Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubular or Tubeless Wheelset?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubular or Tubeless Wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 12:34 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Actually, giving you the benefit of the doubt I just assume you have no experience with tubeless. Once seated, especially after sealant been applied, it’s actually quite challenging to unseat tire and extremely rare occurrence when out ridding. Such a catastrophic failure would mean any other tire would have been destroyed as well. Throw in a tire liner and TPU tube and you are good to go.
"Actually"?

Based on the number of posters asking for advice, because their tire always unseats upon deflation, I suspect the tubeless tire unseating problem is a bit more common than extremely rare.

I also wouldn't consider a tire bead coming off its rim hook and dropping into the rim valley "catastrophic". I'd call that "getting a puncture".

Old 12-23-23, 12:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
"Actually"?

Based on the number of posters asking for advice, because their tire always unseats upon deflation, I suspect the tubeless tire unseating problem is a bit more common than extremely rare.

I also wouldn't consider a tire bead coming off its rim hook and dropping into the rim valley "catastrophic". I'd call that "getting a puncture".
Again I am speaking from experience and you are repeating hearsay. As mentioned it is extremely rare to have such a catastrophic puncture as to lose all the air in a tubeless system, as well as unseat the bead, which is also very rare after a tires has been mounted and seated for a while.

No point in reengaging in the thousandth post litigating tubeless tech. Let the market speak for itself, the performance and sporting end of cycling has selected tubeless. This BF is the cycling equivalent of a remote South Pacific Island where a Japanese soldier is holding out still believing in Japanese superiority and the Emperor. Almost every topic discussing an issue devolves into how anything developed since the 80’s is flawed crap.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 12-23-23 at 03:16 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-23-23, 01:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Again I am speaking from experience and you are repeating here-say.
You have share a single user anecdote, the "here-say [sic]" posted on the internets are multiple anecdotes.

The plural of anecdote is "data".

Old 12-23-23, 03:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
You have share a single user anecdote, the "here-say [sic]" posted on the internets are multiple anecdotes.

The plural of anecdote is "data".
IME whenever I deflate tubeless tyres for removal they remain seated and you have to push them quite hard to break the seal. Maybe this is more of an issue with hookless rims or certain tyre/rim combinations. It would be an issue if it happened but I’ve been running tubeless mtb for 20+ years and road tubeless for 4 years and never experienced this issue.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-23-23, 05:55 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
And the urban myth continues.

Actually, giving you the benefit of the doubt I just assume you have no experience with tubeless. Once seated, especially after sealant been applied, it’s actually quite challenging to unseat tire and extremely rare occurrence when out ridding. Such a catastrophic failure would mean any other tire would have been destroyed as well. Throw in a tire liner and TPU tube and you are good to go.
this actually did happen

not a catastrophic failure - just a regular flat

the rider (a friend) was unaware he flatted and continued to ride - and the tire unseated

not a big deal - tube inserted and continued the ride - and not enough to convince him to ditch tubeless
Old 12-23-23, 06:01 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by t2p
this actually did happen

the rider (a friend) was unaware he flatted and continued to ride - and the tire unseated

not a big deal - tube inserted and continued the ride - and not enough to convince him to ditch tubeless
That makes sense now thanks.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-23-23, 08:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by t2p
this actually did happen

Yeah, that was the type of thing I was thinking of that would unseat a tire: rolling while fully deflated.

I've gotten a few rapid deflations from large punctures while riding clinchers, so I continue rolling straight and brake gently. That several seconds of rolling drops the tire off the rim hook, where it can still be ridden safely. Unless the tire fits really loosely (modern tires like GP5000 are tight), it's not going to come off the rim.

A rapid deflator from last October:

GP5000 vs drywall screw

Old 12-23-23, 10:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The difference in rotational vs static mass is insignificant when climbing. Total mass of bike and rider is all that matters in calculating how fast you will climb the mountain.

So yes, you do have to weigh all the repair items, sealant etc to do a direct, true comparison. It might still work out lighter with tubulars, but you can’t ignore the weight of a spare tyre, which is going to be pretty significant in this comparison.

Dynaplugs are pretty effective for punctures that refuse to seal and I’ve never had to remove a tubeless tyre at the roadside. But I think the OP is already familiar with tubeless setups anyway.
just for fun and to educate my self, I compared weight starting with the OP stated wheel set weights and using Vittoria Corsa Pro tubeless and tubular tire weights for 28 mm (2 tubeless and 3 tubular), adding 60 grams for sealant in 2 tires for the tuble (might be low but 30 ml per tire is what i used in tubed) and 26 grams for dyna plug kit, (and assume same pump,co2 etc setup)

I got 1700 gram for the tubeless and 1760 for tubular so 60 grams more with a spare for tubular. All said and done not significant for mere mortals (60 grams is a 1/6 cup of water)

of course this will vary between tire, rim and hub choice

I am glad I am not much of a weight weenie.....I weigh too much and am focusing on a) increasing fitness and b) weighing less. For me pushing it is 32 spoke mavic 330 tubular rims

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-23-23, 10:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Yeah, that was the type of thing I was thinking of that would unseat a tire: rolling while fully deflated.

I've gotten a few rapid deflations from large punctures while riding clinchers, so I continue rolling straight and brake gently. That several seconds of rolling drops the tire off the rim hook, where it can still be ridden safely. Unless the tire fits really loosely (modern tires like GP5000 are tight), it's not going to come off the rim.
The whole deal here is that while making a high-speed descent if a tire fails, because of the higher forces involved the chances of the tire unseating are higher .... even a lowish-speed downhill corner will possibly pull a tire off before the rider can safely brake to a stop (he said ruefully, picking up his bike, his bottles, his lights, and his scraped, bruised, battered, bleeding body.)

In other words, experience has taught me that any sort of clincher tire, tubed or tubeless will come off the rim if you keep rising it ... and yes, the tire will for a while ride half on the rim, which makes handling very sketchy, but in my experiences I have not been able to keep on riding safely on a deflated clincher. It has always either dumped my by sliding back and forth, (so that I am balancing on a rim edge, and alternating between rim edges, with one rim edge atop a sliding rubber cushion) or has come off and jammed in the brake or fork.

I have never ridden tubulars, but I would bet coming downhill at speed, a rider would feel just as unsafe because the tubular would grip the road while the rim would shift side to side .... but it might be safer for the amount of time needed to get the bike safely stopped. Not intending to perform that test.

And pretty much none of that has to do with WHEEL failure.

if the thread were titled "Is descending on anything but tubulars worth the risk," well, that is not this thread.

So if the OP deems either wheelset to be safe enough regardless of which tire style it uses .... then we are back to choosing which wheel based on other criteria.
Old 12-23-23, 11:44 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Tubular vs. Clincher weight comparison

Tubular:

Shimano C24 wheelset: 1,110g actual
Tires Continental Competition 25s 280g x 2 = 560g
Total: 1,670 g

Clincher:

Shimano C24 clincher wheelset: 1,421g actual.
Tires Continental GP5000 25s 215g x 2 = 430g
Rim strips?
Butyl tubes 100g x 2 = 200g
Total: 2,051 g

Difference: close to 400g or most of a pound.

Don't add a spare tubular, this is an unfair comparison. If you add sealant to the tubular tires, they are just as puncture resistant as tubeless with sealant. But with tubulars, you do not have to add sealant. With tubeless, you do.

And the Conti tubulars have butyl tubes, not latex tubes that you have to reinflate every few days. Compare like for like.

Almost a pound of rotating mass? Huge difference.

Can you get a rim brake option with tubeless? If no add another 110g per wheel (each rotor) of unnecessarily ballast.
Old 12-23-23, 11:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I have always LOVED the ride quality of tubulars, but they're just not practical for everyday unsupported rides. Even when I raced, I only used the tubulars during a race when there was a wheel pit or support vehicle nearby and ran clinchers while training (ok always tubulars on the velodrome, but that's irrelevant here). I even explored running tubulars with sealant in them, but realized even then you can't just throw a tube in one to get you home like you can with a tubeless tire.

Unless you have mobile support on your rides, or want a second pair you only use on rides that have roaming support, stick with tubeless.
Old 12-24-23, 12:04 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Don't add a spare tubular, this is an unfair comparison. If you add sealant to the tubular tires, they are just as puncture resistant as tubeless with sealant. But with tubulars, you do not have to add sealant. With tubeless, you do.
Not sure if I understand your reasoning. Technically, you don't have to add sealant to either kind. Without sealant, tubulars or tubeless will run just fine until you get a puncture, then they go flat. The difference is that you would throw a spare tube in the tubeless tire while you would throw on (and glue) a spare tire for the tubular. If you run sealant in both, they will both likely seal a puncture about the same, and once again the difference is as I stated previously if you get a cut larger than the sealant or plug can fix.
Old 12-24-23, 01:30 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
No. Physics says otherwise.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-24-23, 08:25 AM
PeteHski

Tubular vs. Clincher weight comparison

Tubular:

Shimano C24 wheelset: 1,110g actual
Tires Continental Competition 25s 280g x 2 = 560g
Total: 1,670 g

Clincher:

Shimano C24 clincher wheelset: 1,421g actual.
Tires Continental GP5000 25s 215g x 2 = 430g
Rim strips?
Butyl tubes 100g x 2 = 200g
Total: 2,051 g

And the Conti tubulars have butyl tubes, not latex tubes that you have to reinflate every few days. Compare like for like.

Can you get a rim brake option with tubeless? If no add another 110g per wheel (each rotor) of unnecessarily ballast.
The OP is comparing tubeless vs tubular on 2 specific wheelsets. Not that it really matters.
Old 12-24-23, 08:51 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXJ1LOqHEk

Tubulars are nearly redundant now. They were good 20 years ago.
even 20 years ago tubulars were being pushed by the top clinchers

BITD / 90’s - only a few guys in our road group rode tubulars (‘sew ups’) - and just on select bikes (not all of their bikes)

their thoughts : the top tubulars were very good / great ride etc - but below that level the tubulars were around equal to a good clincher and maybe performed below that level

in their opinion - too many were comparing the performance of a top level tubular tire to a mid level clincher (and few actually used the top level tubulars)

at that time - good portion of the group were riding Michelin (Hi Lite Comps and Super Comp HDs - later Axial Pros) … Vittoria (Open CX ? can’t recall model) … Conti GP’s …
Old 12-24-23, 08:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts

Almost a pound of rotating mass? Huge difference. .
It’ll get the OP up a 30km climb at a constant 7% grade about a minute faster — in three hours 18 minutes instead of three hours 19 minutes.

Huge.

Bike Calculator
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-24-23, 09:06 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by squirtdad
just for fun and to educate my self, I compared weight starting with the OP stated wheel set weights and using Vittoria Corsa Pro tubeless and tubular tire weights for 28 mm (2 tubeless and 3 tubular), adding 60 grams for sealant in 2 tires for the tuble (might be low but 30 ml per tire is what i used in tubed) and 26 grams for dyna plug kit, (and assume same pump,co2 etc setup)

I got 1700 gram for the tubeless and 1760 for tubular so 60 grams more with a spare for tubular. All said and done not significant for mere mortals (60 grams is a 1/6 cup of water)

of course this will vary between tire, rim and hub choice

I am glad I am not much of a weight weenie.....I weigh too much and am focusing on a) increasing fitness and b) weighing less. For me pushing it is 32 spoke mavic 330 tubular rims
That's cool, so nothing in it really. I'm not much of a weight weenie either. I think my wheelset is around 1500g ish on a sub 8 kg bike. Not super light, but not heavy enough to bother me on big mountain climbs. For me 1 kg of weight is worth about 45 sec per hour of pure climbing and next to nothing everywhere else.
Old 12-24-23, 09:13 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It’ll get the OP up a 30km climb at a constant 7% grade about a minute faster — in three hours 18 minutes instead of three hours 19 minutes.

Huge.

Bike Calculator
My Chromebook says that's not a secure connection. Does that 1-minute reduction in elapsed time simply represent a difference of a pound in overall bike weights or is rotating weight factored in?
Old 12-24-23, 09:39 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Trakhak
My Chromebook says that's not a secure connection. Does that 1-minute reduction in elapsed time simply represent a difference of a pound in overall bike weights or is rotating weight factored in?
Doesn’t matter, since the difference is trivial.

(The physics on this has been done to death… But I expect that won’t end the internet debate.)
Old 12-24-23, 11:18 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
The huge advantage of going full weight weenie is mental. Seems irrelevant but it totally matters.

It’s the same thing as a fresh new haircut gives you more confidence or how you can ride faster on your birthday. It shouldn’t matter but it does.

When we plug weights into a calculator, that’s not the whole picture. The guy who picks up his bike and it feels like it’s made from pixie dust gets that extra edge. It’s real.

Whether that “feelin fancy” threshold is for a 1600, 1100, or 750g wheelset is up to the person.

We’re organic and emotional lumps of meat rolling around. Not machines. Hard to quantify but we can’t ignore the effect either.
Old 12-24-23, 11:32 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by Koyote

Huge.

Bike Calculator
His basic calculation was flawed, he neglected to include a spare. Assuming that sealant works inside a tubular tire works the same as a tubeless, which is incorrect. Sealant does not work very well inside of a tubular tire and anyone who has tried it knows this.
Old 12-24-23, 11:45 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
When we plug weights into a calculator, that’s not the whole picture. The guy who picks up his bike and it feels like it’s made from sintered pixie dust gets that extra edge. It’s real.
ftfy
Old 12-24-23, 11:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have 4 road bikes and a cross bike. My wife has two road bikes and a cross bike. Five years ago I converted all bikes to tubeless from clincher. The only experience I can add is that we have had zero flats or problems.
Old 12-24-23, 12:09 PM
Koyote

His basic calculation was flawed, he neglected to include a spare. Assuming that sealant works inside a tubular tire works the same as a tubeless, which is incorrect. Sealant does not work very well inside of a tubular tire and anyone who has tried it knows this.
And plugs don’t work at all in a tubular tire.

Originally Posted by rosefarts
The huge advantage of going full weight weenie is mental.
Oh, it’s mental. For sure.
Old 12-24-23, 12:09 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by bruce19
I have 4 road bikes and a cross bike. My wife has two road bikes and a cross bike. Five years ago I converted all bikes to tubeless from clincher. The only experience I can add is that we have had zero flats or problems.
What do you know! My friend told me about someone he road with once that had a tire that was hard to mount and had a slow leak proving tubeless is just a marketing scam imposed on the sheep cyclists by big bike.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 12-24-23 at 12:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.