Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How does a bicycle steer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: How does a bicycle steer?
Turning in the direction of travel
12.00%
Countersteering
28.00%
A little bit of both
30.00%
Other
30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How does a bicycle steer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 07:10 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Under "other" I would put camber thrust (Camber thrust - Wikipedia)
Camber thrust is generated when the wheel leans toward the direction of the turn.
Than lean can be generated by countersteer or weight shifting.
On a 20 (or 50 or 80) pound bike, rider weight is enough to induce sufficient lead even when riding aggressively.
One a motorcycle weighing several hundred pounds, not so much (and even less as the weight increases)

Countersteer is actually applying pressure to the steering mechanism in the direction opposite to which you want to move. This leans the wheel in the direction of the turn due to gyroscopic force. In this video he leans the wheel (gyroscope) and it turns the platform, I could not find one where they turn the wheel and get lean induced, but it is just the reverse of what is shown.
Old 08-25-23, 07:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts

Bicycle dynamics, control and handling

...the most exhaustive research base on this topic of which I am currently aware. Enjoy.
Old 08-25-23, 07:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The vast majority of turning is leaning. The faster yo go, the more it's about the lean. That is why toe/front wheel overlap only matters at low speeds; if your front tire hits your toe at speed, you have crashed or are in the procees.

I saw a video (probably by following a BF link) that had a guy rigging up a bike so it could be steered to the right and then had people try to turn left. They could not do it. Same thing when he reversed it (no left tun possible, riders asked to turn right). His asserted conclusion was that all turns on a bike begin with a little bit of counter-steer, which induces a little bit of lean in the direction you want to turn, at which point leaning and turning in the direction you want to go takes over. It all happens so fast and you have taught yourself to react so quickly that you don't notice the initial little bit of counter-steer.

It sure sounds counter-intuitive, but the video was pretty compelling (an pretty humorous).
...there used to be a guy who showed up every year at the state fair with one of those bicycles modified with a double head tube and gearing so the bar turns opposite the wheel direction.
He would hire some cute young girl, and she would draw in the rubes (guys every one of them), with the promise of , "Ride it fifty feet, and win a hundred dollars !!" I think you paid five bucks for this opportunity.

That was a money maker and a half. There was always a line of guys, certain they could do it, and not at all dismayed as they watched everyone else fail.

Make a Reverse Steering Bike
Old 08-25-23, 08:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
An excellent description of countersteering a bicycle. Bike Gremlin

At speed, I will always lean into a turn initiating with very subtle steering input. Countersteeting appears to be a skill worth learning to be more precise when speedily descending.

Old 08-25-23, 09:02 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
F=ma

Given that Motorcycles and bicycles are two wheeled, single-track vehicles, the relationship between the front and rear wheels (steering direction) and the deviation from vertical (lean) follows the same progression to initiate and hold a turn at a given, constant speed, on smooth dry pavement. If you break it down into a free-body diagram, there’s no difference; it’s two wheels, connected to a frame, pivoting at an angled head tube.
No magic difference, just stripped-down physics.

What does change, is the mass (m) a “typical” moto is 20-30 times heavier than a typical velo.

Given F=ma; to impart the same change in direction (a, as in acceleration) the force (F) that you, the rider, have to put into the controls (handlebars) is going to be much higher, due to the greatly increased mass of the system.

Also, too, where a moto may be 2~4 times the rider’s weight (mass) a velo is only 10%-15% of the rider’s weight; and requires proportionally less input force.

So, while the input force on a motorcycle handlebar may only be a couple pounds of pressure, it’s enough that you can feel it as a discrete effort, if you’re paying attention; on a bicycle, it is literally 1/100ths of what is called for on the moto, and so fleeting as to get lost in the background noise of riding a bike.

This completes my TED talk.

*post script: most motorcycles also have the grips in line with, or behind the steering axis (head tube) , which increases the tiller effect, and makes the “push away” input more pronounced than the forward-biased steering of a typical bicycle
Old 08-25-23, 09:02 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
F=ma

Given that Motorcycles and bicycles are two wheeled, single-track vehicles, the relationship between the front and rear wheels (steering direction) and the deviation from vertical (lean) follows the same progression to initiate and hold a turn at a given, constant speed, on smooth dry pavement. If you break it down into a free-body diagram, there’s no difference; it’s two wheels, connected to a frame, pivoting at an angled head tube.
No magic difference, just stripped-down physics.

What does change, is the mass (m) a “typical” moto is 20-30 times heavier than a typical velo.

Given F=ma; to impart the same change in direction (a, as in acceleration) the force (F) that you, the rider, have to put into the controls (handlebars) is going to be much higher, due to the greatly increased mass of the system.

Also, too, where a moto may be 2~4 times the rider’s weight (mass) a velo is only 10%-15% of the rider’s weight; and requires proportionally less input force.

So, while the input force on a motorcycle handlebar may only be a couple pounds of pressure, it’s enough that you can feel it as a discrete effort, if you’re paying attention; on a bicycle, it is literally 1/100ths of what is called for on the moto, and so fleeting as to get lost in the background noise of riding a bike.

This completes my TED talk.

*post script: most motorcycles also have the grips in line with, or behind the steering axis (head tube) , which increases the tiller effect, and makes the “push away” inputs more pronounced than the forward-biased steering of a typical bicycle
Old 08-25-23, 09:42 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I say every intentional change of direction on a bicycle or motorcycle starts with a counter-steer. Might be minute, you usually don't think about it, but it's there.
Old 08-25-23, 10:16 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I say every intentional change of direction on a bicycle or motorcycle starts with a counter-steer. Might be minute, you usually don't think about it, but it's there.
I agree. A bicycle is light enough that turns at higher speed can be performed by leaning alone. It just isn’t as precise. I wonder if the gyroscopic effect of the wheels fight the lean enough to matter.
A motorcycle can be leaned to turn but counter steering is much more effective on one.
Old 08-25-23, 11:43 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I’d vote for weight transfer as the way a bike steers. Handlebar inputs, body lean, braking are all tools a rider can use to control the steering.
Old 08-26-23, 02:31 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Slow anticipated turn: Head movement, steering to control

Quick reaction turn: Counter steer, steering to control.
Old 08-26-23, 02:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking at theoretical transfer functions of bike steering and stability. I think countersteering with your hands and weight positioning are two ways steering is initiated.

I can steer my bike with no hands on the handlebar by moving my Cg

What is instructive or fun is going from a very long wheelbase (55 inch) recumbent with a very low center of gravity and a very long trail to a short wheelbase upright with low trail.
Old 08-26-23, 03:22 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Make bike go one way you go the other.
Old 08-26-23, 10:00 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Science is not a majority is right kind of thing.
Old 08-26-23, 10:10 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Don’t forget the Chuck Norris method.
Chuck Norris doesn’t steer the bicycle. He moves the Earth out of his way!
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-26-23, 10:26 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
the chapter on bicycle steering from the book "Bicycling Science" by Frank Whitt and David Gordon Wilson is the best treatment of this subject that I have seen.

Well worth a read and puts the lie to a bunch of speculation.

the section on the "unrideable bicycles" with small wheels and impossible fork rakes is especially interesting.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-26-23, 11:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Don’t forget the Chuck Norris method.
Chuck Norris doesn’t steer the bicycle. He moves the Earth out of his way!
I’ve got chunks of guys like Chuck Norris in my stool. Just sayin’.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-23, 11:48 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve got chunks of guys like Chuck Norris in my stool. Just sayin’.
sounds unpleasant.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-26-23, 04:37 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
As a long time motorcyclist, I learned to make quick turns or “flicks,” you need to push between the inside bar and the opposite foot, that is, to make a right turn, push the right bar forward while pushing your left foot against the left foot peg, this will quickly drop the bide toward the right, and into the turn. You need to counter-steer to get into the turn, until you get into the right angle, then positive steering provides the countering force to keep the bike on its wheels. So, in my experience, you need to do a little of both.
Old 08-26-23, 04:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
sounds unpleasant.
I chew my food well, and I only eat the tender parts, like a grizzly does with salmon.
Old 08-26-23, 06:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
wheelreason in the former thread you said:
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Length of stem does not change the steering characteristics of a bike, but it certainly appears to, because it magnifies or diminishes the lever...
and it kind of blew my mind because, after avoiding going "too short" in stems for decades, I finally went down to an 80mm on my road bike (even tried a 70mm for a bit) because of some fit issues, and the steering does not feel even a bit different. For years people have been telling me that too short of stem makes a bike too twitchy, and I believed it and even regurgitated it on that thread. Got put in my place and am reconsidering my position. So, would you say that even if I put a zero length stem on my normal road bike, steering would feel exactly the same (since rake, angle, and trail would go unchanged)? Obviously I wouldn't want to for fit reasons, but it certainly dispels the notion that steering characteristics should be considered at all when choosing stem length.
Old 08-26-23, 06:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I chew my food well, and I only eat the tender parts, like a grizzly does with salmon.
so you spit out the clothes, teeth, and bones. well then that's different.
Old 08-26-23, 07:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Bicycles don't steer. Riders steer.
Old 08-26-23, 07:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Bicycles don't steer. Riders steer.
Cows don’t steer. Bulls steer.

Actually attempted some countersteering today on a long winding decent today. Have to admit the counter input was very conservative until I get the hang of it. Did it make a difference? Too early and maybe too conservative to tell but will keep at it.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-26-23 at 08:00 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-26-23, 10:35 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Go ride NO hands, the bike will SHOW you how to steer. LOL.
"Learning" counter steering is pure quackery IMO. ZERO people ever think about it, that's for sure. Whatever twitching happens, it's entirely the bike's doing.
I'm pretty sure what happens for me in turns at over 20 mph say, is I LEAN on the turn side grip and simultaneously LIFT the other grip, thereby the bike leans into the turn.
I also dumbly bought a Honda 400 =4 road bike in 1976. I doubt I rode more than 100 miles practice with my BIL, before I passed the test first try on HIS similar bike. LOL Mine was out of gas.
I drove it like my bicycle of course. I sure as hell did NOTHING but turn the bars the way I was going and maybe a little body lean. I only puttered 2,500 miles tho, with a few rides on the highway. I never did like it much, because my hands went numb.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-27-23 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-27-23, 03:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Go ride NO hands, the bike will SHOW you how to steer. LOL.
"Learning" counter steering is pure quackery IMO. ZERO people ever think about it, that's for sure. Whatever twitching happens, it's entirely the bike's doing.
I'm pretty sure what happens for me in turns at over 20 mph say, is I LEAN on the turn side grip and simultaneously LIFT the other grip, thereby the bike leans into the turn.
I also dumbly bought a Honda 400 =4 road bike in 1976. I doubt I rode more than 100 miles practice with my BIL, before I passed the test first try on HIS similar bike. LOL Mine was out of gas.
I drove it like my bicycle of course. I sure as hell did NOTHING but turn the bars the way I was going and maybe a little body lean. I only puttered 2,500 miles tho, with a few rides on the highway. I never did like it much, because my hands went numb.
Yep, I imagine you can't "learn" counter steering. You just naturally do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.