Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Peloton vs Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Peloton vs Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 10:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Interesting thread. I use a smart trainer for indoor structured training and outdoor riding for endurance, group rides, mtb etc. Plus target events of course.

They all compliment each other perfectly. My bike handling skills don’t vanish after indoor training sessions. I can often get a higher quality workout from riding indoors. My local terrain lacks long sustained climbs, so I often simulate alpine climbs on the trainer with accurate grade simulation, so power and cadence are both realistic. I lift the front wheel to get the right position too. It works for me when I go back outside and doesn’t feel a whole lot different.

Outdoor winter road riding where I live is too dangerous for my liking. I would rather maintain my fitness indoor with the odd outdoor ride on brighter days. In spring I come out of the box fully fit. I don’t think I could achieve that from exclusively riding outdoors unless I moved to southern Spain.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-06-21, 12:30 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Interesting thread. I use a smart trainer for indoor structured training and outdoor riding for endurance, group rides, mtb etc. Plus target events of course.

They all compliment each other perfectly. My bike handling skills don’t vanish after indoor training sessions. I can often get a higher quality workout from riding indoors. My local terrain lacks long sustained climbs, so I often simulate alpine climbs on the trainer with accurate grade simulation, so power and cadence are both realistic. I lift the front wheel to get the right position too. It works for me when I go back outside and doesn’t feel a whole lot different.

Outdoor winter road riding where I live is too dangerous for my liking. I would rather maintain my fitness indoor with the odd outdoor ride on brighter days. In spring I come out of the box fully fit. I don’t think I could achieve that from exclusively riding outdoors unless I moved to southern Spain.
Not sure where anyone indicated that handling skills vanish, just that there are plenty of people who have taken up cycling during the pandemic and are Zwift/Peloton warriors that ended up having a very rude awakening once they ventured out onto the road for the first time. I've seen a lot of this around me locally.

Old 08-06-21, 12:44 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
During the early days of the pandemic, myself and my friends did a lot of zwifting, usually together. We were only allowed to ride on our own or with a member of our household outside- so our group riding skills took a massive hit. And we realised it on our first ride out in a group of 6. We just forgot simple things like calling out potholes. So we worked on it- even working with a local coach just to get those skills back.
but Zwift/trainer road/sufferfest/any sort of structured program will get you bike fit, but not necessarily road fit.
Old 08-06-21, 05:29 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Not sure where anyone indicated that handling skills vanish, just that there are plenty of people who have taken up cycling during the pandemic and are Zwift/Peloton warriors that ended up having a very rude awakening once they ventured out onto the road for the first time. I've seen a lot of this around me locally.
It seemed like people were polarising those who train indoors vs those who ride exclusively outside. My experience is that ONLY keen cyclists ever invest in a smart trainer + Zwift setup and most Peloton users are in it more for general fitness than any serious outdoor cycling/racing.

I haven’t seen any of these “Zwift warriors” emerging from the pandemic who can’t ride bikes. Where I live a few people did take up cycling during the pandemic, but it looks like they just dug out their rusty old bikes from the shed and took straight to plodding around the local roads. I’m pretty sure those guys were not smashing it on Zwift races beforehand!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-09-21, 06:33 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It seemed like people were polarising those who train indoors vs those who ride exclusively outside. My experience is that ONLY keen cyclists ever invest in a smart trainer + Zwift setup and most Peloton users are in it more for general fitness than any serious outdoor cycling/racing.

I haven’t seen any of these “Zwift warriors” emerging from the pandemic who can’t ride bikes. Where I live a few people did take up cycling during the pandemic, but it looks like they just dug out their rusty old bikes from the shed and took straight to plodding around the local roads. I’m pretty sure those guys were not smashing it on Zwift races beforehand!
The only thing I've seen said is that there are things you won't get from indoor training that you will get from group riding. It can't be a stretch to believe that bike handing skills don't develop indoors, nor do group riding skills (also evident in triathletes that only ride alone).

And you can't extrapolate that they aren't out there because you haven't seen them. Trust us, many of us have. And there are still plenty of Zwifters that are still only riding indoors. Strava is full of them. You don't need to invest much to get going on Zwift. You can get a trainer for a few hundred bucks, and you don't need the latest aero carbon bike w/ the latest weight weenie bits. An old steel frame w/ a 20-year-old groupset can get you started.

I've seen a good number of riders who come out to group rides after having been on Zwift for a year and:
  1. Be an absolute menace that no one wants to ride anywhere near because they have no concept of how to hold a line.
  2. Be absolutely humbled because they think they're super strong because they've been using a (poorly set up) dumb trainer and Zwift's ZPower estimate is GROSSLY overestimating their power. They think they've been doing rides where they're putting out 350w for 2 hours so they go out with a fast group and are immediately spit out the back.
Trust people when they say they have seen a "Zwift Effect" with their own eyes.

Old 08-09-21, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

The only thing I've seen said is that there are things you won't get from indoor training that you will get from group riding. It can't be a stretch to believe that bike handing skills don't develop indoors, nor do group riding skills (also evident in triathletes that only ride alone).

And you can't extrapolate that they aren't out there because you haven't seen them. Trust us, many of us have. And there are still plenty of Zwifters that are still only riding indoors. Strava is full of them. You don't need to invest much to get going on Zwift. You can get a trainer for a few hundred bucks, and you don't need the latest aero carbon bike w/ the latest weight weenie bits. An old steel frame w/ a 20-year-old groupset can get you started.

I've seen a good number of riders who come out to group rides after having been on Zwift for a year and:
  1. Be an absolute menace that no one wants to ride anywhere near because they have no concept of how to hold a line.
  2. Be absolutely humbled because they think they're super strong because they've been using a (poorly set up) dumb trainer and Zwift's ZPower estimate is GROSSLY overestimating their power. They think they've been doing rides where they're putting out 350w for 2 hours so they go out with a fast group and are immediately spit out the back.
Okay, I'll accept that you live somewhere full of dumb asses
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-09-21, 11:11 AM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I’ve always ridden because it’s fun. Pretty sure pedaling in the basement isn’t much fun.
Likes For AlanO:
Old 08-09-21, 11:11 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Great thread!

I've been rehabbing from spinal injury for 18 months. The Doc let me get on my trainer at about a month after surgery. He said stationary only, no free standing rollers, so I rode a resistance trainer for months. At a certain point he said the bone in my spine had healed enough to go ride the road.

All that indoor riding had indeed been to my benefit. I wasn't close to my climbing ability, I needed months to get my wind back, but I was very happy that I could quickly start doing long rides again. I have a schedule that has me working out about 22 days a month, more or less evenly between weights and bikes. If I can't get outside ( weather, heat, or smoke from fires) I ride the resistance trainer and watch videos of motorcycle racing, lol.
Likes For afm199:
Old 08-09-21, 11:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Damn kids today!
Old 08-09-21, 12:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanO
I’ve always ridden because it’s fun. Pretty sure pedaling in the basement isn’t much fun.
Yes, but basement probably has better wifi coverage for sending LOL and WUT back and forth, which is all kids nowadays care about.
Old 08-09-21, 01:03 PM
Andy Somnifac 

It's not the most fun, no. But it gets results when outdoor conditions aren't ideal.

But even if any of us would prefer to ride outside, none of us are in any position to yuck someone else's yum.

Old 08-09-21, 01:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Outdoor riding has a purpose and training indoors, especially during bad weather, has a purpose as well. They are not mutually exclusive. If one combines them, the result is better fitness all around. Don’t know why there is such an effort to demonize one when they are both complimentary. Think we have enough polarization without brining it into cycling.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-09-21, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
it is not that much fun like riding outdoors but it sure beats sitting near the window on a rainy/snowy day crying while wishing the weather would cooperate.
Old 08-09-21, 01:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
it is not that much fun like riding outdoors but it sure beats sitting near the window on a rainy/snowy day crying while wishing the weather would cooperate.
You could go bowling instead.
Old 08-09-21, 02:25 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Provided you put in the same level of intensity and duration; a wink is as good as nod to a blind mule.

But, I don't like riding in close proximity to riders who spend most of their time indoors, unless they ride rollers.
Old 08-09-21, 02:50 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
It's not the most fun, no. But it gets results when outdoor conditions aren't ideal.

But even if any of us would prefer to ride outside, none of us are in any position to yuck someone else's yum.
The original question was is it better to ride inside. My answer is still no.
Old 08-09-21, 02:55 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You could go bowling instead.
i don't see how bowling in the rain or snow is any better.
Old 08-09-21, 03:11 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob
Outdoor riding has a purpose and training indoors, especially during bad weather, has a purpose as well. They are not mutually exclusive. If one combines them, the result is better fitness all around. Don’t know why there is such an effort to demonize one when they are both complimentary. Think we have enough polarization without brining it into cycling.
I'm glad someone else has noted this polarised attitude too. I thought it was just me!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-09-21, 03:48 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Any fitness activity depends on what you put into it. Both each workout and if you ever bother to "progress" or not.

Plenty of folks are just fine "maintaining". Always only ever to do a few pullups and pushups. Always only able to run a 30:00 5k. Always only able to have a bike ftp of 225w.

The Peloton thing is no different. You get out what you put in. If you bother to test and do workouts and training volume in such a way to progress............sure. There's a whole generation now of "Zwift fit" folks who can't ride a bike on road with others without being a danger, but they've got the power.

So, yeah, you could.

Also, a no drop ride is typically Z1 or Z2 "volume". It isn't mean to feel like a race. If you want a stay together ride that hurts, lookup a local "rotation" ride. You'll get 3 to 8 or so folks rotating. If you want to actually "hurt" do the drop rides.

Most average joes I know local to me haven't broken past maybe doing 180w for 30min workouts on their Peloton for a couple years.

Most cyclists do enough bike volume you'd be bored to death only riding a spin bike indoors to get enough volume to be equivalent.

Zwift is engaging enough some folks I guess can do half or more their volume inside with it, hours and hours and hours a week. But still.
There's also group rides that will push you way more than a zwift ride in a way.

There are rides around me that average 37-40+ kph over a 50k course.. That's not racing, that's just a Saturday ride with a rotating pace line
Old 08-09-21, 04:00 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
People talk about getting too hot on an indoor trainer and need a fan. I actually prefer my indoor trainer, rather than going on a ride for the sake of exercise(i dont need to worry about idiots in vehicles taking me out, or other cyclists riding past/spitting their virus into my path) ( I only ride my bike for transport).

But mine is a wind resistance machine, so whatever power i"m developing is powering moving air in the room, most of it being directed on the body, keeping, not quite as effective as keeping one cool as one's bike moving through the air but almost. Why dont more people use these or why did they go out of favour.

Yes, its challenging to change the resistance, one can put fabric over the wind vanes to reduce the resistance, Ive actually removed too vanes from mine so I can maintain a cadence of over 60 for an hour or so, and yes they are noisy.
Old 08-09-21, 04:16 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
For me, one of the biggest benefits of indoor training is time and efficiency. A lot of days, I am pressed for time, and I can just throw on some bike shorts, fill a couple of bottles and jump on the bike in the garage. I don't need to pump any tires, set up my computer or lights, or muck around with cleaning my sunglasses, packing nutrition, and the rest of the checklist of things it takes to get out the door on my bike. More importantly, I can cram a full workout into 45-60 minutes (even 30 minutes some days) because after a 5 minute warm-up, I can jam full speed with no coasting, no stop signs, no traffic, etc., and I can do it in the dark with no problem. Obviously, outdoor riding is more fun, but a 45-minute indoor ride is better than a 45-minute outdoor ride. Unfortunatley, that's my choice many days.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-09-21, 05:33 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
There's also group rides that will push you way more than a zwift ride in a way.

There are rides around me that average 37-40+ kph over a 50k course.. That's not racing, that's just a Saturday ride with a rotating pace line
Makes no difference to me. I can push myself just as hard indoors or outdoors. I hit my all time 90 min average HR on Zwift recently. I would find it hard to keep pushing that relentlessly hard on a typical outdoor ride with “stuff” happening. Indoors you can be fully focused on simply mashing the pedals without any micro-breaks whatsoever. I find the indoor trainer much better for most structured interval training too. But for longer endurance rides I much prefer going outdoors, providing the weather is okay.
Old 08-09-21, 08:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
It may be my imagination but I have not seen one person who uses an indoor trainer criticizing indoor training. On the other hand, many who don’t use one seem to have Devine knowledge about them. To me it seems like criticizing an aircraft captain for hitting clear air turbulence, when one has never flown a plane. I tend to place my trust in experts and not conjecture by those with no direct experience. But that is just me. Call me crazy.

Old 08-09-21, 08:47 PM
Guntrainer

Bikes: Catrike 700

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although old, I do not think my goals or needs are different from most folks who love to ride. I want to improve with every ride. I ride hard. I also use a recumbent trainer at the gym. I train harder than I ride. As was said, stop signs, etc.

I would never think that riding exclusively indoors would make me a better rider. Maybe a more dangerous rider.

I use the HIIT option on the trainer. This has helped me with leg strength and cadence. Today, I achieved a maximum cadence of 183 rpm on the trainer, just before and into the High Intensity Interval. Did not stay there long. At the end of the interval, I was grunting out leg presses at 48 rpm. I have worked up to the maximum level on the trainer, which is level 20. I do 3 hours of cardio, six twenty minute sets on the bike trainer, and three twenty minute sets on a rowing machine. Also, lifting and a total body workout for around three hours. It has rained a lot and had temps over 95 this season, so twice a week at the gym has worked for me.

What has this done for my cycling?

I ride the Natchez Trace, the first fifty miles or so, arguably the hilliest part. My last ride got me to a little over 47 mph on a flat. Things felt good, and I stretched it out. The hills felt good. A one kilometer pull on a good hill going out and a worthy two kilometer pull coming back were easier than usual. I typically ride an 85 mile loop.

With this said, I have a Cat 700 tadpole trike. Don't look down your nose at this machine. When I bought it, it was the fastest production trike. Period. It took about 18 months to get the speed on hills about where it was on a diamond frame.

Folks are right about upper body strength, especially on a 'bent. That is what a gym is for. Balance in attaining your desired fitness is the key. One cannot be a beast on the road if they only train indoors. OTOH, hitting it hard in the gym and oudoors can make you a better beast on the road.
Old 08-10-21, 01:25 PM
sterlingsam

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spinning (via Soul Cycle, Peloton, Wahoo, Zwift, etc.) and bicycling on the road both use some of the same muscles, but spinning does use more of the hamstrings. This is because of the flywheel, which is typically 14-18kg. Cycling, however, uses a lot more of the body muscles, esp. lower body. Abs, forearms, hamstrings, gluts, shins, calves, and quads. The thighs, in particular, are worked harder cycling. Unless you are pedaling pretty much all the time while cycling, you will achieve better cardiovascular fitness with spinning. Unless you are spinning for hours and hours, however, there is no comparison between the calories burned. Cycling will burn many more calories than spinning, fighting the headwind, avoiding potholes, debris, cars, dogs on leashes, etc., taking on hilly terrain, high mileage. If you have limited time to cycle, as I do, I might suggest riding a heavier bike. I thought I was a pretty good cyclist, until I went to Denmark, rented a bike comparable to what everyone else was riding. In that situation, other than the under 10 year olds, most Danes can blow you away, while holding their cell phone in one hand, a warm beverage in the other! This is because they start riding very early, and they ride in dry weather, the rain, the snow, every condition. Americans, as a whole, tend to ride only in dry weather. That is the difference which accounts for Danes being much strong bicyclists than Americans and their average BMI is reflective of that. Spinning, of course, will not help you develop any outdoor cycling skills, climbing those hills, descending, riding with the wind behind you, riding with the wind in your face, etc. Spinning, however, is a form of exercise where you can literally close your eyes while doing it. That is, there are no hazards, such as cars, and careless drivers opening their doors on you without looking back, potholes, to look out for. This accounts for the majority of spinning riders being women, and majority of outdoor cyclists being men. Easily 80% of spinning riders are women while more than three-quarters of outdoor cyclists are men. Largely a safety concern, but also sexual harassment, clothing, time, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.