Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Should I put any money into this Technium?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 11:36 AM
ProfessorH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Through vicarious means, I acquired a very attractive Raleigh Technium Olympian. It's been in an incident that mangled the front wheel, so someone slapped cheap new rims on it. The drive train works, but it needs new brakes, wheels, and an overall clean and tune clearly, but prior to the accident was ridden for long distances (the MS 150 and appropriate training rides here in Houston).

I had one bike shop tell me they thought it was a really awesome bike, but they couldn't recommend riding it because an old aluminum frame that's been in an accident is in too much danger of failing.

Another shop said that the frame looks and feels just fine, but they wouldn't put any money into it because the quality of the bike is not worth the expense.

I've read so many threads on this forum, and it's clear that the Technium is a polarizing bike, but I'd be very grateful for some opinions.

Do I sink a couple hundred into this bike? Or just patiently scour Craigslist to see if I can find a vintage steel number (like the Trek 460 I see that is supposedly already overhauled for $250)?

Thank you in advance for all your insights.
Old 07-08-17, 12:33 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,607 Times in 3,787 Posts
Thread moved from Classic and Vintage to C & V Appraisals.
Old 07-08-17, 01:51 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I'd like to know how you got the bike vicariously....

If the bike has been in a crash, I'd inspect the frame very carefully for signs of damage. Specifically, on the top tube and the down tube, just behind the head lugs, look for signs of paint rippling or bubbling, crimping and/or creases in the tubes themselves, and use your fingers to feel the tubes on any questionable areas. If you find any defects, probably not worth rebuilding and sticking more money into.

If the frame looks and feels like it hasn't suffered any damage, I wouldn't have any problems rebuilding it. I happen to love Techniums (Technii?) because I think the ride quality is way above the pay range, at least for that era - '86 to '93 if memory serves.

I've never seen one that fell apart or had bonding problems. These frames were manufactured in Kent, Washington, so that Raleigh engineers could use Boeing's expertise in bonding dissimilar metals. Rumor has it that Tim Isaacs (of the later Match Cycles / Paramounts) had a hand in designing them.
Old 07-08-17, 02:00 PM
ProfessorH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the response! I got the bike through typical friend of a friend channels. It the original Rider gave it to a friend, who put on new (cheap) rims, but then decided the bike wasn't for them. A mutual friend knows I like old things.. Voila. Mine.

I can neither feel nor see any defects in the frame. One bike shop guy swore he could feel a slight ripple, while another set of shop guys swore they couldn't feel a thing.

It's a really neat looking touring model (sorry, the forum won't let me post pictures) and I really enjoyed my test ride, so even if I choose to get something else, maybe I'll try to fix it up myself for the learning experience.
Old 07-08-17, 02:17 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
If you go to the intro section and say hello to seven of your new friends by posting in their intros - for a total of 10 posts - you've reached the minimum post total (10) to post pix. Keep in mind, though, that we might not be able to determine frame damage just by looking at pix; it's something best done by examining the frame physically.

If you take it back to the shop, ask the guy who said he felt a slight ripple to show you where, and if you feel the same ripple, probably not worth building up. But if you don't, and you feel like getting your feet wet by rebuilding it to its former glory, by all means, go ahead, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-09-17, 02:52 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What type of "incident?" Was it a front end crash that necessitated a new rim? If so, there is probably frame damage...even if you cannot see it...
Old 07-09-17, 03:29 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Call around to your local dentists and ask them how much replacing a few of your front teeth would be. Compare that to what another vintage bike would cost and then ask yourself if it's worth the risk.
Old 07-09-17, 04:34 PM
ProfessorH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
What type of "incident?" Was it a front end crash that necessitated a new rim? If so, there is probably frame damage...even if you cannot see it...
This, exactly, is the narrative I was given. There is neither visible damage, nor damage that anyone but the one tech could feel. I hear what you're saying that it's so likely, however, that it may be better safe than sorry.
Old 07-09-17, 04:37 PM
ProfessorH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have purchased a vintage steel KHS from a colleague who'd fixed it up, so I have a shiny new ride to appease the road bike yearning initiated by the Tour.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Raleigh. It's a beautiful bike, so I think I'll use it as a learning ground for more than basic maintenance so that I can inch toward properly taking care of my own needs in the future.
Old 07-10-17, 08:50 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I have willingly bought crashed bikes several times. I only buy them for one thing, the parts. If the parts aren't anything special, I forget it. Too many decent bikes out there for me to ride a crashed bike. I certainly would never spend time or money fixing up a crashed bike. Again, too many good frames out there, why bother?

The only time I would invest into a crashed bike (even a free one) is the time it takes to strip it. In my case, thats less than one hour. If the fork is a replacement, I would donate the fork to the co-op. Note, to fully strip a bike, you need quite a few tools, or access to them.

You had a shop inspect the bike in person and they told you it was a goner. No internet advice is going to be as useful as in person inspection.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-10-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 10:25 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 638 Posts
I would say no while it may have been a nice bike ounce it's not worth fixing up. Even the nicest Techeniums don't get much love on the C&V market only$300 or so for top end race models in very good condition. For $250-300 you can get a lot of very nice basically ready to ride mid level road bikes in most markets. If your into vintage American aluminium you can get a much nicer late 80's Trek or Canondale with no issues for about $300 in most market there some of the best deals you can get on vintage road bikes.

Last edited by zukahn1; 07-10-17 at 10:30 AM.