Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why can't we lease bicycles ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why can't we lease bicycles ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 07:16 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
In a large portion of this country biking is not a year round thing
This, exactly. I'd feel all kinds of wrong writing those checks for the December-through-March months. I'd rather bite the bullet and buy the bike outright.
Old 07-07-22, 07:33 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I didn't say it was big, although it's also a thing in Europe and Australia.
You didn't say it was big. You didn't say it wasn't.

Knowing it's not big is useful information.

I'd guess the OP is in the US.

Often, companies lease a fleet for their employees.
Leasing for companies is another thing (it's an accounting trick). So, that doesn't seem relevant to the OP's question.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-07-22 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 07:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
In Europe bike leasing is available and somewhat popular. Swapfiets is one such company, available in several countries.

https://swapfiets.co.uk/?_ga=2.10557...056.1657148933

That isn't really leasing a single bike, it's subscribing to a bike share service. Completely different model.
Similar arrangements have been tried with cars in the US, but they really don't seem to have done well,
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-22, 07:51 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Lease = fleece?

People who give good financial advice often refer to a lease as a fleece. Car dealers love the idea as it allows them to "sell" a more expensive and profitable car or truck the buyer would never consider buying outright based on the monthly payments they could realistically afford. The dealer usually collects a pretty substantial upfront payment as well. At end of the lease you have no equity in the vehicle to apply as a down-payment for a new vehicle. If you go over the mileage limits you can get a big bill just to turn in the vehicle.

I had a neighbor who used to lease vehicles and turn them in after a few years. She always drove a newer vehicle than I did. The last time I remember her getting a new car she had to roll over a pretty hefty balance into the new lease just to get out of the old one. It's a vicious cycle where you end up paying more for the vehicle and never have any equity in what you are paying for.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-07-22, 07:55 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
That isn't really leasing a single bike, it's subscribing to a bike share service. Completely different model.
Similar arrangements have been tried with cars in the US, but they really don't seem to have done well,
The bike you get from "swapfeits" isn't shared with anybody.

Anyway, it kind of depends what people mean by "lease". It's basically a synonym for "rent". You can certainly rent bicycles in the US but the cost of that doesn't make sense for anything long term.

I'm assuming the OP is talking about private (not business) "car leases" applied to bicycles.
Old 07-07-22, 08:27 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Their business model may not exactly fit your definition of leasing, but it definitely isn't "bike sharing". Swapfiets have a few options renting a bike. Either short term or 6 months minimum, leasing like terms. Where I live I see them every day. I even considered getting one myself, an e-bike, to try it out.
Old 07-07-22, 09:33 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You didn't say it was big. You didn't say it wasn't.
Knowing it's not big is useful information.
I'd guess the OP is in the US.
Leasing for companies is another thing (it's an accounting trick). So, that doesn't seem relevant to the OP's question.

The mighty gatekeeper has spoken.
Old 07-07-22, 09:42 AM
njkayaker

No, your comment was pretty useless, That's on you.

Oh, you also have no idea what "gatekeeping" means.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-07-22 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 09:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
People who give good financial advice often refer to a lease as a fleece.
A good financial advisor will tell you that leasing can be a useful tool, like mortgages, loans, lines of credit, etc.
Old 07-07-22, 09:47 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, your comment was pretty useless, That's on you.
He asked why it wasn't a thing. I showed him that it was. I don't GAF if you approve.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-07-22, 09:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Leasing is somewhat more common in Europe. Leasing a high end bike or especially a velomobile has tax benefits and isn't so uncommon there. Here is one example...... I forget the others from a german forum that I frequent.

https://www.jobrad.org/
Old 07-07-22, 10:06 AM
njkayaker

I don't GAF if you approve.
Make up your mind.
Old 07-07-22, 10:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I didn’t follow all of the links, so this may already exist.

In a bike centric community where it is the primary method of transportation, I can see where leasing a bike can work. Obviously security is an issue, but I could see it as a niche industry.

Leasing a bike for just pleasure/fitness in a car centric environment probably has less of a chance to be successful since a bike is not essential.

John
Old 07-07-22, 10:27 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
This is all a ploy for Big Lease to infiltrate the community
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-07-22, 12:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Their business model may not exactly fit your definition of leasing, but it definitely isn't "bike sharing". Swapfiets have a few options renting a bike. Either short term or 6 months minimum, leasing like terms. Where I live I see them every day. I even considered getting one myself, an e-bike, to try it out.

It's not MY definition of "leasing", it doesn't fit any reasonable definition of leasing. There's no lease. This is a month-to-month "membership" fee and if the bike stops being useable for any reason, they'll just swap bikes with you.

Real leases tie you into a specific vehicle over a much longer period than a month. If you know someone who got stuck ina lease of a crappy car, you'd spot the significant and real differences between this and leasing right away.
Old 07-07-22, 12:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
People who give good financial advice often refer to a lease as a fleece.
Depends on the circumstances -- personal vs business use, etc. Also depends on timing -- e.g., I know several people whose leases ended during the past year or two, and were able to buy the vehicles (at the predetermined contract prices) and immediately flip them (to the same dealer) at very substantial profits because used cars were so scarce.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A good financial advisor will tell you that leasing can be a useful tool, like mortgages, loans, lines of credit, etc.
This. It always makes me laugh when someone (usually an older male, full of wisdom) gives the advice to never borrow money for a new car. I could've paid cash for my last several cars, but always financed them. As long as the interest rate is below the S&P500's average annual rate of return, the car loan is a smart move. On our current vehicle we're paying 1.87% APR. Anyone who turns that down ought to have his head examined.
Old 07-07-22, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

He asked why it wasn't a thing. I showed him that it was. I don't GAF if you approve.

Quite right, all you said was that it existed. I'm skeptical that it will grow, but you just pointed to someone to watch to see if it will.
If it works, it won't fit my narrative of why it can't in the US, but I think I'll get over it.

Kayak guy will just go over and over it in circles until a mod tells him to knock it off.
Old 07-07-22, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote
Depends on the circumstances -- personal vs business use, etc. Also depends on timing -- e.g., I know several people whose leases ended during the past year or two, and were able to buy the vehicles (at the predetermined contract prices) and immediately flip them (to the same dealer) at very substantial profits because used cars were so scarce.
Time your lease expiration date with the next pandemic and you're golden!

Not disagreeing with you, just think the example is maybe the best example of pure luck in timing possible.
Old 07-07-22, 12:35 PM
Koyote

Time your lease expiration date with the next pandemic and you're golden!

Not disagreeing with you, just think the example is maybe the best example of pure luck in timing possible.
True, most definitely. But it supports my broader point, which is that blanket statements usually don't hold up very well.

Even more broadly, we are all willing to pay for certain conveniences: flying business class vs coach, having someone else do your yardwork, going to a restaurant vs eating at home, etc...The list is infinitely long. Some people prefer to have a new car every few years, and a lease is an easy way to get that. If a person can afford it, why not? We all do things that make little financial sense to other observers, as we all have different preferences.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-07-22, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

True, most definitely. But it supports my broader point, which is that blanket statements usually don't hold up very well.

Even more broadly, we are all willing to pay for certain conveniences: flying business class vs coach, having someone else do your yardwork, going to a restaurant vs eating at home, etc...The list is infinitely long. Some people prefer to have a new car every few years, and a lease is an easy way to get that. If a person can afford it, why not? We all do things that make little financial sense to other observers, as we all have different preferences.

If we were arguing, this would be the point where I'd tell you an anecdote about a car lease gone wrong.

I take your point also to be that such financial decisions are personal and situational, and no matter what they are, some element of luck is going to be involved as to how it works out.

I will make one blanket statement I think holds up very well--unless you're starting it yourself, don't go anywhere near a "multilevel marketing" scheme.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-22, 12:50 PM
Koyote

If we were arguing, this would be the point where I'd tell you an anecdote about a car lease gone wrong.

I take your point also to be that such financial decisions are personal and situational, and no matter what they are, some element of luck is going to be involved as to how it works out.

I will make one blanket statement I think holds up very well--unless you're starting it yourself, don't go anywhere near a "multilevel marketing" scheme.
Agreed on the pyramid schemes...Though if you ARE at the top, they're great.

I'm not sure how a car lease can go wrong, since everything is spelled out in the contract. I have hear horror stories of people who went over the mileage limits and were charged big penalties, but that's all in a contract. (Disclaimer: I've never leased a car, so there may be aspects with which I'm unfamiliar.)
Old 07-07-22, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Agreed on the pyramid schemes...Though if you ARE at the top, they're great.

I'm not sure how a car lease can go wrong, since everything is spelled out in the contract. I have hear horror stories of people who went over the mileage limits and were charged big penalties, but that's all in a contract. (Disclaimer: I've never leased a car, so there may be aspects with which I'm unfamiliar.)

Well, for one thing, getting divorced in the middle of the term is not really in the contract.... I have a lot of clients who suddenly find the big SUV they're leasing ain't so great for that situation, especially if it's got mechanical issues.
Old 07-07-22, 01:29 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
It’s not really leasing but a lot of retailers are now offering POS financing. Especially online purchasers. When checking out the offer is given to make payments. I think this is really a bad idea for most people but isn’t that it in a nutshell?
Old 07-07-22, 01:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Coming soon: Repo Bikeman starring Emilio Estevez as an unemployed actor that has resorted to repo-ing expired lease Treks for $50 each.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-07-22, 01:43 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If we're talking e-bike I think leasing is probably the next thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.