Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Screw on Presta pump

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Screw on Presta pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 11:50 AM
bkelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Screw on Presta pump

With three different pumps, all have had problems maintaining a seal. I get the adapter latched on, start pumping, and it starts leaking. It can be stopped with someone holding the adapter in place, but I am usually alone. Sometimes I get it to stop by routing the tube through the spokes in some manner. That is a problem.
Does anyone know of a pump that can connect to a presta valve with a screw on connection? Obviously it must have a gauge, preferably a large one, and be configured for 100 PSI.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-17-23, 11:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Floor pump, frame pump, mini-pump or other?

I recommend most any floor pump out there. If you are using a frame pump or mini-pump then get one of those adapters that let you put a hose and airchuck between it and the valve whether it's Presta, Schrader or other.

Welcome to BF.
Old 05-17-23, 12:01 PM
bkelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely floor pump. I should have stated that. Have you a name for such an adapter? I will need to search for it.
Old 05-17-23, 12:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
The same issue with three different pumps makes one wonder if the pump is the problem. Nevertheless, Lezyne makes good quality pumps with thread-on heads. Personally, I find them fiddly and prefer a pump with a press-on head and locking lever. I still use a Lezyne frame pump because it's handy.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-17-23, 12:05 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,081 Posts

I purchased a Hiro head for a Silca pump when the standard head would not remain on Aerothan valve stems - but never did use it

(and Silca might offer a thread on head - not sure ?)

instead of a manual pump I’ve been using a battery powered inflator (pictured above) and now only use a hand pump to inflate tubes before installing tube or tire

if you have battery powered tools - highly recommend a battery powered inflator ... and they are also great for inflating car tires
Old 05-17-23, 12:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
What pumps are you using? Newish or in need or re-builds and/or new gaskets? Good pumps used right work. On the road, I use the Zephal frame pumps, HPX and I still have a couple of the old HPs. Both with lever releases. Easy on and off, no leakage. My Specialize floor pump with gauge, same thing. I see no reason to use screw on anythings other than to modify the tire valves for either my pump or a gas station air (very rarely). I have the presta to schraeder adopter for that gas station and carry schraeder to presta with me on rides so I can assist someone on an MTB. But for everything else, I consider life to short to be screwing in valves adopters every time I want to add air.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-17-23, 12:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by bkelly
Definitely floor pump. I should have stated that. Have you a name for such an adapter? I will need to search for it.
If it's a floor pump it doesn't need an adapter hose and air chuck.

Or, at least I've never seen a floor pump that didn't have a hose and air chuck as part of it's standard working configuration.

If your floor pump didn't come with a hose and air chuck, then put a picture of this thing in the gallery so we can take a look at it. You won't be able to post the pic in this thread till you have 10 posts and a day. But if you tell us it's there we can find it.
Old 05-17-23, 12:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

There is a common misconception about using pumps for presta valves that when the air chuck is removed there will often be a brief blast of compressed air come out. That isn't from the tube/tire. Nor is it of any concern. That's just the trapped air in the hose between the air chuck and the valve in the pump body.

Perhaps it's just that air is leaking past the air chuck as it's still fastened. The presta valve will close itself with just the slightest drop in pressure on the supply side even if the air chuck is still on.
Old 05-17-23, 12:31 PM
bkelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The pump in use now is Crankbrothers. I don't see a model number, but it has a lever that is lifted to seal and pump. Unless the hose is positioned just right it leaks. My previous pump was Bontrager. Same problem.
The one I provided a link to has a video showing it screwing down on a presta or a schrader. Unless someone suggests different I will order that one.
Thank you for your time.
Old 05-17-23, 12:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Here you go:

Screw-on Presta Adapter

Although I prefer the Silca Hiro:

Silca Hiro
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-17-23, 12:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Most bicycle floor pumps have a air chuck that can do either presta or schrader valves. Some you have to unscrew and flip the thing you just unscrewed and others you just push a lever on the side to move the other fitting into position. Some give you that little cheapo screw on adapter that frequently gets lost after purchase. And they too are good options if you need one.

So still, make sure you are doing it right. Any of those pumps will have worked more than well enough for most any of us.

My floor pump is a Zefal floor pump I bought at Walmart circa 2009 for less than $10.00. And I have one twice it's age that still works, but I use it for Schrader since I lost that screw on adapter long before I ever had presta valves. And even older still I have one that belonged to my dad and is older than me that still works if I put some oil on the dry leather skirt of it's piston. But it only has a screw on chuck for Schrader valves, so it's been a while since regular use.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-17-23 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-17-23, 02:24 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
With three different pumps, all have had problems maintaining a seal. I get the adapter latched on, start pumping, and it starts leaking. It can be stopped with someone holding the adapter in place, but I am usually alone. Sometimes I get it to stop by routing the tube through the spokes in some manner. That is a problem.
Does anyone know of a pump that can connect to a presta valve with a screw on connection? Obviously it must have a gauge, preferably a large one, and be configured for 100 PSI.
Your issue seems somewhat unusual. There are lots of people successfully using all sorts of pumps on Presta valves. I've used many different pumps and haven't had a problem. People don't normally use a Presta-to-Schrader adapter.

I'm assuming you are using a Presta head (some heads have holes for Presta and Schrader; some pumps are Presta only; some pumps are Schrader only).

A Bontrager pump I used requires the lever on the head to go "over the top" (about 120') to make a seal. This is not common (for most pumps, the lever rotates about 90').

Do your Presta valves have threads (with a retaining nut) on the stem or are they smooth? The smooth type can have issues sealing. If you have this type, maybe a gentle twist with sandpaper might add enough friction.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-17-23 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-17-23, 04:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Lezyne
Old 05-17-23, 10:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 1,013 Posts
The pump in use now is Crankbrothers. I don't see a model number, but it has a lever that is lifted to seal and pump. Unless the hose is positioned just right it leaks. My previous pump was Bontrager. Same problem.
The one I provided a link to has a video showing it screwing down on a presta or a schrader. Unless someone suggests different I will order that one.
Thank you for your time.
Is this a two sided pump where you need to select Presta or Shrader? I have a Bontrager Pump and it just presses on and will work with either type of head, never had a issue with it. They usually have a adjustable head on them, is that loose, or not tightened all the way? maybe causing you not to get a good seal?

Old 05-17-23, 10:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
There are a lot of less expensive pumps out there that work "ok" but either have some annoying flaws or don't last (or both). I have been very happy with the Silca and Blackburn pumps I have owned. Every time I thought I would save money with another brand, I found myself shopping for a new pump in about a year.
Old 05-18-23, 04:25 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Presta valves are for elitists. Drill the rims out and use regular schrader valves, that is what I did with my Marin over two-decades ago, the best thing I ever did for the bike.
Old 05-18-23, 04:46 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by beng1
Presta valves are for elitists.
Only if you’re stuck in 1973 doing bike tours in rural America.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-18-23, 08:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Presta valves are for elitists. Drill the rims out and use regular schrader valves, that is what I did with my Marin over two-decades ago, the best thing I ever did for the bike.
Do not drill out rims!

Drilling a larger hole to fit a Schrader valve weakens the rim, making the valve hole a future failure site.

Presta valves were developed precisely because they required smaller diameter holes in the rim.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-18-23 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-18-23, 08:52 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Thousands and thousands of cyclists have no problems using Presta valves.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-18-23, 09:34 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Most bicycle floor pumps have a air chuck that can do either presta or schrader valves. Some you have to unscrew and flip the thing you just unscrewed
bkelly This is what I suspect is giving you your issue. Often it isn't obvious how the part that you remove and flip over in the head goes in for each type of valve.

Old 05-18-23, 09:40 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Thousands and thousands of cyclists have no problems using Presta valves.
Elitists. Every single one of 'em. Including me.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-18-23, 06:44 PM
bkelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a newbie I can only post 5 times in 24 hours so have been shut out till now.

The Crankbrothers pump has a dual connection, side by side with nothing that might unscrew, except the tubing to the pump. That is tight. This is the only pump I have right now.

I ordered the screw on presta adapter suggested by smd4. It arrived today and was tested. As soon at the pump head is clamped on it starts leaking. Specifically, when the clamping lever is pulled up it starts leaking. The little screw knob on the presta valve was backed off about halfway, same result. I cannot stop the leaking.

Evidently, when the lever is pulled up to clamp the head onto the presta valve, the mechanism in the head presses down on the top of the presta value that sticks up.

So now order the Lezyne pump and see what happens.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-18-23, 09:08 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
My mini-pump from Decathlon has a screw-on head. It works pretty darned well given how small it is.
Old 05-18-23, 10:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Big fan of presta here. But many have drilled rims for schraeder with no issues and it has been done for generations. As I at least suggested in my first post, I am a huge fan of quality pumps with good locking slip-on presta chucks. (Zephals on all my bikes and a Specialized floor pump. I don't know who made it.)

You can get screw-on adopters to go either way, presta to schraeder (P-S) (any bike shop) or schraeder to presta (S-P) (Cantitioe Road; they are mostly E-bike but they have some good items that aren't often found and their site and service is first class and fast.) S-Ps at Cantitoe Road are $9, Italian made and quality. Fun historical fact: We used to make clumsy versions of the S-P out of common items at any bike shop. Promoted by the then unknown Sheldon Brown who used to come to our shop late in the day to hang with our mechanic. We called those adopters "damsel in distress" valves. We all made and carried them in hopes of helping some attractive young lady and perhaps reaping a date. (1977. "pc" didn't exist yet.)
Old 05-18-23, 10:09 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,834 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Elitists. Every single one of 'em. Including me.
I happily use both Schresta and Prader, depending on the bike.

Now, I feel lost and alone, between two warring tribes, a member of each, yet not a member at all.

Fortunately, I'm used to this lonesome alienation...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.