Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your choice of light inner tube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your choice of light inner tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 08:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Ok.

TPU tubes are an option for a lighter tube. As others have stated in this thread, it is doubtful that the rotational weight difference will be experienced with a TPU tube compared a regular inner tube (in my case a Conti Tour). I figured considering that rotational weight is one of those weights which is important for energy savings, vs trimming a toothbrush handle or clipping ones fingernails before riding, I thought that the wheels would be the place of highest return to start with. I suppose switching from a Marathon Plus in the rear to a regular Marathon would be a marked improvement then. But, I'd rather not have a flat and considering most flats occur in the back the extra plus protection is welcomed. Put another way though, is 50 grams rotational less weight going to make a noticeable energy saving difference on a commuting ride which is 30km.
I’m not sure I follow the reasoning going on here, but going back to the OP, the question was simply which light tube to use in Marthon/Marathon+ combo.

The answer was simple, too: use TPU tubes. There is simply no downside to using TPU, and they give up nothing compared to any other tube type.

Now, if you’re considering running a Marathon in back rather than M+, sticking with TPU for the tire switch is the win/win. TPU offers better puncture protection than any other type of material, and offers the best puncture resistance when compared across similar tube types, meaning that a heavyweight butyl could resist a staple better than a lightweight TPU, but you lose the weight savings you’re after.

Whether any of this translates into energy savings, I don’t know. We don’t know the wheel size, tire size, or type of bike, but I know Marathons and they’re heavy as heck. Marathon Plus in 700x35 weigh a shocking 900g apiece…that’s 4lbs of rubber for a set! If I had to push that around, I’d look to cut weight anywhere I could, regardless of concerns about energy efficiency, or even more likely, I’d simply not worry about it, and just ride my battle tank.

But, if I could get my 34lbs tank down to 32lbs for little money and without sacrificing durability, I’d do it.
Old 08-23-23, 09:06 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
My friends and I have put about 2,000 miles collectively on Ridenow TPU tubes. Here are my observations:
  • I've only tried the 36g version and not the newer 24g version.
  • There are QC issues. Some are bad right out of the box and leak. I've had to toss 2 new tubes because they leaked within hours.
  • The ones that don't leak are great! I've had some on wheels for more than a year and they haven't leaked unexpectedly. They gradually lose air at about the same rate as butyl tubes.
  • I carry 3 spare Ridenow tubes and adhesive patches and they weights about the same as a single butyl tube and take up less space.
  • The Ridenow stick on patches didn't work for me, but worked for my friends. My 2 patched tube eventually leaked. I've tried re-patching and they leaked so I tossed the tubes.
  • I've gotten 2 flats over 1,000 miles. The tubes get a pinhole cut but do not burst suddenly. I gashed a new Conti GP5000 tire on road debris and the TPU tube had a small hole from the cut. There was no pop or sudden gush of air from the flat - the tire/tube hissed air out over a few seconds and I heard the hissing air.
  • Despite the QC issues I really like the tubes.
  • I paid under $7/tube buying in quantity but lately I've seen them for $5.xx if buying in quantity. This is for the 36g version.
I'm glad I gave the Ridenow tubes a try. I'm convinced they are better for me for my rides (brisk group rides with 100 riders, occasional climbs and long descents). Using lighter TPU tubes on my rim brake carbon wheels give me more confidence than my latex tubes on long descents. Supposedly, the TPU tubes handle heat better than latex. More of my friends are switching over to Ridenow tubes since they are under $6/tube now and they also carry 2-3 spare tubes.

The tubes are very popular in Asia and outstide of the US. There are numerous Youtube reviews for the Ridenow TPU tubes. Here's one review:
Old 08-23-23, 09:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I thought since running a Marathon / Marathon Plus combo it might be worthwhile using (lighter) thinner tubes with these tires, considering the tires' weight. They (tires) have certainly proved themselves to be tough and therefore wouldn't the use of a not so tough tube be suitable here? Probably the only drawback is air loss with the thinner rubber meaning more pressure top-ups more often.

Which begs the question; which thinner inner tube to go for. They can be either 700c or 26".
I do feel that it's the tire's job to resist punctures and the tube's job is merely to hold air, so thin/lightweight tubes strike me as the way to go. I've been really impressed with Schwalbe's "Extralight" and "XXLight" models -- they hold air a lot longer than I expected from how thin they are.

(TPU tubes sound even better, but I haven't given them a try yet.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-23-23 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-23-23, 09:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by momoman
  • I've gotten 2 flats over 1,000 miles. The tubes get a pinhole cut but do not burst suddenly. I gashed a new Conti GP5000 tire on road debris and the TPU tube had a small hole from the cut. There was no pop or sudden gush of air from the flat - the tire/tube hissed air out over a few seconds and I heard the hissing air.
This underscores one of the benefits-- a safety feature, even-- of TPU. Schwalbe have pointed out their particular TPU does not tear and blow out suddenly like latex and butyl are prone to do, so it's much less likely to have a catastrophic flat that could result in loss of control.

That's a extra measure of confidence, especially when descending, but it also means, as I have experienced, that a puncture doesn't necessarily mean the ride stops. I had it happen once that a slowly leaking puncture in an Aerothan allowed me to finish the ride home with occasional pump-ups along the way. I could only go a couple of blocks before needing to pump, but it was a lot better than walking, and TPU's superior dimensional stability meant the ride wasn't squirrely or sketchy as the pressure got really low.

I've had perfect results patching Aerothan with Lezyne self-adhesive patches, but I did prep the patch area with an alcohol wipe.
Old 08-23-23, 10:03 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The self adhesive stick-on patches do NOT work on these TPU tubes. I just had two of them start leaking the day after I put them on. One was an expensive Revloloop patch and the other was a RideNow cheap patch. Neither worked on this Revoloop TPU tube. Although I have to say that an earlier Revoloop patch did work fiine on another bike. It's not working reliably enough to give me any confidence.
Anyways, I am ordering some Ridenow glue-on patches to see how they fare.
Old 08-23-23, 10:46 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
…..
Anyways, I am ordering some Ridenow glue-on patches to see how they fare.
I used the Ridenow self-adhesive patches I got a year ago and they didn’t work for me and I used the included alcohol wipes and even tried my rubbing alcohol I had. My friends ordered their Ridenow tubes and patch kits much more recently than I did. Maybe their newer patches work better than what I got a year ago.
Old 08-23-23, 12:17 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
I used the Ridenow self-adhesive patches I got a year ago and they didn’t work for me and I used the included alcohol wipes and even tried my rubbing alcohol I had. My friends ordered their Ridenow tubes and patch kits much more recently than I did. Maybe their newer patches work better than what I got a year ago.
Right. The self adhesive stick-on kind doesn't work well. Just like with butyl tubes- the stick-on patches are very unreliable.
But RideNow also makes glue-on patch kits as well with a separate tube of glue. Hopefully that works as well as glue-on patches do on butyl tubes. I was just going to buy the RideNow glue-on patches when I found the Pirelli Smartube patch kit:

I bought this kit instead. $7.19 for 10 on Modernbike.
Old 08-23-23, 04:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Sounds like you guys should be using Aerothan TPU tubes and repair when needed with Lezyne self-adhesive patches and 91% isopropyl alcohol... If you really want to do it right sub in Gyeon Q2M Prep instead of 91% isopropyl. I had some at hand from ceramic coating my car; works a treat.
Old 09-30-23, 10:12 AM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Is the psi in the TPU tubes the same as butyl tubes?
Old 09-30-23, 10:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
There should be no difference in max. pressure rating, as it's the tire that limits the pressure.

But since a TPU tube is thinner (and therefore the air volume is greater), you may be able to use a slightly lower pressure with a TPU tube.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-30-23, 01:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
Yes. The tire pressure you use is virtually nothing to do with how air is retained in the tire-- i.e. type of tube material, tubular or tubeless-- and rather determined by tire size, rim internal width, surface conditions, and rider/bike system weight. Assuming all else is the same and you're just swapping butyl tubes for TPU, there is absolutely no need to change your preferred pressure.
Old 09-30-23, 10:16 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Threw some Marathons on the commuter. Dang those tires are heavy and stiff. TPU tubes aren't going to make them ride any better.

TPUs aren't more popular now because they came out around the time a lot of folks went to tubeless. If TPU tubes were available in the early 2010s that would have been a game changer.
Old 10-01-23, 05:48 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
I thought since running a Marathon / Marathon Plus combo it might be worthwhile using (lighter) thinner tubes with these tires, considering the tires' weight. They (tires) have certainly proved themselves to be tough and therefore wouldn't the use of a not so tough tube be suitable here? Probably the only drawback is air loss with the thinner rubber meaning more pressure top-ups more often.

Which begs the question; which thinner inner tube to go for. They can be either 700c or 26".
I'm not super experienced, but I've had good luck with the Schwalbe Extra Light line.
Old 10-02-23, 03:39 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
As an old fart at heart I still use tubular tires an many bikes as well as latex tubes when riding clincher tires MOSTLY (my tubs have latex as well). My tube of choice are the Challenge brand as they are seamless and I have had great success with them and when I have flatted the repair was perfect as long as a latex patch kit was used. With other brands of latex tubes I have had them leak at the seam of valve stem. The reason I say mostly is because on one bike I am experimenting with road tubeless in a rear tire with great results so far nearing 2000mi without incident. -I have don't have the fortitude to try in the front tire yet.