Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are bike tires getting so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are bike tires getting so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 11:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
And even if they did, the weight and aero weenies most certainly wouldn't approve.
In the words of Steve Martin, “I HAVE A SPECIAL PURPOSE!”

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-02-23, 11:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's called supply and demand, not price gouging.
When does "supply and demand" become "price gouging"? It depends on where you sit in the supply chain.

The further downstream you sit, the more gougy it feels.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-02-23, 11:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
When does "supply and demand" become "price gouging"? It depends on where you sit in the supply chain.

It depends a lot on your disposable income in the market. There is no monopoly on bike tyres so pricing will be market dependent. There are supply issues at the moment, so that is likely driving up prices. I waited a long time to pick up a spare Conti GP5000S TR as they were out of stock everywhere for months. There was no chance of a discount on those.
Old 04-02-23, 12:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's called price gouging a very common practice after Covid 19 fiasco.

Define "price gouging."
Old 04-02-23, 12:16 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by drlogik
Koyote,

I respect your opinions on most of what you say; however, is this kind of comment necessary? Not sure who that was directed to, (me maybe?), it doesn't matter. I made my comment, an opinion, because that was the price for P-Zero's at my local shop. Seems to be the going rate lots of other places also. Yes, I'm well aware of the Internet and know how to find deals.

The OP commented on how tires are so expensive. The OP was opining because of a tear in their tire and is contemplating an expensive replacement or go to a lower tire. I agreed with the OP's comment.

---
The problem with this thread (and some others on bf, as in the broader world) is that people express opinions as if they are facts. However, opinions on tire prices do not somehow replace the facts; and so far, all of these tires that have been used as examples of $100+ prices are actually available for less than $100. Sometimes a lot less.

For all of the internet's problems -- and they are legion -- it has promoted competition in many markets. An easy internet search can easily turn up the lowest price, and this drives many sellers to offer more competitive pricing -- as well as more attractive shipping options, etc.

Again, I sometimes patronize my LBS (if I have one - I have spent much time in rural US) without regard to price -- so I understand using their prices as a benchmark. But, when we do that, we're choosing a more expensive option.
Old 04-02-23, 12:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Koyote
Define "price gouging."
You know it when you see it.

Old 04-02-23, 12:29 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Those that see gouging seem to be blind to ordinary supply and demand.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-02-23, 12:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Like when there is a real monopoly on supply?
Old 04-02-23, 12:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I always figured that it's that there are a zillion different bike tires, manufacturers X models, all chasing after a small market = low volume = high price. Considering how thin they are and how well they work, it's all quite amazing really.
Old 04-02-23, 12:53 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In the words of Steve Martin, “I HAVE A SPECIAL PURPOSE!”
there is a movie that was so funny but would probably never be allowed today..
Likes For jadmt:
Old 04-02-23, 03:33 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've appreciated mine, even before inflation.

That smell. That vulcanized rubber smell. I love the smell of Rene Herse tires in the morning, when you first open up that bag. That alone warrants the astronomical price.
Old 04-02-23, 03:34 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by beng1
The USA dollar is being dropped as the world-reserve currency, so you ain't seen nothing yet as far as inflation goes..........
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-02-23, 04:40 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

last i read it takes a lot of petroleum to make a tire. This is what i run on my truck and local tire shop is about $100 higher per tire. Used to be easy to find tire shops to mount mail order tires but seems they got wise and most won’t anymore

Yea this is where I got my truck tires from and then took them to the tire shop and they put them on for me for less than $60. Tire Rack warehouse in GA, is not that far from me, and I could have gone to get them, but since they ship for free, sure, I will let them do that. Funny, when I tried to buy these same tires from the manufacturers store, they could not get them, but Tire Rack had hundreds of them in stock.

Old 04-02-23, 04:43 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Like most things, shop the sales if you can. If you can hold out for price drops or sales codes from PBK sometimes you can get pretty good deals on tyres. I have not been paying too close attention to prices BUT I am noticing that availability is an issue. I really had to hunt around to find a pair of Michelin Pro TLR tyres. I ended up ordering them from Merlin and will eat the import duties. For me that's the real kick to the nads. Shipping and import fees. The exchange rates do not help either.
Old 04-02-23, 04:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
High performance road car tyres are equally, if not more expensive. I was just making the point that it’s not all about their relative size. Bike tyres are a lot more expensive per kg.

Comparing them with car tyres is a bit pointless really. It’s like saying you can buy a car for the same price as a high end bike. You can, but not a high end car. Raw material cost for the car will be much higher too, regardless of its quality.
Yep, my wife's car tires have a faster speed rating and all, so it requires a different structure than the truck. Same on the bike, running tubeless, so it requires higher requirements and build quality which ends up costing more.

Old 04-02-23, 04:49 PM
Koyote

Define "price gouging."
Your answer is a copout, Terry. It is also completely un-actionable in legislative and other regulatory terms. In other words, it’s useless.

There certainly are cases of monopolistic and oligopolistic power which tend to raise prices, and there are also plenty of different types and examples of other anticompetitive practices – – such as price-fixing. Those are definable economic terms, and subject to legal prohibitions. Beyond that, though, no one has ever been able to define “price gouging.“ Including you. As tomato coupe has suggested, most claims of price gouging are actually rather simple examples of supply and demand operating through the marketplace to allocate scarce goods and services.
Old 04-02-23, 04:50 PM
Koyote

Define "price gouging."
Your answer is a copout, Terry. It is also completely un-actionable in legislative and other regulatory terms. In other words, it’s useless.

There certainly are cases of monopolistic and oligopolistic power which tend to raise prices, and there are also plenty of different types and examples of other anticompetitive practices – – such as price-fixing. Those are definable economic terms, and subject to legal prohibitions. Beyond that, though, no one has ever been able to define “price gouging.“ Including you. As tomato coupe has suggested, most claims of price gouging are actually rather simple examples of supply and demand operating through the marketplace to allocate scarce goods and services. But many people tend to dislike market outcomes when they translate into higher prices for the goods they desire.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-02-23, 04:58 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

There certainly are cases of monopolistic and oligopolistic power which tend to raise prices, and there are also plenty of different types and examples of other anticompetitive practices – – such as price-fixing. Those are definable economic terms, and subject to legal prohibitions. Beyond that, though, no one has ever been able to define “price gouging.“ Including you. As tomato coupe has suggested, most claims of price gouging are actually rather simple examples of supply and demand operating through the marketplace to allocate scarce goods and services. But many people tend to dislike market outcomes when they translate into higher prices for the goods they desire.
^ This.
The alternative to “price gouging” is a price ceiling leading to zero availability.

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-02-23, 05:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Beyond that, though, no one has ever been able to define “price gouging.“ Including you.
Nonsense.

Dozens of states have laws defining price gouging, and there are several court judgements on the books penalizing companies for price gouging.

And it’s not just state law. The US Courts have weighed in:

Brooklyn Company Sentenced for Price Gouging KN95 Masks During COVID-19 Pandemic

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-02-23 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-02-23, 05:08 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
^ This.
The alternative to “price gouging” is a price ceiling leading to zero availability.

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
A price ceiling does not lead to “zero availability.” It does, however, reduce the quantity supplied, which typically leads to a shortage— which is not the same thing.
Old 04-02-23, 05:08 PM
Koyote

Nonsense.

Dozens of states have laws defining price gouging, and there are several court judgements on the books penalizing companies for price gouging.
So give us an objective, actionable definition. Should be easy enough to provide.
Old 04-02-23, 05:17 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

A price ceiling does not lead to “zero availability.” It does, however, reduce the quantity supplied, which typically leads to a shortage— which is not the same thing.
The point is putting a ceiling doesn’t solve the fundamental problem of limited resources, unlimited desires.
Old 04-02-23, 05:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

And it’s not just state law. The US Courts have weighed in:

Brooklyn Company Sentenced for Price Gouging KN95 Masks During COVID-19 Pandemic
We have the same laws here in Canada. Things got so bad during the last Covid 19 pandemic that the government had to crack down on businesses that were charging unreasonable amount of money for some of the essential products.
Old 04-02-23, 05:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

So give us an objective, actionable definition. Should be easy enough to provide.
See the Defense Production Act, Section 102.

I don’t see the text of the law, but here’s the commentary from DOJ:

Combating Price Gouging and Hoarding

Old 04-02-23, 05:29 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
In the mid 90’s, a really good tire was $40. I still remember this because my dad was mad at me for wanting to spend as much on a bike tire as a car tire. I earned $4.25 an hour as a lifeguard and gas was between $.75 and $1.10 depending on the season.

Fast forward to now. I can usually get tires for $40-$50. Occasionally I’ll splurge and get some absolutely sweet ones for $55-$75. Occasionally because there are usually sales.

I make a “tad” more now than then and everything else is way more expensive.

If anything, adjusting for inflation, bike tires are cheaper than they used to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.