Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vintage bikes- I want to start a collection!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 03:33 AM
JA TREK

Bikes: 2018 Scott Aspect 950, 2018 Trek Hybrid, 1971 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help, I feel I'm becoming obsessed with bikes and cycling! Growing up I always had a bicycle to ride every season until probably my teenage years when I started to do boring teenage things like go to malls and etc. Anyhow, I can't stop looking at bikes on Craigslist. I found 2 old bikes that I think look sharp, and I'm about ready to start a collection lol. Does anyone else have this "problem"? I've attached pictures of the bikes I have my eyes on.

Short version: I'm a 36 year old female, just got back into cycling two months ago and I'm becoming addicted. Ha!
Old 04-28-18, 05:03 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Don't do it. You'll wind up like the rest of us. Get out now while you still can.

If you get the Raleigh Twenty (my recommendation) be sure to post in the "For the love of English 3-speeds..." thread in the Classic & Vintage forum. Good luck.

Seriously, of the two bikes shown the Raleigh would by most folks be considered to be the more "collectible" of the two. While the Schwinn might be seen as handier in daily use, the Twenty is an unusual design, has a cult following, has a Sturmey-Archer three-speed rear hub (a definite plus to some of the crazies here) and looks to be in beautiful original condition, right down to the headlight and the pump. Can't go wrong with a nice Twenty in your collection.

I personally have five 3-speeds, four of them Raleighs but none a Twenty. However, I know where one resides unloved in a garage. Why am I still sitting here, you ask? Because I'm trying to follow my own advice from the first line up above. See what I mean?

Last edited by thumpism; 04-28-18 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 06:52 AM
JA TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Don't do it. You'll wind up like the rest of us. Get out now while you still can.

If you get the Raleigh Twenty (my recommendation) be sure to post in the "For the love of English 3-speeds..." thread in the Classic & Vintage forum. Good luck.

Seriously, of the two bikes shown the Raleigh would by most folks be considered to be the more "collectible" of the two. While the Schwinn might be seen as handier in daily use, the Twenty is an unusual design, has a cult following, has a Sturmey-Archer three-speed rear hub (a definite plus to some of the crazies here) and looks to be in beautiful original condition, right down to the headlight and the pump. Can't go wrong with a nice Twenty in your collection.

I personally have five 3-speeds, four of them Raleighs but none a Twenty. However, I know where one resides unloved in a garage. Why am I still sitting here, you ask? Because I'm trying to follow my own advice from the first line up above. See what I mean?
Yes I sure do see what you mean! I've been leaning towards the Raleigh since I saw the ad. Such a beautiful, sharp looking little bike!

Thanks for the additional information you've added about the Raleigh Twenty. Love this forum because you guys are so knowledgeable, and I'm learning more and more. If I make the trip out today and get it, I will definitely come back and post it in the Classic/Vintage area. Thanks!!
Old 04-28-18, 02:30 PM
JA TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went and tried the Raleigh. Loved it! Told seller I needed to think on it over lunch. Before I could text him back, he texted me and said he changed his mind and decided to keep it. Bummer! Anyhow I did get a couple of funny pics while I was trying it lol.
Old 04-28-18, 02:40 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Too bad about that bike but maybe it wasn't meant to be. Don't worry, you'll find another one.
And yeah, good luck with the addiction. It gets REAL BAD! LMAO!
Old 04-28-18, 03:04 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Too bad you missed out on that Raleigh; such a classy looking little thing. The Schwinn, to me, is nothing special; there are millions more that look just like it.

Find the ones that are unique and have character. Then go lock yourself in the house and tell yourself you need to save the money for your retirement or something.
Old 04-28-18, 04:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...just find some guy with a huge collection of bikes who rides the same size as you. They're all divorced or single because of the bikes anyway.
Old 04-28-18, 05:09 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
If you found this in a Craigslist ad priced at X dollars, my guess is the guy got a better offer and let you down easy. It gets ugly out there sometimes. I'd like to think that's not the case but it happens. Good luck next find. Watch it be more exotic/expensive/desirable and then you'll be into the deep end. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Old 04-28-18, 05:57 PM
JA TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Too bad about that bike but maybe it wasn't meant to be. Don't worry, you'll find another one.
And yeah, good luck with the addiction. It gets REAL BAD! LMAO!
I agree, must've not been meant to be. I probably should have scooped it up right then and there, but I always have to overthink everything. Great, so the addiction just gets worse?

Originally Posted by rollagain
Too bad you missed out on that Raleigh; such a classy looking little thing. The Schwinn, to me, is nothing special; there are millions more that look just like it.

Find the ones that are unique and have character. Then go lock yourself in the house and tell yourself you need to save the money for your retirement or something.
Good advice!! I definitely prefer unique. I need to stay off of Craigslist... or lock myself in the house that works too lol.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...just find some guy with a huge collection of bikes who rides the same size as you. They're all divorced or single because of the bikes anyway.
Lmao now that's not a bad idea!!

Originally Posted by thumpism
If you found this in a Craigslist ad priced at X dollars, my guess is the guy got a better offer and let you down easy. It gets ugly out there sometimes. I'd like to think that's not the case but it happens. Good luck next find. Watch it be more exotic/expensive/desirable and then you'll be into the deep end. Don't say we didn't warn you.
I was thinking that may have been the case. It was odd for him to text me right after seeing it. He said he's moving south soon and he's decided to keep the beauty. You guys have warned me lol. I also ride/train horses and I used to think that was an obsession, but this is already far surpassing that. Ha!
Old 04-28-18, 08:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
This is way cheaper than horses
Old 04-28-18, 08:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I've never been bitten by a bicycle. So there's that.
Old 04-28-18, 08:19 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Might want to do some reading on Randy's site.

MY "TEN SPEEDS - Home Page
Old 04-28-18, 09:25 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Vintage bikes are addicting. You find one, and then right after you start looking for the next.
Old 04-28-18, 10:03 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by JA TREK
I agree, must've not been meant to be. I probably should have scooped it up right then and there, but I always have to overthink everything. Great, so the addiction just gets worse?
Yes! LOL!
Old 04-29-18, 07:57 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I volunteer in a big bike co-op near me, always a nice place to find parts, frames, and sometimes bikes, as well as expertise and fellowship among fellow bicycle addicts.
Old 04-29-18, 12:38 PM
JA TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
This is way cheaper than horses
Exactly! I think it's a better addiction to have lol.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I've never been bitten by a bicycle. So there's that.
Yes! Or purposely thrown, and given the gift of a concussion.

Might want to do some reading on Randy's site.

MY "TEN SPEEDS - Home Page
Awesome site! Thanks!

Originally Posted by katsup
Vintage bikes are addicting. You find one, and then right after you start looking for the next.
I believe it! I love looking around at bikes for sale.

Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I volunteer in a big bike co-op near me, always a nice place to find parts, frames, and sometimes bikes, as well as expertise and fellowship among fellow bicycle addicts.
Awesome. I wish others in my area were more health-concious and enjoyed sports. Our weather here doesn't help. It's pretty gloomy most of the time. We're lucky if we get 5 months of nice weather. I am learning not to let it stop me. Even on crap days I wait for a break in the rain and head out on the bike.
Old 04-29-18, 12:40 PM
JA TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to let you all know I had some random luck, and found another Raleigh Twenty. It's an hour and a half away. Very good condition like the one shown above. It's a 1971 I'm told. Looks like I'll be going out tomorrow to get it if all goes as planned.
Old 04-29-18, 01:44 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'm a recovering addict myself. Kept my beautiful Le Tour though, that'll never go away. The Univega stays because it is simply better than any other road bike I'll ever buy for $75. Can't bear to sell this Miyata Triple Cross either....

I said "recovering, not "recovered"
Old 04-29-18, 06:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Another good resource from a BF member. https://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes/
Old 04-29-18, 10:32 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by JA TREK
I wanted to let you all know I had some random luck, and found another Raleigh Twenty. It's an hour and a half away. Very good condition like the one shown above. It's a 1971 I'm told. Looks like I'll be going out tomorrow to get it if all goes as planned.
Cool! Good luck and keep us up to date!
Old 04-30-18, 05:42 PM
JA TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm a recovering addict myself. Kept my beautiful Le Tour though, that'll never go away. The Univega stays because it is simply better than any other road bike I'll ever buy for $75. Can't bear to sell this Miyata Triple Cross either....

I said "recovering, not "recovered"
Lol!! I actually went and looked at a Univega today. It was local and $40 but for some reason I didn't feel like I HAD to have it, if that makes sense. I'm trying to stop myself now before I become severely addicted. Would love to see pics of your bikes!

Another good resource from a BF member. https://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes/
I went on FB and liked the page. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Cool! Good luck and keep us up to date!
I got the Raleigh Twenty! I'll get some pics of myself with the bike tomorrow. Now I'm searching for new tires, as these Kendas on it are somewhat cracked. They are 20x 1.75. I'm wondering if I can put a beefier bmx tire on it, like these Kendas?

Or if something like this would be better....
Old 04-30-18, 06:17 PM
2cam16

Congrats!! Now maybe this is the "meant to be" bike.
I'm not really familiar with bmx sized tires so maybe someone else can give you some info. Definitely replace those cracked tires.
Will be waiting for bike pics!