Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tried to take me out again, and 13.5mph average.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tried to take me out again, and 13.5mph average.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Yea, there is an older guy who rides a route I do and I have slowed and talked to him a few times. I don't know if he is older than me or not, but he rides a carbon-fiber road bike while wearing a tour-de france outfit, and he never goes more than about 12 mph, that is the speed he told me we were going when I slowed to ride next to him once.
I just think it is amusing to pass people up while riding a fifty year-old Huffy while wearing sneakers and cut-off jeans when they are dressed like Lance Armstrong and riding a carbon-framed aero-bike.

There is an older guy who does the same Sunday group ride that I sometimes do. He isn't able to ride very fast, and takes a shortcut so he can finish the ride close to the same time as those of us who do the full route. He rides a variety of newer, high-end, carbon fiber road bikes built with top-level parts, and he wears matching kits from local team/clubs or (what appears to be) European teams/clubs . One might look at him and think his expensive bike and matching kit are ridiculous for an old and slow guy like that. What most people might not know is that he used to be incredibly fast, and probably has more championship jerseys than I have t-shirts. He rides nice bikes because he appreciates how they ride, at whatever speed he is currently able to make them go.
Old 05-01-23, 10:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
^^^Bet he can still avg 19.5 mph over 5 miles on a good day.
Old 05-01-23, 10:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

There is an older guy who does the same Sunday group ride that I sometimes do. He isn't able to ride very fast, and takes a shortcut so he can finish the ride close to the same time as those of us who do the full route. He rides a variety of newer, high-end, carbon fiber road bikes built with top-level parts, and he wears matching kits from local team/clubs or (what appears to be) European teams/clubs . One might look at him and think his expensive bike and matching kit are ridiculous for an old and slow guy like that. What most people might not know is that he used to be incredibly fast, and probably has more championship jerseys than I have t-shirts. He rides nice bikes because he appreciates how they ride, at whatever speed he is currently able to make them go.
Is it this guy?
Old 05-01-23, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by big john
Is it this guy?
Yes!
Old 05-01-23, 10:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^Bet he can still avg 19.5 mph over 5 miles on a good day.
That might be beyond him, currently, but still doesn't exclude him from riding whatever kind of bike he wants to ride.
Old 05-01-23, 10:43 AM
big john

Yes!
I met him once. He seemed quiet and a bit shy, but still friendly. I think he's 87 now?
Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-23, 10:47 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I met him once. He seemed quiet and a bit shy, but still friendly. I think he's 87 now?
He's pretty chatty on Sunday mornings. He also has a pretty think French accent. I assumed he was in in 70s, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-01-23, 10:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
There is an older guy who does the same Sunday group ride that I sometimes do. He isn't able to ride very fast, and takes a shortcut so he can finish the ride close to the same time as those of us who do the full route. He rides a variety of newer, high-end, carbon fiber road bikes built with top-level parts, and he wears matching kits from local team/clubs or (what appears to be) European teams/clubs . One might look at him and think his expensive bike and matching kit are ridiculous for an old and slow guy like that. What most people might not know is that he used to be incredibly fast, and probably has more championship jerseys than I have t-shirts.
Yep. You never know who those older guys are. I sometimes ride in a group with a fellow old guy who keeps a moderate pace, but he never seems to be under any stress. That's because he isn't. He's intentionally keeping his heart rate low to avoid triggering a-fib, something he developed as a world-class marathon racer.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-01-23, 11:20 AM
big john

He's pretty chatty on Sunday mornings. He also has a pretty think French accent. I assumed he was in in 70s, but I could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure he's at least mid 80s.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-23, 11:22 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Posers.

EDIT: I found the results. He won the crit in the 85-89 age group, so you're on target with age.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-01-23 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-01-23, 11:29 AM
big john

Posers.
lol. I looked at the results page for the race in the picture and he is listed as the winner of the 85-90 division. Which is a pretty amazing sentence.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-23, 12:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Here's the guy that makes all of us elder cyclists look like weaklings: S. Durwood Higgins. He keeps showing up at the USA Nationals and winning, year after year. Last year, he won the national road race, time trial, and criterium.

He didn't even start racing seriously until after he retired. Now in the 80+ group.

He was on the 2012 United-4-Health 4-Man Team which still holds RAAM’s age 70+ record. He’s won 15 USA Cycling Masters National Road Championships and 5 Best All-Around Rider Awards. 12 gold, 4 silver medals in 20 National Senior Olympics events. 19 golds, and 4 silvers, 3 Bronze, and 5 BAR awards at Huntsman Sr World Games racing 9 of last 11 years. Won Mt Evans Hill Climb 70+ at age 75.

Podium from last year's Huntsman road race. Higgins in 1st place. My buddy Roger, 84, is on the left, 3rd place. He is cajoling me into doing Huntsman with him this year, in the 65+ category. I'm a maybe. Those 65+ guys are super strong.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-01-23, 02:38 PM
big john

Originally Posted by terrymorse

He was on the 2012 United-4-Health 4-Man Team which still holds RAAM’s age 70+ record. He’s won 15 USA Cycling Masters National Road Championships and 5 Best All-Around Rider Awards. 12 gold, 4 silver medals in 20 National Senior Olympics events. 19 golds, and 4 silvers, 3 Bronze, and 5 BAR awards at Huntsman Sr World Games racing 9 of last 11 years. Won Mt Evans Hill Climb 70+ at age 75..
Geez, what a slacker.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-23, 07:57 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Yep. You never know who those older guys are. I sometimes ride in a group with a fellow old guy who keeps a moderate pace, but he never seems to be under any stress. That's because he isn't. He's intentionally keeping his heart rate low to avoid triggering a-fib, something he developed as a world-class marathon racer.
Training close to max ftp tears up the heart muscle and the way it rebuilds can alter the way it's electrical circuits work. Since I had a life-long congenital problem with irregular heartbeat anyway, I now try to stay away from riding at max power as much as possible. I am pretty sure riding at max power has also aggravated my leaky heart valve. Young people don't think about beating the crap out of their heart muscle when training for sports, but research shows it may not be the best thing for old guys with gray hair. Training at max also is known to accelerate arterial disease and damage.
Old 05-01-23, 08:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
There is a 73 YO that I have ridden with that held and still holds just about every local Strava fastest segment time for 65-70 YOs. He still rides, lifts and runs. Last time I rode with him, he had an S-Works bike with carbon 50s, Sidis and electronic shifting. After his long-lived racing career, he still appreciates good equipment, 30-40 mile rides and an occasional sprint. He has several records there is no way I can touch, especially his 28 MPH on a two miler.

Old 05-02-23, 10:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Training close to max ftp tears up the heart muscle and the way it rebuilds can alter the way it's electrical circuits work
That's a half-truth at best. The mechanism that causes atrial fibrillation (AF) from intense endurance exercise is not known. The amount of intense exercise that increases AF risk is also unknown.

Some interesting points from the recent science:
  • "it remains unclear at which point exercise may become detrimental"
  • "data are not conclusive, controversy continues, and may questions remain unanswered"
  • "[I]t might be expected that meta-analyses...would clearly support endurance exercise as a risk factor for AF. This is not however the case."
  • "Older athletes [> 53 years old] were not at increased risk of AF compared to age-matched sedentary controls"
  • "Cumulative duration of high-intensity endurance training predicts AF...The published cutoff values used to differentiate risk are 1500–2000 h total of intense exertion"
And some good news:
  • "endurance athletes demonstrate reduced [mortality] risk with increased training"
  • " athletes appear to not die of stroke despite the increased incidence of AF"
  • "The high-intensity exercise group also reported lower rates of coronary artery disease, heart failure, and stroke"
Source: Stergiou D, Duncan E. Atrial Fibrillation (AF) in Endurance Athletes: a Complicated Affair. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2018 Oct 26;20(12):98. doi: 10.1007/s11936-018-0697-9. PMID: 30367267; PMCID: PMC6209018.

Training at max also is known to accelerate arterial disease and damage.
A citation would be nice here. The few articles I've read indicate intense exercise does not in any way cause coronary artery disease.

Old 05-02-23, 10:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Training close to max ftp tears up the heart muscle and the way it rebuilds can alter the way it's electrical circuits work. Since I had a life-long congenital problem with irregular heartbeat anyway, I now try to stay away from riding at max power as much as possible. I am pretty sure riding at max power has also aggravated my leaky heart valve. Young people don't think about beating the crap out of their heart muscle when training for sports, but research shows it may not be the best thing for old guys with gray hair. Training at max also is known to accelerate arterial disease and damage.
What is "max FTP"? FTP and max. power are not the same thing.
Old 05-02-23, 10:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Holy guads, Bat Man!

When I went to the Italian Cycling Center I got dropped by a guy in his 80s on a short climb. Everyone in our small group did.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-02-23, 02:42 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Dreary Erie? The Mistake on the Lake?
Hey! I thought that was Cleveland, OH! What gives?
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-02-23, 05:21 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pretty sure the pie plate on the chain ring went out of use when people stopped wearing bell bottoms.
Back when I started riding in the Schwinn Varsity days, they sold a clip you could use to gather all that bellbottom material on your right leg and clip it out of the way. Yes, I'm old.
Old 05-02-23, 05:41 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In my much younger days, when I did ride in work clothes on my commute (white pants!), I learned that the most effective way to protect the cuffs was to tuck them into my socks. Some of my bikes back in the day had chain guards, but they really weren't anywhere near as effective.
Yes ! I assumed that Beng1 tucks his Sgt Pepper Bells into his beige Penney's socks...
Sweet ! Five months away and I see the entertainment value here is still quite high level...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-02-23, 05:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
This is far from conclusive and research is still very much a work in progress. “Max ftp” is also a nonsensical term.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-02-23, 06:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts

the majority of the public have no idea they have any option other than to be mindless consumers, and they desperately need to be shown their options.
So my options are a very badly fitting helmet, flapping shirt and a dubious bike fit? No thanks!
Old 05-03-23, 12:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So my options are a very badly fitting helmet, flapping shirt and a dubious bike fit? No thanks!
Only the anti-elite have agency. Everyone else just follows their programming.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-04-23, 08:32 PM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Read em and weep;

:"

EXCESSIVE ENDURANCE EXERCISE AND AF

Despite compelling evidence for exercise as medicine in AF, research has demonstrated that, counterintuitively, long-term endurance training increases the risk of incident AF (49, 50). The heightened prevalence of AF is not uniform across elite athletes but seems to favor a high volume of endurance training such as cycling, running, and cross-country skiing (21). In a Swedish cohort study (n = >52,000), repeated participation and faster finishing time in long-distance cross-country ski races (surrogate marker of exercise training history) were associated with increased risk for AF (4). In agreement, Myrstad et al. (54) found that, in older Norwegian men, a history of endurance sport practice was a risk factor for AF, with an effect comparable to traditional risk factors for AF (e.g., coronary heart disease and hypertension). A later study by Myrstad et al. (55), combined two independent cohorts and demonstrated a graded dose-response relationship with an adjusted odds ratio for lone AF 1.26 (95% confidence interval 1.10 to 1.44) per 10 yr of exercise training."

From this article; https://journals.physiology.org/doi/...art.00509.2020
Likes For beng1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.