Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What caused this kind of tube failure?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-23, 05:28 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts

I had a catastrophic tube failure this morning. Catastrophic particularly for me at least, as I went down pretty hard. Fortunately, I was just coming off a 4-way stop so I wasn't flying like I had been just minutes ago.

So the tire seems to have failed almost instantly but I don't recall hitting anything that might have damaged it and only minutes before I was clipping along at about a 20mph pace and nothing felt out of the ordinary. I got to a 4-way stop and there was auto traffic so I did stop and wait my turn. As there were cars waiting on me, I really mashed to get out of the intersection. And that's when I went down. It happened so fast I really didn't know what happened. My first thought was I hit a build up of gravel in the center and the front wheel just skid, because that's what it felt like. I looked and there was fine pea gravel in the intersection and I could see where the tire just pushed through it as I was going down.

But after I got clear of the intersection, I mounted the bike and that's when I felt the front tire was completely flat. I can't say it wasn't at least low before, but it certainly wasn't completely flat before that intersection.

Since I used my spare tube and CO2 charge earlier in the ride (talk about bad luck), I ended up walking the rest of the way. Fortunately, I was only a couple miles from the house when all this happened. Due to the previous puncture, I thought discretion was the better part of valor and cut my planned route short. Good thing too. If I had this failure on my originally planned route, I would have had to walk about 8 miles home.

When I got home, I pulled the tube out to see where the damage was and this is what I found.

There are about five splits like this right along this seam, ranging from about 1/8" to 1/2" in length, all within about a five inch length of the tube. This seam runs more on the inside of the rim so I don't think it was some kind of external insult. The tire is a near-new Gatorskin with no damage.

Is this just an age failure? I have several bikes that all run a 700x23c tire so between repairing punctures and swapping tubes/tires around, I have no idea how old this tube is. It is a Bontrager and I know I have never purchased a Bontrager tube before.
Old 07-04-23, 05:32 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Could it have been pinched between the tire & rim? That's the only thing I could think of.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-04-23, 05:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
check your rim on the inside & associated rim strip/tape. Might finding the sharp culprit. It doesn't look distressed, looking thru the monitor...
Old 07-04-23, 05:42 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Any chance you used a tire lever to remount the tire and got careless? I've done it in the past and the holes look very similar.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-04-23, 05:58 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Could it have been pinched between the tire & rim? That's the only thing I could think of.
Originally Posted by spelger
Any chance you used a tire lever to remount the tire and got careless? I've done it in the past and the holes look very similar.
I thought about that but this tire has been on this rim for probably at least 50 miles, if not 100. Not saying it couldn't happen but odd that it would last that long and only fail now. And any time I mount a tube/tire, before I air it up I always rock the tire back and forth on the rim just in case I get the tube pinched in there.

Still, not saying that's not what happened. Just seems so odd to me.
Old 07-04-23, 09:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I had a catastrophic tube failure this morning. Catastrophic particularly for me at least, as I went down pretty hard. Fortunately, I was just coming off a 4-way stop so I wasn't flying like I had been just minutes ago.

So the tire seems to have failed almost instantly but I don't recall hitting anything that might have damaged it and only minutes before I was clipping along at about a 20mph pace and nothing felt out of the ordinary. I got to a 4-way stop and there was auto traffic so I did stop and wait my turn. As there were cars waiting on me, I really mashed to get out of the intersection. And that's when I went down. It happened so fast I really didn't know what happened. My first thought was I hit a build up of gravel in the center and the front wheel just skid, because that's what it felt like. I looked and there was fine pea gravel in the intersection and I could see where the tire just pushed through it as I was going down.

But after I got clear of the intersection, I mounted the bike and that's when I felt the front tire was completely flat. I can't say it wasn't at least low before, but it certainly wasn't completely flat before that intersection.

Since I used my spare tube and CO2 charge earlier in the ride (talk about bad luck), I ended up walking the rest of the way. Fortunately, I was only a couple miles from the house when all this happened. Due to the previous puncture, I thought discretion was the better part of valor and cut my planned route short. Good thing too. If I had this failure on my originally planned route, I would have had to walk about 8 miles home.

When I got home, I pulled the tube out to see where the damage was and this is what I found.

There are about five splits like this right along this seam, ranging from about 1/8" to 1/2" in length, all within about a five inch length of the tube. This seam runs more on the inside of the rim so I don't think it was some kind of external insult. The tire is a near-new Gatorskin with no damage.

Is this just an age failure? I have several bikes that all run a 700x23c tire so between repairing punctures and swapping tubes/tires around, I have no idea how old this tube is. It is a Bontrager and I know I have never purchased a Bontrager tube before.
Boy, am I sounding like a broken record. TL;DR version: It’s the overall quality of tubes today. They aren’t as stretchy as they used to be and need to be much closer to the nominal size or even larger than nominal size of the tire than they used to be. A 23mm tube may not be stretchy enough for a 28mm (or larger) tire. I’ve experienced a large number of these kinds of flats up to and including a blow out without the tire coming off the rim when I made a quick maneuver at speed. The tube tore on the rim side and deflated instantaneously.

Oh! And get a pump!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-04-23, 10:37 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Boy, am I sounding like a broken record. TL;DR version: It’s the overall quality of tubes today. They aren’t as stretchy as they used to be and need to be much closer to the nominal size or even larger than nominal size of the tire than they used to be. A 23mm tube may not be stretchy enough for a 28mm (or larger) tire. I’ve experienced a large number of these kinds of flats up to and including a blow out without the tire coming off the rim when I made a quick maneuver at speed. The tube tore on the rim side and deflated instantaneously.

Oh! And get a pump!
Actually, this is the one bike I don't have a pump on. I do on my other two. But this tube is the correct size for this tire. Both are 23c, tube and tire, so that's not it. The more I think about it, the more I have to believe I must have pinched the tube the last time I mounted the tire and just not realized it. Surprised that it went that long without failing though. What's even more scary is that only about 30 minutes before this failure, I was descending a long hill and my Velo showed a max speed of 36.2mph. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had this blowout at that speed.
Old 07-04-23, 11:04 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Possible when you installed the tire, that the rim tape shifted just enough to expose a few spoke holes? If the punctures are evenly spaced and in alignment with the spoke holes, that would be a telling sign.
Old 07-04-23, 11:21 PM
VegasJen

I'll take a look at that. I didn't really give that any consideration. At least to my eyes, these don't really look like punctures so much as cracks or splits, but the rest of the tube doesn't show any brittleness.
Old 07-04-23, 11:40 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I’m thinking it’s age-related. How old is the tube and how and where was it stored? I had a tube fail in a similar location after spending too long in my seat bag. It split when I tried to inflate it.
Old 07-05-23, 04:56 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Some of tha damage to the tube could have occurred as the OP slid down in the hard startup. Let's say the tire went flat or was extremely low, the OP mashed on the pedals causing the low tire to roll/.deflate completely, and as the wheel slid in the gravel, it caused the rim for about 5 inches to pinch the tube. Deflated tires take strange shapes and move around on the rim cross section.
Old 07-05-23, 05:07 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Don't overthink it. If the tube seemed suspect, install a tube that isn't & ride it.
Chasing a ghost might hinder more than just replacing the obvious.
Old 07-05-23, 05:58 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Check the rim strip - if it’s the plastic type that gets brittle and sharp with age, replace it, preferably with cloth or tubeless tape.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 07-05-23, 07:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
VegasJen, I'll be the odd one out. I don't know what caused that tube to split.

It sounds like you're doing reasonable things to avoid pinching the tube. But once a tube starts to blow, weird things can happen, as Peruano noted. While I won't say it can't happen, I've used tubes for a dozen years (patching as necessary), so I doubt the "old tube" idea. And there's no better match for a 23c tire than a 23c tube.

So what do you do now? If you've got plastic rim tape, replace it with the good stuff (Velox). Stuff a patch kit, a replacement and a spare CO2 cartridge in your pocket or seat bag.

And you know those folks on the tube patching thread who say they don't patch because they can get bulk tubes from cheap suppliers from the far east? Don't buy your new tubes from wherever they get theirs!
Old 07-05-23, 08:15 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Actually, this is the one bike I don't have a pump on. I do on my other two. But this tube is the correct size for this tire. Both are 23c, tube and tire, so that's not it. The more I think about it, the more I have to believe I must have pinched the tube the last time I mounted the tire and just not realized it. Surprised that it went that long without failing though. What's even more scary is that only about 30 minutes before this failure, I was descending a long hill and my Velo showed a max speed of 36.2mph. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had this blowout at that speed.
Even with the proper sized tube, it could still be related to the way the tube expands into the rim channel. If the failure were related to something embedded in the rim strip, it would have punctured far earlier. If it were due to sharp edges on rim strips, the same would have occurred. If you pinched it during an install, the tube wouldn’t hold air, especially given the size of the slice in your tube. I’ve had many of these and have gone through all of these steps. I’ve had many that have occurred after many, many miles on the bike. The size of the puncture…in your case slices…isn’t something that would occur in all of the above cases.

23mm tubes are usually light weight and rather small. You are also putting a lot of stress on the tube itself during cornering. If the tube is thinned…and it is…it is more prone to tearing. Try a slightly larger tube…say a 25/28mm so that you have more rubber on the rim side.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-05-23, 09:30 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
How tight is the tire? It could have pinched during install and was ready to go. I'm also not a fan of vinyl liners.
Old 07-05-23, 10:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Don't overthink it. If the tube seemed suspect, install a tube that isn't & ride it..
Yep, sometimes things just break.
Old 07-05-23, 11:05 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, sometimes things just break.
This is true. However, if we can determine that the failure was caused by something we did during installation, or by something causing a problem, we can learn how to avoid that issue going forward. IMO, figuring it out is time well spent.
Old 07-05-23, 11:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
This is true. However, if we can determine that the failure was caused by something we did during installation, or by something causing a problem, we can learn how to avoid that issue going forward. IMO, figuring it out is time well spent.
Sure, if the problem happens more than once. But for a one-time failure, just replace it and move on.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-05-23, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sure, if the problem happens more than once. But for a one-time failure, just replace it and move on.
Understanding the cause may significantly reduce the chance of it happening again. A puncture from something we rolled over isn't very controllable. A sharp edge of a rim strip is likely to lead to another failure, and possibly at a time that is even more dangerous than the first. I'm not going to spend much time on the side of the road trying to figure it out, but back at home, I'll take a much deeper look. This is just my way of doing things. I'm not telling anyone else how they have to do it.
Old 07-05-23, 11:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Try not to imagine it! It'll spook you on your next descent. I was once doing one of the more technical local descents, and had just gone from a straight, high speed section all in bright sunlight and entered a twistier section with dappled sunlight and didn't see a really sharp-edged pothole...

*WHAM!!!*

I got through the turn right after that, thinking "Wow, I'm lucky the tire didn't blow!" and then...*FFffFFffFFfffffffff*. That was on a straight section and I managed to stop before the next turn. Spooked me for some time on descents!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-05-23, 12:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by genejockey
Try not to imagine it! It'll spook you on your next descent. I was once doing one of the more technical local descents, and had just gone from a straight, high speed section all in bright sunlight and entered a twistier section with dappled sunlight and didn't see a really sharp-edged pothole...

*WHAM!!!*

I got through the turn right after that, thinking "Wow, I'm lucky the tire didn't blow!" and then...*FFffFFffFFfffffffff*. That was on a straight section and I managed to stop before the next turn. Spooked me for some time on descents!
I'm still missing a couple patches of freckles on my right shoulder from a crash on a mountain road where I had a front tire go flat quickly. That was 18 years ago.
Old 07-05-23, 01:09 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts

You are correct to try to identify the cause of this failure. There have been a lot of reports of seam failures with that Mfg.

I've had Schwalbe tube seams bad out of the box.

The only tubes I use are Conti butyl and Vittoria Latex.

A crash at 20mph isn't necessarily trivial, you are lucky. I've gone down at 40+ a few times with no injury and I've gone down at 20 mph with 11 bones broke requireing two surgeries and a big medical bill.
Old 07-05-23, 02:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My WAG is that you had a puncture which you didn't feel, it went the rest of the way down while you were stopped, thus the tube damage is from rolling on the flat tire. If this were a tube failure, you would have heard a loud BAM. Now you might have something in the tube ready to give you another flat because you can't pump the tube up to see where the puncture was.
Old 07-05-23, 04:03 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You are correct to try to identify the cause of this failure. There have been a lot of reports of seam failures with that Mfg.

I've had Schwalbe tube seams bad out of the box.

The only tubes I use are Conti butyl and Vittoria Latex.

A crash at 20mph isn't necessarily trivial, you are lucky. I've gone down at 40+ a few times with no injury and I've gone down at 20 mph with 11 bones broke requireing two surgeries and a big medical bill.
Those are not “seams”. A seam implies a join of some kind. The lines on the tube are mold flashings used to channel the rubber during the forming process. The only “seam” on a tube is the joint where the two open ends of the tube are glued together to make it into a round torus. If you split a tube down the middle, you will find this joint near the valve stem. The horizontal lines in the picture below are the flashings while the vertical line is the only real “seam” in the tire. Seldom does this seam fail.

The flashing lines could be causing friction against the rim strip which leads to tearing of the tube as the tube flexes from side to side in the rim channel but the flashing isn’t a “seam”.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.