Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Questions for Achieving an Ambitious FTP Goal

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Questions for Achieving an Ambitious FTP Goal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 05:50 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Ride your bike, ride your bike... someone said that once.

Update - at this point last year I had already finished 2 12 weeks blocks of intensity. I started too early without enough "base" miles. I gained very little during those training blocks.

Now, I just finished 1400+/- miles of fairly strict Z2. Before that was unstructured free riding all spring and summer. I stretched out my Z2 time and volume - a smart trainer helped immensely with this.

This time last year, after 2 training blocks:
192#
15 min threshold effort = 240w @ 148 BPM*** average
4 min VO2 = 305-310w @ 156 BMP average

After high volume Z2 work and a summer of free riding, last night:
179#
15 min threshold = 277w @ 147BPM (nowhere near full gas, finished the effort easily, was trying to keep the same HR level as last year to note the improvement)
4 min VO2 = 326w @ 154 BMP (max 163 BPM**)

Close to a 40w threshold bump, without any interval training. Perceived effort level seemed easier than I recall, the power flowed easier, and I had more in the tank for the VO2 effort.

I was essentially stuck, like Sir Crash seems to be, for the better part of 2 years. Volume at Z2 seemed to be the key. It will be interesting to see what the next few months of hard training will bring...

*** Compared to some of y'all, I have a very low max HR and a tight power range. I see more watts gained per beat than many people I watch on youtube, but they rev into areas that would cause me to explode... not sure if that is good/bad or doesn't matter.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-08-24, 09:04 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Ride your bike, ride your bike... someone said that once.

Update - at this point last year I had already finished 2 12 weeks blocks of intensity. I started too early without enough "base" miles. I gained very little during those training blocks.

Now, I just finished 1400+/- miles of fairly strict Z2. Before that was unstructured free riding all spring and summer. I stretched out my Z2 time and volume - a smart trainer helped immensely with this.

This time last year, after 2 training blocks:
192#
15 min threshold effort = 240w @ 148 BPM*** average
4 min VO2 = 305-310w @ 156 BMP average

After high volume Z2 work and a summer of free riding, last night:
179#
15 min threshold = 277w @ 147BPM (nowhere near full gas, finished the effort easily, was trying to keep the same HR level as last year to note the improvement)
4 min VO2 = 326w @ 154 BMP (max 163 BPM**)

Close to a 40w threshold bump, without any interval training. Perceived effort level seemed easier than I recall, the power flowed easier, and I had more in the tank for the VO2 effort.

I was essentially stuck, like Sir Crash seems to be, for the better part of 2 years. Volume at Z2 seemed to be the key. It will be interesting to see what the next few months of hard training will bring...

*** Compared to some of y'all, I have a very low max HR and a tight power range. I see more watts gained per beat than many people I watch on youtube, but they rev into areas that would cause me to explode... not sure if that is good/bad or doesn't matter.
I don't know if I would describe myself as "stuck". I am unsurprised that progress would feel slow, but everyone I've spoken with has said that developing a motor takes time, years. Throughout a winter of hard trainer work, perhaps the most important thing I've learned is patience. We'll see though if I do really peter out. As of my last check, my FTP has gone up slightly to 223, which is a small but measurable gain.

As for structured training vs. just volume, I've heard both sides. Anecdotal evidence from both sides that argue structure heavy vs. just volume, so I've kinda given up on trying to decide which one is better and simply respond to time and what I can do. Unfortunately my work constraints in the semesters means that I can't just disappear for 4-6 hours for volume. I'll be adding in volume training in the summer when I'm not teaching.

But it's good to hear you've managed to find gains your way! I'll see how far I can get with my current approach, and adjust as needed. I'll likely go find a coach after my first racing season, once i have a better idea of my racing performances.
Likes For sir_crash_alot:
Old 02-08-24, 10:13 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
As for structured training vs. just volume, I've heard both sides. Anecdotal evidence from both sides that argue structure heavy vs. just volume, so I've kinda given up on trying to decide which one is better and simply respond to time and what I can do. Unfortunately my work constraints in the semesters means that I can't just disappear for 4-6 hours for volume. I'll be adding in volume training in the summer when I'm not teaching.
For years I've taught only in the fall semester and did all my other research the rest of the year. During the fall, my hours went way down and you can only do what you can do so I would prop up my training by substituting intensity for volume. I have years of this experiment. My conclusion is that when time-crunched, intensity can substitute for some volume but not all, so each January (like this one) I'm starting at a lower spot than where I was in August. Bottom line, TSS is not a complete field-leveler. There are, however, variations in where my January starts, depending on how much intensity and volume I was able to accumulate during the fall. In severe years, I'd lose 10-15% of my CP over the fall; in better years, I'd lose only 5-10%. My sprint doesn't change much: it kinda sucks year 'round.
Likes For RChung:
Old 04-01-24, 08:09 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

So I've been plugging away, and the gains are pretty small month-to-month. I am in a rhythm though, and hard intervals have just become a regular habit such that if I go a few days without my regular training, I start to get antsy.

Perhaps the biggest feeling of improvement since I started pursuing this seriously has been that now my "resting" power is about the same as my FTP from August 2023. Realizing that in the middle of a hard interval felt good.

Current FTP: 229 watts
Watts/kg: 3.77
Likes For sir_crash_alot:
Old 04-01-24, 09:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Resting power is a new term for me. What is it?
Old 04-02-24, 05:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I expect he means the recovery power level in-between intervals.
Old 04-02-24, 07:14 AM
spelger

ok, that makes sense then. i think i have a ways to go then.
Old 04-02-24, 08:27 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I expect he means the recovery power level in-between intervals.
Correct. Thanks! Yes, not really a concept or a term, but just a power level where I feel I'm still able to clear the lactate and get ready for the next hard set.
Old 04-02-24, 09:07 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
They say that when someone dies, right?
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-02-24, 10:13 AM
spelger

no rest for the weary?
Old 04-25-24, 09:44 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
They say that when someone dies, right?
They say that cycling is suffering on a bike. It is only natural that the end point of that journey is the grave. It is then all of our destiny to have the ultimate resting power.

My epitaph:
"Dr. So and So
Husband, Father, Teacher.
FTP at time of death: 120W
Here he lies, with his resting power never higher than it is now and forever more."
Old 04-25-24, 09:48 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

no rest for the weary?
Haha, i was just going to post on this forum to complain about how TrainerRoad keeps telling me my training stress is too high, and that I should replace interval sessions with endurance sessions. The Red Light-Green Light rollout is interesting, and kinda funny how it seems to contradict the very plans that it prescribes.

It's kinda the "Whoop"-ing of fitness which, while I understand what it's trying to accomplish, feels like it's trying to tell me how I *should* feel on any given day as opposed to being honest about how I *actually* feel.

TrainerRoad: I'm a grown-ass man with toxic masculinity issues. Don't tell me to how to live my life and destroy my body!
Old 04-26-24, 07:14 AM
RunnerT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are making quite a lot of progress from what i see, reminds me of my own training a few years back.

I am sitting at around 300W for a 20 min test at 70 kg, nothing crazy by any means. As my name suggests i run a bit as well. Just wanted to share what i have experienced had the biggest impact on my general fitness on the bike and run.

-High protein intake, 3g/kg. This will help you recover faster and increase Vo2 max. Google it, quite a lot of research done on it. Keeping fat intake at around 1,2-1,5 g/kg, protein intake at around 3g/kg and putting the rest on carbs is a great way to get better at using fats as fuel. And making sure you fuel properly before, during and after is important if you want 5w/kg. This i probably where most fail, including myself. If you get sick often, look into calories in and out, you might be underfueling just slightly on daily basis.
-Red meat.
-Higher candace on z2 rides, if you have long legs like me you sort of need to force yourself above 90 rpm.
-Strength training, box squats and deadlifts work for me, might be different for you. I usually go for 20 reps at around 60% of max. 2-3 sets.
-Structured training is a must! A hometrainer is excellent for threshold efforts, you need to get better at these, sorry!
-Low candance (40-50 rpm) training on the bike, again strength training.

Gut bacteria is a big one as well.. but it would take me a few hours to write about that. Google is your friend.
Caffeine
Baking soda
Beetroot extract
Iron supplements if you go above 12h/week