Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute or learn to ride first?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 09:37 AM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well I got the bike and it's better and it's light and easy to ride, but I have no idea how to ride it. Drop bars, weird brifters, the like. I think the seat needs to go back some, and definitely down since I'm ankling some and it's making my feet hurt. Can't figure out the brakes--where I'm holding the handlebars it sucks, and I get poor braking force... I think I'm supposed to just reach for the brakes and grab them in an emergency. The way the bike's set up, I won't have the reflexes to not endo; I'm pretty sure I can keep it on the ground, and the geometry's a lot better and resists endoing, but I'm leaning up and over and forward when I reach to brake and I need to react to that.

So... do I go commute? Or do I go ride around in the church parking lot for a while and figure out how this thing works?
Old 05-10-13, 09:42 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest you become more comfortable with operating the bike before mixing it up with traffic.
Old 05-10-13, 09:45 AM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Valid concern. I was thinking more the 13 miles between me and the office, but notably the last route I had was not a very traffic-intensive route and this route is very traffic-intensive. Don't want the bike to get damaged.
Old 05-10-13, 09:52 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
If it is the distance that is your concern drive your vehicle (with your bike) to within about 5 miles of where you work and park. Then ride into work and then back to your vehicle at the end of the day. Not only are you practicing your setup you are getting used to commuting and testing "things". As you feel ready park further and further away.
Old 05-10-13, 09:52 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Check that the bike is a correct size and for for you.
Old 05-10-13, 09:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
On the road, in traffic, is no place to figure out how to use a road bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-10-13, 10:03 AM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
If it is the distance that is your concern drive your vehicle (with your bike) to within about 5 miles of where you work and park. Then ride into work and then back to your vehicle at the end of the day. Not only are you practicing your setup you are getting used to commuting and testing "things". As you feel ready park further and further away.
The light rail follows the commute path roughly. Who needs to drive?
Old 05-10-13, 10:08 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First take the bike to your LBS and have the technician look it over and adjust the bike to your dimension before even starting to think of riding it on public roads. You should feel safe on it before you can feel confident to ride it with other vehicles around.
Old 05-10-13, 10:10 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Looks like the good advice crew has been here, so I shall simply wish you the best on your new bike commute venture.
Old 05-10-13, 10:12 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
Can't figure out the brakes--where I'm holding the handlebars it sucks, and I get poor braking force... I think I'm supposed to just reach for the brakes and grab them in an emergency. The way the bike's set up, I won't have the reflexes to not endo; I'm pretty sure I can keep it on the ground, and the geometry's a lot better and resists endoing, but I'm leaning up and over and forward when I reach to brake and I need to react to that.
Where are your hand situated on the bars? Here is a layman's article on hand positions that I recommend you read over.

https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/...roduction.html
Old 05-10-13, 01:39 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1100+ posts here? HTFU.
Old 05-10-13, 01:46 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
The light rail follows the commute path roughly. Who needs to drive?
There you go then. Find the stop that makes sense for you and start and end there.
Old 05-10-13, 01:48 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Popeyecahn
1100+ posts here? HTFU.
1100+ posts on not a road bike...
Old 05-10-13, 02:00 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
1100+ posts on not a road bike...
Please. Seriously, is the OP joking or what? Because that how it sounds.

Last edited by Popeyecahn; 05-10-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-10-13, 03:48 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
The first thing to do is make sure everything is adjusted properly. The brifter/drop bar combination is definitely different from other types of bars and will take some getting used to.

FWIW I have calipers on my road bike and discs on my winter bike. They feel very differently from each other. No matter which bike I get on, if I've been using the other bike for awhile the brakes will feel "wrong" to me.

It's not clear from your post where you're putting your hands on the bars. Most of the time you'll want them on the hoods of the brifters or on the drops. You should have finger tip access to shift and brake levers from those positions. If not there's some adjusting to be done.

Bars can be rotated up or down. Different stems can be used to move the bars forward or backwards and higher or lower. The brifters themselves can be repositioned on the bars. Additionally with some brifters you can use an adjustment screw to move the levers towards the bars.

Even with all the adjustments above, on one bike I could never quite get things where I wanted them so I ended up replacing the bars with another set of drop bars that had flatter ramps and flared out a bit.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-10-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-10-13, 04:50 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Have you ever seen a parent naked? Especially an opposite sex parent? Made you feel pretty creepy right? That is exactly how it feels to people who recognize your userid and see it posting reasoned, cogent and helpful responses to a *cough* troll *cough*. Ok... I get that there just might not be that much shame in your game... there is also this: everytime someone posts in a troll thread, God kills a kitten. True. God does not like ugly. Think of the kittens if you can't be bothered to think of your own self-respect.

H
Old 05-10-13, 08:52 PM
WonderMonkey

I have 1,042 posts and I've never been on a road bike.

Or I'm missing something.
Old 05-10-13, 09:04 PM
MarkvW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5:30 on a Sunday morning in a residential neighborhood is a magical time. You'll have the roads to yourself. Great time to practice.
Old 05-10-13, 09:54 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcap
Where are your hand situated on the bars? Here is a layman's article on hand positions that I recommend you read over.

Impressive death grip on those bars...
Old 05-10-13, 10:06 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Double face palm!
Old 05-12-13, 02:51 PM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hubcap

This was extremely helpful. I've got like a hundred different things I can do with this bike, but this boils it down to putting my hand in 5 places, and recommends the most useful positions and why. Makes things clearer, now I think I have enough information to work this out.

/Saddest part: I have enough information to draw a WBS for learning to ride a road bike. (Or any bike)
Old 05-13-13, 09:56 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Have you ever seen a parent naked? Especially an opposite sex parent? Made you feel pretty creepy right? That is exactly how it feels to people who recognize your userid and see it posting reasoned, cogent and helpful responses to a *cough* troll *cough*. Ok... I get that there just might not be that much shame in your game... there is also this: everytime someone posts in a troll thread, God kills a kitten. True. God does not like ugly. Think of the kittens if you can't be bothered to think of your own self-respect.

H
What is the point of this post? I see nothing that would indicate the OP is a troll. I know *many* people who ONLY ride MTB's on off-road trails. I myself had never used drop bars before I purchased my first road bike last fall. But having been a member here and perusing the road and commuting forums, I had a pretty good idea of how they worked, and the LBS helped me out, also. But if my wife were to try to ride my bike, there's no way she would know what to do with those bars and brifters.
Old 05-13-13, 12:02 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I see nothing that would indicate the OP is a troll.
I dunno, this comment: "I think I'm supposed to just reach for the brakes and grab them in an emergency."

Granted we should be easy on newbs and the like, and yes there's not much to go on here to completely understand the OP's situation i.e. cycle comprehension and training but after spending enough time here to generate over 1100 posts, you'd think a person would have figured a thing or two out by now.
Old 05-13-13, 12:18 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Consider that pretty much everyone learns to ride a bike that has more or less flat handlebars with lever brakes near the grips. Almost everyone continues using this setup until such time as they decide to get a road bike in adult-hood. I've seen or heard of very, very few teens and younger children using any sort of drop bar road bike. It makes perfect sense to me that the OP probably doesn't have full grasp on how to use them at first. Now whether or not the OP should have gotten that style of bike/handlebar without prior knowledge is beside the point. The bike has already been purchased and now OP want to learn how to use it properly.

Looking through OP's started threads, there's tons of them in the off-topic forums, and some here in commuting and others from when he was commuting ~7 miles, presumably either on the GT Tachyon or on a folding bike.
Old 05-13-13, 12:40 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Popeyecahn
I dunno, this comment: "I think I'm supposed to just reach for the brakes and grab them in an emergency."
To me it sounds like he was ridding on the tops. It does seem strange that someone who has posted that much really doesn't know where to put his hands when it comes to drop bars. On the other hand, I got my first road bike when I around 12 or 13. A decade later, kids went from BMX bikes to mountain bikes. Depending on where one lives they may have never really gotten a good look at how people position their hands on a drop bar.