Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 09:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Chain lubing shouldn't be a complex chemistry experiment. Here are 4 simple easy to follow steps to successful chain lubing / cleaning.

Step 1....Wipe the dirty chain with a rag. You can use a little bit of solvent of your choice or rubbing alcohol.
Step 2....Put a drop of oil in each individual link'
Step 3....Spin the cranks to distribute the oil through the whole chain
Step 4...Wipe off any excess oil with a rag.
With the right choice of chain lubricant, you can skip step one…and pretty much all the other steps as well.

Easy peasy, no need to remove a chain from the bike, no need to mix and boil dangerous chemicals and risk an explosion and fire.
While I agree, oil based lubricants are the reason that people need the elaborate steps for cleaning chains, drivetrains, and bicycles. The pictures I posted above are an example of the over use of oil but the vast majority of bicycles I work on at my co-op are just slightly less filthy. My picture in post 55 is typical of what my drivetrain looks like all the time. I don’t have to wipe or clean or do anything to the chain, drivetrain, nor bike to make it look that way.

People who hot wax have been convinced by others that they need to do elaborate cleaning of the chain for wax to work. There is really no reason for doing so. There really isn’t any reason for doing elaborate multistep cleaning of oiled chains either. They need to be cleaned more often because of the oil but the procedure needs to be no more complicated than a 30 second vigorous agitation of the chain in mineral spirits…which is relatively benign.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-07-23, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Cleaning is an important first step in maintenance. If you're working on a dirty bike, you're doing it wrong.
  1. clean
  2. inspect
  3. detect
  4. correct
If you are using a product that requires cleaning of the bike before you perform maintenance on it, you are doing it wrong. Road dust and mud are one thing but bicycles don’t need to be grimy from oil used on the chain. Here’s an example of what my bikes look like before and after nearly a month of constant riding while on tour. Beginning of tour on June 21, 2021. I did no cleaning on the bike before the tour and it hadn’t really been cleaned since its use on a previous tour in 2015.

July 21, 2021 at the end of more than 1200 miles of riding around the upper part of Lake Michigan. That included several days of rain riding. The only maintenance I did was to lube the chain after rain.

Bikes simply don’t need to be cleaned all the time…even when heavily used.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-07-23, 09:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
My picture in post 55 is typical of what my drivetrain looks like all the time. I don’t have to wipe or clean or do anything to the chain, drivetrain, nor bike to make it look that way.\.
I ride mostly on dirt and gravel roads (=dusty and dirty), and just do a wipe and re-lube every several rides, along with a more serious cleaning (with one of those handheld chain cleaners) when I wash the whole bike. My chain generally looks like yours in the middle of a cycle.
Old 04-07-23, 10:11 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Koyote
I ride mostly on dirt and gravel roads (=dusty and dirty), and just do a wipe and re-lube every several rides, along with a more serious cleaning (with one of those handheld chain cleaners) when I wash the whole bike. My chain generally looks like yours in the middle of a cycle.
My point is that I do zero “serious cleaning” because it is unnecessary.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-07-23, 10:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
My point is that I do zero “serious cleaning” because it is unnecessary.
Yeah, I understand. My "serious cleaning" adds about five minutes of work, so not really very serious.
Old 04-07-23, 10:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Bikes simply don’t need to be cleaned all the time…even when heavily used.
Results may vary depending on the user's level of tolerance for riding an un-clean bike. My tolerance is fairly low.
Old 04-07-23, 10:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
There is no such thing as ‘a waste of time’ in bicycle maintenance. On the contrary, bike repair can be likened to a holy and mystical experience because it requires patience, attention to detail, and a deep understanding of its mechanical functions. Sufficient study and practice will result in a form of nirvana where you and the bicycle become one as it performs smoothly and efficiently.

Additionally bike maintenance can be almost meditative or therapeutic, providing a sense of calm and focus. Like any activity that requires skill and practice, bicycle maintenance can lead to a more fulfilled sense of self. It ain’t no waste.
I'll put that in a more practical framing - the folks on this thread each obviously reach their own decisions on what is and is not a waste of time, and then simply don't do the ones that they think are wastes of time. To some, the idea of having to take a new chain and soak it in solvent to get it molecularly clean, before dipping it in hot wax seems like a giant PITA, and we get thousands of miles out of our chains. e.g. the chain on my Canyon ONLY JUST allowed the 0.5 tooth on the chain checker to drop into the slot after 5000 miles. But others don't feel like it's a waste of time at all and don't mind doing it, maybe even ENJOY it! So who's to say it's a waste of time?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-07-23, 10:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
July 21, 2021 at the end of more than 1200 miles of riding around the upper part of Lake Michigan. That included several days of rain riding. The only maintenance I did was to lube the chain after rain.
All I can think is that those roads in Michigan must be very clean. Just one day of rain riding around here (SF Peninsula) leaves a bike (and a person) pretty grungy. I gently hose my bike down after a wet ride, and I take off the soiled pieces of kit in the garage.

Old 04-07-23, 10:45 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Arguing about what one should do, and how to do it. You do yours, I'll do mine. Case closed.
Old 04-07-23, 10:49 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Eric F
Results may vary depending on the user's level of tolerance for riding an un-clean bike. My tolerance is fairly low.
As is mine. I just happen to keep the bike from getting dirty while still riding it in the first place. As evidenced in post 55, post 127, and any of the following. You can see in all of the pictures that the bikes have dirt from use on the wheels and tires. They have not been specifically cleaned for the photo. The panniers in the touring bike picture show road grime from approximately 600 miles of riding. But the drivetrains are squeaky clean. I don’t like cleaning and I don’t do it often because I don’t need to.

Old 04-07-23, 10:51 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Arguing about what one should do, and how to do it. You do yours, I'll do mine. Case closed.
But then this thread would be dead. We can't have that.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-07-23, 11:05 AM
cyccommute 

All I can think is that those roads in Michigan must be very clean. Just one day of rain riding around here (SF Peninsula) leaves a bike (and a person) pretty grungy. I gently hose my bike down after a wet ride, and I take off the soiled pieces of kit in the garage.
I wouldn’t say that they are all that clean. This picture was taken north of Lake Winnebago after 62 miles of rain. It was on asphalt but I’d still say that’s pretty dirty.

Just to be clear, I’m not from Michigan. The worst place to ride a bike in the rain that I’ve ever experienced is Mackinac Island. They don’t allow cars and use horses extensively. It’s best not to think about what is flowing down the road and why it looks green. Ewww!

Old 04-07-23, 11:06 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

As is mine. I just happen to keep the bike from getting dirty while still riding it in the first place. As evidenced in post 55, post 127, and any of the following. You can see in all of the pictures that the bikes have dirt from use on the wheels and tires. They have not been specifically cleaned for the photo. The panniers in the touring bike picture show road grime from approximately 600 miles of riding. But the drivetrains are squeaky clean. I don’t like cleaning and I don’t do it often because I don’t need to.

My definition of "squeaky clean" and yours seem to vary a bit, but if that works for you, it's all good.

I don't mind doing cleaning, maintenance, or repairs on my bikes. After a good ride in the morning, spending a couple of hours tinkering on my bikes in the afternoon, with the garage door open, and some music playing, is a very happy way to spend my time. That's how I roll. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how they should do it.
Old 04-07-23, 11:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
My bikes are 17% cleaner with 14% less effort, regardless of the conditions I ride in.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-07-23, 11:43 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Sadly, many can't seem to do that. Thus the "religious wars" continue.
Old 04-07-23, 11:56 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Cleaning is an important first step in maintenance.
Cleaning what needs to be cleaned to prevent internal contamination is indeed a good initial step in many maintenance tasks. Example from auto maintenance: wiping the dipstick with a clean rag or paper towel/napkin/tissue before reinserting it to check the oil.

But that can be overdone to the point of being counterproductive, both time-wise and mechanically. You don't need to de-grease the exterior of the entire engine before changing the oil.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-07-23, 12:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Sadly, many can't seem to do that. Thus the "religious wars" continue.
Handbags at dawn!

Old 04-07-23, 01:23 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Using fancy bike cleaning products and spending 3 hours to get the bike spotless clean and shiny.
Couldn't agree More !!
Likes For Fastfingaz:
Old 04-07-23, 03:15 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Chain lubing shouldn't be a complex chemistry experiment.
You are absolutely correct.

Easy peasy, no need to remove a chain from the bike, no need to mix and boil dangerous chemicals and risk an explosion and fire.
I seemed to have missed a memo. I've been severely lacking in the mixing department and I'll be honest, I haven't boiled a dangerous chemical once. Should I be doing that? What dangerous chemicals would you recommend for best results? And also what do I mix them with?
Old 04-07-23, 03:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

I don't mind doing cleaning, maintenance, or repairs on my bikes.
I don't mind doing maintenance or repairs on my bikes. I have enough tools to do most of what needs to be done on bikes including wheel building or trueing. What I don't like is obsessive cleaning, there is no need to wash and clean the whole bike when replacing a set of brake pads or replacing a chain. None of the bikes which I own have been fully washed since new.
Old 04-07-23, 03:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Cleaning is an important first step in maintenance. If you're working on a dirty bike, you're doing it wrong.
  1. clean
  2. inspect
  3. detect
  4. correct
Just clean a small area around the part of the bike and component which is being replaced or worked on. There is no need to get the whole bike sparkling clean.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-07-23, 03:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by elcruxio

I haven't boiled a dangerous chemical once. Should I be doing that? What dangerous chemicals would you recommend for best results? And also what do I mix them with?
I don't know because I don't wax my chains....You should ask all the chain waxers out there about the methods and rituals which they use to create their homebrew chain wax. I do recall some posters here a while ago saying that they boiled all kinds of nasty chemicals to create their homebrew chain lube.
Old 04-07-23, 03:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I don't mind doing maintenance or repairs on my bikes. I have enough tools to do most of what needs to be done on bikes including wheel building or trueing. What I don't like is obsessive cleaning, there is no need to wash and clean the whole bike when replacing a set of brake pads or replacing a chain. None of the bikes which I own have been fully washed since new.
If I'm replacing parts on my bike, it's most likely that the bike will get a hose-off and wipe-down, as well. Depending on which bike, and it's current condition, the cleaning might take place before I do the other work. This is just how how I like to do things, largely because I prefer working on a clean bike. If you don't like to do it that way, don't do it.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-07-23 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-07-23, 03:50 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I don't know because I don't wax my chains....You should ask all the chain waxers out there about the methods and rituals which they use to create their homebrew chain wax. I do recall some posters here a while ago saying that they boiled all kinds of nasty chemicals to create their homebrew chain lube.
Oh I just use food grade paraffin. I don't think it's all that dangerous, but I might be wrong.

I wonder what chemicals were boiled... paraffin wax boils at 370°C but you only need to heat it to around 70°C so that it melts. You sure about that whole boiling part? Seems a bit weird to me...
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 04-07-23, 04:21 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
While I myself am not in the obcessive hot wax cult, I don't see any "nasty chemicals" in parafin wax. The cleaners some people use are more toxic than parafin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.