Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Price of a good fit?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Price of a good fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 03:25 PM
Goriot

Bikes: CAAD 9 Tiagra, DaVinci Madrid, DaVinci Oslo, CAAD 10 (one day)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Price of a good fit?

At my LBS (higher end road shop), a basic fit is upwards of 200$ CDN, and the formal fit is around 350. This seems like a lot to me, especially since the fit comes free with a new bike (is this included in the cost of the bike???).

I'm wondering if people have had better fits for reasonable prices, especially if you look on craigslist etc, vs going to your LBS.
thanks
Old 08-09-15, 06:09 PM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Nashville, TN USA about $100-125 for a basic fit and $200-250 for a BG, video capture, etc.
Old 08-16-15, 07:58 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I just paid $160 for a complete measure and fit on my bike.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 08-16-15, 08:15 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Goriot
I'm wondering if people have had better fits for reasonable prices, especially if you look on craigslist
It never occurred to me to sell my old fit on CL.
PM me and I'll sell you my Vintage Fit from '82 that is still in excellent condition on genuine Fit Kit sheets for $50US.

-Bandera
Old 08-23-15, 10:19 AM
rawklobster

Bikes: Brompton M6R Raw, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, ICE Trike with Rohloff (SOLD) - Pacific Coast Highway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're in Canada, and close to a MEC, some locations (Toronto for sure) have bike fitting for a reasonable price, and you can put the money towards the purchase of a bike. $75 and $125 depending on how much you want measured.
Old 08-23-15, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Out here, small town , they have a trainer stand , you pedal and are asked how does it feel .

then if desired you buy a different stem , and some adjustments are made.. wrenches deployed,

same as we did 30 years ago in other small Ma&Pa shops. no charge .. but it was part of the new bike sales.

I suppose now you would call it Low end but still a friendly shop..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-15 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 09:22 AM
Goriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.
Might try MEC.

Just want to have a basic fit done as I haven't had it done for my road bike for a few years, after even allowing other people to ride it and adjust things themselves, and find that I get shoulder/neck pain after longer, 50k+, rides.
Old 09-05-15, 11:39 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc V
Here in Nashville, TN USA about $100-125 for a basic fit and $200-250 for a BG, video capture, etc.
I live in Nashville. Where is the best place around here to get a proper fit? There are a couple of LBS that say they will do it, but I'm not sure how good it will be. Want to get results without wasting my money on something useless.
Old 09-05-15, 02:21 PM
Possum Roadkill

Bikes: Giant TCR, Santana Team Scandium, Co-Motion Equator, Giant NRS Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.
Might try MEC.

Just want to have a basic fit done as I haven't had it done for my road bike for a few years, after even allowing other people to ride it and adjust things themselves, and find that I get shoulder/neck pain after longer, 50k+, rides.
You don't just want a basic fit. What you really want is to not be in pain anymore. If your bike has already had a basic fit then maybe another "basic fit" isn't going to solve the problem. I recently wrote this concerning just on the handlebars role in the bike fit process:

Step Up to the Bar

I didn't discuss handlebar width and only briefly touched on the importance of the rest of the bike fit process. Fitting a bike properly is a long process that is best done by someone with years of experience.

THEY DESERVE TO BE PAID WELL FOR THEIR TIME!

Off hand, I'd say that your problem is either that you are using a visor on your helmet, your stem is too long, or you have your saddle angled down to the point where you slide off and need to push yourself backwards with your arms, or a combination of these.

I have years of experience fitting bicycles. Customers would show up for bicycle fittings and leave when they found out that I was not working that day. I am no longer employed doing this because too many people where I live think even $50 plus necessary parts is just too much to spend on a bicycle fit. I'm sorry if I sound a little angry and frustrated, but I've just been handed the "just want a basic bike fit" line one too many times by customers holding a very expensive smartphone in their hands.
Old 09-05-15, 10:04 PM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard Lynn at Gran Fondo, Todd at Endeavor Performance and possibly Acme Multisports are good places for a fitting with Todd having perhaps the best reputation.
Old 09-09-15, 12:01 AM
Goriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Possum Roadkill
You don't just want a basic fit. What you really want is to not be in pain anymore. If your bike has already had a basic fit then maybe another "basic fit" isn't going to solve the problem. I recently wrote this concerning just on the handlebars role in the bike fit process:

Step Up to the Bar

I didn't discuss handlebar width and only briefly touched on the importance of the rest of the bike fit process. Fitting a bike properly is a long process that is best done by someone with years of experience.

THEY DESERVE TO BE PAID WELL FOR THEIR TIME!

Off hand, I'd say that your problem is either that you are using a visor on your helmet, your stem is too long, or you have your saddle angled down to the point where you slide off and need to push yourself backwards with your arms, or a combination of these.

I have years of experience fitting bicycles. Customers would show up for bicycle fittings and leave when they found out that I was not working that day. I am no longer employed doing this because too many people where I live think even $50 plus necessary parts is just too much to spend on a bicycle fit. I'm sorry if I sound a little angry and frustrated, but I've just been handed the "just want a basic bike fit" line one too many times by customers holding a very expensive smartphone in their hands.

I really respect that answer. I definitely understand the position of wanting renumeration for a technical skill that takes a long time to master but is often unappreciated. New bikes come with a fit which I think is fair and good deal that it isn't a huge fee added on after purchase. 350$ still seems really high, but I will look into it.. On shorter rides I still feel great on the bike
Old 09-09-15, 01:40 AM
Kertrek

Bikes: Trek 7000, Specialized Allez & Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with fitting at Performance Bike? I called the nearest store and it costs about $70 and uses a trainer and takes about an hour. I got my first road bike and I can afford $70. When I got my bike (at another shop), pretty much all I got was a top tube clearance, and saddle height check.
Old 09-09-15, 11:04 AM
Possum Roadkill

Bikes: Giant TCR, Santana Team Scandium, Co-Motion Equator, Giant NRS Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really respect that answer. I definitely understand the position of wanting renumeration for a technical skill that takes a long time to master but is often unappreciated. New bikes come with a fit which I think is fair and good deal that it isn't a huge fee added on after purchase. 350$ still seems really high, but I will look into it.. On shorter rides I still feel great on the bike
If you knew how much a live motion capture system costs, $350 might not seem so expensive. This is the price that Retül recommends. The shop I work at was charging half that for a motion capture fit and still some people weren't happy with the price. Retül fits were regularly done for free with expensive bicycle sales.

Years ago when I was hospitalized and had to have surgery, I remember finding out that the price of the plastic dish I threw up in was $80. Nobody ever seems to complain that much about ridiculous medical charges like this.

Go to a shop and have a talk with whoever does their fittings. Find out exactly what their fit entails so you can see if they are really offering a fit that is worth what they are charging. If they are charging $350, that should involve a motion capture system. A fit that doesn't involve motion capture shouldn't be over $160 but may be closer to $80. I'm not suggesting you should just blindly hand over $350. When you go to shop and have someone show you their fit station, that should give you an idea of whether they are offering a service worth what they are charging.
Old 09-18-15, 04:59 PM
e30jean

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kertrek
Has anyone had any experience with fitting at Performance Bike? I called the nearest store and it costs about $70 and uses a trainer and takes about an hour. I got my first road bike and I can afford $70. When I got my bike (at another shop), pretty much all I got was a top tube clearance, and saddle height check.
I bought 2 bikes at local PB shop, both fittings were very simple/basic. No trainer was used, at most it took 15 minutes. No offers/options were given for a more in depth fitting.
Old 09-18-15, 05:09 PM
BluGnat
Happy Hack

Bikes: '14 Giant MTB and a 2018 BMC Alpenchallenge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At a LBS here, my husband just paid $250 for a 2 hour fit a couple weeks ago (that was one of the cheap ones). It was amazing - he was videoed from the front and side, and the time and attention he received was really cool. He's got a bum knee (meniscus et al., going on his fourth surgery here within the next year probably) so we figured it was worth the price. The fitter was amazing, and the before/after difference was very, very clear visually, even for a hack like me.

Performance offers a $60 bike fit for people who purchase their bikes there. I'll probably go with that one - I don't have any biomechanical issues, so I figure it's OK to go cheaper on mine. It's at least a start. If aches and pains happen, I'll spring for the $250.
Old 09-23-15, 05:59 AM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are the options at my LBS:

[h=2]In-Gear Fitting[/h]This fitting focuses on overall comfort and control:
  • 20-40 minutes, $100
  • Dynamic fitting session (in trainer)
  • Level saddle
  • Seat height
  • KOPS (knee over pedal spindle)
  • Cockpit evaluation with stem flip or swap

[h=2]Ride Ready Fitting[/h]A truly custom fit that helps anyone ride faster, longer, and in greater comfort while greatly reducing the chance of injury:
  • 45–90 minutes, $200
  • Rider interview
  • Flexibility assessment
  • Dynamic fitting session (in trainer)
  • Body Geometry FIT DATA video capture of rider's pedaling motion
  • Basic cleat fit
  • Level saddle
  • Seat height
  • KOPS (knee over pedal spindle)
  • Torso angle derived from flexibility assessment
  • Dynamic cockpit analysis with adjustable fit stem or size cycle
[h=2]Ultimate Ride Ready Fitting[/h]Our most comprehensive, pro-level fit:
  • 1.5–2.5 hours, $300
  • This dynamic fitting provides the highest level of custom fitting to your body, resulting in maximum increases in speed, endurance, and comfort.
  • The Ultimate Ride Ready Fitting combines the Ride Ready Fitting services described above as well as pedal stroke neutralization.
  • Includes Body Geometry FIT DATA video capture

I signed up for the basic fit, but ended up with something in-between that and the ride ready fitting. I got everything except for the video and flexibility assessment. It was well worth my time and money.