Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cadence and Speed sensor

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cadence and Speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 02:23 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Cadence and Speed sensor

wondering if anyone has used one of these before? and how nice the cadence signal/data is?

https://www.rei.com/product/201138/b...l-combo-sensor

i currently have this:
https://www.rei.com/product/111062/w...cadence-sensor

it seems to have gotten noisier recently, even with a changed battery requiring a lot of filtering. lately on the indoor trainer my cadence changes from 60 to 170 in just a few peddle strokes. i'm generally not that quick.
Old 02-25-24, 02:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
if the one you are using is 3+ years old, it's probably due for a replacement. If it is not over a year old, contact the OEM. The bont seems to bulky & could be easier to break.
Old 02-25-24, 04:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I've used the Wahoo Blue SC cadence/speed sensor for 5 years or so without much difficulty. Sometimes - rarely - the sensor rotates and gets too far from one magnet or another, and I lose the data until I stop and adjust the sensor.

Also, I use neodymium magnets. It's a PITA to change the batteries, because I use zip ties to attach the sensor to the chain stay. It's ugly, though, and sometimes I wonder if I'm at risk of it falling into the spokes. OTOH, I don't think my arthritic fingers can attach a speed sensor to a hub, so this is the best compromise I could come up with.
Old 02-25-24, 06:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Noisier? I guess you mean signal noise and are getting a lot of spurious readings. Don't know what to say for that.

I have a very old Garmin GSC-10 speed and cadence sensor that looks sort of similar to the Bontrager one you linked. Some users had issues trying to keep the magnets line up with the proper sensor. Mine for the most part was never an issue for me. Don't know if Bontrager works the same or not. But I was always a little annoyed cleaning my bike with that thing sitting on the stay. But I put up with it for almost 15 years. It still works, but is no longer used. If cleaning your bike is a thing for you, you might just get the Garmin or Wahoo combo sensors that are more hidden.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=speed+sensor

Or if your cadence sensor works well enough, just get the wheel sensor by itself from Garmin or Wahoo.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/641230

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...h-speed-sensor
Old 02-25-24, 07:09 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I use the XOSS speed and cadence sensors and after every couple of uses I have the same problem if I don't pull the battery and put it back in-kinda like a hard reboot. Then they work flawlessly for a few rides. Then repeat the process. If I know I;m going for a personal best that day I will do the reset before the ride irregardless. Or maybe you're just working it
Old 02-26-24, 06:12 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I've been using the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2, with zero drama. I use them with a Bontrager RIDEtime Elite (ANT+) for display, but I also "record the ride" using Cyclemeter on a phone (Bluetooth) that stays in my jersey pocket.

Again, zero drama with these, and I love not having to deal with magnets on a wheel spoke and on a crank arm.

The two Garmin sensors together in a bundle are currently $59.49 at Bike Tires Direct.

I have also used the chainstay-mounted Bontrager combo sensor linked to in the opening post, for thousands of miles, and it worked fine. It does have the inconvenience of requiring magnets. For the wheel speed sensor, that can involve a little bit of fiddling when removing and replacing the wheel, but the arm in which the sensor is mounted swivels, which gives some adjustability, and the magnet can be moved up and down the spoke. For the cadence sensor, it may involve getting a specific magnet, or doing some sort of hack, in order to get the magnet to pass close enough to the sensor. It depends on the geometry of the crank and the chainstay.
Old 02-26-24, 08:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My old GSC-10 finally quit working, after 10 or 15 years.
The new hub mounted Garmin is so much easier, no magnets. It was dropping out briefly during rides this winter. I have it on the front hub, so there's no radio signal blockage.

I tested it indoors, spinning the wheel, and it was reading 0,0,0,7 mph, 6.8mph, 0,0, 6 mph. Mostly zero mphs. A new battery didn't help. rebooting my Edge didn't help. But unpairing it from the Edge and re-pairing fixed it. It's been fine for a month now.

WAIT. I just spun the wheel again, and it's back to reading mostly zero mph. GRRR.