Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Healthy Lifestyle Change

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Healthy Lifestyle Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 04:05 PM
MattyBoy2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Healthy Lifestyle Change

Hi All. I'm super excited to join the forums. I live in NC and am wanting to get into recreational bicycling with my wife, and two sons...(4) & (6). I'm a desk jockey professionally and have let my weight get out of hand. I'm 6'3" and 300lbs and thought that getting out in the fresh outdoors with the family would be a step in the right direction.

Both of my boys have bikes but neither my wife nor I have owned a bicycle in 20 years. Due to my size I'm struggling to find an economical choice. It would be amazing to find something under $300. If you guys have any ideas Im all ears. We plan on doing mainly pavement riding with maybe some very light off road gravel roads.

Anyways...I am super excited to be here and can't wait to jump in and do some reading.

All the best.
Matt
Old 12-14-20, 06:32 PM
ShortWhiteGuy

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 2007 Felt F90, 2020 Specialized Pitch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Matt,

Welcome, welcome. I am in Apex.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but, It is hit or miss with a lot of the shops here in the Triangle in terms of inventory, and you might have to pay top-dollar for something in your or your wife's size. I am looking for a $600-800 deal for my son's graduation gift (he will graduate from UNC Charlotte in the Spring), and the LBS's are telling me it might not be until April-May until they see "some stock". Right now, they are receiving 10 one day, 3 another, filling their pre-sale/order allotment, then going up to a week with no delivery. It really is crazy! It might be best to scan Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace for that under-$300 deal.

Doug
Old 12-14-20, 06:38 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Welcome Mattyboy, Unless you're really sure this is a hobby (quickly becomes obsessive) you want to indulge in, you can always see what Wally world has on the shelf. They're cheap and usually cheerful and you should still be able to keep up with a couple of hyper boys. Then if you decide that it's a good fit for you, maybe by then inventories will be coming back and you can 'upgrade'. When you're talking wally world bikes, it doesn't take much to upgrade, I'm about to turn 71 in a few days and I try to ride every day. It keeps me fit despite my dear wife''s wonderful cooking. Good luck,
Old 12-15-20, 06:17 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Howdy!
Old 12-17-20, 09:40 PM
LMM2855

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey Matt,
I have a friend who turned around his health situation by getting a bike. He said that the best thing about it was that it was easier on the joints. Good luck in your bicycle search and new lifestyle!