Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New tires, can't ride with no hands anymore?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21, 11:36 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

I just swapped my Teravail Cannonball (Light and Supple) 42'a for a pair of new Teravail Rutlands (durable casing) 47's. First thing I noticed is that on the asphalt sections of the trail, I can't ride with no hands anymore. I had no problem riding no hands on the Cannonballs. Now the front wheel wants to veer left, or veer right...but won't stay in center. I gave up trying.

I did also install a new headset, but that seems fine, not too loose, not too tight, wheel swings freely from side to side, with no rocking with the brake test.

Has anyone else experienced this after changing tires? The Rutlands seem to roll on the center section, I noticed that the wet track I was laying down on the asphalt was much narrower than the tire, but I don't see why that would matter. The min pressure on the Rutlands are 40psi. I have them set up tubeless, and ran them at 35psi. The Cannonballs, (also tubeless at 40 min psi) I ran at about 38.

Links to tires:

https://teravail.com/tires/rutland#TR2669

https://teravail.com/tires/cannonball#TR2681

Last edited by Wattsup; 01-23-21 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 01:00 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Put the old tires back on and test to confirm it is not the headset.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-23-21, 01:29 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by katsup
Put the old tires back on and test to confirm it is not the headset.
That would be definitive, but it would also be a chore....they're tubeless. I don't see how I could possibly have screwed up the headset. The cups seated perfectly, put in new bearings, greased everything properly. I left the old star nut in the steerer. The wheel moves easily, flops easily from side to side when I pull the bike up by the top tube.. I put the brake on and try to rock the bike back and forth. No steerer movement, even putting my fingers on the seams. The wheel seems true, doesn't wobble in relation to the inside of the fork. I did remove the the calipers, but the calipers were easily adjusted after the reinstall to have no rubbing on the disk. The bearings in the wheel are relatively new, were installed by the LBS, with new spokes. The bearings seem ok to me, wheel spins forever, and there's no movement in the wheel at all, side to side, that I can feel when I grab it with my hand and try to rock it side to side.

I gave the spokes a finger-flick test. I don't think I'm experienced enough to recognize anything but a really loose spoke.....a buzz. A few of the spokes are deeper than others, but again, I don't have enough experience to judge that.

There's no shimmy in the front wheel when I ride. It's just that the front wheel doesn't find a stable center line. It wants to flop to one side or the other. I didn't see if it was *impossible* to ride no hands. I did manage do it for a couple of seconds, so with more practice, I might be able to do it more successfully, but I doubt it. I was able to ride with no hands very easily with the old tire.

Last edited by Wattsup; 01-23-21 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 01:50 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
That would be definitive, but it would also be a chore....they're tubeless.
You may be able to test with just the old front tire. It would help isolate the cause and be faster than looking for answers here.

In any case, good luck.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-23-21, 01:54 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by katsup
You may be able to test with just the old front tire. It would help isolate the cause and be faster than looking for answers here.

In any case, good luck.
I just spoke to someone else with a lot of experience, and he said that new tires are often difficult to ride with no hands...too sticky, too good a grip. He said as the tires wears a bit and the grip lessens, it will become easier.

Who've thunk!
Likes For Wattsup:
Old 01-23-21, 01:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,086 Posts
That's a weird one to me. From both unicycling and no-hands riding, I've learned that wide grippy tires are hard to control on asphalt, but because they don't want to change direction. It takes a lot of english to force a turn, and when it does break loose it's more turn than you want.

I suppose if you were accustomed to manhandling a sticky tire, going to a less sticky tire might seem uncontrollable.
Old 01-23-21, 02:00 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by downtube42
That's a weird one to me. From both unicycling and no-hands riding, I've learned that wide grippy tires are hard to control on asphalt, but because they don't want to change direction. It takes a lot of english to force a turn, and when it does break loose it's more turn than you want.

I suppose if you were accustomed to manhandling a sticky tire, going to a less sticky tire might seem uncontrollable.
Well, the proof is in the pudding as they say. A little time will time. I don't think the bike is unsafe, so I'll just put a bunch more miles on them. The tires have quite an aggressive tread, with a special pattern in the center to help the bike roll well on asphalt. Maybe it has to do with that too.

I'll report back...
Old 01-23-21, 03:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 668 Posts
You switched to bigger tires. That would increase trail, and wheel flop factor is proportional to trail. May be what is changing the feel when riding no hands.

Otto
Old 01-23-21, 03:09 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by ofajen
You switched to bigger tires. That would increase trail, and wheel flop factor is proportional to trail. May be what is changing the feel when riding no hands.

Otto
Yes, that occurred me, although it was quite a change...from being able to with no problem, to basically it being nearly impossible.
Old 01-23-21, 03:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,002 Times in 1,929 Posts
adjusting the psi in the tires might yield favorable results. have you tried that?
Old 03-21-21, 07:46 PM
Wattsup

I just spoke to someone else with a lot of experience, and he said that new tires are often difficult to ride with no hands...too sticky, too good a grip. He said as the tires wears a bit and the grip lessens, it will become easier.

Who've thunk!

And that was the answer: new tires! 50 miles later, no issues riding hands-free!
Old 03-21-21, 09:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 5,700 Times in 2,942 Posts
And that was the answer: new tires! 50 miles later, no issues riding hands-free!
Just like new car/truck tires are squirrelly until broken in.