Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Head position while cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Head position while cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 06:51 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
beng1's position is not close to one typically adopted by a TdF rider.
His hip angle is less. His shoulder angle is less.
These angles are considerably below what is recommended by bike fitters, even for a temporary or time trial position.
And you also missed that I am down on the drops and the Tour riders are not, if they were it is easy to see they would be identical to my position. And besides I am riding a fifty-year old steel frame, so that I am getting it as close as I am, and able to go as fast as I do on this bike, is proof that I am doing it right. This year I am throwing some Continental tires on this bike along with some 180mm cranks, and if the bad valve to my aorta does not get any leakier I will be going just as as fast or faster than last year.
Old 03-28-23, 07:38 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
And you also missed that I am down on the drops and the Tour riders are not
It doesn't matter. Hoods or drops, your hands are nowhere near where a pro places their hands.

And besides I am riding a fifty-year old steel frame, so that I am getting it as close as I am, and able to go as fast as I do on this bike, is proof that I am doing it right.
That is not proof that you managed a correct bike fit. The photo is evidence that the human body can still perform fairly well in an awkward and far-from-optimal bike position.

This year I am throwing some Continental tires on this bike along with some 180mm cranks, and if the bad valve to my aorta does not get any leakier I will be going just as as fast or faster than last year.
Longer cranks will make your hip angle even more closed, which will make it harder to produce power.

Some unsolicited advice: Rather than try to invent a bike position, pay attention to what professional bike fitters have to say. Since you seem to be focused on achieving an extreme aero position, something approximating a time trial position might suit you well.

Old 03-28-23, 08:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
Heck, I'd buy him a beer if he could ride even 5 miles in that scrunch! Maybe even a pack of bar tape....
Old 03-30-23, 07:30 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
beng1 strikes again! Really beng1 , I would love to see a video of you riding in that position.

Last edited by Lombard; 03-30-23 at 07:36 AM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-30-23, 07:53 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 735 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
I've read an article about the causes/solutions to neck pain while cycling. I know that more aggressive positions are more likely to cause neck pain, and handlebar height and excessive reach are the two main things to check when you are having neck pain...

I just got a new to me road bike and it has aero bars. I love riding with the aero bars, but I don't really understand how my head should be positioned? So that I can see ahead, although that strains my neck? Or so my neck is comfortable, but I can't see very far ahead? Or maybe alternate between the two? What do you do?
Mara,
Maybe consider raising the bars up while your body's flexibility improves. A new stem with an upward angle will change your position a lot and maybe after 6 months of riding you can use the original stem comfortably. This is how it worked for me. Good luck!!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-30-23, 08:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
I've read an article about the causes/solutions to neck pain while cycling. I know that more aggressive positions are more likely to cause neck pain, and handlebar height and excessive reach are the two main things to check when you are having neck pain...

I just got a new to me road bike and it has aero bars. I love riding with the aero bars, but I don't really understand how my head should be positioned? So that I can see ahead, although that strains my neck? Or so my neck is comfortable, but I can't see very far ahead? Or maybe alternate between the two? What do you do?
Google search. The internet is kinda a kewl thing these days.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+while+cycling
Old 03-30-23, 09:41 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by prj71
Google search. The internet is kinda a kewl thing these days.
The "just Google it" reply was never polite or very useful, and it went out of fashion in the 2000s.

Post better.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-30-23, 09:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I've posted these pics before. Critique my position. Getting a fit next week, would appreciate all opinions ahead of that.

for @mara777 = a low cycling position is not natural, takes time to get used to. Often a saddle issue for sustaining the position (for men anyway).

Look thru your eyebrows and don't forget your readers.

edit: ....and YES, I can hold this position for miles, Max power to pedals is slightly more open with hands on the hoods.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-30-23 at 09:49 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-30-23, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Don't forget to consider the helmet you wear too. Some come too low on your brow or are too far away from your forehead and block the view making you have to lift your head higher. Visors can do the same thing.

Some helmets have various ways to make the helmet sit further back on your head. Check inside them and see if there is adjustment for how the cradle (can't think of the proper name) fits your head. Not just the little wheel you spin on the back to tighten the band.
Old 03-30-23, 11:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10426 Post(s)
Liked 11,901 Times in 6,096 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I've posted these pics before. Critique my position. Getting a fit next week, would appreciate all opinions ahead of that.

for @mara777 = a low cycling position is not natural, takes time to get used to. Often a saddle issue for sustaining the position (for men anyway).

Look thru your eyebrows and don't forget your readers.

edit: ....and YES, I can hold this position for miles, Max power to pedals is slightly more open with hands on the hoods.
If you can hold the position for miles, it strikes me it's a good fit. Your back looks reasonably close to level. One thing I find is that straightening my back takes some pressure off my neck, because it doesn't have to bend back as far. The problem then is that my thighs are hitting the bottom of my ribcage. It used to be they were hitting my gut, but I lost about 30#.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-30-23, 11:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The main trick with avoiding neck pain is to reduce the angle between your neck and back. Yeah, sure, everyone knows that. But the trick there is to flatten your back, especially your upper back. If you look back through the above photos, you'll notice quite a bit of variation in upper back curvature and you can easily see how a flatter upper back will reduce neck bend. There's an old thread all about this, here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html

It works. Of course neck exercises also help. When I go to the gym in the fall, I start with a bunch of upper upper body strengthening work, shrugs, dumbbell presses, side and front raises, that sort of thing. I think that helps some. A RAAM rider who succumbed to Schermer's Neck on year came back the next having strengthened his neck, no problems. He also used a head harness from which he suspended a plate and worked his neck that way. You can find them online.
Old 03-30-23, 11:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Looking at your "hip angle closed", angle from leg at top of pedal stroke to torso:

Typical recommended "hip angle closed" is around 45 degrees. Yours appears to be about 34 degrees. Quite low. You're probably giving up watts to accomplish this small hip angle.

Then there's shoulder angle:

Recommended range is typically 85-90 degrees. Yours looks like about 82 degrees, slightly low.

Old 03-30-23, 11:12 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't forget to consider the helmet you wear too. Some come too low on your brow or are too far away from your forehead and block the view making you have to lift your head higher. Visors can do the same thing.
This is precisely why I always ditch the visor on my helmets before the first time I use them.
Old 03-30-23, 02:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Looking at your "hip angle closed", angle from leg at top of pedal stroke to torso:
Typical recommended "hip angle closed" is around 45 degrees. Yours appears to be about 34 degrees. Quite low. You're probably giving up watts to accomplish this small hip angle.

Then there's shoulder angle:
Recommended range is typically 85-90 degrees. Yours looks like about 82 degrees, slightly low.
Thank you, very much.
Hip angle closed, losing watts = as admitted, hands on hoods & slightly higher upper body yields more watts (possibly?!?, ).
It is also true that my more normal position in the drops would not have the forearms level. (maybe, just maybe I was posing for the camera buddy, I wasn't traveling at 30mph, ha)

Shoulder angle = narrow bars and decades trying for a small frontal on a 6'1" frame.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-30-23 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-30-23, 02:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@genejockey - Good comment. One point I have repeatedly made on these Forums, is that a range of positions on the bike should be comfortable under power. There are some exceptions, such as time trialing - where a single power/aero position is optimized for given race distances.

I would maintain there are conditions where aero positioning over optimal power output is faster,... besides high speed descending. Maybe.

Heck, we all know that training the engine to be better is the point for most of us. But sometimes efficiency helps.

The main priority for all non-racing cyclists should be to ride free of pain, regularly, with a smile on their face. The rest is gravy.
Old 03-30-23, 07:03 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Heck, I'd buy him a beer if he could ride even 5 miles in that scrunch! Maybe even a pack of bar tape....
???? Everyone knows I ran this bike in a 20K TT last summer and averaged 19.5mph, and I practiced the TT distance on this bike probably fifty times and put almost 2000 miles on it last season including some fifty to sixty mile rides. It is the most comfortable bike I have as far as position goes. But then most people in our society never learn that everyone else is not them.......

My bike setup has nothing to do with this thread anyway, I made the point that with time in an aero position it becomes natural and no problem for a rider at all once they are used to it and develop the muscles etc. it needs, and that is indisputable.
Old 03-30-23, 08:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

???? Everyone knows I ran this bike in a 20K TT last summer and averaged 19.5mph .
Not everyone. You may well have ridden that thing 12(!) miles but you didn't do it in that scrunch you pictured. Looking at Wildwood's pics, it seems likely he could ride like that for some distance. You are correct that your setup has nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 03-30-23 at 08:21 PM. Reason: be nice
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-30-23, 10:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Hate to tell you that an analysis figured that if Laurent Fignon didn’t have a pony tail, he would have won the TdF. So you can probably forget body position

Old 03-31-23, 07:04 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

???? Everyone knows I ran this bike in a 20K TT last summer and averaged 19.5mph, and I practiced the TT distance on this bike probably fifty times and put almost 2000 miles on it last season including some fifty to sixty mile rides. It is the most comfortable bike I have as far as position goes. But then most people in our society never learn that everyone else is not them.......

My bike setup has nothing to do with this thread anyway, I made the point that with time in an aero position it becomes natural and no problem for a rider at all once they are used to it and develop the muscles etc. it needs, and that is indisputable.
These two statements contradict each other. You say not everyone is you. Correct. Then you go on to paint a broad brush implying that if it works for you, it is "natural" for everyone else. I myself do stretches every day and while that helps, I know I will never be as hyper flexible as some who have naturally long tendons.

Which is it, beng1 ?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-31-23, 08:00 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
My head is usually positioned to get the maximum amount of airflow to my lungs. That's the main reason I can't ride a bent, or drive a car gangster style.
Old 03-31-23, 08:52 AM
prj71

The "just Google it" reply was never polite or very useful, and it went out of fashion in the 2000s.

Post better.
No. Reading from some experts is better than 40 "opinions" on the matter.

What's out of fashion these days is forums. This place being one of the exceptions. Lots of other forums I used to participate on are now ghost towns thanks to Facebucks.
Old 03-31-23, 09:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

What's out of fashion these days is forums. This place being one of the exceptions. Lots of other forums I used to participate on are now ghost towns thanks to Facebucks.
Yep, forums are now mostly old guys. Things will get crazier with our inevitable cognitive decline.
Old 03-31-23, 09:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

No, "just Google it" is no different that "do your own research, you lazy person".

A helpful reply is "I have looked into this subject and found an expert opinion that is relevant. Here is a pertinent quote from that expert's article, along with a link to the full article."

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-31-23, 09:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,865 Times in 3,011 Posts

My 13 year old daughter informs me that Facebook is for the oldies. It's all about Insta and TikTok apparently. I don't bother with any of them. I do have a Facebook account just so I can follow the odd discussion group, but I find Facebook threads are too much of a random mess and I soon lose interest.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-31-23, 09:45 AM
prj71

No, "just Google it" is no different that "do your own research, you lazy person".

A helpful reply is "I have looked into this subject and found an expert opinion that is relevant. Here is a pertinent quote from that expert's article, along with a link to the full article."
I mean if a person can't look up "Proper Head Position while Cycling" then yeah...it's kind of lazy. And you made my point...You just explained what said person could have done themselves.

Similar to some Facebook fishing groups I'm in. A plethora of knowledge exists on google of where and how to fish....Yet people post in the group..."Where should I go fishing" That's lazy. Just put boots on the ground and explore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.