Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cracked road bike rim

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cracked road bike rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 08:06 AM
ADAM31

Bikes: 2013 felt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cracked road bike rim

LBS says it is safe to ride…I am looking for advice on how safe is it. Rear wheel
So I knew something was wrong, I had heard a ticking noise from the area. The noise however was only there in the first 20-25 minutes then the rest of the ride was quiet. I decided to get the chain swapped out and gears adjusted but the noise continued and that’s when I discovered the cracks
DT Swiss R470 disc wheels bike is Specialized Tarmac

Last edited by ADAM31; 04-20-24 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-20-24, 08:14 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Get another LBS.
Old 04-20-24, 08:18 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Get another LBS.
Seconded.
Likes For Fissile:
Old 04-20-24, 08:30 AM
ADAM31

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
Seconded.
it’s not that easy where I live I would have to drive an hour to the another one. They are the only ones in the county unfortunately
Likes For ADAM31:
Old 04-20-24, 08:31 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

I probably should add that is a fatigue crack which is a stress riser concentrating the stresses on the rim at the end of the crack (the sharp edge) and can move quickly. You have exceeded the fatigue limit of the rim and concentrating the stresses on the rim with each wheel rotation.

Last edited by easyupbug; 04-20-24 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 04-20-24, 08:43 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
it’s not that easy where I live I would have to drive an hour to the another one. They are the only ones in the county unfortunately
There are other options. If the hub is worth saving you can rebuild the wheel yourself. When I was a kid I rode dirt bikes. This was back in the day when most rims were steel, and tacoed wheels were common. The only way I could afford to keep riding was by learning the alchemy of wheel building. Seriously, it's not that hard. I was doing it at 16 and I'm no genius...ask anyone who knows me for confirmation. Your other option is to order a new wheel or wheel set.
Likes For Fissile:
Old 04-20-24, 08:54 AM
ADAM31

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
There are other options. If the hub is worth saving you can rebuild the wheel yourself. When I was a kid I rode dirt bikes. This was back in the day when most rims were steel, and tacoed wheels were common. The only way I could afford to keep riding was by learning the alchemy of wheel building. Seriously, it's not that hard. I was doing it at 16 and I'm no genius...ask anyone who knows me for confirmation. Your other option is to order a new wheel or wheel set.
I think the wheel is under warranty but the LBS is not working to hard to replace it I took it in last week but have yet to hear anything
Old 04-20-24, 09:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 416 Posts
I have a rear wheel that got an identical crack a couple of years ago. Just on a single spoke hole of a double-walled rim. I sort of inadvertently discovered it while cleaning chain lube off the rim. And, as you might think the wheel wasn’t out of true. So, I immediately ordered a replacement wheel. It was about a week or more before the new wheel arrived. In the meantime, I rode the bike a couple more times. The wheel remained true, the crack never got bigger. So, I thought “I’ll keep riding it until it pulls through more, and the wheel gets out of true. That was 2+ years ago and I’m still riding on it. — Dan
Old 04-20-24, 10:30 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts
When my Fulcrum 5 developed these stress fractures on the spoke holes, I also received the pinging sounds.
If you listen closely, the pinging sounds like, "Replace me fool!" only in an incessant rhythm.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-20-24, 05:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4404 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,699 Posts
Yeah find a different mechanic, I am sorry that shop is not doing right by their customers. It is always quite sad when I hear stories like this granted we haven't yet heard the other side of why they thought a cracked rim is somehow safe when anyone could see it really isn't, While you could get lucky and it will hold and no issues you don't want to be around if it does fail on you while riding.

I would consider talking with the owner of the shop and asking them their opinion on the wheel and hopefully they will say no get a new one and then explain the situation of the previous person's view on the wheel and have them correct it. Nothing crazy or sorted just a hey just want to make you aware.

At my shop I will not tolerate unsafe stuff like this at all. Safety has to be of number 1 priority even as a business. Sending someone out on an unsafe bike just to make a buck is just wrong on so many levels. I would rather refuse a service and explain to a customer in a polite manner that hey this is what your bike needs to be safe or you need a new frame I am sorry we cannot work on this. I don't want people getting hurt out there. Also if I can fix someones brakes and it take 5 minutes I can write that off for a mechanic and just let the customer know what happened and that is was free maybe in the future when you get back on your feet pay it forward to someone else.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-24, 08:06 AM
ADAM31

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah find a different mechanic, I am sorry that shop is not doing right by their customers. It is always quite sad when I hear stories like this granted we haven't yet heard the other side of why they thought a cracked rim is somehow safe when anyone could see it really isn't, While you could get lucky and it will hold and no issues you don't want to be around if it does fail on you while riding.

I would consider talking with the owner of the shop and asking them their opinion on the wheel and hopefully they will say no get a new one and then explain the situation of the previous person's view on the wheel and have them correct it. Nothing crazy or sorted just a hey just want to make you aware.

At my shop I will not tolerate unsafe stuff like this at all. Safety has to be of number 1 priority even as a business. Sending someone out on an unsafe bike just to make a buck is just wrong on so many levels. I would rather refuse a service and explain to a customer in a polite manner that hey this is what your bike needs to be safe or you need a new frame I am sorry we cannot work on this. I don't want people getting hurt out there. Also if I can fix someones brakes and it take 5 minutes I can write that off for a mechanic and just let the customer know what happened and that is was free maybe in the future when you get back on your feet pay it forward to someone else.
it was the owner of the shop who said it was rideable. Getting new wheel next week
Likes For ADAM31:
Old 04-21-24, 08:41 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

it was the owner of the shop who said it was rideable. Getting new wheel next week
Yowch, I wish that guy was more well versed in bikes and safety. I am guessing if all is true and correct that they just don't care or have really bad fingers and eyes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-24, 08:45 AM
ADAM31

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yowch, I wish that guy was more well versed in bikes and safety. I am guessing if all is true and correct that they just don't care or have really bad fingers and eyes.
well here in the north west not many options
Likes For ADAM31:
Old 04-21-24, 08:50 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

well here in the north west not many options
No understood but that person needs to rethink things and get some more knowledge on what they are doing again assuming everything said was correct and true (and not calling you a liar but I do not know you and haven't seen the second side of the story).

It is sad when there are people in our industry that make reckless decisions on safety. Admittedly yes I can be overly cautious but I would rather be overly cautious then cavalier and see another person hurt. Having seen enough actual incidents and heard enough stories that I want to keep people safe.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-24, 10:35 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 408 Posts
Wow. Was it safe to ride, as in, “you’ll be ok for a few rides while we order you a rim”? Or safe, as in “nah, you’re fine, no warranty issue here”?
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-21-24, 04:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 297 Posts

LBS says it is safe to ride…I am looking for advice on how safe is it. Rear wheel
So I knew something was wrong, I had heard a ticking noise from the area. The noise however was only there in the first 20-25 minutes then the rest of the ride was quiet. I decided to get the chain swapped out and gears adjusted but the noise continued and that’s when I discovered the cracks
DT Swiss R470 disc wheels bike is Specialized Tarmac
Then the LBS will be happy to swap you a new rim for that one.
Old 04-21-24, 05:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 360 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Get another LBS.
You guys are way over the top on this. Yes, the rim is failing and I sure wouldn't go tearing down a mountain with that crack in my rim, but I have ridden many miles on rims with cracks like that and sometimes it takes several 100 miles before the spoke actually pulls through. You get plenty of warning before that as the wheel goes out of true.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-21-24, 05:35 PM
easyupbug 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
You guys are way over the top on this. Yes, the rim is failing and I sure wouldn't go tearing down a mountain with that crack in my rim, but I have ridden many miles on rims with cracks like that and sometimes it takes several 100 miles before the spoke actually pulls through. You get plenty of warning before that as the wheel goes out of true.
I am sure everything you say is true for some but I would not not want my daughters or anyone else who would not know what they have gotten in to taking their bike to that shop and being told "LBS says it is safe to ride".
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 04-21-24, 06:28 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
When asked to describe the ultimate end result of something like this, folks here can’t imagine the progression of events leading to failure. They can only envision smooth riding one minute, and hospitalization and death the next.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-21-24, 06:58 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
The wheel is compromised and the likelihood of repairing back to "good-as-new" is probably slim. Is it really worth a broken arm to save $200 bucks if it does fail? If it were mine, I'd by another wheel.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-21-24, 07:08 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 750 Posts
I think the wheel is under warranty but the LBS is not working to hard to replace it I took it in last week but have yet to hear anything
Did the shop set up your wheel? It looks like the spoke was not torqued properly. It looks like it was overtightened causing it to fail.
Old 04-21-24, 09:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 730 Posts
Did the owner give you any stipulations as to how to safely ride it? He isn't strictly wrong though from a customer service perspective he's also not right. Plenty of people ride home on a wheel with a busted spoke which this situation isn't dissimilar to if its just one spot that hasn't even broken yet. I've even had to ride home over 20 miles with 3 broken spokes which wasn't fun and required bending the wheel to make it fit through the stays. I've seen customers bring in bikes with zero clue they had a busted spoke and others deciding that the wheel didn't feel right and needed adjusting but they'd actually had 4 or 5 spokes snap.
However, it would be adding a stipulation like don't try to use it much, keep the speed down to normal pedaling speed even on the downhills and only till the wheel is replaced asap. Real customer service, and more honesty, would be saying the wheel shouldn't be ridden, it needs to be replaced, and if this is a warranty issue and you don't have another bike, loaning you a wheel till the new one comes in. If this was my bike, and my only one, I wouldn't hesitate to ride it on the local bike paths at a fitness pace, but I'd also already have a replacement coming.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-21-24, 09:45 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 347 Posts
From my post in thread "cracked spoke holes", their's was a disc hub:

Disc rims have less spoke problems due to growth in diameter due to brake heat (I've popped spokes on 20" aluminum rim brake rims on long descents where braking was required), however disc hubs do pull on spokes hard too. Not sure which is worse.

On my old road bike, no discs, flat land so light braking, smooth roads. But I would wear out a set of rims via a crack at a spoke hole in three years with about 5000-7000 miles per year, 2 sets. Then I bought a set of double socketed rims to spread the load between inner and outer walls, so reducing the stresses by more than half. Each 10% reduction in stress roughly doubles fatigue life, assuming certain fatigue curves. So 50% reduction is 2^5 = 32X increase in fatigue life. That was decades ago and I've yet to wear out those rims. I was commuting in winter and wanted to use a cheaper set of freewheel rims, then one crack at a spoke hole. I took a 30 caliber boat-tail hollow-point match bullet, so solid copper base; I measure the depth between the inner and outer rim walls, then add the width of the flange I want, and measure up from the base of the bullet, and cut the tip off there with a hacksaw, then hold the bullet with pliers and heat with torch to melt out the lead. I drill the base to fit the spoke nipple. I use a plumbing flaring tool to flare the open end about 45 degrees, at where my measurement tells me will be the transition to the inner wall. I place it in the rim hole, install the spoke and nipple and tighten until just contact with the rim, no tension. Holding the rim, I use a punch and hammer to flatten the flare down to flat on the inner rim all the way around. Then I tensioned the spoke up and trued the wheel. I rode that rim for thousands of miles and still have that wheel as backup wheels. Socketed rims are bombproof. Adding a socket, even when there are cracks at the nipple exit, still holds, because the flare has SO much more area than the original nipple seat. Sockets add rim weight, that's the only downside. What's my name?

(newly added here): You should replace the rim or wheel. If you want to keep using the rim, at least put under the nipple, the widest stainless steel washer that will fit inside the rim, to spread the load, that makes it nearly impossible to pull through, however if the nipple is at an inner "point" and the outer wall has a huge access hole, that may be impossible. A fix like I described above worked, but most don't have the ability to fabricate.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-21-24 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 10:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
From my post in thread "cracked spoke holes", their's was a disc hub:

Disc rims have less spoke problems due to growth in diameter due to brake heat (I've popped spokes on 20" aluminum rim brake rims on long descents where braking was required), however disc hubs do pull on spokes hard too. Not sure which is worse.

I never thought about aluminum rims expanding on rim braked downhills. Makes sense. Also never heard of spokes popping because of that expansion. It does bring to mind the advice of years ago of keeping spoke tensions well below allowable max for the rim and hub flanges. I've never been a fan of max tension spokes. This is another reason I'll stay off that band wagon. (My primary reason- very tightly laced wheels can go quite out of true with spoke breakage. I like the idea I can bring the bike to a stop still upright after one or more spokes are gone.)
Old 04-21-24, 10:56 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never thought about aluminum rims expanding on rim braked downhills. Makes sense. Also never heard of spokes popping because of that expansion. It does bring to mind the advice of years ago of keeping spoke tensions well below allowable max for the rim and hub flanges. I've never been a fan of max tension spokes. This is another reason I'll stay off that band wagon. (My primary reason- very tightly laced wheels can go quite out of true with spoke breakage. I like the idea I can bring the bike to a stop still upright after one or more spokes are gone.)
It's a confluence of bad: Aluminum has a high coefficient of thermal expansion, small diameter rim (20"), so less heat sink, and short spokes, so less elasticity. In my case, also add only using rear brake on that descent, because front rim sidewalls were more worn and I was trying to baby that. A particular small wheel bike company hypes their 20" wheels as "stronger"; Sort of. Stronger rim "hoop strength", so less likely to dent from impact. Short spokes are more rigid, but you don't want that, you want longer and more elastic, that is the driver for double-butted spokes, thinner diameter in the middle, away from bending loads on ends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.