Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Calories burned

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 10:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Cycling alone is not going to cause you to lose weight.
That seems to be the common wisdom, but I doubt that it is literally true.

Without any diet changes, cycling ~10 hours per week can elicit a deficit of ~6000 kCal. Why wouldn't that cause you to lose weight?

For some "real numbers" perspective, here's my 7-day stats from Training Peaks. I have to eat extra to maintain my weight:

Old 09-29-23, 10:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Will check that out. Thanks.

More on calories - I rode a very easy paced ride with a guy from my charity ride team, he's slow going and just starting to train. 20 miles @ 14mph. His apple Apps had him at 1200+ calories for the ride. Garmin with power meter had 560 - which falls in line with other easy rides. That is a huge delta.

And he was thinking that he could go home and eat whatever he wanted - because 1200+ calories.
I can only imagine his input data to the App was complete garbage. No way is it going to estimate a 1200 calorie burn for that sort of effort. Maybe it thought he was running, lol
Old 09-29-23, 10:30 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Strava doesn’t measure “Normalized Power” like Garmin. They have their own proprietary “Weighted Average Power” which for me always gives a lower value. There is no right or wrong here, they are both proprietary attempts to normalise average power to take account of how lumpy your terrain was.
I'm not sure how proprietary either is. Garmin NP seems to agree with NP as originally described by Coggan, and Strava "weighted power" seems to agree with Skiba's xP. Part of the issue is that TrainingPeaks claimed a trademark on the name "Normalized power" (which surprised me, since they didn't come up with that name -- um, I did) and wanted a licensing fee to use it.

Neither NP nor "weighted power" should be used for calorie (or Calorie) calculations.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-29-23, 10:48 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That seems to be the common wisdom, but I doubt that it is literally true.

Without any diet changes, cycling ~10 hours per week can elicit a deficit of ~6000 kCal. Why wouldn't that cause you to lose weight?

For some "real numbers" perspective, here's my 7-day stats from Training Peaks. I have to eat extra to maintain my weight:

Yes, cycling at 600 kcals per hour for 10 hours a week AND not changing caloric intake will of course result in weight loss, but those #s are not realistic for most folks who aren't "cyclists', and you will be hungry a lot, which most folks cannot sustain for very long, and consistency is the biggest part of the equation. A lot of folks concentrate on the loosing part, and fail at the maintaining part, which makes the next cycle (ha) that much harder. Of corse if you do long(ish) rides at a more than leisurely pace on a regular basis, weight will pretty much control itself (for most folks).
Old 09-29-23, 11:03 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I can only imagine his input data to the App was complete garbage. No way is it going to estimate a 1200 calorie burn for that sort of effort. Maybe it thought he was running, lol
Strava on his Iphone, apple watch and HR monitor.
Old 09-29-23, 11:09 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Yes, cycling at 600 kcals per hour for 10 hours a week AND not changing caloric intake will of course result in weight loss, but those #s are not realistic for most folks who aren't "cyclists', and you will be hungry a lot, which most folks cannot sustain for very long, and consistency is the biggest part of the equation. A lot of folks concentrate on the loosing part, and fail at the maintaining part, which makes the next cycle (ha) that much harder. Of corse if you do long(ish) rides at a more than leisurely pace on a regular basis, weight will pretty much control itself (for most folks).
I found that over the long haul - 1/3# per week loss is about average. Maybe 1/2#. Some weeks are less, very few are more.

Thats about a 1000-1500 cal deficit for the week. Most of that was eating "keto" - and yes, I did/do get hungry and have low energy from time to time. Thats about the best negative balance I can achieve/maintain over the long haul.

-6000 calories would not be good.
Old 09-29-23, 12:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Strava on his Iphone, apple watch and HR monitor.
I was thinking more of the basics like correct weight and activity type. None of these Apps are going to estimate a 1200 calorie burn for a slow 20 mile bike ride. Not unless it was for an elephant!

For me Strava estimates about 500 cals per hour for a slow mountain bike ride (no PM, just HRM).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-29-23, 12:29 PM
wheelreason

I found that over the long haul - 1/3# per week loss is about average. Maybe 1/2#. Some weeks are less, very few are more.

Thats about a 1000-1500 cal deficit for the week. Most of that was eating "keto" - and yes, I did/do get hungry and have low energy from time to time. Thats about the best negative balance I can achieve/maintain over the long haul.

-6000 calories would not be good.
I eat whatever I want whenever I want, and have found something interesting about weight loss/gain. I don't know the specifics of the how or why, or if true for everyone, but I find when I'm riding a lot, and stop abruptly (I do this most years) There is a period of time where I don't gain much if any weight, and then after that it comes on quickly, It's usually around 6 weeks, and again, something similar (in reverse) happens when I pick up the bike again.
Old 09-29-23, 01:47 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
[QUOTE=terrymorse;23029211]That seems to be the common wisdom, but I doubt that it is literally true.

I have no doubt you are correct theoretically. You could lock someone in a cell and not feed them and they'd lose weight. But, I don't live in that world.
Old 09-29-23, 01:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have no doubt you are correct theoretically. You could lock someone in a cell and not feed them and they'd lose weight. But, I don't live in that world.
Come on now, don't make it seem like "exercise makes you lose weight" is somehow detached from reality.

If I ride more, I lose weight. If I ride less, I gain weight. And I exist in the real world.

Old 09-29-23, 02:21 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by terrymorse
And I exist in the real world.
Your profile says Palo Alto...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 09-29-23, 03:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
I was thinking more of the basics like correct weight and activity type. None of these Apps are going to estimate a 1200 calorie burn for a slow 20 mile bike ride. Not unless it was for an elephant!
My app typically doubles the estimated calorie burn rate if I tell it I'm riding a bike with a horizontal top tube. (It also announces turn-by-turn instructions really loud as well.)
Likes For tomato coupe: