Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Fuji Traverse 1.3 or Trek 8.4 DS - Your input is appreciated

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 12:41 PM
jerseytrvler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After riding the same bike, $99 1980 Sears Free Spirit 10 speed, for 36 years, it’s time to finally upgrade, I feel bad for my riding buddies who can’t keep up with me. I put on about 125 miles a week(but expect to increase it with the new bike) over 80% paved surfaces and 20% rail trials, some fields, sand (living at the Jersey Shore), hard packed dirt and gravel. I ride for exercise, stress release and for social interaction. I’m 63, a 2 time kidney transplant recipient, Papop to Kayla, semi-retired technology sales exec who drives limos because I get to meet people and drive really nice cars.

My adventure started out with me looking for more of a touring bike (Trek Verve 3, Cannondale Adventure 2) and my budget was about $650. After some research and discussing my riding habits and activities with my friends I decided to look at the dual-sport/hybrid category. I think this is the right category for me. Initial bikes, Cannondale Quick CX4, Trek FX 7.3, Trek DS 8.3, Fuji Traverse 1.5; never got to ride the Cannondale no dealer had one available unless I wanted to wait a week, road the Trek FX 7.3 but liked the Trek DS 8.3 much better, Fuji Traverse 1.5 was fun and looked very cool. The Fuji dealer suggested I try the Fuji Traverse 1.3 and it was all over except it’s way over my budget. I liked the bike and the upgrades and I deserve to have a good bike but was $200 over my budget.

This got me thinking in a whole new direction and maybe a few more dollars would be worth the investment and an increased pleasure/enjoyment return on investment. So I started looking at the Fuji Traverse 1.3, Jamis DXT Comp and the Trek 8.4 DS. There are no Jamis dealers in my area that carry that model they would have to order, I really, really liked the Fuji Traverse 1.3, then I rode the Trek 8.4 DS and I was blown away. You have to remember my only riding experience is on a 36 year old 10 speed Sears bicycle. I was overwhelmed and impressed with what the Trek allowed me to do. Now I was torn between the Fuji and the Trek.

Shimano Acera, Alivio, Bontrager, Altus, Deore, Tektro, double wall rims, 700 tires, 38c, 35c, 3x9, single lock on, suspension lock-out, all new to me but I am getting an education. My brother rides strictly road (Myrtle Beach, SC) and he said just get the one that rolls the nicest and feels the most comfortable but I think there is more to it.

I am leaning toward the Trek 8.4 DS but all things being equal I would take the Fuji Traverse 1.3 but all things aren’t equal. They ride about the same with the slight edge going to Trek, looks: I really like the Fuji but the Trek has red, both LBSs are really nice and very helpful and the same distance from my house, have not seen many reviews on the Fuji at all.

Any input or advice would be gladly appreciated. Take care, be well, live and enjoy life.

“we are all angels with but one wing, when we embrace we fly”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Free Spirit Bike 1980.jpg (103.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg
Bike 5-25-14.jpg (103.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-05-16, 01:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions to Hybrids.

Old 06-05-16, 03:40 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytrvler
After riding the same bike, $99 1980 Sears Free Spirit 10 speed, for 36 years, it’s time to finally upgrade, I feel bad for my riding buddies who can’t keep up with me. I put on about 125 miles a week(but expect to increase it with the new bike) over 80% paved surfaces and 20% rail trials, some fields, sand (living at the Jersey Shore), hard packed dirt and gravel. I ride for exercise, stress release and for social interaction. I’m 63, a 2 time kidney transplant recipient, Papop to Kayla, semi-retired technology sales exec who drives limos because I get to meet people and drive really nice cars.

My adventure started out with me looking for more of a touring bike (Trek Verve 3, Cannondale Adventure 2) and my budget was about $650. After some research and discussing my riding habits and activities with my friends I decided to look at the dual-sport/hybrid category. I think this is the right category for me. Initial bikes, Cannondale Quick CX4, Trek FX 7.3, Trek DS 8.3, Fuji Traverse 1.5; never got to ride the Cannondale no dealer had one available unless I wanted to wait a week, road the Trek FX 7.3 but liked the Trek DS 8.3 much better, Fuji Traverse 1.5 was fun and looked very cool. The Fuji dealer suggested I try the Fuji Traverse 1.3 and it was all over except it’s way over my budget. I liked the bike and the upgrades and I deserve to have a good bike but was $200 over my budget.

This got me thinking in a whole new direction and maybe a few more dollars would be worth the investment and an increased pleasure/enjoyment return on investment. So I started looking at the Fuji Traverse 1.3, Jamis DXT Comp and the Trek 8.4 DS. There are no Jamis dealers in my area that carry that model they would have to order, I really, really liked the Fuji Traverse 1.3, then I rode the Trek 8.4 DS and I was blown away. You have to remember my only riding experience is on a 36 year old 10 speed Sears bicycle. I was overwhelmed and impressed with what the Trek allowed me to do. Now I was torn between the Fuji and the Trek.

Shimano Acera, Alivio, Bontrager, Altus, Deore, Tektro, double wall rims, 700 tires, 38c, 35c, 3x9, single lock on, suspension lock-out, all new to me but I am getting an education. My brother rides strictly road (Myrtle Beach, SC) and he said just get the one that rolls the nicest and feels the most comfortable but I think there is more to it.

I am leaning toward the Trek 8.4 DS but all things being equal I would take the Fuji Traverse 1.3 but all things aren’t equal. They ride about the same with the slight edge going to Trek, looks: I really like the Fuji but the Trek has red, both LBSs are really nice and very helpful and the same distance from my house, have not seen many reviews on the Fuji at all.

Any input or advice would be gladly appreciated. Take care, be well, live and enjoy life.

I would strongly suggest you test ride the Giant Toughroad SLR2.

Have a read of my thread dedicated to it and in particular, watch the video that is included that shows the sort of terrain the Toughroad handles with aplomb.
Old 06-05-16, 06:00 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Wow, I am simply amazed on how good your 36 year old Sears bike looks. Ever thought about writing to Sears and showing them how great your ride is? What's strange is, I vaguely remember seeing that or something similar in Sears catalogs when I was 10 years old in the early 80's.

Ok, I personally...........would pick the RED bike!

I'm looking at the Fuji Traverse 1.3 at Performance Bikes. It's $750 and, well, honestly, the colors are.........hmmmm.... unique. Might look better in person:

Fuji Traverse 1.3 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike - 2016

But I will admit, that red Trek DS 8.4 is really nice looking. I have wondered at times if I should have gotten that bike rather than my Crosstrail, since the red is so not black.........

I've attempted to do some research on Fuji's as well, seems like they are not reviewed as often as so many other bikes. This is going to be a judgement call on you. You got to be happy with what you buy. But seeing you got so many years out of an inexpensive Sears bike, I'm betting your decision capabilities aren't all that bad. Happy shopping and enjoy your ride!

Oh and the Toughroad is really nice also! You are going to find many bikes available in this price range from many shops, Raleigh's, Specialized, Scott, Felt and many more. But you have to also shop the shop. You did state both local shops were nice. So, who offered you more? You may want to use that as part of your decision making process.

Last edited by travbikeman; 06-05-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 06:20 AM
jerseytrvler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ColonelSanders and Travbikeman for your replies and input. The Giant Toughroad seems like a great bike, I did watch the videos thank you but I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Trek 8.4 DS and the Fuji Traverse 1.3. I do like the red Trek but the Fuji in green seen live is pretty decent looking too and you don't see them everyday, maybe for a reason. But in my travels before I actually buy the bike if I get a chance to ride the Giant Toughroad I will certainly do it. I don't even know what company actually manufactured the Free Spirit from Sears but it would be fun to see their reaction.
Take care, be well, live and enjoy life.
"we are all angels with but one wing, when we embrace we fly"
Old 06-06-16, 06:48 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Hello JT,
I was up against the same choice a few years ago. We are close in age and probably riding, though I do more off road in general. I opted for the Fuji and have no regrets, put many miles on it since. I felt the Fuji had a slight edge in build quality, though I think Treck has a larger following among folks here. But you can't really go wrong either way. If the fit of both bikes feels right, go with your gut. And also check out the Giant if you can, and don't mind going a bit crazy with the choices

Good luck, and let us know how you make out

Last edited by bargeon; 06-06-16 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fix the initials
Old 06-06-16, 09:36 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Thanks ColonelSanders and Travbikeman for your replies and input. The Giant Toughroad seems like a great bike, I did watch the videos thank you but I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Trek 8.4 DS and the Fuji Traverse 1.3. I do like the red Trek but the Fuji in green seen live is pretty decent looking too and you don't see them everyday, maybe for a reason. But in my travels before I actually buy the bike if I get a chance to ride the Giant Toughroad I will certainly do it. I don't even know what company actually manufactured the Free Spirit from Sears but it would be fun to see their reaction.
Take care, be well, live and enjoy life.
"we are all angels with but one wing, when we embrace we fly"
I'm really curious to hear why you were so much more impressed by the Trek 8.4(that Red is a glorious colour), than the Trek 8.3?

In what will be my last attempt to push the Giant Toughroad SLR2, it is 4+lbs lighter than both the Trek and Fuji you are looking at.
Old 06-06-16, 05:53 PM
jerseytrvler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I'm really curious to hear why you were so much more impressed by the Trek 8.4(that Red is a glorious colour), than the Trek 8.3?

In what will be my last attempt to push the Giant Toughroad SLR2, it is 4+lbs lighter than both the Trek and Fuji you are looking at.
ColonelSanders thanks for the input much appreciated. Due to your passion for the Giant Toughroad SLR2, I found a LBS that carried Giant and Trek and I rode the Toughroad, Roam 1 and the Trek 8.4 DS. You are very right the Giant Toughroad SLR2 is a very nice bike with a lot of upgraded parts and how can you go wrong with a bike that has a built-in mudguard on the frame! The Giant Roam 1 also was nice but more of a road bike than I want. The Toughroad was a little more mountain bike than I wanted and the brake levers were not comfortable for me and the body geometry was off, I just could never get comfortable, the gears shifted very nicely and very smoothly, the 29x2 tires really gave me a smooth ride but the ride was a little hard and bumpy despite the carbon fork, a very nice feature though. You could feel the difference in the type and quality of bike between the Roam and Toughroad, the Toughroad was superior. The saddles were not very comfortable either, however I am used to a touring seat and I just have to get my butt in shape. Thanks for bringing the Giant Toughroad SLR2 to my attention.

I rode the Trek 8.4 DS and the comfort level and body geometry seem to fit me much better. The body position is a little more upright and my legs seem to be at a better angle for a more effective ride. The break levers were a little more comfortable as was the saddle. Overall the Trek just made me feel I was riding faster and was in more control.

Thanks, take care, be well, live and enjoy life.
Old 06-06-16, 05:54 PM
jerseytrvler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Hello JS,
I was up against the same choice a few years ago. We are close in age and probably riding, though I do more off road in general. I opted for the Fuji and have no regrets, put many mikes on it since. I felt the Fuji had a slight edge in build quality, though I think Treck has a larger following among folks here. But you can't really go wrong either way. If the fit of both bikes feels right, go with your gut. And also check out the Giant if you can, and don't mind going a bit crazy with the choices

Good luck, and let us know how you make out
Now it is between the Trek 8.4 DS and the Fuji Traverse 1.3 and Bargeon you are sooooo right, it is a very tough choice. In fact after riding the Trek 8.4 DS again today when I was test riding the Giant Toughroad SLR2 and the Giant Roam 1, I need to ride the Fuji again, I wish they were at the same LBS! I agree with you about the frame and feeling of the Fuji, it just feels more solid for some reason maybe because of the look and thickness of the frame. Whatever it is I need to ride the Fuji again before I buy my new ride. Plus I have not seen too many Fuji’s on the road but they really do look cool almost stealth like. I have to make sure the Fuji’s body geometry makes me feel as comfortable and as efficient as the Trek. I will keep you informed.

That brings up another question; how do you really test ride a bike in a parking lot or side street for about 15 minutes? Think I will post that to the general discussion group.

I’m glad you found happiness and satisfaction with your Fuji and that makes me feel better about my choices.

Thanks for your input, take care, be well, live and enjoy life.
Old 06-06-16, 06:17 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
By the way, the Fuji will probably need an adapter bar if you use a trunk mounted rack.

https://www.amazon.com/Saris-Crossbar...ck+adaptor+bar

I don't have a problem with this but for some it might be a deal killer.
Old 06-06-16, 07:10 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Now it is between the Trek 8.4 DS and the Fuji Traverse 1.3 and Bargeon you are sooooo right, it is a very tough choice. In fact after riding the Trek 8.4 DS again today when I was test riding the Giant Toughroad SLR2 and the Giant Roam 1, I need to ride the Fuji again, I wish they were at the same LBS! I agree with you about the frame and feeling of the Fuji, it just feels more solid for some reason maybe because of the look and thickness of the frame. Whatever it is I need to ride the Fuji again before I buy my new ride. Plus I have not seen too many Fuji’s on the road but they really do look cool almost stealth like. I have to make sure the Fuji’s body geometry makes me feel as comfortable and as efficient as the Trek. I will keep you informed.

That brings up another question; how do you really test ride a bike in a parking lot or side street for about 15 minutes? Think I will post that to the general discussion group.

I’m glad you found happiness and satisfaction with your Fuji and that makes me feel better about my choices.

Thanks for your input, take care, be well, live and enjoy life.
I now typically take a test ride on bikes for at least 2 miles. The quick parking lot ride is just that, quick and can only tell you so much. Longer rides help you figure out what you do and don't like on a bike.
Old 06-27-16, 05:21 PM
captronk

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Traverse,

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 2013 1.1d Traverse. I think it might be the first year they put a shock on it? I'm very comfy on the bike. I'm five seven 170. I use it on rail trails, the road-which i love. The tires I didn't like at first but they grew on me. I'm very happy with the bike.