Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Looking for a vintage Dutch style bike in Canada

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 07:39 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just starting to get into the scene and getting more interested in restoring or building my own custom bikes starting with vintage frames and solid parts. Ideally to start I'd like something I can mostly restore that is a good deal on a cheap bike to see if it's something I want to continue as a hobby. But either way I've been putting off buying a bike for too long cause theft is bad in my city so I don't want to get something that'll be a huge loss if it's stolen, and obviously I've done my research on how to best lock it with multiple locks in the right places as well as not locking it in the same places on a schedule. But I'm curious what kind of brands I should be looking for in Canada that have a similar Dutch style. Ideally I'd like a bike with internal gears instead of a derailleur but I suspect that won't be too easy to find for cheap so I figured I'd start with something more available like a derailleur. A lot of bikes in seeing in my area that have similar geometry of something I like are some falcon, CCM, Raleigh, supercycle, another Vulcan surprisingly and then most of these aren't step through frames but still a Dutch style and geometry and some more Racey but that I might be able to convert to be more comfortable like some sekine, Eaton, Cannondale, Norco, protour, hiwatha, centurion, and fiori and these are newer and more cruiser style but Schwinn, everyday, new and old retrospect and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Any recommendations or is it important to look at every one separately? I have been doing research on how to go and check the frame for symmetry and make sure the headpiece and bottom sprocket and things are tight without much or any play. But I know nothing about materials or quality of different brakes or shifters etc. Ideally I'd like to have something light made out of aluminum and there is one new Raleigh step through cruiser but with the vintage 2 tube top with disc brakes that's aluminum that seems decent but it's not exactly the style I want.

​​​​​​
Old 04-16-24, 07:41 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's 2 pretty cheap 3 gear internal hub bikes that I found today but I'm not familiar with the one, it's got d-114 badging and says made in japan on it. The other is an Easton glider. I'm seeing a lot of Easton gliders for sale for $100 or so. Or less and I'm sure they all have some wiggle room.
Old 04-16-24, 07:41 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just making this post so I can post pictures of the 2 aforementioned bikes.
Old 04-17-24, 09:58 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 149 Posts
What part of the country are you in?
Old 04-17-24, 11:15 AM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in Manitoba, in Winnipeg.
Old 04-18-24, 10:18 AM
VtwinVince

OK, we get a few genuine Dutch mixte's coming on the market here on the west coast.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 04-24-24, 05:15 AM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another question please. Or can make a new thread if that's ideal.

Originally Posted by VtwinVince
OK, we get a few genuine Dutch mixte's coming on the market here on the west coast.
We have one of Canada's only importer of legit Dutch bikes from the Netherlands as I hear it. https://shop.plainbicycle.org/. Get it, cause we're on the plains and they're plain bicycles lol I know hilarious 😛 but I stopped by recently and they were very friendly and not pushy at all. Told them I probably wasn't planning getting a bike from them and finding something vintage to restore in that style and they didn't mind and were happy to help me find what I needed and answer any questions. I'm going to look at this bike this week. It looks like an absolute gem and considering plain bikes (bless them and what they're doing for the commuter community here) even used with scratches and some rust sell for 600+ with 3 speed IGH and mostly without ithe front in hub dynamo and instead bottle cap designs which from my recent knowledge have a little more drag, but with the ability to disable physically easily. In my eyes the internal dynamo is the bees knees. This one also comes with the 5 speed IGH. Perfect condition. Slim tire pump included that attaches to frame as well as rear wheel lock fastened to frame. Obvs still will use 3 other sets of locks if I ever leave it out somewhere and put Bluetooth trackers on it to find in the case it is stolen. But they're asking 1200. I feel there's certainly some wiggle room as I essentially commented them on the beautiful bike but I thought it was a bit high to which the responded I wasn't wrong but if they were to put it down a few hundred people would be bidding for it at $200. Which as an experienced marketplace seller is just a tactic you have to use in Winnipeg anyways.

Anyhow. Wanted to check the forums thoughts on the true value of something like this. I think is pay around 600, maybe a tad more for my own personal value but a bikes worth what someone's willing to pay so I was hoping to get a few different perspectives.

My dream commuter style is this, even if this will be more of a joyride bike for me as I just really don't want it stolen. But I'm all about that style with working front and rear lights powered but front wheel hub dynamo and a 5 speed IGH that's rock solid. Fenders and back rack are a must as well. Kinda wish it wasn't grip shift but I'm sure that'll be just fine and could be change if I really hate it. I can't find the year but doesn't look vintage vintage just that style. Any ideas? And recommendations? I just bought 3 Easton glider 3 speed IGH with fenders that need some work so I'll be just turning it into a low key hobby without much expectation for profit. There's also another easton glider recently fully serviced with the og front light and front hub dynamo but the light doesn't work so I'd have to get a electric current tester to see if the Dynamo itself works before buying and then replace with some new leds I found that fit into the same fitting. But he's asking $140. 3 speed internal gear hub, good condition. But nothing like this batavus fryslan in my eyes anyways.

If I could get it for $600 is that a bit mistake or hot deal? Cause bikes in much worse condition sell for the same price at plain bikes used. (Also nothing against them, they're awesome, just saying their used bikes are clearly used but with all necessary repairs done".

Hope to hear back sometime this week so I can try to decide. It's not a necessity for me just kind of my dream bike. Non e bike anyways dream bike. Thanks ahead of time for your input and time reading! Loving this community a lot already and just joined 🙏🏻

​​​
Old 04-24-24, 10:13 AM
VtwinVince

Certainly has 'the look' and that seat is nothing to sneer at. Regarding price, I'm a believer in paying what you think is right, as prices vary widely over different markets. If it's something you're going to get use out of, that's all that matters. I've overpaid on some of my bikes, but I've never regretted getting any of them.
Old 04-26-24, 07:05 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Renaadoeiburamu
There's 2 pretty cheap 3 gear internal hub bikes that I found today but I'm not familiar with the one, it's got d-114 badging and says made in japan on it. The other is an Easton glider. I'm seeing a lot of Easton gliders for sale for $100 or so. Or less and I'm sure they all have some wiggle room.
Gliders were built for Eatons (not Easton) department stores by Raleigh
Old 04-26-24, 09:24 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
As long as it fits in the family budget, it's OK to overpay for a bicycle!

I've knowingly overpaid for two houses. But they were worth more to me, than they were worth in the market. I do not regret it. So the fact that I would have no interest in the bikes you posted above does not matter. Its for you to decide.

And depending on your local market, you may be looking for something that doesn't come up for sale very often. In that case, convenience adds value too.
Old 04-26-24, 10:08 AM
VtwinVince

There are a couple of Batavus bikes for sale over here right now, including a very nice Dinsdag.
Old 04-26-24, 03:08 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 641 Posts
Of In this style of bike in Canada you will see a lot of Easton's pretty low end pass on most of these unless there close to free and a lot of random lesser 3 speeds pretty the same not recomended catagory. Of the nicer ones you will find some higher British Raliegh's and Batavus which is still in business and not much else. Of the bikes you have shown the Batavus looks to be the only one that I would consider rider I wouldn't take the others if they were given to me.
Old 04-27-24, 06:05 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 5,052 Times in 1,795 Posts
Just to be a bad influencer. For years I tried vintage bikes cobbled together, upgraded, etc., to give me sort of the functionality of a Dutch bike. Then I finally tossed in the hat and bought a full on new Azor Dutch bike. Best thing I could have done and should have done this years ago. Super well built and will last for decades with no real compromises anymore. I even went for a step through model so that there's no longer problem trying to lean over and mount a top heavy bike that's got it's racks full of groceries or whatever. Surprising thing is I'll even ride it now on 20+ mile outings carry a camera kit in the basket to take pictures around the valley. Azor is kind of like the premier company now for these and there are cheaper new options.

Anyway...just throwing that out there.

8 speed IGH, oversided roller brakes, frame lock, full fender protection, lights, dynamo front hub, dual legged kickstand, rear rack, front rack supported off frame so as not to effect handling, etc.

Out on a photography touring ride