Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 04:33 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Cheers, managed to get a good result I think - I like that mesh tray idea.
Now I just need to get rid of this bit of play I noticed in the rear wheel before I put said chain back on - these bikes are like painting the Forth road bridge.
Old 02-28-24, 03:09 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Well you now have a new addict to the “how clean can I get a chain?” game while I try to prep this properly.

This is a used chain after;
a normal citrus degreaser & rag clean
shake in isopropyl alcohol
20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner
2 more dunks and shimmies in fresh alcohol
Kind of finally getting there, wipe rag is coming out nearly clean now but thinking I might need to get some mineral spirits
This is why they recommend starting with new chains, unless the chain is pricey enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I just started waxing, and my used xc chain was an xx1 that I didn’t want to throw away. Luckily I kept that chain pretty clean anyways. It took several mineral spirit baths but eventually the stuff runs clear in the container. When the mineral spirits run clear, I follow with a few passes of denatured alcohol.

My old greasy road chain that I can replace for 30 bucks? I’m not spending the time on that one.

I wonder about taking it to a car wash and using a high pressure water spray?
Likes For McFlyRides:
Old 02-28-24, 04:19 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Yeah sometimes it's simply not worth the additional effort and expense (in turps / meth) to clean a very greasy old chain! I've done it once or twice on chains that weren't too bad and it still took a good while longer.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 02-28-24, 04:29 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by McFlyRides
This is why they recommend starting with new chains, unless the chain is pricey enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I just started waxing, and my used xc chain was an xx1 that I didn’t want to throw away. Luckily I kept that chain pretty clean anyways. It took several mineral spirit baths but eventually the stuff runs clear in the container. When the mineral spirits run clear, I follow with a few passes of denatured alcohol.

My old greasy road chain that I can replace for 30 bucks? I’m not spending the time on that one.

Ya this one wasn’t expensive but is only about 150km old (our roads are filth at the moment) and I’ve got a new one I plan to introduce to the process too.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-29-24, 07:33 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Something I heard lately on GCN got me thinking, do you re-use the quick links or new ones every wax? I re-use mine as long as they snap in properly. Once they feel a bit loose, they are gone. What say you?
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 02-29-24, 08:01 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Something I heard lately on GCN got me thinking, do you re-use the quick links or new ones every wax? I re-use mine as long as they snap in properly. Once they feel a bit loose, they are gone. What say you?
I have never lost one even though they are not rated for it but I like the tight snap I get closing Shimano, Sram, KNC links so only use them and toss if I feel loosening in that very tight snap. This means only reuse a few times before replacing.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 02-29-24, 08:23 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
The Wippermann Connex links are the go-to link if I have a choice in the matter. Tool free and reusable for the life of the chain.

I usually use Wippermann chains and those come with the good link already. But in the odd occasion I'm using some other brand, I'll use that brands link until a Wippermann Connex link shows up in the mail and it's convenient to put it in service.

IIRC Last time I ordered one Performance Bike had a 9 speed link for a single digit number of dollars. I think shipping cost more than the item.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-29-24, 08:59 AM
McFlyRides

SRAM and Shimano say use them once, so that’s what I do. The YBN chain that will be for race days has a link that can be reused a few times.
Old 02-29-24, 09:30 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I use a SRAM link for about 5-10 waxes then ditch it. 10 waxes is roughly 20 weeks between my two chains.
Old 02-29-24, 12:08 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
They are OK for several connections. I change them when they don't ''snap'' anymore. It's most likely labeled as non reusable for legal reasons.

I'm still waiting (and hoping) they will produce a reusable 12sp link. In the meanwhile, I buy knockoffs from Aliexpress. They're way cheaper.

The only one I know is the Wippermann Connex and it is very rare to find.
Old 02-29-24, 12:44 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts
I have been waxing 2 chains in rotation for a year and did about 4200 miles, so typically swap chains every 2-3 weeks and wax both at the same time and finally just replaced the SRAM quick link last week. That means I got somewhere between 20 and 25 uses out of a single quick link that is not "re-usable". SRAM 12 Speed chains.
Likes For BruceA78:
Old 02-29-24, 03:17 PM
tempocyclist

Originally Posted by base2
The Wippermann Connex links are the go-to link if I have a choice in the matter. Tool free and reusable for the life of the chain.
^ That. Not the cheapest option, but very handy!

I use the Wippermann Connex quick links on all my bikes. Reusable, plus no need for a quick link removal tool as it's easy to do by hand.
Old 02-29-24, 05:39 PM
McFlyRides

Originally Posted by tempocyclist

I use the Wippermann Connex quick links on all my bikes. Reusable, plus no need for a quick link removal tool as it's easy to do by hand.
I could use that on shimano and sram chains?
Old 03-01-24, 04:19 AM
choddo

I could use that on shimano and sram chains?
Yes
Old 03-01-24, 08:29 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by tempocyclist

I see that you're in Australia. It's hard to find them in North America.

Where did you buy it?
Old 03-01-24, 10:59 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator

Where did you buy it?
There are a gazzilion sellers of them on the bay. Pricing is all over the place.
Old 03-01-24, 12:27 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
They are OK for several connections. I change them when they don't ''snap'' anymore. It's most likely labeled as non reusable for legal reasons.
I've heard it's for legal reasons more than once. I think that if the link got loose enough that I could put it together or take it apart with hand force, then I'd replace it. However that hasn't happened yet, I use them for the lifetime of the chain which likely adds up to dozens of operations. I did have one that didn't engage straight when putting it together (I'm sure my error and the link was probably fine before) but that one I wasn't going to trust anymore so I tossed it.
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 03-01-24, 12:34 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Ryan_M
I've heard it's for legal reasons more than once. I think that if the link got loose enough that I could put it together or take it apart with hand force, then I'd replace it. However that hasn't happened yet, I use them for the lifetime of the chain which likely adds up to dozens of operations. I did have one that didn't engage straight when putting it together (I'm sure my error and the link was probably fine before) but that one I wasn't going to trust anymore so I tossed it.
Indeed. Shimano is simply backing its arse.
Old 03-01-24, 08:25 PM
tempocyclist

Where did you buy it?
Luckily there's an Australian supplier, but yes they can be a little tricky to find! Potentially you might need to go international if there's nothing in your locality, shipping shouldn't be too bad as they're small and light (plus a one-time purchase as they're reusable).
Old 03-02-24, 04:57 PM
McFlyRides

I had to google "mineral turps" since I'm in NA-- we call that stuff mineral spirits. I used a plastic jar and lid--pop chain in cover with spirits and shake, spin, stir, soak, etc. until the solution is dirty. Pour dirty solution into a container marked "used". Wipe chain and container with towels and repeat until the spirits come clear. For a used chain that could be quite a few. So they recommend starting with a new chain so you just are removing what they ship them with.

After the mineral spirits run clean, switch to denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) and do two baths. Not sure why. Maybe because the latter leaves the chain squeaky clean.

The recycling is done at our regular household hazardous waste site-- where we take our old paint and stuff they don't want in the landfill or down the drain.
Old 03-03-24, 04:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
alcohol bath is a waste of time and chemicals. and mineral spirits can be used over and over. my pints have lasted me 6 years since i've started. still cleans well. two baths, first is dirty, second is...not as dirty. in one, then the other, then in the wax. it really should be that simple.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-10-24, 05:31 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

You are wasting your time because you are all locked into the idea a chain must be 100.00% down to bare metal before it can be waxed. Its not true. Hot wax will dissolve and mix with the factory grease (that i likely itself a wax*) A new chain can be hot waxed straight from the package and a dirty one can be rinsed i one bath of turps. Its plenty good enough and repeated waxing will make any difference fade to noting.

The origin of these beliefs are obscure, and even the dude over at zero friction cycling mentions in passing, in a resent video, he couldn't prove a difference in wear between no cleaning a all vs expensive "top chain cleaners". Of course he stopped the test because he wanted to test if cleaners removed factory grease well, not if removing it made a difference in the first place ..

* Thats why some of it is so stubborn, just like wax and try watchin any number of videos showing fabrication of roller chains. Some show the lubrication process and suspiciously it looks just like hot immersion waxing.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-10-24 at 05:38 AM.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-10-24, 09:20 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You are wasting your time because you are all locked into the idea a chain must be 100.00% down to bare metal before it can be waxed. Its not true. Hot wax will dissolve and mix with the factory grease (that i likely itself a wax*) A new chain can be hot waxed straight from the package and a dirty one can be rinsed i one bath of turps. Its plenty good enough and repeated waxing will make any difference fade to noting.

The origin of these beliefs are obscure, and even the dude over at zero friction cycling mentions in passing, in a resent video, he couldn't prove a difference in wear between no cleaning a all vs expensive "top chain cleaners". Of course he stopped the test because he wanted to test if cleaners removed factory grease well, not if removing it made a difference in the first place ..

* Thats why some of it is so stubborn, just like wax and try watchin any number of videos showing fabrication of roller chains. Some show the lubrication process and suspiciously it looks just like hot immersion waxing.
Well, in that same line of logic, you can wash your car or body without rinsing it first too, but it's always best to rinse it first.
Old 03-10-24, 11:29 AM
McFlyRides

Originally Posted by Racing Dan

well, if nothing else, spit shining a chain gives my OCD an outlet. 😀
Old 03-10-24, 12:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
well, if nothing else, spit shining a chain gives my OCD an outlet. 😀
Hocking a loogie per roller?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.