Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

23 v. 25 vs. 28 mm tire width?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

23 v. 25 vs. 28 mm tire width?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 12:20 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think this assumed trade-off between tyre width and speed is rapidly becoming out of date. 23s are already history. Pro level race bikes are now being optimised around 25+ width tyres.
Could that be because race courses generally include many poorer road surfaces on which I wouldn't do my usual rides if I had a choice? For example, in the area where I ride bike, roads between small towns and villages where I can plot rides of various length, there is one road section in an outlaying area where gravel protrudes through old asphalt surface which makes the bike vibrate with high frequency that is extremely unpleasant.

It even makes me worry about the cyclo computer to the extent that I remove it from its holder and stash it in my pocket (can't read its display anyway due to vibration). Also one starts to appreciate bar padding tape. If I had to ride on such roads more frequently, I'd certainly look at bigger tire sizes that can be inflated to lower pressure. As it is, I mostly avoid routing my rides to take me on that road.

Pro racing courses are also quite long, which together with the road surface that leaves lots to be desired, leads to the bigger tire size choice. I guess also that today's pros put on more race kms per season than used to be the case some decades ago. Apart from the move to wider tires, you also get these bike frames with built in shock absorbing features, none of which existed some 30+ yrs ago, give or take some decades since I am no historian regarding that.

Just noticed your spelling 'tyres'

Last edited by vane171; 05-19-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 12:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Could that be because race courses generally include many poorer road surfaces on which I wouldn't do my usual rides if I had a choice?
No. It's because they've found that 25s are actually faster.
Old 05-19-21, 12:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Could that be because race courses generally include many poorer road surfaces on which I wouldn't do my usual rides if I had a choice? For example, in the area where I ride bike, roads between small towns and villages where I can plot rides of various length, there is one road section in an outlaying area where gravel protrudes through old asphalt surface which makes the bike vibrate with high frequency that is extremely unpleasant.

It even makes me worry about the cyclo computer to the extent that I remove it from its holder and stash it in my pocket (can't read its display anyway due to vibration). Also one starts to appreciate bar padding tape. If I had to ride on such roads more frequently, I'd certainly look at bigger tire sizes that can be inflated to lower pressure. As it is, I mostly avoid routing my rides to take me on that road.

Pro racing courses are also quite long, which together with the road surface that leaves lots to be desired, leads to the bigger tire size choice. I guess also that today's pros put on more race kms per season than used to be the case some decades ago. Apart from the move to wider tires, you also get these bike frames with built in shock absorbing features, none of which existed some 30+ yrs ago, give or take some decades since I am no historian regarding that.

Just noticed your spelling 'tyres'
No, it’s just engineering evolution. Tyres = UK spelling.
Old 05-19-21, 02:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
No. It's because they've found that 25s are actually faster.
To be fair, I think his point is that 23s are faster, but pros are switching to 25s because those are faster in the real world. I can't disagree with the second part. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-19-21, 02:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

I don't think I've ever actually ridden 25s. I used to ride a CX bike with 28s and 32s. Bought a road racing bike with 23s and no clearance for anything wider. My next several bikes were the same basic thing. Funny how we come full circle, I'm riding 28s now on Enve SES rims that balloon them out to 33 mm. Those Enves with 28s are faster than the box section rims I used to use with 23s. Both of those experiences on Cervelos. I'm not saying 28s are always faster than 23s, I'm saying 23s aren't automatically faster than bigger tires.
Old 05-19-21, 02:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
To be fair, I think his point is that 23s are faster, but pros are switching to 25s because those are faster in the real world. I can't disagree with the second part. 🙂
The real world is a good place for them to be faster. After all, that's where the pros race.
Old 05-19-21, 02:48 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Ignoring that amateurs never run Paris Roubaix, never run 150-200 km races
You greatly underestimate the ability of serious, well-trained amateurs and the events they challenge themselves with.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 05-19-21, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Eric F
The real world is a good place for them to be faster. After all, that's where the pros race.
I'm working on this new racing venue where you show up with your FTP number and whoever has the best one wins. You don't even need a bike!
Old 05-19-21, 03:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'm working on this new racing venue where you show up with your FTP number and whoever has the best one wins. You don't even need a bike!
You laugh, but there was a guy here who used to think you should qualify for real world races based on Strava segments.
Old 05-19-21, 03:14 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
The pros going for the fastest possible setup ride the narrowest possible tire at the highest possible pressure below the impedance breakpoint that avoids the possibility of pinch flats.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-19-21, 03:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Zwift is pretty close to that already - LOL.
Old 05-19-21, 04:33 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
The pros going for the fastest possible setup ride the narrowest possible tire at the highest possible pressure below the impedance breakpoint that avoids the possibility of pinch flats.
What's an impedance breakpoint?

(Never heard that term in relation to bicycle tires.)

Old 05-19-21, 04:35 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
What's an impedance breakpoint?

(Never heard that term in relation to bicycle tires.)
https://blog.silca.cc/part-4b-rollin...-and-impedance
Old 05-19-21, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by asgelle
Sometimes they use a narrower front tire because it's more affected by air resistance:

Old 05-19-21, 04:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Interesting, thanks.

So impedance is affected by the surface roughness. The rougher the surface, the higher the impedance. Roughly speaking.