Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubular or Tubeless Wheelset?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubular or Tubeless Wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 01:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
ftfy
When I was young and new to my profession, I would inwardly laugh at the old-timers who would lecture us about “how we do things.” Almost always their rationale boiled down to “we do things this way because we always have done them this way.“ They were a big factor in my decision to retire young.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-22-23, 01:06 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
On the long rides you carry a spare tire, in the rare event you hit a tire-killing object.
Pfff...if you aren't carrying a spare wheel you aren't truly prepared.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-22-23, 01:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I'm glad you appreciate the advice, but then there is good advice, based on decades of broad experience, such as mine. And then there is naive misinformed advice, such as from the usual hair-on-fire industry cheerleaders and apologists.

This coming from the king of misinformation.
Old 12-22-23, 01:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Wow ... interesting range of character studies ...

here is my input (I say that to warn everyone to scroll past the rest of this post):
snip

Tubulars have always offered a safer (run-flat) and generally superior ride (lighter, more supple) but were less durable and required a major hassle to repair in the field (my understanding, supported only by many, many anecdotes.) On another hand a lto of people think changing a tube is a major hassle ... and anyone who has triedd to wrestle off an ultra-tight tubeless tie which couldn't be plugged ....

Best part is ... thee days from now this thread will be closed and three days after that everyone will have forgotten it and the OP will buy whatever he does and no one will really care ... because it is the internet interaction, not actual cycling experiences, that bring us to BF.
actual repair in the field is difficult involving thread and needle, but replacing the entire tire with a spare is fast....faster than replacing a tube or fixing a tube.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-22-23, 05:30 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 267 Posts
Little bit disturbing to see some of you guys railing on Dave Mayer.
Sure, he came on with some strong assertions. No need to work so hard together to discredit him.
You accuse him of misinformation and bias, yet there you go coming back with your own brand.
Replace his use of 'tubular' with 'tubeless' and you all would've been heaping your praises upon him.
Old 12-22-23, 05:34 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by squirtdad
actual repair in the field is difficult involving thread and needle, but replacing the entire tire with a spare is fast....faster than replacing a tube or fixing a tube.
Given that the OP is aiming for an ultra-light climbing bike and is comparing tubular weight against a tubeless setup, then carrying a spare tyre defeats the point of the marginal weight saving. It should at least be taken into account in the weight weenie analysis.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-22-23, 06:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Given that the OP is aiming for an ultra-light climbing bike and is comparing tubular weight against a tubeless setup, then carrying a spare tyre defeats the point of the marginal weight saving. It should at least be taken into account in the weight weenie analysis.
as I recall there is difference between the rolling/rotational weight and weight you are carrying so not sure how much difference that would be.

in any case for total weight comparison, one would need to consider tire weight, sealant, innertube weight, patch kit weights, spare tire in all the combos. I would think tubular will still come in lighter.

I am not a fan of tubeless for anything 32mm and under and that the ability to do field fixes is more difficult on tires that are hard to get on and often need special tools/compressor to get the bead to sit, but it seems that plug fixes have gotten a lot better in the last couple of years

Old 12-22-23, 06:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I commuted for decades on tubulars because the change was so fast. I was never late for work and I felt real comfort knowing that if I flatted in a shady neighborhood at night, in 5 minutes I'd be on my way. (Probably on a very crooked tire but they always got me home.) And whatever caused that flat wasn't going to cause another. I didn't even have to look to find it. And you can do that change in the rain, in the dark, in the snow, inebriated (well that might take a little longer) or in any combination.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-22-23, 07:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Good point.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-22-23, 07:13 PM
PeteHski

as I recall there is difference between the rolling/rotational weight and weight you are carrying so not sure how much difference that would be.

in any case for total weight comparison, one would need to consider tire weight, sealant, innertube weight, patch kit weights, spare tire in all the combos. I would think tubular will still come in lighter.

I am not a fan of tubeless for anything 32mm and under and that the ability to do field fixes is more difficult on tires that are hard to get on and often need special tools/compressor to get the bead to sit, but it seems that plug fixes have gotten a lot better in the last couple of years
The difference in rotational vs static mass is insignificant when climbing. Total mass of bike and rider is all that matters in calculating how fast you will climb the mountain.

So yes, you do have to weigh all the repair items, sealant etc to do a direct, true comparison. It might still work out lighter with tubulars, but you can’t ignore the weight of a spare tyre, which is going to be pretty significant in this comparison.

Dynaplugs are pretty effective for punctures that refuse to seal and I’ve never had to remove a tubeless tyre at the roadside. But I think the OP is already familiar with tubeless setups anyway.

Last edited by PeteHski; 12-22-23 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 07:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
No difference at all.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-22-23, 11:27 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Rotating weight is the single most important performance aspect on a bike. Climbing effort is not just the static weight of the bike and rider combined, but overcoming the dozens of hard surges on each long climb. During these accelerations you'll be on the limit of popping off of the back. If you get dropped, woe is you.

So light wheels may only get you 5 feet of distance gain over a few miles, but this 5 feet is the difference between a cozy energy saving draft over the next XX miles, and the monumental suffering trying to connect back with the group, which may never happen. We all know the terrifying urgency of losing the wheel ahead; this is when light wheels make the difference.

Yeah, yeah, there is is this arbitrary UCI weight limit thing, but nobody checks this at low-level events and weekend warrior rides. Regardless, wherever possible, if its a matter of dollars, save weight on the wheels vs. the frame.
Old 12-22-23, 11:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Rotating weight is the single most important performance aspect on a bike. Climbing effort is not just the static weight of the bike and rider combined, but overcoming the dozens of hard surges on each long climb. During these accelerations you'll be on the limit of popping off of the back. If you get dropped, woe is you.

So light wheels may only get you 5 feet of distance gain over a few miles, but this 5 feet is the difference between a cozy energy saving draft over the next XX miles, and the monumental suffering trying to connect back with the group, which may never happen. We all know the terrifying urgency of losing the wheel ahead; this is when light wheels make the difference.

Yeah, yeah, there is is this arbitrary UCI weight limit thing, but nobody checks this at low-level events and weekend warrior rides. Regardless, wherever possible, if its a matter of dollars, save weight on the wheels vs. the frame.
And the urban myth continues.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-23-23, 04:50 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I imagine that the OP is perfectly aware that carrying a spare tubular will defeat the purpose of buying the lightest possible wheelset but doesn't care---it's the thrill of owning what is potentially the lightest bike and wheelset he's after.

And it doesn't matter to the poster you're responding to that guys like RChung have proven through science-based studies that rotating weight is no more significant in races than weight elsewhere on the bike---it feels good to believe that he knows better than the science guys and the result of us.

Which isn't uncommon---there are still plenty of people willing to argue that aluminum frames absolutely are harsher-riding than steel frames, that titanium is the ultimate indestructible frame material, etc. No amount of evidence to the contrary will persuade them, either.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-23-23, 10:54 AM
tomato coupe

Rotating weight is the single most important performance aspect on a bike.
As a cyclist, this makes me laugh. As a physicist, it makes me cry.
Old 12-23-23, 10:59 AM
PeteHski

For the benefit of the OP, none of these accelerations are significant enough to make any difference with rotating vs static mass. The physics is relatively simple and the pro teams have calculated the effect it has on real world courses (TTs, climbs, crits etc). I even made my own simple spreadsheet to calculate wattage required to accelerate static vs rotating wheel weight. All that matters is the total mass when climbing. Even in a crit race with multiple hard accelerations, the effect of rotational weight is pretty minimal.

See episode 4 below for more info.

https://www.swissside.com/pages/podcast
Old 12-23-23, 11:11 AM
Koyote

I’ve been shot off the back in countless races and hard group rides, and never realized that I was supposed to feel terror.

Such hyperbole.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-23-23, 11:18 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
The difference in rotational vs static mass is insignificant when climbing. Total mass of bike and rider is all that matters in calculating how fast you will climb the mountain.

So yes, you do have to weigh all the repair items, sealant etc to do a direct, true comparison. It might still work out lighter with tubulars, but you can’t ignore the weight of a spare tyre, which is going to be pretty significant in this comparison.

Dynaplugs are pretty effective for punctures that refuse to seal and I’ve never had to remove a tubeless tyre at the roadside. But I think the OP is already familiar with tubeless setups anyway.
potential issue with tubeless flat is when the bead ‘unseats’ and will not seal again using the co2 or pump (or whatever) carried on the ride

the dynaplug (or whatever) might seal the puncture - but tire can not be inflated … so tube is required to complete the repair / ride
Old 12-23-23, 11:21 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’ve been shot off the back in countless races and hard group rides, and never realized that I was supposed to feel terror.

Such hyperbole.
you apparently were riding / racing with the kinder / gentler groups

not me - nuh uh … the groups I rode with were nasty … so nasty they only ate the heads off animal crackers

Likes For t2p:
Old 12-23-23, 11:41 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 491 Posts
I’ve had both.

The advantages of better cornering and rounder tires probably doesn’t exist anymore. Not nearly as many options for tires as there used to be but I doubt they’ll cease to exist any time soon.

Still, I would consider using the tubular in this situation.

You already have a great wheelset you’ll be using most of the time. The majority of your miles will be spent on relatively user friendly clinchers. That will cancel out most of the negatives of using a tubular setup as a daily driver.

Steep days where there may even be a car waiting for you on the top. Sure, go for it. It’s the wildly impractical second wheelset. It’s supposed to be fun.

I would love to lace up set of wooden wheels for my road bike. I’d ride them a few times a year.

A couple things I’d think about before getting anything, in this particular case, it’s a consideration for both wheelsets you’re looking at.

-Most wildly steep climbs tend to be on mountains that have frost heaves and potholes, descending those mountains can be fast!!.
+
-You’re probably not going to be able run tires larger than 28mm.
+
-What do you weigh? Hopefully not over 160lb.
=
Does this give you the heebie jeebies?

I’m not necessarily saying it should, but those things all need consideration in the ultralight world.
Old 12-23-23, 11:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by t2p
potential issue with tubeless flat is when the bead ‘unseats’ and will not seal again using the co2 or pump (or whatever) carried on the ride

the dynaplug (or whatever) might seal the puncture - but tire can not be inflated … so tube is required to complete the repair / ride
I agree, but never had that particular issue. But then flats are a rarity since I went tubeless. Literally 1 in 3 years and it deflated slowly enough not to unseat. It was actually on a pretty quick straight descent when I ran over a sharp piece of metal. I needed to plug the cut with 2 Dynaplugs to seal it, but it inflated fine with my mini-pump.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-23-23, 11:54 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
Wes Craven made a movie about this: "Terror Off the Back"
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-23-23, 11:56 AM
Koyote

I agree, but never had that particular issue. But then flats are a rarity since I went tubeless. Literally 1 in 3 years and it deflated slowly enough not to unseat. It was actually on a pretty quick straight descent when I ran over a sharp piece of metal. I needed to plug the cut with 2 Dynaplugs to seal it, but it inflated fine with my mini-pump.
Yup. Found this in my tire at the end of a recent ride. It was buried up to the hilt, flush with the tread. I pulled it out, immediately jammed in a plug, and barely lost any air. Tire is still in service.

Would a tubular tire have worked as well in this situation?

Old 12-23-23, 12:00 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Wes Craven made a movie about this: "Terror Off the Back"
The way he describes racing, I’m guessing he’s never done it. It’s like this movie scene:

Old 12-23-23, 12:06 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

Actually, giving you the benefit of the doubt I just assume you have no experience with tubeless. Once seated, especially after sealant been applied, it’s actually quite challenging to unseat tire and extremely rare occurrence when out ridding. Such a catastrophic failure would mean any other tire would have been destroyed as well. Throw in a tire liner and TPU tube and you are good to go.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 12-23-23 at 12:17 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.