Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sore Quads

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 10:38 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Sore Quads

So has anyone noticed that their quads tend to be more sore than they were when they were younger?

I've noticed lately that my quads are always slightly sore. Nothing significant, but I don't remember having constantly sore quads when I was in my 40s, even though I was definitely doing more climbing back then.

Old 11-08-23, 10:54 AM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
When I started riding after 50 years of not riding, mine hurt for almost a month. Now, not so much.
Likes For SW84:
Old 11-08-23, 11:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Ayup. Without rest dayS they can ache. Climbing a couple of flights of stairs really highlights (Low-lights?) the issue when getting near the top. Can’t say that post ride stretching helps. The only way they stopped aching was to take a few involuntary days off. Aching not true of hams or calves.

I still get a kick out of feeling like I have inflated feeling quads after a workout, but there is far less mass these days.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-08-23 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-08-23, 11:10 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I do a weekly power hike of ~16 miles at a decent pace first 8 slight uphill then 8 back slight down hill. generally the day after I might have a bit of soreness in my calves but nothing out of the ordinary. even after doing a longer effort (for me) bike ride I don't really have any lingering soreness. Maybe if I pushed it harder maybe but so far knock on wood pretty pain free at 65yoa. I have found that before I do a hard hike or bike I usually take 3 ibuprofen and then maybe 2before I go to bed after a harder day keeps the soreness away. Are you saying quads are sorer after working out or just routinely sore? I don't think if the later that is normal. I did this hike yesterday and today my quads have zero soreness. my right calve muscle is a little tight but I wore heavier footwear than normal as i thought it might be snow on the trail. I usually wear lightweight trail running shoes and I wore my keen hiking boots yesterday so that is probably why.
Old 11-08-23, 12:04 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
You need to let your quads heal.
Old 11-08-23, 12:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by rsbob
Ayup. Without rest dayS they can ache.
More soreness than in your younger years?

Originally Posted by jadmt
Are you saying quads are sorer after working out or just routinely sore?
Always a bit sore, but I ride just about every day. If they're really sore, I ride easy.

Originally Posted by late
You need to let your quads heal.
But isn't some amount of soreness acceptable?

Old 11-08-23, 12:14 PM
late

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Of course, but the post strongly suggests that point has been passed.

Muscles aren't static. If they're hurt, and you beat on them, they'll get worse.

Eat some pineapple, kiwi or papaya.
Old 11-08-23, 12:26 PM
jadmt

Always a bit sore, but I ride just about every day. If they're really sore, I ride easy.

seems odd they would always be sore but maybe not, if you are pushing hard most days that would explain things and even if not I suppose we all recover differently. I work out almost every day either cycling, walking or power hiking sometimes both in the same day and I am pretty fat and my quads are rarely sore (nor any other muscle group for that matter). If you looked at me I do not look like I could walk a mile or ride 10. I guess I am kind of a genetic freak, short and fat with decent endurance.
Old 11-08-23, 12:29 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by late
Of course, but the post strongly suggests that point has been passed.

Muscles aren't static. If they're hurt, and you beat on them, they'll get worse.

Eat some pineapple, kiwi or papaya.
I was going to suggest drinking a couple of beers.....that works for me but I do like pineapple on my pizza. I like Kiwi too but always scratchy going down, wish they would figure a way to make them softer on the outside....
Old 11-08-23, 12:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

During my younger years I would experience total body exhaustion, but I was not up on training and the importance of rest/building - so I would wear myself out, over and over and then catch numerous colds. Don’t quite remember quad focused issues.

What I DO notice now is that on rides longer than 2 or 3 hours, if I am not fueling regularly, my quads get sore. It’s like my gas gauge is hitting E. Getting carbs in quickly then helps and can resolve. Just this summer, I have been using SKRATCH recovery drink post hard rides and have found it does make a difference.

Old 11-08-23, 12:54 PM
SW84

Certainly some of it has to do with aging. Next it will be the joints, then the back, etc. Don't ask me how I know......
Likes For SW84:
Old 11-08-23, 12:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
40 years ago my quads ached a lot during soccer season. Now that I'm not playing soccer, they hurt after a long/steep/hard ride, but it usually goes away quicker than a soccer season.
Old 11-08-23, 01:32 PM
late

Originally Posted by jadmt

I was going to suggest drinking a couple of beers.....that works for me but I do like pineapple on my pizza. I like Kiwi too but always scratchy going down, wish they would figure a way to make them softer on the outside....
Those fruit have enezymes that digest protein. Cooking kills them. I have a theory that they digest enough leucine to trigger accelerated protein synthesis.

You don't eat the skin on a Kiwi.. Just spoon the flesh out.

Having said that, I love pineapple on pizza.
Old 11-08-23, 01:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Quads hurt? Really? No kidding? Back when I was your age, if my quads hurt all week but I could still walk fine, I knew my midweek work was just right. Then I'd take 1 day off before the group killer fest. I'm gradually working my way back into it, and I'm just getting to the stage when I can still do stuff with sore quads. Earlier in the process that was a show-stopper. I do remember my quads not being sore when I was young, but maybe that's just because I never worked to my potential. I go more by HR than by feel. I watch the numbers. I know, numbers aren't that popular with everyone, but I think science matters. Then there's that whole other thing about why stress yourself, but you obviously aren't limited by that philosophy.

Yesterday was a gym day, pulling day, and my quads are sore even though I didn't work them, but everything in the gym involves quads some how. I'll go out this afternoon and see what they can do. I think you're doing it right.

I usually don't take NSAIDs. Inflammation is how we heal. I will take them for tendon issues. Swollen tendon sheaths really need to be calmed down or one will get injured tendons.
Old 11-08-23, 02:02 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
So has anyone noticed that their quads tend to be more sore than they were when they were younger?

I've noticed lately that my quads are always slightly sore. Nothing significant, but I don't remember having constantly sore quads when I was in my 40s, even though I was definitely doing more climbing back then.
Yes. I'm 52 and started noticing it 2 years ago. Did not have the issue in my 40's.

Taking an HMB supplement has seemed to help a bit.

https://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/v...s-recent-study
Old 11-08-23, 02:11 PM
late

Originally Posted by prj71

Yes. I'm 52 and started noticing it 2 years ago. Did not have the issue in my 40's.

I also take HMB, good stuff.
Old 11-08-23, 08:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Because of asymmetry and past injuries I tend to overwork the left leg. When I overdo it the left quad gets more sore than the right and it doesn't recover like it used to or like the right one does. Even in my 50s I could recover with a couple days off. Now, if it's really sore 2 days isn't enough but I still go.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-08-23, 09:15 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
While I'm 62 now, I've only been riding 4+ years. So, I don't have the younger years to compare to other than as a kid on my Stingray. I think the general consensus is that it takes longer to recover as we get older. I mostly ride every other day. Legs may be just a bit sore the day after a high intensity or long endurance ride. No pain by the next riding day. Though no pain doesn't mean no fatigue.

Not that you asked about doing something about it, but common sense suggests, taking it easy until the legs stop hurting. I agree with "late", let them heal. Pain usually means something needs to heal or at least recover. Possibly look into best practices for recovery. Also, maybe be sure to make the next ride after a hard ride easier. Not saying a true recovery ride, but just shorter and lower intensity.
Old 11-08-23, 09:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Another HMB consumer, 3g/day, 1 before, 1 after, 1 three or so hours later, usually with dinner. Big help.
Old 11-08-23, 10:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I noticed in my 60's dramatically increased quad soreness when Mashing on my rides.

Compression leggings will help with the soreness.
Old 11-09-23, 05:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Remember that quote you put in the home gym vs gym membership thread? Something about why go to the gym when you can be riding your bike? It's time to start crosstraining and adding other forms of exercise. It's going to cut into the cycling time, but that's life.
Old 11-09-23, 10:54 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
As I got older, I noticed that it took longer for the soreness to set in. Now it's about 48 hours, younger it was about 24 hours. And it lasts longer now.
Old 11-09-23, 10:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by seypat
Remember that quote you put in the home gym vs gym membership thread? Something about why go to the gym when you can be riding your bike? It's time to start crosstraining and adding other forms of exercise. It's going to cut into the cycling time, but that's life.
Good advice, indeed. But I suspect weight training will make those quads even more sore.

For the time being, if I'm particularly sore, I'll do a flat ride without sprints.

Old 11-09-23, 11:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by prj71

https://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/v...s-recent-study
If you have prostate issues, HMB can act as a vaso constrictor and potentially make things worse. Ask me how I know - or better yet, don’t.

Old 11-09-23, 12:02 PM
SW84

Originally Posted by rsbob
If you have prostate issues, HMB can act as a vaso constrictor and potentially make things worse. Ask me how I know - or better yet, don’t.
So it does "end" pain. (pun)
Likes For SW84:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.