Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's this mark on my chainstay?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 08:18 AM
adrw.hong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was cleaning my road bike (cannondale supersix evo) and noticed a marking on my chainstay and I'm not sure what it is. Scratching it is a little rough compared to the carbon around it. This was not there before

I did take my bike into the shop a few months ago, since the wheel was sitting really close to the non-drive side chainstay, and they said it was a non issue. This was when it only had a small scratch. Now it's turned into something like this.

Should I be concerned? I have a big ride coming up and don't wanna miss it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
G0013807.jpg (72.7 KB, 81 views)
G0013809.jpg (63.5 KB, 82 views)
G0013811.jpg (65.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-18-15, 08:19 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tire rub
Old 06-18-15, 08:41 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
tire rub
Yeah...that's what it looks like to me too...what size tire are you running?
Old 06-18-15, 08:52 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
It's the beginning of the end.
Old 06-18-15, 08:57 AM
adrw.hong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
Yeah...that's what it looks like to me too...what size tire are you running?
I'm running 700x23s.. is it still safe to ride?
Old 06-18-15, 09:00 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrw.hong
I'm running 700x23s.. is it still safe to ride?
A 23 huh? Hmm...that shouldn't be rubbing at all. Even if you were a seriously heavy rider and running the tire at low pressure, it would bulge on contact, not at the chainstay.

I'd check wheel alignment, wheel true, etc. Something is causing it to rub.

As for riding? As-is I feel it is perfectly safe to ride...but that's just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. If you can solve the problem, I'd just keep an eye on it from time to time.

If it continues to chew away at it? No...it will eventually ruin the frame...
Old 06-18-15, 09:03 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
It's pretty severe tyre rub. Did you taco a wheel and ride it for a number of miles? I would definitely have no worries about riding with this however.
Old 06-18-15, 09:06 AM
adrw.hong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 23 huh? Hmm...that shouldn't be rubbing at all. Even if you were a seriously heavy rider and running the tire at low pressure, it would bulge on contact, not at the chainstay.

I'd check wheel alignment, wheel true, etc. Something is causing it to rub.

As for riding? As-is I feel it is perfectly safe to ride...but that's just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. If you can solve the problem, I'd just keep an eye on it from time to time.

If it continues to chew away at it? No...it will eventually ruin the frame...
I'm going to stick a little gaffer's tape in that spot and continue riding then.. I usually pump them up to 110PSI but I'll drop it down a bit to see how that goes. Wheel is true, aligned, all seems well from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by bobones
It's pretty severe tyre rub. Did you taco a wheel and ride it for a number of miles? I would definitely have no worries about riding with this however.
Not that I can recall
Old 06-18-15, 09:13 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try putting something sticky/greasy/whatever on that spot and go for a short ride. Ride as you normally would and then have a look. See if it rubs off on the wheel somewhere. (obviously clean it off when done...but I'd want to know where the components are hitting each other.

One last thing...you don't, by chance, have a spoke magnet sticking out...do you? The gap on my wheel/chainstay is so tight on my Tarmac that if I don't rotate the speed sensor magnet in a bit, it will definitely hit the chainstay...on the crank side.
Old 06-18-15, 09:14 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's nothing to worry about and it usually happens because the rear wheel skewer isn't tight enough. If you transport the bike, remove the wheel for whatever reason, the amount of pressure put on the wheel will vary a bit. Too light and the wheel will get "dragged" over to the left inner side (viewed from behind) when you're jamming up a hill or sprinting.

Edited to add... I've been thinking. The vertical rear dropouts aren't like the horizontal dropout I might have been thinking of so is it possible that the wheel itself gets pulled over? Depends on strength of wheel vs strength of rider, haha.

Last edited by cale; 06-18-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 09:21 AM
adrw.hong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try putting something sticky/greasy/whatever on that spot and go for a short ride. Ride as you normally would and then have a look. See if it rubs off on the wheel somewhere. (obviously clean it off when done...but I'd want to know where the components are hitting each other.

One last thing...you don't, by chance, have a spoke magnet sticking out...do you? The gap on my wheel/chainstay is so tight on my Tarmac that if I don't rotate the speed sensor magnet in a bit, it will definitely hit the chainstay...on the crank side.
Hmm.. I do have a spoke magnet but its not sitting too close to the rim. I'll double check that though.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'll try a few things and report back.
Old 06-18-15, 09:33 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Looks like tire rub -- probably the bike was ridden for a little while with the wheel not installed properly. Once this was corrected, the problem no longer existed which is why you're not seeing the cause. I don't like the magnet idea nor do I think it's anything like the back of a brake pad hitting because the spot is smooth -- these other causes would have led to chipping. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 06-18-15, 09:39 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Looks like tire rub -- probably the bike was ridden for a little while with the wheel not installed properly. Once this was corrected, the problem no longer existed which is why you're not seeing the cause. I don't like the magnet idea nor do I think it's anything like the back of a brake pad hitting because the spot is smooth -- these other causes would have led to chipping. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Yeah...a magnet would not only make a distinct "click-click-click-click" sound while riding...it wouldn't make a smooth grind either.
Old 06-18-15, 10:42 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Can be a result of the drive side spokes losing tension.