Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jersey fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 08:53 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Jersey fit

I have read this before but I don’t remember how it goes. I am still overweight so sizing can bectricky.
If a jersey is advertised at “sport fit” is it neant for skinny Euro cyclists or is it a looser cut?
Old 03-23-24, 09:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
There is no set answer for this, every brand is different and even the claimed sizes can vary heavily. Sport is usually looser than race or club fits in my experience but even terms can vary from brand to brand.
Old 03-23-24, 09:13 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
There is no set answer for this, every brand is different and even the claimed sizes can vary heavily. Sport is usually looser than race or club fits in my experience but even terms can vary from brand to brand.
Thank you. I didn’t check rhe fit on a jersey I bought before ordering. I just wanted it for how ut looked.
Old 03-24-24, 01:47 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If I'm just guessing based on intuition, sport fit would be looser and race (or pro) fit would be tighter.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-24-24, 06:38 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If it is manufactured in Europe or the Far East, plan on sizing up at least one size and possibly two for jerseys.
Even when in good cycling shape, at 6'2" 200 lbs, XL with a club fit will be tight in the shoulders and chest for most brands.
I guess tight is better than any flapping.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-24-24 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-24-24, 11:42 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
As for sizing, I don't buy anything that doesn't have a size chart with chest measurements. That way I at least know it's an appropriate size. The "cut" of the jersey that you're referring to is a bit of a gamble. Hard to know how it will fit you. Certainly a "race" fit will be tight. And if you are overweight, then you're likely bigger in the middle than across your shoulders, and most anything may be a bit tight in the middle unless loose higher up. You obviously want one that looks loose in the middle on the models in any of the marketing photos.

I'm still heavy for a cyclist, but prefer a tight fit as I hate flapping fabric. If you are concerned about showing your rolls and "moobs", consider wearing a tighter base layer underneath. Some riders prefer sleeveless base layers, even in warm weather. And something tight can also help reduce the jiggling and be more comfortable.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 03-24-24, 01:17 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mtracer
As for sizing, I don't buy anything that doesn't have a size chart with chest measurements. That way I at least know it's an appropriate size. The "cut" of the jersey that you're referring to is a bit of a gamble. Hard to know how it will fit you. Certainly a "race" fit will be tight. And if you are overweight, then you're likely bigger in the middle than across your shoulders, and most anything may be a bit tight in the middle unless loose higher up. You obviously want one that looks loose in the middle on the models in any of the marketing photos.

I'm still heavy for a cyclist, but prefer a tight fit as I hate flapping fabric. If you are concerned about showing your rolls and "moobs", consider wearing a tighter base layer underneath. Some riders prefer sleeveless base layers, even in warm weather. And something tight can also help reduce the jiggling and be more comfortable.
I forgot to order a size larger for my latest jersey. I guess I need to work harder to get rid of my gut so it won’t look like a sausage casing.
Old 03-24-24, 02:02 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I forgot to order a size larger for my latest jersey. I guess I need to work harder to get rid of my gut so it won’t look like a sausage casing.
You aren't the only one on this forum trying to do that.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 03-24-24, 03:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Nominal size differences vs reality, are often a function of Euro brands offering 7 sizes of fit, and US-centric brands only offering 5-6.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-25-24, 10:25 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Yes, the names are very subjective. Companies use different terms to give the customer an idea (more confusion?) as what to expect. If they have sizing measurements that will help. If you can contact the company producing the product that will help too.
In the US I usually purchase and wear an XL. In Asia I wear either a 2XL and sometimes a 3XL. Still the same size when compared to my US XL.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 03-27-24, 09:39 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have read this before but I don’t remember how it goes. I am still overweight so sizing can bectricky.
If a jersey is advertised at “sport fit” is it neant for skinny Euro cyclists or is it a looser cut?
I just ordered club kit. Sport fit means for someone thin and fit. Club fit accommodates a belly, but will flap a bit in a wind.
I go for Club fit myself. If I ever get to where I need a sport fit, I'll reward myself with new kit.
Likes For Smaug1: