Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

People not saying hi

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

People not saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 07:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreggy
It's not just cycling, it's the world today imho. Growing up, people used to just pop into each others houses to say hi, we called it "company". Now if the doorbell rings it's like who the hell is that?
The world is just ugly, everybody hates everybody. Bring the positive vibes and wave away!
Theft is much more prevalent & more detected now compared to them ole days. The wool is no longer covering the eyes.
Old 07-05-21, 09:04 PM
kirbyx

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Good grief, a waving thread. Do a search, Larry. This has been beaten to death around here for years.
Big John: Then you don't have to read this thread: save your ire for something important.
Likes For kirbyx:
Old 07-06-21, 05:29 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I'm glad that works for you. As for me, I need external validation. My self-worth is determined by others acknowledging me. If I wave and someone doesn't wave back, it makes me feel invisible; as if I'm not worthy of being seen as an equal.
You forgot to mention the importance of sneering down your nose.
Old 07-06-21, 05:50 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Would you wave at someone riding a GMC Denali?
You mean a cyclist-shaped entity?
Old 07-06-21, 05:52 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by rjones28
The newest generation of Jeeps make discerning proper* Jeeps tricky.

* Two door Wrangler

You can tell a proper Jeep by the way it won't start if it's parked under a cell tower.
Old 07-06-21, 07:11 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I'm deeply concerned with my own cycling greetings. Is a gentle nod or pinky wave enough or do I need to go full stadium baseball game wave while standing on the pedals and bowing with arms extended? I just want to fit in with my cycling peeps and not be a social outcast with complete strangers.
Old 07-06-21, 07:19 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Has to be a proper Wrangler. Liberties and others don't count
I used to own a CJ-7, and I was told that a CJ driver should never wave at a Wrangler under any circumstances. A moot point now since 99% of all rust-belt CJs have long since returned to the ferrous oxides from which they were forged.

Nowadays there are so many Wranglers around that I wonder if the owners might get carpal tunnel syndrome if they were to wave at each of them.

I now have a brand-new Subaru WRX and according to the countless Subaru videos on Youtube, I'm supposed to be waving at them too. But I don't.... There are a ton of Subarus around but the vast majority of them are SUVs and crossovers, and to them I am invisible in my little sedan. They don't wave at me, and I'm pretty sure they don't wave at each other.
Old 07-06-21, 07:22 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Maybe it's you?
No. Im sure it's you.
Old 07-06-21, 07:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
Big John: Then you don't have to read this thread: save your ire for something important.
What? You mean waving isn't important?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-06-21, 08:12 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Sometimes I say "hi" if the other rider needs to adjust his/her saddle up/down.
Old 07-06-21, 08:17 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I used to own a CJ-7, and I was told that a CJ driver should never wave at a Wrangler under any circumstances. A moot point now since 99% of all rust-belt CJs have long since returned to the ferrous oxides from which they were forged.

Nowadays there are so many Wranglers around that I wonder if the owners might get carpal tunnel syndrome if they were to wave at each of them.

I now have a brand-new Subaru WRX and according to the countless Subaru videos on Youtube, I'm supposed to be waving at them too. But I don't.... There are a ton of Subarus around but the vast majority of them are SUVs and crossovers, and to them I am invisible in my little sedan. They don't wave at me, and I'm pretty sure they don't wave at each other.
As an ex WRX owner the waving requirement is only with other WRX's, not all Subaru's. I received many such waves when I had the car.
Old 07-06-21, 08:25 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by knobd
As an ex WRX owner the waving requirement is only with other WRX's, not all Subaru's. I received many such waves when I had the car.
What if a Legacy GT driver waves at you?
Old 07-06-21, 08:25 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Sometimes I say "hi" if the other rider needs to adjust his/her saddle up/down.
Once I told a kid to raise his seat, later I realized he was on a BMX bike and all his friends would make fun of him if he raised it
Old 07-06-21, 08:26 AM
Reflector Guy

As an ex WRX owner the waving requirement is only with other WRX's, not all Subaru's.
I am sure you're correct. The video titles are misleading... "Subaru Stereotypes", etc. They really mean to say WRX Stereotypes.

An even better example is the stereotype about vaping. I really doubt all those Outback and Forester and Crosstrek drivers are vaping. No way!
Old 07-06-21, 08:46 AM
knobd

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
What if a Legacy GT driver waves at you?
Ha, good question. Seeing the scoop on the hood, I would oblige.
Likes For knobd:
Old 07-06-21, 08:49 AM
knobd

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am sure you're correct. The video titles are misleading... "Subaru Stereotypes", etc. They really mean to say WRX Stereotypes.

An even better example is the stereotype about vaping. I really doubt all those Outback and Forester and Crosstrek drivers are vaping. No way!
For vaping, true. Crosstrek=maybe; Outback=maybe a few; Forester=Very unlikely
Old 07-06-21, 08:59 AM
Reflector Guy

For vaping, true. Crosstrek=maybe; Outback=maybe a few; Forester=Very unlikely
LOL Co-worker of mine had a Turbo Forester for awhile.... He didn't vape, but he chewed. He had a cup to spit in in the cupholder, but sometimes he'd miss and it was all over the center console! The neat-freak in me is still horrified.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-06-21, 09:00 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Proper Jeep and proper VW drivers wave to each other all the time.
I made so many random friends for 2 seconds when I bought a Subaru Impreza. I assume the turbo hood scoop made it proper.
Old 07-06-21, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Theft is much more prevalent & more detected now compared to them ole days. The wool is no longer covering the eyes.
It isn't, really. In fact it's dropped off hugely in the last 30 years.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 10:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12773 Post(s)
Liked 7,689 Times in 4,081 Posts
LOL Co-worker of mine had a Turbo Forester for awhile.... He didn't vape, but he chewed. He had a cup to spit in in the cupholder, but sometimes he'd miss and it was all over the center console! The neat-freak in me is still horrified.
I don't think you need to be a neat freak to be repulsed by that!
Old 07-06-21, 10:21 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12773 Post(s)
Liked 7,689 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yep. By raw data property crimes have been dropping since the early 90s, if considered as crimes per 100000 people, property crimes have been trending downward even longer than that.
Old 07-06-21, 10:27 AM
Troul 

I'll say that it changed in a worse way than before. Less likely to lose a life over a stick of gum back in the 50s, whereas now, a criminal will not think twice about the value of life.
Old 07-06-21, 10:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreggy
It's not just cycling, it's the world today imho. Growing up, people used to just pop into each others houses to say hi, we called it "company". Now if the doorbell rings it's like who the hell is that?
The world is just ugly, everybody hates everybody. Bring the positive vibes and wave away!
I suppose if I ever encountered anyone that was worthy of a wave or greeting, I'd do it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-06-21, 10:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I'll say that it changed in a worse way than before. Less likely to lose a life over a stick of gum back in the 50s, whereas now, a criminal will not think twice about the value of life.
Violent crime is down even more than property crime, so I think that's not really true, either. People consistently overestimate the crime rate, and think it's worse now than it was 30 years ago, when exactly the opposite is true. Even the rising murder rate last year didn't even come close to the murder rate back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Starting about 1960, there was a steady rise in the rate of all crimes, for 30 years, up to a peak in about 1993 or so. Nobody knew why, though of course EVERYBODY had an opinion. Then, still with no explanation, the rates for all crimes started falling, and fell for the next 30 years. You'd think people might celebrate that, but for some reason 1) people don't seem to know it, and 2) they won't believe you if you tell them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 10:45 AM
Troul 

Violent crime is down even more than property crime, so I think that's not really true, either. People consistently overestimate the crime rate, and think it's worse now than it was 30 years ago, when exactly the opposite is true. Even the rising murder rate last year didn't even come close to the murder rate back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Starting about 1960, there was a steady rise in the rate of all crimes, for 30 years, up to a peak in about 1993 or so. Nobody knew why, though of course EVERYBODY had an opinion. Then, still with no explanation, the rates for all crimes started falling, and fell for the next 30 years. You'd think people might celebrate that, but for some reason 1) people don't seem to know it, and 2) they won't believe you if you tell them.
There's reported & unreported crime. When I say the crime is worse now than before, I am not talking across the nation. My concern for crime is based on a few factors; where I spend most of my time, where I reside, where I work, where I ride, where I vacation, locations I may have interests in etc etc.

Just because someone that is a time zone away from me chooses not to lock there doors, doesn't mean I'll base my doors being locked on there perceived or statistical data. Out of habit & where I came from, I'll continue to secure my belongings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.