much it cost. It would be interesrting to know out of curiosity.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-19-22, 05:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Oh, wipe off your screen, frothy. I call BS on the whole story, but you do you. Now let's see that smile.

Congratulations on the own goal.

You popped into the thread with an insult of a bunch of people on the thread, and then proceeded to post a quote which literally says the opposite of what you were asserting. But you do you.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-19-22 at 05:31 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 08:25 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
There is already a debate about wax here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...opular-32.html
this thread too?
Old 12-19-22, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
4 pages in and we still don't know the circumstances in which the OP actually bought the stolen bike or how much it cost. It would be interesrting to know out of curiosity.
He's making up THAT part of the story right now.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-19-22, 11:15 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
This is an honest question, just curious: why did you check the stolen bike database?
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Now I am curious how you to came together to transact the sale of a bike? This whole story sounds "fishy"
Originally Posted by gene99
who buys a bike like a Synapse without knowing which model it is? sorry but her whole story sounds fishy to me.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Very little of this seems plausible.

OP bought the bike from a "non-menacing older man," but later he's a "culprit" who lives in a "spooky place."

The website that was previously locked is suddenly unlocked, and it miraculously lists the owner's phone number.

OP tracks down the owner and drives the bike to her, but offers no details about the owner's reaction, gratitude, or questions.

The "culprit," his home address known, never gets reported to the authorities.

The OP now has neither the bike nor the money, but "the important thing to remember is we're lucky to live in a land where we can talk about this freely."

If this sounds legit, I've got a Rolex to sell you.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-19-22 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Omitted extraneous detail
Old 12-19-22, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

In this case, I don't really care if the OP is telling the truth or not. The situation is one we could find ourselves in if we don't take precautions before we buy used bikes. If the thread makes people more aware of the registry, then it's already done some good.

BTW, to the people who keep asking "why did you check?", you're buying a valuable good of a type that is often stolen from a complete stranger you may or may not ever be able to find again. But yeah, check before you buy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 11:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Very little of this seems plausible.

OP bought the bike from a "non-menacing older man," but later he's a "culprit" who lives in a "spooky place."

The website that was previously locked is suddenly unlocked, and it miraculously lists the owner's phone number, even though the owner isn't the seller.

OP tracks down the owner and drives the bike to her, but offers no details about the owner's reaction, gratitude, or questions.

The "culprit," his home address known, never gets reported to the authorities.

The OP now has neither the bike nor the money, but "the important thing to remember is we're lucky to live in a land where we can talk about this freely."

Who cares? I'm not voting for OP for president or anything. Even if it's just a hypothetical situation, it's an interesting "what would you do" subject.

I just think your attack on people for playing "detective" was completely hypocritical.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 11:53 AM
Rolla

In this case, I don't really care if the OP is telling the truth or not.
That's what the gullible always say.

I just think your attack on people for playing "detective" was completely hypocritical.
Only if you consider using basic reasoning to be "detective" work, counselor. Sorry I touched a nerve.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-19-22, 12:28 PM
indyfabz

I have been trying to unload a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn for a long time. Maybe this thread will yield a buyer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-19-22, 12:45 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Well, I don't give this out much, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend and am a Private Eye.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 12-19-22, 01:00 PM
indyfabz

Well, I don't give this out much, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend and am a Private Eye.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-19-22, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's what the gullible always say.

Only if you consider using basic reasoning to be "detective" work, counselor. Sorry I touched a nerve.

Your "reasoning" is just pointless speculation and argument from incredulity. None of it's convincing, it's just too trivial to bother arguing about.

And BTW, one of you "reasons" makes absolutely no sense--why would you expect that the OP would get the seller's phone number and not the actual owner's from the registry website? Seriously, your reading comprehension is really, really terrible. Just noticed you figured that out and edited it after the fact, but didn't notice that left you with a total non-argument.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-19-22 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have been trying to unload a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn for a long time. Maybe this thread will yield a buyer.

What exactly do you think we're being conned out of here?

I notice neither of you guys are offering any reason why we should care if the story is true or not, just dishing out insults.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 01:22 PM
Chuck Naill

What exactly do you think we're being conned out of here?

I notice neither of you guys are offering any reason why we should care if the story is true or not, just dishing out insults.
That's not fair or accurate. If I wanted a bicycle and could not afford a new one, there are several options. My suspicion is that the OP found a bike at a price too good to be true. Otherwise, why take a chance and why upon purchasing the decide to investigate the serial number?

I do not see the posts as insults, but to establish a standard that if you follow the OP's path, no good will be derived. I yield my remaining time to the chair. ....LOL!!
Old 12-19-22, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's not fair or accurate. If I wanted a bicycle and could not afford a new one, there are several options. My suspicion is that the OP found a bike at a price too good to be true. Otherwise, why take a chance and why upon purchasing the decide to investigate the serial number?

I do not see the posts as insults, but to establish a standard that if you follow the OP's path, no good will be derived. I yield my remaining time to the chair. ....LOL!!

That's a really different point than those other guys, who are calling people "gullible" which is definitely an insult, are making.

They're basically calling us suckers for even discussing this because this might be completely made up .

I think your point that "if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is" is a valid point, and OP's timing here in checking the serial number AFTER buying it is off.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-22, 01:47 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Thanks for all feedback.
I am a second generation immigrant so I thought it was important to do the right thing.
It has more to do with you being a good human being. You indeed did do the right thing and I commend you for that.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-19-22, 01:47 PM
indyfabz

I don't recall insulting him. What I do recall is saying that I believe his story is fabricated, like underpinnings of other threads the OP has started. IMO< that sort of thing does not belong here. If someone wants to start a thread posing a "What would you do if?" scenario, I'd be good with that, but making up stories and trying to sell them as truths is dishonest. I don't believe this is the place for that sort of thing. That's why I care that the story is not true.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-19-22, 01:51 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The moral to the story…. When going to purchase a used bike, first run the serial numbers and if they get really huffy….just run.
A stolen Huffy??
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-19-22, 01:53 PM
Rolla

it's just too trivial to bother arguing about.
Like that's ever stopped you lol.
Old 12-19-22, 02:06 PM
Chuck Naill

I don't recall insulting him. What I do recall is saying that I believe his story is fabricated, like underpinnings of other threads the OP has started. IMO< that sort of thing does not belong here. If someone wants to start a thread posing a "What would you do if?" scenario, I'd be good with that, but making up stories and trying to sell them as truths is dishonest. I don't believe this is the place for that sort of thing. That's why I care that the story is not true.
You aren't buying the questions about sweat from a bike helmet, standing on "tippie toes", and what to do after a ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.