Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sometimes, the old ways are the best

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sometimes, the old ways are the best

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 06:57 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Check the foam surrounds. They're only good for ~10 years, and could be disintegrating. It that is the case - fear not. there is a place in Ohio that re-foams drivers for about $33 each. My Advent Utility drivers are there as we speak.
From my understanding, the Series II was one of the only ones with cloth surrounds. Later versions were all foam surrounds. I hate to disturb the original speaker cloth to verify. Guess I'll wait to see how they sound.

Crossing my fingers, as this pair of speakers has 18 total speakers, so that is a lot of foam to replace.

From one source on the internet: " Foam surrounds are used on Series III through VI while cloth surrounds are used on Series I & II."

But there are also some shortcomings of the early models "On the earlier models Series I and II, a tremendous boost in the lower frequencies was required. To a lesser degree...the highs were also boosted. This placed quite a demand on one's amplifier! The fact that the basic principle of the design was Acoustic Suspension which required large movements of the drivers to produce enough air movement for bass didn't help either...but it was a great sounding system as long as you had a 200 watt/ch. or more amplifier! "

Last edited by wrk101; 01-18-11 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 07:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I've got an ELAC Miracord 770H record changer in a solid teak cabinet, but my digital receiver doesn't have inputs for it. Is there some sort of an adapter I can buy? I've got an old Marantz analog receiver, but I don't really need or want two systems. My wife has big collection of LPs that she hasn't heard in 20 years.
You may need a pre-amp. Or are you looking for a place for your ground wire?
Old 01-18-11, 07:05 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
Nice thread. Love the tubes. I sold my Fisher 400 tube stereo, but I've still got my Dahlquist speakers and Pioneer turntable. Will keep them forever.
Old 01-18-11, 07:13 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
I think I'm going to bow out of this conversation before people start talking (and posting pics) about tube equipment, my real vice.
Can I go there? Here's my radio. It's a Norelco from Holland. The Europians went FM long before we did (was it WWII?) so I can get the local jazz station. It's also got short wave and long wave.
The phono isn't working these days. There's a rubber drive wheel under the turntable that has shrunk and doesn't contact the way it should. I tried disconnecting the phono input and wiring them up to a cd player but the signal was really weak. I'd need a preamp or something to get decent sound. Sometimes I use one of those little Radio Shack transeivers with the CD player but that gets to be a hassle.
I bought it at a church rummage sale almost 30 years ago. It moved to Minnesota with me about 10 years ago when I got married the first time. After that fell through I gave it to a girl I was dating and went to sea for a while. About 2 or 3 years ago she called me up, she was living in Boston with her boyfriend (I was living just an hour north of there) and she was moving again and did I want it back. Thank god. I really missed it.
It still thumps. Somewhere I have pictures of it without all the junk on it but I can't find them right now.

By the way, have any of you seen a fuse like this? It's a tiny thing, maybe 1/4" with a spool shape soldered to a stirrup shape. They came unsoldered a while back. An eye screw works but I don't think it's the right solution.
Old 01-18-11, 07:15 PM
Kevin stafford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
Enjoying this thread, I just picked up a near perfect Sansui Eight Deluxe receiver last night at Goodwill for 10 bucks. It is now set up in the living room with a pair of Sansui S-730 speakers. The bike workshop has an Onkyo receiver with a set of Optimus speakers.
Old 01-18-11, 07:18 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by YoKev
I'm really enjoying the pictures in this thread
1977 Pioneer SX-780, aglow underneath a 1980 Mondia Super. Note the milled knobs and big, beefy toggle switches that softly "thunk" when you throw them. You just don't see that anymore - micro-switches killed them off:

Something else that you don't see much of, anymore. Analog gauges:

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-18-11, 08:39 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin stafford
Enjoying this thread, I just picked up a near perfect Sansui Eight Deluxe receiver last night at Goodwill for 10 bucks. It is now set up in the living room with a pair of Sansui S-730 speakers. The bike workshop has an Onkyo receiver with a set of Optimus speakers.
I just donated a Sansui 777 integrated amp. I left a pair of Sansui speakers with 15" woofers in the workshop when I sold my last house. I just don't have room for all my stuff. I'm afraid that my house is going to end up looking like the ones you see on that Hoarders show. Twice I've bought bigger houses and managed to fill them up in a few years. Now I've got bicycles in three rooms.
Old 01-18-11, 09:01 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
OK - off-topic relative to bikes, but sort of on-topic in relation to C&V.

I just put the finishing touches on some major updates to my home theater/stereo system. Had to search a bit for a decent A/V Receiver with analog pre-amp outputs and phono outs - auditioned a few, bought one/sent it back, and finally made my selection.

The ~15 year old ADCOM GFA-555II, which has been switched off for a decade, is on the bench at the local stereo repair place getting turned up slowly and reconditioned on the Variac. It is preparing for a starring role as the primary driver for the two main speakers.

(As an aside - the owner, Steve, went to high school with and is friends with Grant Peterson)

After ~10 years sitting dark, my turntable is up and spinning. I just finished listening to the B side of the album E.C. Was Here.

It was............. NICE.
By reconditioned on the Variac, you mean the capacitors are getting reformed by being powered up slowly, or the tech is just treating everything very gently until it's clear that the circuit is sound?

What TT, arm, and cartridge do you have? I have a dormant VPI original model, with an Eminent Technology arm and a Shure V15 Mk V.
Old 01-18-11, 09:02 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
You guys and your new fangled "stereo". Two speakers is like a 10 speed cassette and brifters. I'll stick with mono............

Old 01-18-11, 09:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by triplebutted
Wait, did you attach a Brooks saddle to it? I'm confused.
That's on the listening chair, aka Trek on a Trainer.
Old 01-18-11, 09:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Big, BIG Monkey Man!!! BAH BAH BA-BA-BA....

My goodness...the Dual (PL12D?) and The Specials is giving me flashbacks. ooohhhh...
Old 01-18-11, 09:05 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by southpawboston
By the mid 70s, A/D/S were using butyl surrounds. Their earlier foam surrounds disintegrated like everyone else's. And yes, there were a ton of speaker companies that started here. I don't know if it was the MIT proximity or just a whole bunch of companies spinning off from one another. Bose, KLH, A/D/S, BA... there were lots.

Very cool. I never had a high-end amp or receiver. That was the weak link in any of my systems. My only vintage receiver is a circa 1990 mid-range Onkyo, digital of course.
I think the whole Boston connection started with Edgar Villchur and Acoustic Research Corporation.
Old 01-18-11, 09:21 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by rat fink
I think I'm going to bow out of this conversation before people start talking (and posting pics) about tube equipment, my real vice.
Anybody need a pair of Stereo 70s? No guarantees, but I did use them about 20 years ago.
Old 01-18-11, 09:53 PM
DavidW56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone please explain why the sound reproduced by these archaic machines is preferable to the sound reproduced by modern technology. All I recall from older sound equipment were many imperfections, distortions, and noise.
Old 01-18-11, 10:02 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Interesting, I know a Gen"Y"er who collects Vinyl and preaches the "Genuine Acoustics Gospel". Having lived through it, I still enjoy my vintage set up and my collection of LP's. The "Album" was such a great format for Art and Design. I see this thread running out of control, if we start to laud the great technologies of the very recent past- don't get me started on Nikon Film Cameras or Two Stroke Italian scooters...
Old 01-18-11, 10:06 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by Road Fan
By reconditioned on the Variac, you mean the capacitors are getting reformed by being powered up slowly......
This. They run the voltage up in increments over a period of time, to get the capacitors to "re-form" to original specs. You can just flip it on and hope for the best, but it is a good amplifier and worth the cheap insurance to do it right.

What TT, arm, and cartridge do you have? I have a dormant VPI original model, with an Eminent Technology arm and a Shure V15 Mk V.
strictly consumer grade stuff - Technics SL-D1 direct drive turntable with stock arm and Audio Technica cartridge. I forget the model, but it's green.

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-18-11, 10:07 PM
sailorbenjamin

Anologue is a part of it. Digital pixilates the sound. Big wooden sound boxes are helpful to acoustics.
I just get sick of all my CDs being scratched. My cassettes are all still fine even though I can't find a cassette deck that still has good drive bands.
Old 01-18-11, 10:09 PM
sailorbenjamin

This. They run the voltage up in increments over a period of time, to get the capacitors to "re-form" to original specs. You can just flip it on and hope for the best, but it is a good amplifier and worth the cheap insurance to do it right.
Can I do this myself or should I take it to a guy? What's the method?
Old 01-18-11, 10:09 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by DavidW56
Someone please explain why the sound reproduced by these archaic machines is preferable to the sound reproduced by modern technology. All I recall from older sound equipment were many imperfections, distortions, and noise.
It's analog. It is not sampled, compressed, approximated, or digitally manipulated. It is a more faithful reproduction of the material. Vintage music was originally recorded in an analog fashion, and loses something in the conversion to digital.

Find a high-end stereo shop, and you'll find newly manufactured "archaic" equipment. Plunk yourself down in their listening room, and have them play your favorite music through some McIntosh mono-blocks and a pair of, say, Martin-Logan speakers.

If you're not impressed with the richness of the sound-stage, stick with what you've got.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-18-11 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 10:15 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
Can I do this myself or should I take it to a guy? What's the method?
You need the Variac bench-test equipment to do it. That's the main requirement. It is a variable transformer that you use to slowly bring a long idle amplifier up to full power. Short discussion here:

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20272

The thing is, a skilled stereo bench tech can use the Variac to find potential problems before they become real, expensive problems. So - I'd take it to a "guy", if it was something I cared about and/or it was valuable.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-18-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 10:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I gave up on stereo after I visited with a fellow bike club member, in his living room was an interesting set up, I don't remmeber the full details but he had a Rabco linear tracking turntable, two Revox reel to reel machines, some huge JBL's that he had suspended but were not used as he was evaluating some Quadraplaners (sp) electrostatic speakers. He had two computers running the show for for him and some music was on 5.25" floppy discs, pretty amazing for 1975.
Old 01-18-11, 10:18 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Wow. My vintage audio equipment bears the same relation to others' stuff as my gaspipe bikes do to other people's bikes.

My wife and I are still using the Sony TA-AX310 amplifier (don't worry--there's a good reason you aren't familiar with this model) that my (now) wife got on discount because it was the floor model when she worked at L.S. Ayres in 1986. You have to jiggle the sliding volume control in order to get both channels and something that doesn't sound like it's coming from underwater.
Old 01-18-11, 10:22 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by elcraft
Interesting, I know a Gen"Y"er who collects Vinyl and preaches the "Genuine Acoustics Gospel". Having lived through it, I still enjoy my vintage set up and my collection of LP's. The "Album" was such a great format for Art and Design....
Interesting comment. I spun a Linda Ronstadt LP, and then followed that up with Carol King's Tapestry for my daughter. I showed her the simple but necessary procedures for using a turntable, and while we listened she picked up the album cover and examined it very closely. She was amazed at all the ancillary information that the jacket had - she had no idea recorded music used to come with all that extra background information.

I asked her if she had ever heard of the term "liner notes". She had not - so I got to explain all that to her.

She has been studying for finals the last couple of hours, and singing/humming Carol King tunes while doing so. I opened up the world a little more for her tonight.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-19-11 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-18-11, 10:26 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
You guys and your new fangled "stereo". Two speakers is like a 10 speed cassette and brifters. I'll stick with mono............

WOW, I really dig this setup!

Chris
Old 01-18-11, 10:29 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Anybody need a pair of Stereo 70s? No guarantees, but I did use them about 20 years ago.
I'd be interested.........

S. J. Perelman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.