Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's ok to get slower when you get older

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It's ok to get slower when you get older

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 06:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
You are going to get slower. Just accept it and enjoy the other benefits. If you don't get used to feeling disappointed when you ride. Doesn't sound like fun to me.
Old 10-11-23, 09:56 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
retirement age is a pretty wide brush..can be 35-100 years old..... I get it tho. I am almost 65 and just got back into cycling and started using the Strava free app so I keep setting pr's on rides I did not even know there were pr's to be set.
Welcome to using STRAVA and I hope you enjoy it.

Just wait until you're 70yo -- you can do a good birthday ride --

https://www.strava.com/activities/3741404995
Old 10-12-23, 04:09 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
you gain weight”

I’m not sure this has to be true. Cycling from about 40 (but lifelong love of it since the local church charity gave me a cobbled together cow-horned frankenbike one Christmas when I was a dirt poor 13 year old) until now over a decade later has got my bodyfat back under 13% and I’m in 32” jeans again. I eat and drink what I want, which is a large percentage beer and wine. Genetics have a big effect of course but when I look at how overweight my dad was by 40 and the state of the general population of the western hemisphere by their 50s, I reckon we cyclists are doing ok and if I can still turn a pedal at 70 I’ll be a happy man.
Old 10-12-23, 06:23 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
Don't ride with power meters, Garmin's and shut off Strava. Then riding is fun and relaxing. Cheaper too.
Likes For EJM73:
Old 10-12-23, 06:32 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
If you started slow is it okay to get older?
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-12-23, 06:37 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by EJM73
Don't ride with power meters, Garmin's and shut off Strava. Then riding is fun and relaxing. Cheaper too.
What madness is this? 😄
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-12-23, 07:06 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
What madness is this? 😄
LOL...I don't have any of that on my old Viner and I seem to ride it more now that I'm older . Maybe because it doesn't record how much I suck at riding.
Likes For EJM73:
Old 10-12-23, 07:14 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Your max heart rate goes down, you gain weight, you develop health problems, your joints wear, you recover more slowly... it's ok. I'm not slow, I'm just enjoying the ride longer.
Accept your body's limit, that's one of the hardest thing but most wonderful thing you can do. After 25 years old, time starts playing against all of us.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 10-12-23, 08:57 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by EJM73
But keep the heart rate monitor so you know if you should keep riding or call an ambulance.

Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you started slow is it okay to get older?
Absolutely. If they ever do "cure" mortality, this world is going to get horribly overpopulated and unpleasant to live in anyway.
Old 10-12-23, 10:43 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I'm approaching my mid-50s and riding with guys in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, and there's nowhere to hide when you're the oldest guy in the group.
Is "approaching mid-50s" the same as being in your early 50s?

I look back fondly on the days when I was in my early 50s and my MHR was still 184 bpm.

But I ride with some groups where there are some hellaciously strong guys in their early 50s. One of them routinely is on the podium in some of the tougher gravel events in Minnesota. And another hangs with the fast group for the early parts of Dirty Kanza/Unbound Gravel.

I'm in my early 60s and ride with guys in their 20s, 30s, 40s. It's not easy, but I can still do it.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-12-23, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
But keep the heart rate monitor so you know if you should keep riding or call an ambulance.
A few years ago, I stopped at the bottom of a half-hour climb to strip off arm warmers, take a drink, etc. I glanced at my HRM - 244 bpm! I almost had a heart attack from that! What the.......!?!

But I checked my pulse, which was running around 100, so I figured it must be radio frequency interference. Next time I stopped there, same thing.

Then there was another time when I looked over my data from a ride and found that my HR had risen steadily during a descent, peaking at 170 bpm. That worried me, too, till I remembered I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary then, and later I read that HRMs sometimes do that as the wet clothing around them dries out.

So, as Reagan said, "Trust, but verify!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-12-23, 11:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
One way to feel faster is to ride with people more out of shape than you are. This may require finding ever-older riding companions. At some point, you'll run out of them, though.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-12-23, 12:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
A few years ago, I stopped at the bottom of a half-hour climb to strip off arm warmers, take a drink, etc. I glanced at my HRM - 244 bpm! I almost had a heart attack from that! What the.......!?!

But I checked my pulse, which was running around 100, so I figured it must be radio frequency interference. Next time I stopped there, same thing.

Then there was another time when I looked over my data from a ride and found that my HR had risen steadily during a descent, peaking at 170 bpm. That worried me, too, till I remembered I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary then, and later I read that HRMs sometimes do that as the wet clothing around them dries out.

Absolutely. So far, so good.

One way to feel faster is to ride with people more out of shape than you are. This may require finding ever-older riding companions. At some point, you'll run out of them, though.
Yeah, I've been accompanying riders who are recovering from injuries and surgeries lately. Age, however... last month I found myself being pushed up a climb by Ron Skarin, who is 30 years older than me! In the club, Bud is in his 80's and he sometimes waits for me. Guess that just means my strategy needs to be aimed at getting more fit. I hope I have a ways to go, but there are no guarantees.
Old 10-12-23, 12:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Accept your body's limit, that's one of the hardest thing but most wonderful thing you can do. After 25 years old, time starts playing against all of us.
Just have to be careful not to fall into the trap of the previous generation, who tended to take it easy and wind down their physical activity (especially higher intensity) in middle age. Science is now showing that this strategy accelerates physical decline and age related diseases. I saw this effect first hand with my father, who was an elite athlete in his prime. Unfortunately he basically stopped exercising in his late 30s and started down the path of slow cardiovascular disease and weight gain. I was less athletic than my father in my own prime, but aged 55 I'm vastly fitter than he was at 55. Night and day difference simply because I still keep pushing myself.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-12-23, 01:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts

I used to live in an area where almost every ride started with a steep (9% grade) descent on which I would approach 40 mph, and I would sometimes get HR readings in the range of 250 bpm. I eventually figured out that, with a less-than-snug jersey, the front of the jersey (including the zipper) would catch the wind and flap/oscillate very rapidly against the HRM -- you know, about 4x per second.

That doesn't always work. The first time I got schooled like this was with one of my old grad school profs. I was about 40yo, and he is probably 22 years older than me. And he absolutely thrashed me for a solid 50 miles. At one point, he got a puncture and had some difficulty fixing it...I just sat on the shoulder telling him to take his time.
Old 10-12-23, 01:37 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Just have to be careful not to fall into the trap of the previous generation, who tended to take it easy and wind down their physical activity (especially higher intensity) in middle age. Science is now showing that this strategy accelerates physical decline and age related diseases. I saw this effect first hand with my father, who was an elite athlete in his prime. Unfortunately he basically stopped exercising in his late 30s and started down the path of slow cardiovascular disease and weight gain. I was less athletic than my father in my own prime, but aged 55 I'm vastly fitter than he was at 55. Night and day difference simply because I still keep pushing myself.
I may be like you in that I didn't dedicate myself to fitness until late middle age (late 40s). I was fit as a teenager and early 20s, and then 25 years went by.

I do wonder whether this makes a difference. In other words, for long term health as an older person, how much does it matter that you've recovered what fitness you can muster, beginning at some later time, as opposed to life-long fitness?
Old 10-12-23, 03:37 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I may be like you in that I didn't dedicate myself to fitness until late middle age (late 40s). I was fit as a teenager and early 20s, and then 25 years went by.

I do wonder whether this makes a difference. In other words, for long term health as an older person, how much does it matter that you've recovered what fitness you can muster, beginning at some later time, as opposed to life-long fitness?
I have actually been quite consistent with my fitness throughout my life, but never reached the elite level of my father in any particular sport. I dabbled in a lot of sports when I was in my teens and 20s and then whittled it down to just cycling and skiing in my 30s and 40s. Now I’m my 50s I pay a lot more attention to nutrition and training than I did previously and that appears to have compensated for ageing, at least over the last decade. My father’s fitness dropped off a cliff in his 40s and he just thought that was perfectly normal - which it was for his generation. I think he would be mind blown by the things I can still do in my 50s.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-12-23, 06:07 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Is "approaching mid-50s" the same as being in your early 50s?

I look back fondly on the days when I was in my early 50s and my MHR was still 184 bpm.

But I ride with some groups where there are some hellaciously strong guys in their early 50s. One of them routinely is on the podium in some of the tougher gravel events in Minnesota. And another hangs with the fast group for the early parts of Dirty Kanza/Unbound Gravel.

I'm in my early 60s and ride with guys in their 20s, 30s, 40s. It's not easy, but I can still do it.
I guess I'm in my early mid-50's, LOL. I ride with a few guys who are older than I am, and they are still beasts on the bike. Myself, having an FTP of around 4w/kg, can still hang with most group rides, and even taking regular pulls. But I put in close to 20k a year in mileage in order to have enough fitness to hang with guys who put in less than half of that. It's true what they say: there's no substitute for youth...or talent.
Old 10-12-23, 06:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I guess I'm in my early mid-50's, LOL. I ride with a few guys who are older than I am, and they are still beasts on the bike. Myself, having an FTP of around 4w/kg, can still hang with most group rides, and even taking regular pulls. But I put in close to 20k a year in mileage in order to have enough fitness to hang with guys who put in less than half of that. It's true what they say: there's no substitute for youth...or talent.
Theres another saying: training volume can make up for a multitude of training mistakes.

20k per year is simply huge volume.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-12-23, 07:03 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
almost 65 and at least 40 lbs overweight ie 5'9" and this morning before my ride I was pushing 210 in my whitie tighties but my legs still feel like a younger man's legs. this was a solo ride 37F at start and 49F at finish I really wanted to do the full 100 at 19mph but the last 6 miles is up hill but no wind either way so can complain. One thing I did find that works really well is to mix liquid IV in your beer kind of gives you carbs while you ride and easier than chewing on a power bar.

Last edited by jadmt; 10-12-23 at 07:08 PM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 10-12-23, 07:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
almost 65 and at least 40 lbs overweight ie 5'9" and this morning before my ride I was pushing 210 in my whitie tighties but my legs still feel like a younger man's legs. this was a solo ride 37F at start and 49F at finish I really wanted to do the full 100 at 19mph but the last 6 miles is up hill but no wind either way so can complain. One thing I did find that works really well is to mix liquid IV in your beer kind of gives you carbs while you ride and easier than chewing on a power bar.

Kudos
Old 10-12-23, 08:42 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I agree, it is not OK. Dylan Thomas had it right: "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." The fact that we get weaker is not an excuse to give up. It is not OK with me, not at all. I will fight, every inch of the way. This is what we do to keep our spirits up because yes, it sucks. Even though it sucks, we can still swing a hammer and we're not dead yet.
You, uh... Do know that Thomas died at age 39, right?
Old 10-12-23, 09:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
You, uh... Do know that Thomas died at age 39, right?
And your takeaway is? . . .other than the big grin? I don't find his death in middle age funny at all.
Old 10-12-23, 09:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
I too will “not go gentle into that good night”. Training is my mantra by endeavoring to strengthen weakness's. Sure I will stop and take pictures of the sights, but when I am trying to beat a PR, “ain’t nobody got time for dat”. Today did a 9.5 mile TT and came in first for my age bracket 65-69 and 20th overall. There is a time to relax and enjoy the sights and a time to bring the hammer down. You can have it both ways and maybe enjoy cycling twice as much.

Today’s pics before the TT:

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-13-23, 05:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Totally agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.