Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 09:30 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

What a pain in the butt. Cleaning out the old sealant then getting the tire to stay inflated. Seating the tires is no issue with the fillmore tubeless valves. I stick the tires in a tub of water, cannot find any leaks but the air finds its way out.

In the last 5 years, I have yet to fix a flat while riding tubeless. But you have to carry a couple of tubes regardless. Kind of negates any advantage to running tubeless, especially at 65. a bottle for sealant. Plus that dried up crap you need to clean out.

How many of you converted to tubeless. Did u decide to switch back.
Likes For b88:
Old 04-09-23, 09:40 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
None of the bikes I've converted to tubeless have gone back to tubes. But when I swapped touring bikes I failed to source tubeless rims for the new one. That was stupid, because obviously that would have saved a lot of headaches. Well, it's always fun to build more wheels I guess...

You probably don't need more than one tube for a ride. If that. I don't carry tubes with the MTB. Just a small dynaplug system. For the road bike I carry a tube but haven't needed it yet.

The sealant I use is water soluble so I prevent the dried up boogers by pouring in some water every once in a while. I'll clean the rim when I swap a worn/damaged tire for a new one.

I don't care about pressure loss. If there is any I just ride the bike and at some point it stops. If by some chance the tire's gone completely flat during the night I'll just pump it up before setting off. I check pressures before every ride anyway.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 04-09-23, 10:15 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Traitor! Heretic!

Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-09-23, 10:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Went tubeless (Mavic specifically) about 5 years ago on 4 bikes. Have never had a flat or a problem with mounting or maintaining them. Never going back to tubes.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-09-23, 10:28 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
My mountain and gravel bikes are tubeless and I wouldn’t even consider running them with tubes. I carry plugs and CO2. I do bring an extra tube but I’ve never used it.

Most issues are with the valve sides. It’s rare but this is where I see leaks. The only other is that you have to ensure the rim and tube are clean with no goo-bers when mounting.

My road bike has tubeless compatible wheels and I have used them. I switched back. There was no weight savings, no discernible difference in rolling, and I don’t put a ton of miles on that bike, so I don’t like maintaining my goo for it.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-09-23, 10:32 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
What a pain in the butt. Cleaning out the old sealant then getting the tire to stay inflated. Seating the tires is no issue with the fillmore tubeless valves. I stick the tires in a tub of water, cannot find any leaks but the air finds its way out.

In the last 5 years, I have yet to fix a flat while riding tubeless. But you have to carry a couple of tubes regardless. Kind of negates any advantage to running tubeless, especially at 65. a bottle for sealant. Plus that dried up crap you need to clean out.

You twice mention cleaning out the old crap? Why?

Very happy with tubeless but that’s me, just finished a month long tour in South East Asia riding a light supple performance tire with no flats. That is only possible with tubeless.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-09-23 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-09-23, 10:48 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
3 wheel sets are now tubeless and am not going back. 3 punctures in 3 years over 32,000 miles is the reason. Different wheel and tire combinations are much easier to deal with (mounting and seating) than others as I have found out. I may have more patience for the fiddly stuff too.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-09-23, 11:02 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Was this rim sealed using rim tape? Is the air leaking past the tape?
I find that tubeless rim tape is the weakest link in the system. If you want to go tubeless, find an actual tubeless rim with no spoke holes in the rim bed.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-09-23, 11:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I've gone back to buying and riding my tubes tubed. Tubulars. Tubes inside tubes. And back to the old ride - totally tubular (in the sense of the kids' "tubular" of a few years back). The magic carpets. Hand made by artisans in some distant corner of the planet. (They are getting more modern. The hand stitching is still there but they no longer recruit silkworms for the casings.)

The Paris-Roubaix race just happened this morning. As usual flats were a deciding factor. And one chilling note early in the race. I was following on the written commentary of Cycing News. They mentioned a rider having his tubeless tire come off entirely. Did not say more about the outcome. But I had an old clincher tire come off a few years back and that was one of my top 5 crashes. Rear. First I was riding on "ice". Then the tire (rear) jammed in the seatstays; pitching me over the bars. At just over 20 mph. Tires coming off has been a nightmare for me since - preventing me from enjoying high speed descents and literally; waking me up more than a few times. The #1 driving force in my return to tubulars which I rode for 20 years. Last September, I loved the fast descents at Cycle Oregon with those tubulars. Down rough chip seal with cracks. Down roads I knew nothing about. On tires I could trust completely.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-09-23, 11:39 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Tubeless offers zero advantages...I have no interest in tubeless, it's just not worth the hassle of having to deal with messy sealant, leaks and all kinds of other tubeless specific crap which is required...I use tires with puncture protection and I don't get a lot of flats with tubes so that's what I will continue to use.
Likes For wolfchild:
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
I switched from tubeless back to tubes on my road bikes, but I'm still in love-hate relationships with tubeless tires on my gravel bike and my wife's road/gravel bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I love my tubes. But I am a roadie and not in an area with goatheads or such. I do not care for serious mountain biking, and real gravel riding is not in my regular routine. 100+psi in road tires is my comfort zone. I do buy $$$ tires and change them before completely worn out. I average about one flat per year in 2-3000 miles. I consider that a reasonable trade-off when measured against the cost of converting to tubeless. I can change a tube with no problems, so (for me) tubeless is not a technology of cycling progress.

I do carry sealant for the many bikes with tubular tires. And I have switched many bikes to 27-30mm tires instead of 22-25 exclusively, since the larger tires are now available with better casings than in the past.
Old 04-09-23, 11:57 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I've gone tubeless on my gravel bike and don't see myself going back to tubes there. The drawback is I avoid changing out tires. On my road bikes I still ride with tubes because I often change tires, sometimes swapping tires between different bikes, and tubed clinchers make that exercise just a tad less tedious.
Old 04-09-23, 12:30 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Went tubeless on two road bikes, Thousands of miles later, I'll never return to tubes.
I do like Mavic's "Fore" technology. The inner rim is not drilled and there is no need for Rim Tape.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-09-23, 12:40 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Tubeless offers zero advantages...
Well...
- Lower rolling resistance
- Lighter
- More secure tire/rim interface (though you get the same benefit by using a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim and using a tube. But that'd be silly)
- the opportunity to use a fast, light, supple, comfortable tire with next to no fear of flats.
- no pinch flats

Sure you can slice a tire in such a way not even a plug can fix it. But in that case it matters not even if you have a tube, tubular or in many cases a puncture resistant garden hose.
Old 04-09-23, 12:41 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I used sealant on two fat tire bikes but for my mountain and road bikes there is no big advantage where I ride. If I road in goat thorn country with my mountain bikes it would be different. I run my mountain bike tires at normal pressures as I am not that proficient to gain by running lower pressures.

I have had only one flat tire in past decades and that was thanks to a motorist tossing a glass Coke bottle out on the road and my riding over the shards with my bike.
Old 04-09-23, 01:08 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I used sealant on two fat tire bikes but for my mountain and road bikes there is no big advantage where I ride. If I road in goat thorn country with my mountain bikes it would be different. I run my mountain bike tires at normal pressures as I am not that proficient to gain by running lower pressures.

I have had only one flat tire in past decades and that was thanks to a motorist tossing a glass Coke bottle out on the road and my riding over the shards with my bike.
You are obviously perfectly suited for high performance latex tubed clinchers or tubulars. In my area Mountain bikers are almost 100% tubeless because of the performance advantages and reduced flats. Being able to ride decades on the road or mountain biking without getting a flat is an amazing accomplishment especially if you are running performance tires.

Unfortunately punctures are a reality for myself and a majority of other sporting cyclists, gravel riders and touring enthusiasts and thus the popularity of tubeless. I love the feeling of a supple performance tire and if that requires adding some sealant every 6 months or so it’s worth it for me.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-09-23, 02:12 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Not going back to tubes. Only had one puncture running tubeless in 3 years, which sealed and has stayed sealed ever since. Will probably stop carrying a tube on rides soon.

Comparing roadside repair incidents in group rides from recent memory, 2 with tubeless and 2 with tubes, both tubeless punctures involved pulling over, waiting for the sealant to seal, then a few pumps of air to top off. Of the tubed punctures, everyone had a nice long break waiting for the victims to go through the whole tube replacement process, with one taking extra long since for whatever reason the guy went through all his inner tubes and CO2. That guy punctured again later, at which point his ride was over since the rest of the group was already well ahead before we heard about it.

To properly set up tubeless does involve extra work in the garage, but it saves so much time and trouble later out on the roads that it's a trade off I'll take every time now.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-09-23, 03:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Well...
- Lower rolling resistance
- Lighter
- More secure tire/rim interface (though you get the same benefit by using a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim and using a tube. But that'd be silly)
- the opportunity to use a fast, light, supple, comfortable tire with next to no fear of flats.
- no pinch flats

Sure you can slice a tire in such a way not even a plug can fix it. But in that case it matters not even if you have a tube, tubular or in many cases a puncture resistant garden hose.
Two comments - a tubeless rider in today's pro race had a tubeless come off completely. And tubular riders have been carrying spares far longer than I have lived. With that spare, doesn't matter what happened to the first.
Old 04-09-23, 03:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Mo comments in bold:

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Well [tubeless tires have]...
- Lower rolling resistance [not true -- GP5000 TR has higher RR than GP5000 with latex tube]
- Lighter [not true -- GP5000 with latex tube is lighter than GP5000 TR with sealant]
- More secure tire/rim interface [oh really? see "burping"]
- the opportunity to use a fast, light, supple, comfortable tire with next to no fear of flats. [because of liquid sealant, big woop]
- no pinch flats [phew, finally something that's true]

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-09-23, 04:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Two comments - a tubeless rider in today's pro race had a tubeless come off completely.
Tubulars can also come off the rim in certain conditions. Ask Joseba Beloki about that
Extreme example, but what race is more extreme than Paris Roubaix?
I have never had a road tubeless tire come off the rim, but I have rolled a tubular

Last edited by alcjphil; 04-09-23 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-09-23, 04:32 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
After going through a bad patch with flats I put solid rubber tyres (Tannus) on my belt-drive Marin, thus creating a virtually zero-maintenance bike. Since then, although it's not the most enjoyable bike to ride in my, ahem, collection, it has seen substantially more kilometeres than any of my other bikes.
Old 04-09-23, 04:45 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by b88

I'm sticking to tubeless for MTB, still on the fence on road. I do have one wheelset with 30mm tyres set up tubeless which I'm thinking about just putting tubes in.

I never clean the dried tubeless out of my tires. If I pop a bead for some reason, I only clean the bead and the rim if necessary to get the bead seated again.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-09-23, 04:48 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Tubeless offers zero advantages...
... for you
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-09-23, 05:13 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I prefer tubeless by a wide margin, except for the bikes I don't use often. What this really means, is the one bike I using 95% of the time I run tubeless, the others I use tubes. But where I live, running tubes more or less requires using tire liners and Slime or similar in the tube. Just too many goat heads around. Makes for a very heavy setup compared to tubeless.

I don't get the OP's thing about cleaning out old sealant. Most of the time, the only reason I ever remove a tubeless tire is to replace it when it is wore out. So, I don't need to clean the tire, it's going in the trash. And the rim just takes a moment to wipe clean since the sealant won't be dried out.

The biggest problem I have had was getting a tire to seat. This also happened to be a tire that was almost impossible to get on or off. I'm not exaggerating. Required 2x4 levers, using socket heads as fulcrums, and often took days because I needed to rest my hands. That was just to get the tires on or off the rims. Getting the damn thing to seat was a whole other issue. I don't use those tires anymore.

Tires that can be mounted by hand also seem to be the ones that will seat very easily. I can setup tubeless as fast as a tube in this case.

While I do carry a spare tube with me on the tubeless setup, I really question why. In 4 years of running tubeless, I've never needed to put a tube in. I do almost all road riding, so I'm sure this is why. But I've had to plug a tire a few times. But that is still way easier than replacing a tube on the side of the road.

If I could run a bike tubeless, and have the sealant stay fresh for months when I don't ride the bike, I would run all my bikes tubeless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.