Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you patch tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you patch tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 09:38 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
If I were to consider patching my tubes, I'd go with Cyccommute's recommendation.
Old 06-23-23, 11:44 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
1. Not relevant to my comment.
Hmmm.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
2. The total number of patches applied by all the other people also makes it statistically meaningful.
This thread has included a number of people who reported great success with non-Rema kits. It has also included a number who reported lesser success with non-Rema kits. I agree that the combined total might approach statistical significance and therefore might tell us something about the reliability of non-Rema kits.
Old 06-27-23, 06:50 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I invented my own tire-patch method. I just clean the puncture with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, then put a drop of super-glue on it, done. I have ridden tubes with more than a few punctures patched with this method and have never had a super-glue fix fail. Just another example of my brilliant independent thinking ability.
Likes For beng1:
Old 06-27-23, 08:26 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I invented my own tire-patch method. I just clean the puncture with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, then put a drop of super-glue on it, done. I have ridden tubes with more than a few punctures patched with this method and have never had a super-glue fix fail. Just another example of my brilliant independent thinking ability.
ok now I’m curious exactly how long you have been able to ride on each of these super glue repairs. I would have expected it to become brittle and crack over time, but I am aware that a good dollop of CA glue can stick to rubber quite well. It’s how RC car enthusiasts put tires on their rims.
Old 06-27-23, 08:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yes, I patch tubes. I just can't see tossing a tube in the trash because it has one tiny hole in it. But I don't like the stick on glueless patches, I like the ones where you buff the rubber, put the vulcanizing cement on, then apply the patch once it's dry. I've never had very good luck with the glueless ones. Maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling that the glueless patches don't work well at high pressure. I don't feel like they bond as well as the glued patches.

I'll patch a tube as many times as necessary, however if it develops a leak from an old patch coming loose, I'll toss the tube. Just did that this morning. It's very hard to repatch a tube like that and have confidence that it will seal up.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-27-23, 08:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Send me the tubes and I will patch them for a very minimal fee.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-29-23, 05:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The irony: I was cleaning out my bike shelves in the garage and came across an old Rema patch kit container (fluid was gone, but a couple of patches were left). Obviously I have experienced the Rema joy and didn't even notice any difference over the other brands I never cared to check when I bought whatever was on the shelf at the LBS. I'm sure there's still some difference in the formula, but functionally I did not notice anything different and did not have any failures from any of the tubes with any (or probably even a combination) of the patches. YMMV
Old 08-01-23, 07:22 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I patch my tubes but I typically will not patch them any more than two times. I've never had a problem but tubes are so cheap I would rather not chance it.

Likes For Cdubs:
Old 08-02-23, 05:51 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I don't mean just to get you home. I'm talking about patching a tube and then riding it as long as you can? If you do, what's your limit on patches? I've gotten pretty good at patching tubes. I generally will patch a tube twice before I won't trust it any more. On a couple of occasions I have gone to three patches but I reserve those tubes for emergencies, just to get me home.

It's just about a necessity where I ride. I am forever picking up small wire from blown steel belted radials. Like a freaking magnet. I probably get at least one puncture a month, minimum. Over 90% of my punctures are from those wires. I was talking to mom about a week ago and told her I need to buy stock in a tube manufacturer.

And please don't turn this into a tubeless debate.
I patch tubes and keep riding them. There really is no limit but I don't think I've ever gone past 10 or maybe a dozen on one tube.

Rema is my favorite. Park and Rustines are OK too. I'd probably only buy some other brand in an emergency.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-02-23 at 05:54 PM.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-02-23, 06:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I did not get a single flat last year and not a single one this year until a 600k ride recently when I had two. The problem was my sealant had dried out in 3 weeks? Due to heat? Or heavy miles? I threw the tire away although the dynaplug worked fine.
Damn, I thought I had it bad here in AZ, sometimes the sealant will dry up on me in 8 weeks, but never 3. I'm thinking about putting a humidifier in the bike room to see if I can get 6 months out of a sealant fill.
Old 08-02-23, 06:19 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I have a very large container of rubber cement if anyone needs it...let me know...
Old 08-02-23, 08:54 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdubs
I patch my tubes but I typically will not patch them any more than two times. I've never had a problem but tubes are so cheap I would rather not chance it.

Tubes are cheap. That's why I toss them after patching them to finish my ride.
Old 08-03-23, 06:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Tubes are cheap ... and cheaper if they last through a dozen flats and patches.

Wait until you get old and your income shrinks, rather than grows, every year. Suddenly five tubes at $5 each seems like an expense worth avoiding when 25 minutes can obviate it.

I am far from poor, but inflation generally only goes one way, and I don't want to be poor later.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-03-23, 07:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Tubes are cheap ... and cheaper if they last through a dozen flats and patches.

Wait until you get old and your income shrinks, rather than grows, every year. Suddenly five tubes at $5 each seems like an expense worth avoiding when 25 minutes can obviate it.
To be clear, your 25 minutes can patch 5 tubes. A dollar a minute? $60 per hour? That's good pay in my book. Or payback, if you're keeping the money in your pocket.

OK, before somebody whines about $3 in materials, $57 per hour is pretty good too.
Old 08-03-23, 08:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Tubes are cheap. That's why I toss them after patching them to finish my ride.
They aren’t that cheap. As an example, let’s go with REI’s price of $4.10 per tube. I have gone through multiple boxes of 100 Rema patches and tubes of vulcanizing fluid. A box of 100 patches costs around $20. A can of vulcanizing fluid (which will do about 200 patches) costs about $20. So for 100 flats, I’ve got about $34 in materials invested, including the tube. One hundred tubes is going to cost me $410. There’s a slight difference in time between replacing a tube and patching it but there is also a disposal cost of 100 tubes so it’s something of a wash.

I’m not hurting for money but I can’t see the point of wasting $376, either.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-03-23, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
patches are good, even after several years

Old 08-03-23, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
They aren’t that cheap. As an example, let’s go with REI’s price of $4.10 per tube. I have gone through multiple boxes of 100 Rema patches and tubes of vulcanizing fluid. A box of 100 patches costs around $20. A can of vulcanizing fluid (which will do about 200 patches) costs about $20. So for 100 flats, I’ve got about $34 in materials invested, including the tube. One hundred tubes is going to cost me $410. There’s a slight difference in time between replacing a tube and patching it but there is also a disposal cost of 100 tubes so it’s something of a wash.

Not to mention keeping them out of the landfill.

Old 08-03-23, 12:50 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by rsbob
Not to mention keeping them out of the landfill.
Yea, there’s that.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-03-23, 11:08 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts

That's kind of where I'm coming from. I guess it all depends on how much you ride and how often you get flats. Simply because of where I ride (what is available to me) I'm at a pretty high risk for a flat any time I take the bike out. Living in a smaller, rural community, we don't have dedicated MUPs so I often have to share the same road as vehicles and whatever flotsam ends up on the pavement.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-07-23, 01:34 PM
prj71

I value my time more than money. Which is another reason I use the Park Tool glue on patches or trying to save a tube that has been compromised.

Plus I rarely get a flat. Tubes are cheap enough for me (amazon or ebay) that I don't bother with glue patches.

Last edited by prj71; 08-07-23 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 02:27 PM
cyccommute 

I value my time more than money. Which is another reason I use the Park Tool glue on patches or trying to save a tube that has been compromised.

Plus I rarely get a flat. Tubes are cheap enough for me (amazon or ebay) that I don't bother with glue patches.
Repairing a flat doesn’t take much more time than changing the tube, especially if the tubes are repaired in batches. Knowing how to patch on the road is a good skill to have as well. Tubes aren’t “compromised” because they have one hole in them. Tubes are compromised because they have 30 holes in them. If the valve stem rips off, the tube is compromised but that can take a very long time, indeed.

There is also the waste issue as noted above. If I have one tube with 30 holes in it, that’s 30 tubes that haven’t gone to the landfill. If I have two tubes with 30 patches that’s 60 tubes that haven’t gone to the landfill. If I have 15 bikes in my garage with 30 holes in them that’s 900 tubes that haven’t gone to the landfill prematurely. That’s roughly 100 kg of tubes. That’s also $3600 that hasn’t flown from my wallet.

Old 08-07-23, 02:54 PM
prj71

Repairing a flat doesn’t take much more time than changing the tube, especially if the tubes are repaired in batches. Knowing how to patch on the road is a good skill to have as well. Tubes aren’t “compromised” because they have one hole in them. Tubes are compromised because they have 30 holes in them. If the valve stem rips off, the tube is compromised but that can take a very long time, indeed.

There is also the waste issue as noted above. If I have one tube with 30 holes in it, that’s 30 tubes that haven’t gone to the landfill. If I have two tubes with 30 patches that’s 60 tubes that haven’t gone to the landfill. If I have 15 bikes in my garage with 30 holes in them that’s 900 tubes that haven’t gone to the landfill prematurely. That’s roughly 100 kg of tubes. That’s also $3600 that hasn’t flown from my wallet.
I can replace a tube and be rolling in 10 minutes or less. With the Park Tool patch I can patch a tube and be rolling in 10 minutes or less. With a glue patch that process will take a bit longer.

If I'm on the road and I get a flat I put in a brand new back up tube right away. If my backup tube fails on the road then I will use the park tool patch to get me through the ride Once I get home, I will remove the patched tube and discard it along with discarding the original tube that failed and put in a new tube.

I understand that patching is cheaper and better for the environment than replacing the tube, but I rarely flat so your example is a little extreme. I have 7 bikes in my garage. Only the 2 road bikes in my garage have tubes. The rest of my bikes...mountain bikes and fat bikes are tubeless.

One of the road bikes I recently switched over to the Schwalbe Aerothan TPU tube (paid about $30) so we'll see how that goes. Previous to those tubes I only had 2 flats in 7 years.

Last edited by prj71; 08-07-23 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 04:54 PM
cyccommute 

I can replace a tube and be rolling in 10 minutes or less. With the Park Tool patch I can patch a tube and be rolling in 10 minutes or less. With a glue patch that process will take a bit longer.
I’m on the road in a similar time frame since I try not to patch on the side of the road. If I have to patch, add 5 minutes or less to the task.

If I'm on the road and I get a flat I put in a brand new back up tube right away. If my backup tube fails on the road then I will use the park tool patch to get me through the ride Once I get home, I will remove the patched tube and discard it along with discarding the original tube that failed and put in a new tube.
Well if time is an issue, I don’t have to remove the patched tube when I get home. I don’t have to remove it until I get another flat and, after patching at my leisure, I have another spare tube to use when I do get a flat.

​​​​​​​I understand that patching is cheaper and better for the environment than replacing the tube, but I rarely flat so your example is a little extreme. I have 7 bikes in my garage. Only the 2 road bikes in my garage have tubes. The rest of my bikes...mountain bikes and fat bikes are tubeless
I live in the land of pokey stuff and visit the land of even pokier stuff further south often. My example isn’t all that extreme for where I live (and within about an 1000 mile diameter) even for just road riding. I have my reasons why I don’t use tubeless on anything which I won’t really go into.

​​​​​​​One of the road bikes I recently switched over to the Schwalbe Aerothan TPU tube (paid about $30) so we'll see how that goes. Previous to those tubes I only had 2 flats in 7 years.
That’s a whole other kettle of fish. I’ve recently tried TPU tubes and I’m much less than impressed. The weight is great but they are extremely delicate and don’t repair. I had a tire that was old and had a couple of tiny pokey things in them. One was a small piece of glass that nicked the TPU tube. I found the glass, which had been in contact with the butyl tube and hadn’t punctured it, and replaced the tube with another TPU tube. I patched the TPU tube with the contact patches according to directions…cleaned tube with alcohol swabs, applied provided pressure adhesive patch and clamped it to make sure it stuck to the tube.

Meanwhile the newly installed tube flatted. I felt around on the inside of the tire and found a barely noticeable wire in the tire. I discarded the tire, got a new one, and installed the first patched tube. I patched the other tube.

Next morning, the tire was flat. I installed the other patched tube and took the first one with me to check it at the shop. It was leaking like a sieve around the patch. The patch was completely ineffective. Maybe I did something wrong, so I peeled off the patch, washed it throughly with alcohol, installed a new patch. Meanwhile, the other tube when flat in the 4 hours I was at the shop. I changed it…again…installed the other tube, patched it…again!… and headed home. Less than 3 miles on, the patch failed yet again. By my count that 2 flats from minor punctures that didn’t puncture the butyl tube and 5 flats from patch failures.

Perhaps there are better ways to fix the TPU tube but, at this point, I’m not impressed enough with their supposed puncture superiority to figure that out. They may be faster and they may roll easier but if they are flat all the time, they aren’t.

Again, not impressed.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-07-23, 05:03 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I never did though the last time I used a tube in a mountain bike was 2005/6. I did use tubes on the road bike till 2-3 years ago and I only got one flat but I simply replaced it. Patching it would be more sensible but I had crashed and was pretty far from home so just did what was quick.
Old 08-08-23, 07:48 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Well if time is an issue, I don’t have to remove the patched tube when I get home. I don’t have to remove it until I get another flat and, after patching at my leisure, I have another spare tube to use when I do get a flat.
right, why would anyone ever replace a patched tube that is already installed (unless the patch is already failing which implies a crappy patch or a crappy job).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.