Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Dollar Per Mile

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Dollar Per Mile

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 12:02 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I guess a dollar a mile is a little bit far fetched. It does seem, to me, like 3500 miles is very far away though. As for now lets just say I've set that goal for myself instead of the dollar per mile. That once I hit 3,500 miles ill be able to get myself a 3500 bike.

As for adding the 1250.00 to the price, I thought about it and was afraid one of you would come out with it... I dont think I have as much patience for that but I will decide that once the time gets closer.

Now as for the bikes! Cannondale or FELT?
Old 08-16-12, 12:45 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Hey guys,

I've been riding for about a month now and already itching for a new bike since i've learned tons in this forum about bicycles, components and everything related. I've decided to come up with a new system that hope makes riding a bicycle motivational and satisfying. I am thinking about "putting a dollar in a jar" for every mile I do. For example, so far I have about 200 miles this month which means that I have 200 dollars saved for my next purchase. If I buy something for the bicycle the amount in the jar decreases.

I am thinking about 2 bycicles when I reach the milleage. The Cannondale Supersix Ultegra or the FELT F4. Both carbon with ultegra components and about 4 pounds lighter than my Z85. I think it is a descent step up after 3500 miles.

What do you guys think?

Luis
You sound like a hotshot (hothead, whatever the correct English term is). No offence meant. Really. You have been riding for a month?

It would be nice to be experienced and sure of what you like before spending big money on a bike (2nd hand selling it will be a big financial loss). You might decide you prefer woods and get a tracking bike, or a MTB, who knows?

I'd meet other bikers, try different bikes. Perhaps even join a club and RIDE. Then, after a year, decide.
Old 08-16-12, 01:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If you want to be logical about it, the way I look at it is 50 cents per mile for miles I'd otherwise be driving. Fun rides or training miles don't count - unless there was something more expensive that I'd honestly be doing with all those hours, if I didn't bike. Then whatever is in excess of what I spent on the bike plus tires, chains etc is tallied up as extra, or mad money.

If I was trying to build incentive for riding I'd also subtract 50 cents for every mile I drove a car, and then apply maybe half of what's left to the new bike fund (since I want to come out ahead, not break even). So: 50 cents per mile up to the cost of current bike plus consumables, minus 50 cents per mile driven, and then 25 cents per mile for utility and commuting rides, and organized events and races (if I raced).
Old 08-16-12, 01:51 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Riding for a month, haven't even worn out a cassette, and you already want a new bike? I don't think you have a clue what cycling is actually about.
Old 08-16-12, 01:54 PM
tanguy frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a dumb idea.
Just ride your bike.
When you break it, get a new one.
If you want to get a new one before you break the old one, go for it.
If you need more money, work more or get a higher paying job or cut back on other expenses.
Old 08-16-12, 02:00 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I don't think you have a clue what cycling is actually about.
I'm sure I dont. Everybody learns at their own pace. I understand my complete lack of knowledge due to my time being on a bicycle. It is good to dream every now and then though. For all I care I could go buy it tomorrow and wouldnt have to explain myself to anybody. I am just trying to ride more and make it fun with a sense of extra reward.
Old 08-16-12, 02:03 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tanguy frame
This is a dumb idea.
I do think people have a very harding time understanding others. If it isnt what they think is right then it must be wrong. NOPE I do not think its a crappy idea but I do not think yours is crappy either. I respect your opinion but I consider mine to be valid as well.
Old 08-16-12, 02:35 PM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sure I dont. Everybody learns at their own pace. I understand my complete lack of knowledge due to my time being on a bicycle. It is good to dream every now and then though. For all I care I could go buy it tomorrow and wouldnt have to explain myself to anybody. I am just trying to ride more and make it fun with a sense of extra reward.
You're barking up the wrong tree if you ask me, but feel free to 2ndgen it up and swag out on a bike you put hardly any miles on.
Old 08-16-12, 02:53 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
You're barking up the wrong tree if you ask me, but feel free to 2ndgen it up and swag out on a bike you put hardly any miles on.
True. I did however believe that 3,500 miles is pretty good though. Well thank you for pointing it out.
Old 08-16-12, 03:47 PM
pdedes
ka matι ka matι ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
it's about 2 bucks/ride for me. buck/mile would break me.
Old 08-16-12, 04:16 PM
Roarau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been riding for about a month now and already itching for a new bike since i've learned tons in this forum about bicycles, components and everything related. I've decided to come up with a new system that hope makes riding a bicycle motivational and satisfying. I am thinking about "putting a dollar in a jar" for every mile I do. For example, so far I have about 200 miles this month which means that I have 200 dollars saved for my next purchase. If I buy something for the bicycle the amount in the jar decreases.

I am thinking about 2 bycicles when I reach the milleage. The Cannondale Supersix Ultegra or the FELT F4. Both carbon with ultegra components and about 4 pounds lighter than my Z85. I think it is a descent step up after 3500 miles.

What do you guys think?

Luis
In my humble opinion, you should ride more than 3,500 before getting a brand new bike. I set goals for myself, like ride 2,000 miles for a new seat, or ride 4,000 more for a new jersey. 3,500 for a whole new setup seems a bit low.
Old 08-16-12, 04:30 PM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by back4more
I think the first thing I question is the tons of things you have learned on the 41
Old 08-16-12, 05:02 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Now as for the bikes! Cannondale or FELT?
Do you really expect us to spend the next 2 years discussing that topic with you? Particularly when you still have no clue about bikes?

Stop obsessing over stuff, and just Ride Your Bike. It's an excellent bike -- it's better than what the top pros were using about 10 years ago. It can do everything you need it to do, and more, for 10 or 20 years. Ride it into the ground, and get enjoyment from actually cycling rather than buying stuff.
Old 08-16-12, 05:09 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Do you really expect us to spend the next 2 years discussing that topic with you? Particularly when you still have no clue about bikes?

Stop obsessing over stuff, and just Ride Your Bike. It's an excellent bike -- it's better than what the top pros were using about 10 years ago. It can do everything you need it to do, and more, for 10 or 20 years. Ride it into the ground, and get enjoyment from actually cycling rather than buying stuff.
Got it
Old 08-16-12, 05:31 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And you'll regret buying a cheapo $3500 bike anyhow... Because you'll really want a $10000 bike by the time you ride 3500 miles.
Old 08-16-12, 05:44 PM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If everyone around here budgeted $1/mile ridden annually to their next bike, I'd buy Huffy stock.
Old 08-16-12, 06:36 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
And you'll regret buying a cheapo $3500 bike anyhow... Because you'll really want a $10000 bike by the time you ride 3500 miles.
https://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nic-treadmill/
Old 08-16-12, 06:40 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humboldt'sroads
If everyone around here budgeted $1/mile ridden annually to their next bike, I'd buy Huffy stock.
Old 08-16-12, 06:40 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool, whatever it takes.
Old 08-16-12, 07:48 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta say I am pretty happy with my bike and I am giving it all I can. Im trying to do 80 to 100 miles per week. Today went with a pretty good cyclist and did a good 17.7 miles in 1:27. The average riding speed was 13.6mph and almost 1300 feet climb. Gotta say its a tough sport and i know he was taking it easy on me. I am happy to be giving all I have. Now ive upped the mileage to 5000 miles or 1.5 years before getting my next bike. I do appreciate the feedback guys. Puts riding on a different perspective since I really have no clue.
Old 08-16-12, 08:16 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I think it's a good plan as well. For many of us, getting new equipment, the latest technology, the things to make us faster, etc. is as much of the enjoyment as the exercise, competition, and setting/achieving performance goals.

Using a new bike to motivate you to ride is fine if that's what it takes to get you out. Not everybody can go out and push themselves just for the sake of riding. You'll also see improvements in your pace and distance, which should keep you coming back as well.

There's also a couple of other benefits to your plan - you end up paying cash for the bike and you have time to look at everything that interests you, and even test ride lots of bikes.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-12, 08:20 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I think it's a good plan as well. For many of us, getting new equipment, the latest technology, the things to make us faster, etc. is as much of the enjoyment as the exercise, competition, and setting/achieving performance goals.

Using a new bike to motivate you to ride is fine if that's what it takes to get you out. Not everybody can go out and push themselves just for the sake of riding. You'll also see improvements in your pace and distance, which should keep you coming back as well.

There's also a couple of other benefits to your plan - you end up paying cash for the bike and you have time to look at everything that interests you, and even test ride lots of bikes.

Good luck.
Its gotta be so much fun test riding a bunch of bikes and knowing what they are. Also, riding them like I should! Cant wait for that day to come.
Old 08-17-12, 02:06 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
You seem to have more $ than sense. People buy used bikes on craigslist to see if they are going to like biking, not $1200 bikes. That Felt is a great bike and you won't be any faster on a $3500 bike. If you could do a blind riding test, you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two bikes. You will take a big loss if you try to sell the Z85. Bikes, like cars, lose a lot of value once you drive them off the lot.

There are so many things you can do to become a better rider that don't involve a new bike. Read about training. Keep riding and when you are fast enough and have enough cycling skills, find a group to ride with.

Kudos to saving money for buying new toys, though.
Old 08-17-12, 02:44 AM
Grim Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what people are trying to say here is that you should enjoy what you have.

What comes next, and what you should be focused on, is building strength and endurance. The buying of a bike is like a temporary high, the thing that will bind you to the sport is more about your body. If you do this, and are even a little serious about it, a day will come where you feel that you would benefit from making the next step and going for better gear. It will be something driven by need and through a natural progression of you as a cyclist and an athlete (be enthusiastic about that prospect), and not so much by you just wanting to get a new toy. The latter is no sin by the way, we are all guilty of this. Most of us try to keep it in check, or cant afford to indulge ourselves though.

One other thing you should not underestimate is the price of good gear. I do not know what you own, but it is possible that within the year you will still buy 50 euros worth of tools, 100 euros worth of bibs (likely more), if you ride through winter you will spend another 150 on tights, gloves, caps, base layers and what not. I recently helped a friend buying the basic necessities, and was surprised about how much money you are looking at if you include everything from floorpump with pressure meter to spare tubes. At this point your gear may do more for your comfort and how much you enjoy riding than swapping bikes.
Old 08-17-12, 03:48 AM
SlowOlympian

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roarau
In my humble opinion, you should ride more than 3,500 before getting a brand new bike. I set goals for myself, like ride 2,000 miles for a new seat, or ride 4,000 more for a new jersey. 3,500 for a whole new setup seems a bit low.
4,000 miles for a new jersey? I hope you started out with a good stock of shorts or I'd hate to ride behind you in a group!

Gotta say I am pretty happy with my bike and I am giving it all I can. Im trying to do 80 to 100 miles per week. Today went with a pretty good cyclist and did a good 17.7 miles in 1:27. The average riding speed was 13.6mph and almost 1300 feet climb. Gotta say its a tough sport and i know he was taking it easy on me. I am happy to be giving all I have. Now ive upped the mileage to 5000 miles or 1.5 years before getting my next bike. I do appreciate the feedback guys. Puts riding on a different perspective since I really have no clue.
Well, at 13.6 avg, you have some work to do! Ride what you have for now unless you're a dentist or surgeon. 5000 miles sounds like a better mark. Its easier than it seems, trust me. I rode around on a POS 42 lbs varsity for a few years before upgrading. once I did, I put in 4k-ish miles in a year. And yeah, you have a decent bike now, dream for a year and a half and then tell me how carbon fiber bikes with ultegra are, and then let me know what your next bike is going to be!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.