Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wellgo flat MTB pedals review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 09:51 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

Recently a cycling buddy sold me a pair of large Wellgo brand flat pedals for my Marin MTB. For the last dozen years I had some pedals on the bike that had the straps/stirrup setup. After banging my knee on the pavement a few Novembers ago and partially tearing the ACL, I was determined to get flat pedals on the bike as I have used on my road bikes for a number of years.

The Wellgo pedals were in nice shape, but I noticed the bearings were adjusted tight so the pedals did not spin well. I backed the spindle nuts off in the pedals, but the pedals do not have lock-nuts or locking nuts, so I hammered the spindle nuts a bit oval so when I put them back on the spindle threads they would stay tight, in effect they became self-locking nuts. After this the pedals spun very easily with much less friction, problem solved.

Because I have big feet, taking size 13 to 14 shoes, I like big pedals, and these Wellgo pedals are much bigger than the old pedals I had on the bike. I got them on the bike this morning and took it for a nice ride around my part of town, up and down a lot of snow-covered streets, and the pedals worked great. I felt safe knowing if the bike got squirrely on the ice or snow I would be able to instantly put either of my feet down for a save. It was great to be able to move my foot around freely and be rid of the straps and stirrups.

I think there are a lot of these pedals laying around used, and they probably can be had cheaply. I got this set used and for just a few dollars, but they were in really good shape with little sign of use. My local bike shop had similar pedals but of high-end brands for fifty dollars or more, these cost me a small fraction of that. We will see how long they hold up.

The old pedals with straps;

Likes For beng1:
Old 03-11-23, 12:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3677 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Here you go MTB stuff
Old 03-11-23, 06:45 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Does the pedal have the model number? Curious.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 03-11-23, 08:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
The more expensive pedals are that way for a reason, better bearings and bushings and also in many cases adjustable or removable pins and wider or larger platforms in some cases. Try the Stamp 1s from Crank Brothers and thank me later they don't cost a fortune but have the same dimensions as my favored Stamp 7s and have excellent quality bearings and bushings so they will last a while they swap the metal cage for composite and they also offer rebuild kits so you can keep them running long term. Those bigger platforms on the Large will be a treat to your feet. Much bigger than the current pedals

I would sell Wellgo's as a basic replacement likely a notch up from the test ride pedals the bike came with. If you like a bike always get good touch points for it, take care of it and it will take care of you!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-11-23, 09:19 PM
beng1
Banned

I did not post this in the MTB section because I do not think the pedals are MTB specific, I would use them on any bike, and may get another pair for my single-speed, I just happen to need them on the Marin first as it's pedals were the least comfortable of all my bikes.

The old pedals that were on the bike were very low-end plastic-bodied items I also got used over a dozen years ago and they never gave a problem and I never gave them any maintenance at all, so I am sure I will not have any problems with these Wellgo pedals either, they seem adequate from an engineering standpoint.

Sorry I saw no part number on the Wellgo pedals. But on Ebay I am pretty sure I saw the same pedal listed as a B087 and for $22 including shipping. These are aluminum, they also had plastic Wellgo pedals in a similar style in plastic for half that, but because I weight over 200 pounds, try to go with metal stuff whenever I can on larger pedals.
Old 03-12-23, 06:41 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Does the pedal have the model number? Curious.
I listed the part number in my last post above, but if I was going to pay full retail for a pedal, I see the "Stamp 1" pedals mentioned above are only about eight dollars more than buying these Wellgos, and they look like they may be considerably lighter and have more features.
Likes For beng1:
Old 03-12-23, 07:29 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I put the B087s on a couple of my builds, and have been quite pleased with them. Good grip, spin well, and inexpensive. I’m sure you could find some used laying around, but they are so cheap, why bother.
Tim

Old 03-12-23, 08:56 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I put the B087s on a couple of my builds, and have been quite pleased with them. Good grip, spin well, and inexpensive. I’m sure you could find some used laying around, but they are so cheap, why bother.
Tim

I have a set on my touring bike. I like that they are plenty aggressive to prevent slippage but won't eat you alive like some of the MTB peddles with sharper pins.
Old 03-12-23, 07:11 PM
beng1
Banned

I guess I got the number wrong, mine look more like the B249DU or MG-3, not the BO87, about the same price though and both alloy with the same cast in pins, mine look heavier than the BO87. Wellgo has a LOT of different pedals for sure, and who knows which are in production still and which are not. As usual I just buy whatever I find laying around locally and cheaply which looks like it will work for me. I am going to see if any local bike shops have a pair of the Stamp-1 pedals in stock that I can look at in person though.

Last edited by beng1; 03-12-23 at 07:14 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 03-12-23, 08:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
In my experience, Wellgo pedals are cheaply made and of mediocre to poor quality.

The same company that makes Wellgo pedals also makes Xpedo pedals, which are very high quality.

Xpedo makes flat pedals. But one pair of Xpedo pedals probably cost as much as the full stable of @beng1 road bikes.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-12-23, 08:54 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I use flats on all my road bikes. Not a fan of clipping in personally. But I have a hard time finding a flat pedal that is more road bike oriented. By that, I mean one that isn't the size of a dinner plate. I did find some smaller flats on Amazon from Venzo that I like very much. I will probably buy another pair or two for other bikes but I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-13-23, 03:10 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I guess I got the number wrong, mine look more like the B249DU or MG-3, not the BO87, about the same price though and both alloy with the same cast in pins, mine look heavier than the BO87. Wellgo has a LOT of different pedals for sure, and who knows which are in production still and which are not. As usual I just buy whatever I find laying around locally and cheaply which looks like it will work for me. I am going to see if any local bike shops have a pair of the Stamp-1 pedals in stock that I can look at in person though.
Your pedals, to me, resemble most the LU-A8.

Likes For BikeLite:
Old 03-13-23, 01:33 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by VegasJen
I use flats on all my road bikes. Not a fan of clipping in personally. But I have a hard time finding a flat pedal that is more road bike oriented. By that, I mean one that isn't the size of a dinner plate. I did find some smaller flats on Amazon from Venzo that I like very much. I will probably buy another pair or two for other bikes but I'm open to other suggestions as well.
On my road bikes I just use the metal pedals that came with bikes in the 70s, they have worked really well and some of them are pretty light;