Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Track Stand

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 08:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If I had a velodrome near me I would love to see a nice stand at the track maybe selling lemonade and Italian ice in the summer. Would be nice.
I went to T-Town last year. I think they sell beer there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-14-24, 08:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I can’t track stand. ... I’m worried people won’t take me seriously, ...
I hate to break it to you, but I am afraid that the latter is already the case regardless of your inability to perform the former.
Old 01-14-24, 08:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's probably the nitrile glove patch that keeps people from taking you seriously. Or the bizarre bike fit. Or the bizarre wardrobe. Or the bizarre stalking on climbs. Or the bizarre stalking of random females. Or....
You forgot to mention the questionable sources for vodka and organic produce.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-14-24, 08:33 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
I admire anyone who rides. I admire riders who ride with consideration of traffic lights, and stop at them too. To those who occasionally sprint across red lights I still admire them, especially when they get away with grace and speed, but I don't recommend the behavior.

Track stands do confuse some drivers. I do it anyway.

Track stands didn't come easily over the first 5 years of bike commuting, but I always aspired to it. I never thought I would become as proficient as I am.

It started with keeping an eye on the traffic lights and trying to time them so I would either sprint to make them or slow down into them so that I would be able to staypinted and coasting in slow and arrive just as the light turned green.

Most of the roads and intersections, not all, have a crown, a higher altitude, in the center. It's subtle, and makes water drain and not pool in the important intersection..

As I began to see it, I could use the slight hill as something to push against with my dominant leg on the pedal. I slowly developed a technique of coasting up to the line, clocking my right crank around 3, and turning the handlebar left into the slight uphill grade, and letting the bike rock back into my right leg.

At first I had difficulty finding the right gear ratio to do this in. I also had trouble moderating the strength output of my leg. I found it easier to do a track stand standing in the pedals.

​​​​​​Wanting to sit and track stand forced me to start working on that. At the same time I wanted to be able to do it on both legs with equal facility.

Eventually I mastered this skill. I believe track stands have made me a stronger climber and a better mountain bike rider.

If I can do, most can I bet.

I'm 64 and have been bike commuting for 40 years and I track stand at every light and do not usually put a foot down until I get to work or get home, unless I stop to get groceries, pay a visit, or something like extend the ride into the hills on the way home.

I'm still working and bike commute. Been riding a fixed gear bicycle to work forany years now. I think track bikes are easier to track stand on by a long shot.
​​
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 01-14-24, 08:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Frankly it’s rather embarrassing, I’m worried people won’t take me seriously, but I cannot do it despite much practicing. Anyone else have this issue?
No
Old 01-14-24, 08:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
In countries where driving is on the right hand side of the road, the term track stand isn't really accurate.
You identify a problem but don't offer a solution.
Cool, it's the wrong term, but what is the accurate term then?
Old 01-15-24, 12:15 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
To clarify, if you cannot track stand on a slight downhill, in my view you are doing fake pseudo trackstands.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-15-24, 02:07 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Yes I can track stand on a downhill on the brakes too and much easier on the fixed gear bike.

A practical thing is that there is no time spent putting the standing foot in the pedal and if needed seating the cleat before actually applying full power.

Really though, being in a hurry and racing is not a what I aspire to on my commute. If I catch myself being in a competitive mood I try to moderate it because it generally makes the ride a suffer fest for me, especially if I attempt to close with an eBiker and keep the behind me!
Old 01-15-24, 07:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I'm just glad I can still keep my bike moving forward! I've never been too concerned with being able to stay still, and I can stay still forever with one foot down! Can't track stand-not for more than a few seconds anyway.
Old 01-15-24, 07:46 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2489 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Another cool, albeit useless technique is one that a guy in my local cycling team/club dreamed up, and the rest of us then imitated, back around 1965. Instead of coming to a complete stop and swinging your leg over the top tube or back wheel to get off the bike, you would (1) stand on the left pedal as it came up and past 12:00 and (2) let the bike shoot forward out from under you, putting your right foot down and grabbing your saddle just in time.

One of the clumsier riders once had his bike get away from him before he grabbed the saddle, to much merriment from the rest of us.

It was easy to learn that dismount technique on a track bike (which was all I owned at the time), but it was only a bit trickier on a road bike. Anyone posting here could probably learn it in about two minutes.

As far as I know, we were the only riders anywhere who used what I guess I can therefore call the "New Haven dismount."

Could come in handy for cyclocross, I imagine.

Edit: I haven't tried it in at least 40 years. Forgot to mention: loosen your toe straps first!!! And it might not work reliably with clipless pedals, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-15-24 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 07:57 AM
Trakhak

BTW, the cool kids track stand no hands, with one foot on a pedal and the other on the front wheel behind the fork. Amaze your friends!
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-15-24, 09:48 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I don't really have any need to track stand as I ride on the roads or mtb trails. Hence, I'm not on a velodrome track. It's easier to just unclip and put my foot down and wait like everyone else. It also doesn't put any unnecessary strain on the chain.
Old 01-15-24, 10:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
if you can’t track stand I don’t really take you seriously. At the end of the day it’s the legs that matter
Someone being able to ride away from me is more of a testament to their legs than doing a track stand. A track stand is a party trick.
Old 01-15-24, 10:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
To clarify, if you cannot track stand on a slight downhill, in my view you are doing fake pseudo trackstands.
Another blow to my self esteem.

I cannot trackstand on a flat,
I cannot trackstand with a bat, 🦇
I cannot trackstand on a hill,
I cannot trackstand near a mill,
I cannot trackstand heading down,
I cannot trackstand with a clown. 🤡

Old 01-15-24, 11:11 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
you forgot to mention the red and blue fishes.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-15-24, 11:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by spelger
you forgot to mention the red and blue fishes.
That's a different book.
Old 01-15-24, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

if you can’t track stand I don’t really take you seriously.
That does it! I have failed at life. Think I will go jump in front of a bus.
Old 01-15-24, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Eric F
That's a different book.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-15-24, 12:14 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Really though, being in a hurry and racing is not a what I aspire to on my commute. If I catch myself being in a competitive mood I try to moderate it because it generally makes the ride a suffer fest for me, especially if I attempt to close with an eBiker and keep the behind me!
I learned this as never race when the other guy doesn't know it's a race and there's no finish line.
Old 01-15-24, 12:23 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
A track stand is a party trick.
I think it depends. If you ride in an urban environment, for example, all the pedestrians and vehicles can already "track stand". The ability to at least poke forward dead slow is helpful.

Good balance also helps when you are trying to ride between two vehicles without touching either.
Old 01-15-24, 12:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I think it depends. If you ride in an urban environment, for example, all the pedestrians and vehicles can already "track stand". The ability to at least poke forward dead slow is helpful.

Good balance also helps when you are trying to ride between two vehicles without touching either.
This is my faux approach. Slow to an almost stop and very slowly creep forward. Have tried to do TSs over the and never quite got the hang of it, but falling now is not worth it. Sorry Larry, but I am not worthy.

Old 01-15-24, 12:50 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Riding really slowly is a different animal than a full-stop track stand to wait out a light. Don't get me wrong. IMO, a track stand is a useful skill, and I'm moderately good at it, but it has pretty much nothing to do with one's ability to pedal a bike (as Larry alluded to).
Old 01-15-24, 12:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by rsbob
This is my faux approach. Slow to an almost stop and very slowly creep forward. Have tried to do TSs over the and never quite got the hang of it, but falling now is not worth it. Sorry Larry, but I am not worthy.
On the road, the trick is to find a slope to work against (road crown, for example). Slight variations in pedal pressure adjusts your balance by moving your turned front wheel up and down the slope. Once you get a feel for the pedal pressure adjustments, you're gold. It does take some practice.
Old 01-15-24, 01:41 PM
Trakhak

I learned this as never race when the other guy doesn't know it's a race and there's no finish line.
There should be a massive increase in the number of "I dropped a fool in full Lycra!!" threads showing up in General and C&V in the spring, now that 80% Zone 2 training plans have become widespread.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-15-24, 03:13 PM
LarryMelman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
I’m worried people won’t take me seriously
You don't say.
Likes For LarryMelman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.