Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most needlessly contentious topics

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Most needlessly contentious topics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 10:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That’s not what happens. When fully inflated, the valve stem is pushed outwards by the internal pressure. When the pressure drops, the stem retreats into the rim. If you tightened the valve nut when fully inflated, it will be even tighter when deflated.
Wrong. As the pressure drops, yes, the nut stays pressed against the rim but not with however many PSI of pressure. Maybe you forgot—-rubber stretches. I can pull the stem up easily—- no pressure holding it—-and remove the nut easily.

You don’t use knurled retaining nuts, I do. You don’t know what you are talking about—- sorry but it’s a fact. Having changed who knows how many tubes over decades of commuting and pleasure-riding, and Never having had one stick …. You are doing it wrong, or just imagining stuff. IRL the nuts are tightest when the tire is fullest.
Old 04-04-23, 11:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Must be weird to be the sole victim of a bizarre problem!
I can say with confidence that I am not the only person to suffer a sticky valve stem nut. This problem was reported more than once in good old rec.bicycles.tech.

The deal is that when the tube is pressurized, the valve is forced down hard against the rim, but when it goes flat and the pressure is released, the valve retracts a bit, causing the nut to get tighter.

—Sheldon Brown, r.b.t 2003

Old 04-04-23, 11:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Maelochs
IRL the nuts are tightest when the tire is fullest.
That makes no sense at all.

The valve stem obviously is protruding the farthest when the tire is fully inflated. Try pushing the valve into the rim under full inflation. You have to overcome the pressure pushing at the base of the stem, I’d guess roughly 40 pounds.

When the tire is deflated, that 40-some-odd outward force goes away, and that little stem nut that you tightened down under pressure is now tighter.

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-05-23 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-05-23, 06:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

That makes no sense at all.

The valve stem obviously is protruding the farthest when the tire is fully inflated. Try pushing the valve into the rim under full inflation. You have to overcome the pressure pushing at the base of the stem, I’d guess roughly 40 pounds.

When the tire is deflated, that 40-some-odd outward force goes away.
Please read better. I inflate the tire to whatever pressure and tighten the nut. The valve is pulled as far as 80–120 PSI allow.

When the tube is less full I can easily lift the stem a little.

I know some folks worship Sheldon Brown, but I also know I have done decades of riding and changed hundreds of flat—this includes a stint as tire repairer on a cross-country tour with more than two dozen riders, plus decades of urban commuting in terrible conditions—and I have Never faced a stuck nut.

Not sure what is wrong with everyone else and don’t care. It has Never happened to me.

Sucks to be you guys, I guess.

Try gently lifting the valve stem …
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-05-23, 06:26 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
The deal is that when the tube is pressurized, the valve is forced down hard against the rim, but when it goes flat and the pressure is released, the valve retracts a bit, causing the nut to get tighter.

—Sheldon Brown, r.b.t 2003

This is true. However, I have never had a problem unscrewing the collar. And my hearing is pretty good, yet I have never heard much less been annoyed by collar rattling while riding. A big nothingburger.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-05-23, 06:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Please read better. I inflate the tire to whatever pressure and tighten the nut. The valve is pulled as far as 80–120 PSI allow.

I know some folks worship Sheldon Brown, but I also know I have done decades of riding and changed hundreds of flat—this includes a stint as tire repairer on a cross-country tour with more than two dozen riders, plus decades of urban commuting in terrible conditions—and I have Never faced a stuck nut.

Not sure what is wrong with everyone else and don’t care. It has Never happened to me.

Sucks to be you guys, I guess.

Who wudda thunk??
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-05-23, 08:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Wow what a major hardship
No, silly - the point is not that it's a big hardship, but rather that they're unnecessary and I lose nothing by removing and discarding them. If you like 'em, great. I don't.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-23, 09:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Nonsense. Please consider a little physics:

When a tire is fully inflated, the valve stem is protruding as far as it ever will. Try pulling on the stem, it won't move. If you tighten the stem nut at this point, the stem will be held there at it farthest protrusion point when the tire is deflated.

Once the stem nut has been tightened under full tire pressure, you will not be able to "easily lift the stem a little" when the pressure is reduced, as the stem is being held at it's "as far as it ever will" protrude point by the nut that was tightened under full inflation.

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-05-23 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-05-23, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Must be weird to be the sole victim of a bizarre problem!
I commented earlier that I have also had an issue with a stuck valve stem nut. On a tubeless tire, however, you don't have the option to leave it off.
Old 04-05-23, 10:40 AM
Maelochs

Once the stem nut has been tightened under full tire pressure, you will not be able to "easily lift the stem a little" when the pressure is reduced, as the stem is being held at it's "as far as it ever will" protrude point by the nut that was tightened under full inflation.
Maybe you don’t understand physics or maybe you just use the word to lend weight to an empty argument.

Don’t cite “physics,” Do Science…. Go out to your bike and try it.

When the tube is smaller it does not push against the rim. Don’t talk—- Do It.

A stuck nut was cross- threaded or jammed.

It is Almost funny when smart people take a dumb stand and defend it.
Old 04-05-23, 11:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Maybe you don’t understand physics or maybe you just use the word to lend weight to an empty argument.

Don’t cite “physics,” Do Science…. Go out to your bike and try it.

When the tube is smaller it does not push against the rim. Don’t talk—- Do It.

A stuck nut was cross- threaded or jammed.

It is Almost funny when smart people take a dumb stand and defend it.
Horse. Water. <sigh>

I give up.

Old 04-05-23, 11:25 AM
John Wick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I give up. sry.
Old 04-05-23, 04:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
No, silly - the point is not that it's a big hardship, but rather that they're unnecessary and I lose nothing by removing and discarding them. If you like 'em, great. I don't.
Valve stem nut makes it easier to get an air chuck on the valve stem when inflating a tire. So they do serve an important purpose.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-05-23, 05:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Valve stem nut makes it easier to get an air chuck on the valve stem when inflating a tire. So they do serve an important purpose.
I don't find any problems with that, so they don't serve an important purpose. See how this works? The things you think are not universal.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-06-23, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Wrong. As the pressure drops, yes, the nut stays pressed against the rim but not with however many PSI of pressure. Maybe you forgot—-rubber stretches. I can pull the stem up easily—- no pressure holding it—-and remove the nut easily.

You don’t use knurled retaining nuts, I do. You don’t know what you are talking about—- sorry but it’s a fact. Having changed who knows how many tubes over decades of commuting and pleasure-riding, and Never having had one stick …. You are doing it wrong, or just imagining stuff. IRL the nuts are tightest when the tire is fullest.

I agree that it's very easy to pull the stem out from the rim when the tire is deflated. I wonder, though, if it is not possible that the nut might corrode on some stems making it stick in the "too far down" position. I'm with you, I've never ever seen one stick, but I don't know that I'd assume it was impossible--that seems needlessly contentious.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-06-23, 01:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've been known to push it up from the bottom by pressing on the tire, I must have applied at least 6 ounces of pressure.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-06-23, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey
I don't find any problems with that, so they don't serve an important purpose. See how this works? The things you think are not universal.

The smaller the stakes, the bigger the quarrel.

Honestly, I think the usefulness of these is really dependent on what type of pump you use. I have had some that were basically useless in the absence of a nut, and others where it made no practical difference.
Old 04-06-23, 02:54 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Do those saddles make your butt look big?