Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Replace rapid-fire shifters, or not?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 01:05 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I have a Diamondback Sorrento I want to sell. It's in nice shape, but the Shimano Altus shifters are cooked. I've replaced them with a pair of friction-type thumbshifters, which work just fine. My question is this: How much will the lack of indexed shifting hurt it in the eyes of a potential buyer? I don't know a lot about MTBs but I can see how a rider might not have time to trim a friction shifter. Should I look around for some indexed shifters for it before I sell?
Old 01-30-05, 01:07 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on the buyer. Most will see it as a downgrade. Retro guys will love it. I don't see it adding any value and potentially could reduce value as most people would want to upgrade it.
Old 01-30-05, 02:33 PM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I would not be happy with those older shifters, though I could tolerate them if the price was right.
Old 01-30-05, 05:59 PM
myenzo

Bikes: 2004 Giant Iguana 2005 Specialized Enduro SX Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Index shifters will probably attract a few more buyers. (I personally would not buy a bike without index shifting)
Old 01-30-05, 06:23 PM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously... pick up some $20 index shifters on ebay somewhere... It'll be worth it as some people just won't bother with it if it has friction shifters
Old 01-30-05, 10:23 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Okay -- I'm convinced. I checked eBay and found several sets of Shimano 7-speed shifters -- XT, STX, Acera V. Now, originally it came with the Altus integrated shifter/brake units, but there seems to be room to fit separate shifters. Will any of the Shimano 7-speed shifters be compatible with the Acera X derailleurs? Any I should stay away from? Too bad about the friction shifters; they shift like butter -- better than any of my old road bikes.

Here's a couple pics of the bike; anybody got an idea what year it is?

Old 10-14-23, 09:12 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
EDIT: Wrong thread

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 10-14-23 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-15-23, 09:25 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The Sorrento is not a high dollar bike, I'd leave it as index. The likely buyer is just someone that wants a bike to cruise around on.
Old 10-15-23, 01:34 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mswantak
Okay -- I'm convinced. I checked eBay and found several sets of Shimano 7-speed shifters -- XT, STX, Acera V. Now, originally it came with the Altus integrated shifter/brake units, but there seems to be room to fit separate shifters. Will any of the Shimano 7-speed shifters be compatible with the Acera X derailleurs? Any I should stay away from? Too bad about the friction shifters; they shift like butter -- better than any of my old road bikes.
The main ones to stay away from would be Acera X(any other Acera model is fine), Nexave, any shifter that visibly says Tourney on it, and most of the ones from the early 90's that have 2 thumb buttons. Any Shimano 7 or 8 speed shifter will be compatible. Can't see your pictures, but I'd assume your bike comes with cantilever brakes, if you buy a set with integrated brake levers, you need to make sure that the brake levers are compatible with them. Some integrated ones have levers that can switch between canti and v-brake.

That said, if the friction shifters are doing the job well, I'd just sell the bike for a tiny bit less instead of spending the money to swap shifters.
Old 10-15-23, 03:40 PM
Wireman134

Bikes: 81' Schwinn Sports Tour, 95' Mongoose Threashold MTB, 23' Schwinn Taff Comp build

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
18yr old thread. I've got some 96' Aultus 7 speed shifters off ebay. NOS take offs some bike shop had in the back storage for 20+ years no doubt.

Last edited by Wireman134; 11-30-23 at 07:48 AM.