Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 05:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,863 Times in 3,009 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger

i think if the difference in number of teeth on the chain rings were not so great the FD shifting would feel much better.
So how do you propose solving this fundamental problem? Hub gearing is an elegant solution because it totally avoids the problem of chainring size differentials.

Whenever I've dropped a chain [ever], it's always been the result of a FD shift. Even pros drop their chain on occasion when front shifting. It was a real issue on mountain bikes and probably one of the 2 main drivers for them to move almost exclusively to 1x. The other being 11 and 12-speed super wide-range cassettes and less need for a high top speed. All my mountain bikes since 2014 have been 1x and there's certainly no going back there!

I still tolerate a 2x drivetrain on my road bikes, but don't consider it an ideal solution having to switch between two overlapping gear ranges. To be fair I've only had 2 or 3 chain drops in the last couple of years over many thousands of miles, but still it's annoying and nobody really enjoys the awkward step change between front rings. We accept it for what it is.
Old 05-31-22, 07:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So how do you propose solving this fundamental problem? Hub gearing is an elegant solution because it totally avoids the problem of chainring size differentials.

Whenever I've dropped a chain [ever], it's always been the result of a FD shift. Even pros drop their chain on occasion when front shifting. It was a real issue on mountain bikes and probably one of the 2 main drivers for them to move almost exclusively to 1x. The other being 11 and 12-speed super wide-range cassettes and less need for a high top speed. All my mountain bikes since 2014 have been 1x and there's certainly no going back there!

I still tolerate a 2x drivetrain on my road bikes, but don't consider it an ideal solution having to switch between two overlapping gear ranges. To be fair I've only had 2 or 3 chain drops in the last couple of years over many thousands of miles, but still it's annoying and nobody really enjoys the awkward step change between front rings. We accept it for what it is.
It's not awkward for me. It's 1 shift. I'd rather do that than shift the rear 4 times, especially if I'm going to have to go right back where I was when I top the rise.
Old 05-31-22, 08:58 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by seypat
It's not awkward for me. It's 1 shift. I'd rather do that than shift the rear 4 times, especially if I'm going to have to go right back where I was when I top the rise.
Often when you shift the front, you don't actually want to be shifting 4 gears at that point. It usually just means you've run out of range. That's why electronic drivetrains give you the option of compensating a front shift by shifting the rear mech at the same time to reduce the step change. Not that shifting 4 steps on the rear is any hardship with a modern drivetrain. Again you can program them to shift multiple gears with a long press. It's all pretty seamless, but you still notice the relatively clunky front shifts and there is always a small chance of dropping the chain.

If you really do prefer the idea of having less rear cogs and more front chainrings then I guess you are out of luck as the rest of the market is rapidly going the other way with virtually no chance of a U-turn at this point.
Old 05-31-22, 09:20 AM
seypat

Often when you shift the front, you don't actually want to be shifting 4 gears at that point. It usually just means you've run out of range. That's why electronic drivetrains give you the option of compensating a front shift by shifting the rear mech at the same time to reduce the step change. Not that shifting 4 steps on the rear is any hardship with a modern drivetrain. Again you can program them to shift multiple gears with a long press. It's all pretty seamless, but you still notice the relatively clunky front shifts and there is always a small chance of dropping the chain.

If you really do prefer the idea of having less rear cogs and more front chainrings then I guess you are out of luck as the rest of the market is rapidly going the other way with virtually no chance of a U-turn at this point.

Your'e talking to people like they're all newbie riders. You don't think when I only want to shift 1 or 2 gears I don't shift the rear? I encounter lots of terrain where it changes enough quickly that 1 or 2 shifts of the rear are not enough. Maybe in the days of 2 or 3 tooth differences between rear cogs. But with 1 tooth differences a couple of shifts in the back gets you 2 teeth, not 4 or 6. That's not much when the terrain changes drastically. 1 or 2 front shifts and maybe 1 back works better for me. Then I can do the same when the terrain goes back where it was in the next 1/4 mile. Otherwise, I'm constantly shifting the back 5-6 shifts or more back and forth. I also know that I'm out of luck, but that's life.

Last edited by seypat; 05-31-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 10:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
What does this mean, other than "Ha-Ha! You're SOL, forever! Nyah, Nyah, Nyah!"?
Old 05-31-22, 10:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
What does this mean, other than "Ha-Ha! You're SOL, forever! Nyah, Nyah, Nyah!"?
I think it means exactly what was written, i.e. the market is going in the other direction.
Old 05-31-22, 10:46 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think it means exactly what was written, i.e. the market is going in the other direction.
That's true. I like a lot of riders, have become semi hoarders. As long as 110/74 BCD chainrings are made, we can make it work. Same for 86 BCD. There are 130 cranks out there with holes drilled for an 86BCD 3rd ring. Or the 5 hole 86BCD cranks that can be most any combo of double/triple down to 26 or 28T.
Old 05-31-22, 11:11 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
The market is all over the place. We'll make do somehow.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/
Old 05-31-22, 12:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts

Please understand that 'the market' is referring to enthusiast bike shop level road bike brands in Western countries. 'The market' can refer to many things- MTB, utility, e-bike, upright transport style, etc etc. What you linked is not in the same market as what has been discussed in the thread.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-31-22, 12:21 PM
PeteHski

Your'e talking to people like they're all newbie riders. You don't think when I only want to shift 1 or 2 gears I don't shift the rear? I encounter lots of terrain where it changes enough quickly that 1 or 2 shifts of the rear are not enough. Maybe in the days of 2 or 3 tooth differences between rear cogs. But with 1 tooth differences a couple of shifts in the back gets you 2 teeth. Not 4 or 6. That's not much when the terrain changes drastically. 1 or 2 front shifts and maybe 1 back works better for me. Then I can do the same when the terrain goes back where it was in the next 1/4 mile. Otherwise, I'm constantly shifting the back 5-6 shifts or more back and forth. I also know that I'm out of luck, but that's life.
Do you actually own a modern drivetrain? Genuine question.

Some people complain about the gaps between rear cogs being too wide with a 2x drivetrain and yet you claim they are too narrow? It's almost like you don't even know what you are talking about.

This is what a modern 2x road drivetrain actually looks like:-

https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...N=MPH&DV=speed

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-31-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 12:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

I hope I have enough spare chainrings to last me the rest of my riding life. I also have spare 10-speed triple brifters. Cassettes don't seem to be running low. There was a bit of panic a few years ago over 39T 10-speed middle rings. I don't know where the market is on that right now, but it's a weak point. I did order that 24T ring I was talking about. I'll probably need it.

Ebikes are great transportation. I hope to never need one. I met a guy at the top of a pass last weekend who knows a 90 y.o. woman who still rides centuries. Centenarians are our fastest growing age group. He was probably in his early 30s. He mentioned how odd it seems that most of the endurance riders he knows are older folks. Seems to me we last a long time if we avoid injury. A section of the market might just come around to that idea. It doesn't seem like I'll live long enough to wear my bike out. It still rides like new. Epoxy/carbon laminate is amazing stuff. I've stripped off all that garish paint and ride it nude now. Looks quite modern except for the crankset.
Old 05-31-22, 12:29 PM
Guttooth71

Bikes: Vintage Valgan , Giant Revolt Advanced, Trek 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, humans have evolved. They have gotten so fast that grannie gears are not needed.
I'm Husky Fat and NEED a Granny gear!!
Old 05-31-22, 12:33 PM
PeteHski

This says more about your attitude than mine. I was just stating how it is.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-31-22, 12:45 PM
seypat

Some people complain about the gaps between rear cogs being too wide with a 2x drivetrain and yet you claim they are too narrow? It's almost like you don't even know what you are talking about.

I own lots of bikes. Have tried 2X everything from 2x5 to 2x10 and 3x5 to 3x10. With a 110/74 or an 86BCD and 2 lengths of the same BB spindle, I can try out any gear combo I want. Always come back to the 3X. No 10 speed now. It wasn't adding anything to the mix. With a 3rd ring on front I can run a standard RD unless I want a 30t in the back. 52/40-42/30 and a 12-28 7speed is a hard combo to beat. 2 steps to the 18, 3 to the 24 and a 28. 8 speed just usually added a single step in the small gears. Same for 9 and 10 unless you want more on the low end. I do have a 11-34 9 speed cassette that is handy. The best part is 5/6 and some 7s for the 120 hubs. 126mm will handle 5-7 and 130 8-10. I could ride 10+ bikes with only 3 sets of wheels if I desired.
Old 05-31-22, 12:58 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I own lots of bikes. Have tried 2X everything from 2x5 to 2x10 and 3x5 to 3x10. With a 110/74 or an 86BCD and 2 lengths of the same BB spindle, I can try out any gear combo I want. Always come back to the 3X. No 10 speed now. It wasn't adding anything to the mix. With a 3rd ring on front I can run a standard RD unless I want a 30t in the back. 52/40-42/30 and a 12-28 7speed is a hard combo to beat. 2 steps to the 18, 3 to the 24 and a 28. 8 speed just usually added a single step in the small gears. Same for 9 and 10 unless you want more on the low end. I do have a 11-34 9 speed cassette that is handy. The best part is 5/6 and some 7s for the 120 hubs. 126mm will handle 5-7 and 130 8-10. I could ride 10+ bikes with only 3 sets of wheels if I desired.
I wouldn't consider 10 speed cassette with mechanical shifters modern.

11 Speed electronic has been around almost a decade and 12 speed electronic is on its 4th season.

I have everything from 5 speed on a Campy equipped 1972 Masi GC to triples on touring bikes, Mtb, and a tandem as well as 8 speed Sti, 10 speed Sti, 11 speed SRAM mechanical, 11 speed etap and 12 speed etap. The last two would be modern in my opinion. Of course, there are 13 speed out there too but I have not ridden them.

If you have not ridden modern systems, how can you denigrate them?
Old 05-31-22, 01:00 PM
seypat

Now compare that to a 3X 8/9/10 with the same range and see which one you have to shift more to get to the 2 outer spaces on each end of your range. Or riding loops on 3 or 4 gears depending on the terrain without a lot of shifting. Make sure you include shifting the FD when you can. That's what's important to me. Single steps, not so much
Old 05-31-22, 01:02 PM
PeteHski

52/40-42/30 and a 12-28 7speed is a hard combo to beat.
How about this:-

https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...24,28&UF2=2095
Old 05-31-22, 01:04 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by GhostRider62

11 Speed electronic has been around almost a decade and 12 speed electronic is on its 4th season.

I have everything from 5 speed on a Campy equipped 1972 Masi GC to triples on touring bikes, Mtb, and a tandem as well as 8 speed Sti, 10 speed Sti, 11 speed SRAM mechanical, 11 speed etap and 12 speed etap. The last two would be modern in my opinion. Of course, there are 13 speed out there too but I have not ridden them.

If you have not ridden modern systems, how can you denigrate them?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thread title is 3X drivetrain on road bikes. That's what I'm talking about. Lots of riders out there on 10 speed systems. Probably more than 11+. Not vintage yet. If you haven't ridden 13, you're behind the times.

Last edited by seypat; 05-31-22 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 01:09 PM
seypat

Go ahead and put up 7, 8, 9 and 10. Still less shifts no matter which one you put up. Over an all day ride, that matters to me.

Last edited by seypat; 05-31-22 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 01:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts

i don't propose anything, there is nothing wrong with FD shifting as far as i am concerned. i was only suggesting that by reducing the number of teeth that shifting might feel better. moving the rings closer probably will too but both of those things come at a cost. can shifting be improved? probably, but probably at the cost of shifting at the back end or performance. until i rode a 2x i was quite happy with a 3x. i now have a 2x and i like it. has a trim feature i read about but didn't know exactly what it was until i tried it. what's not to love about 2x? what's not to love about 3x?

and dropping chains? sure, have had it happen before. usually due to poor adjustments but more often (for me) it has happened in conjunction with a bumpy road surface, still a pretty rare thing though.
Old 05-31-22, 01:12 PM
PeteHski

Now compare that to a 3X 8/9/10 with the same range and see which one you have to shift more to get to the 2 outer spaces on each end of your range. Or riding loops on 3 or 4 gears depending on the terrain without a lot of shifting. Make sure you include shifting the FD when you can. That's what's important to me. Single steps, not so much
Rear shifting is delightfully slick and fast on a modern drivetrain (especially electronic). What matters is minimising the number of front shifts, which are less desirable. Like you I've ridden everything from 2x5 upwards and the modern drivetrains are the nicest to use. 100 mile hilly loop last weekend 753 rear shifts and 65 front shifts.
Old 05-31-22, 01:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Rear derailleurs guide the chain via two pulleys that track the sprocket sizes, whereas front derailleurs just shove the chain to the side. Compared to the former, the latter is pretty crude.
The rear derailleur "shoves the chain to the side" too (just like front derailleurs).

Because the "derailing" of the
rear derailleur occurs on the non-tension side, it's a much gentler (less forceful) operation and allows delicate refinements like chain-slack take-up.

Rear derailleurs guide the chain via two pulleys that track the sprocket sizes, whereas front derailleurs just shove the chain to the side. Compared to the former, the latter is pretty crude.
Early rear derailleurs didn't have pulleys. They worked much like front derailleurs. The purpose of the pulleys to take up chain slack.

...via two pulleys that track the sprocket sizes,...
The "track the sprocket sizes" thing is due to the "slant-parallelogram" (the pulleys are "along for the ride").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derailleur

In 1964, Suntour invented the slant-parallelogram rear derailleur, which let the jockey pulley maintain a more constant distance from the different sized sprockets, resulting in easier shifting. Once the patents expired, other manufacturers adopted this design, at least for their better models,[10] and the "slant parallelogram" remains the current rear derailleur pattern.
The chain doesn't come in contact with anything other than the pulleys, so if they don't facilitate cog tracking, what does?
If you mean the derailleur movement on an angle, that it's the "slant parallelogram" (which came after pulleys).

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The use of pulleys does not in and of itself facilitate cog-tracking.
Err, I think now that I'm confused as to what you mean by "cog tracking." I had assumed that you were referring to the geometric path that the jockey wheel takes relative to the cassette, but now I'm not sure.
You introduced the term. What is your definition?
???

No, he just used "cog" instead of "sprocket" (the word you happened to use).

What's the difference between "tracking the sprocket sizes" and "cog tracking"?

He provided the definition (which, since you removed it from the reply, you didn't think was important but complained about it's absence),

In any case, the pulleys are not what is providing the "tracking the sprocket sizing".

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-31-22 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 01:18 PM
PeteHski

Go ahead and put up 7, 8, 9 and 10. Still less shifts no matter which one you put up. Over an all day ride, that matters to me.
So your idea of a great drivetrain is to have large gaps at the rear and make big jumps on the front to minimise the number of shifts. mmm.... ok
Old 05-31-22, 01:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

Haha, what?!?! 10sp isnt modern? Tiagra is on carbon road bikes that cost $2500-2600 from major brands. Its on $1800 alloy frames. There is hydraulic braking, thru axles, carbon frames...but 10sp isnt modern?
10sp is not cutting edge. 10sp is not leading tech. But 10sp is very much modern and current.

This is a classic time to use the Inigo Montoya meme. "You keep using that word..."

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=293288-184477 $2600
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ta...=293448-175300 $2500
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...-carbon-tiagra $2625
Old 05-31-22, 01:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,900 Times in 6,095 Posts

Interesting. I'm the opposite. I don't mind frequent shifting, though of course I mind it more on my C&V bikes with the DT shifters. My rides have a lot of gradient changes and I could no more ride them in 3 or 4 gears comfortably than I could fly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.