Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to position cadence sensor?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 11:29 PM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Hey guys. New to using cadence and speed sensors. Where is it best to position the cadence sensor? Can i position it anywhere on the crank arm, maybe 2 inches away from the pedal spindle? I just followed the instructions and vid and positioned it on the crank arm about an inch from the pedal spindle. I think though that it’s possible the rubber rings that hold the cadence sensor can get hit when i clip out at 3 and 6 o’clock positions.
Old 10-03-23, 01:20 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I really don't think it matters as long as it clears the frame.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-03-23, 01:53 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have my wahoo one attached to my shoe as I have multiple bikes and don't want to invest in multiple sensors as well of possibly scratching something by misaligning.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 10-03-23, 02:17 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I really don't think it matters as long as it clears the frame.
Great. I’ll put it in the middle then.
Old 10-03-23, 02:25 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I have my wahoo one attached to my shoe as I have multiple bikes and don't want to invest in multiple sensors as well of possibly scratching something by misaligning.
Where on the shoe do you place it? And can you also put the cadence sensor on a running shoe? I’d like to know my cadence when i run.
Old 10-03-23, 06:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
My big feet tend to rub logos off cranks, and I've also scrubbed the O-rings (lost one sensor, caught the next one). So I put them close to the crank axle, where they're slightly protected from my shoes.
Old 10-03-23, 07:42 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i have the same one and could never get it to work when mounted on my shoe. once i moved to the crank arm all was well.
Old 10-03-23, 08:02 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by pdlamb
My big feet tend to rub logos off cranks, and I've also scrubbed the O-rings (lost one sensor, caught the next one). So I put them close to the crank axle, where they're slightly protected from my shoes.
I’ll put mine around the middle of the crank arm, that should be safe from the shoe accidentally hitting it.
Old 10-03-23, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It may not be as big an issue as it once was. But I'd think the brand and model of cadence sensor might make a difference. So if you want to be certain, tell us what brand and model you have. The older sensors that used a magnet had to be positioned within a few mm of a mark on the sensor.

Actually you should just read the instructions, follow them and not have to make a post that gets you my possibly somewhat rude answer! <grin>
Old 10-03-23, 01:41 PM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by iamLefty
Where on the shoe do you place it? And can you also put the cadence sensor on a running shoe? I’d like to know my cadence when i run.
Originally Posted by spelger
i have the same one and could never get it to work when mounted on my shoe. once i moved to the crank arm all was well.
I attach it to the laces closest to the toes and have been using it this way for a few years now with road, MTB and my touring shoes. On the wahoo app it will work for running as well but have not had any luck using it for other apps.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 10-03-23 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 10-03-23, 09:14 PM
iamLefty

I attach it to the laces closest to the toes and have been using it this way for a few years now with road, MTB and my touring shoes. On the wahoo app it will work for running as well but have not had any luck using it for other apps.

I’ll try that next time i run. As for the sensor on the crank arm, i was able to try it while riding. It is ok after all where it is. I usually clip out at 12 and 3 o’clock position. I rarely clip out at the 6 o’clock position on the non-drive side.
Old 10-04-23, 02:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Interesting. I assumed that it needed to rotate. Clearly not, for your one, at least.
Old 10-04-23, 02:29 AM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Interesting. I assumed that it needed to rotate. Clearly not, for your one, at least.
I thought as well but it I am sure I saw it in the instructions when I bought it. After all it comes with a mount to attach it to the laces.
Old 10-04-23, 06:03 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts

That is where I have mine and it works like a champ. My shoes have the boa straps, but same concept.

Old 10-04-23, 07:35 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I thought as well but it I am sure I saw it in the instructions when I bought it. After all it comes with a mount to attach it to the laces.
it was there. i recall seeing it to. just could never get it to work properly. it would detect motion but the cadence was all over the place.
Old 10-04-23, 09:15 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Hey guys. New to using cadence and speed sensors. Where is it best to position the cadence sensor? Can i position it anywhere on the crank arm, maybe 2 inches away from the pedal spindle? I just followed the instructions and vid and positioned it on the crank arm about an inch from the pedal spindle. I think though that it’s possible the rubber rings that hold the cadence sensor can get hit when i clip out at 3 and 6 o’clock positions.
The farther out the crank arm the sensor is, the faster it is moving and therefore the less time it is "in the zone" for it to register. This used to be an issue both for cadence and speed sensors, but technology has improved and so it is rarely a concern. But if by chance you have problems with it registering, moving it closer to the crank axle might help.
Old 10-04-23, 09:29 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
The farther out the crank arm the sensor is, the faster it is moving and therefore the less time it is "in the zone" for it to register. This used to be an issue both for cadence and speed sensors, but technology has improved and so it is rarely a concern. But if by chance you have problems with it registering, moving it closer to the crank axle might help.
Thanks for this info. Will keep this in mind. I haven’t really tested the speed and cadence sensors out on a ride yet since it’s been raining here. Just around the street to see if they work.